Aegis Speculation
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Haxetc
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-09-18 16:40:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Draylo said: »
You don't need to stun spells unless a tank is weakened. I don't have an Ochain or an Aegis and I can eat spells in my MDT set with Shell5.
I wanna see your resist debuff set !
By seiri 2011-09-18 16:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dodu said: »
You don't need to stun spells unless a tank is weakened. I don't have an Ochain or an Aegis and I can eat spells in my MDT set with Shell5.

I mentioned this, and it surprisingly wasn't addressed. Magic damage that isn't being reduced by an Aegis is still doing utterly non-threatening amounts of damage when properly equipped.

I'd suspect that the reason this was not addressed is because this is an aegis thread. Comparisons to ochain are expected, but anything less is irrelevant.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-09-18 16:43:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Darkanaseur said: »
I use both actually. Why would you not stun spells? Prevents melee taking damage, allowing them to continue DDing, resulting in faster kills. Aegis has more utility when magic damage is a constant, if they're being stunned, obviously Ochain pulls ahead. Spells are only a small % of an enemies overall damage, they usually melee, thus Ochain has an edge. It doesn't make Aegis useless.
Cuz 3min isn't fast enuff :/
By Starkzz 2011-09-18 16:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyways, both shields are awesome, my argument here is Dodu basically claiming Aegis gets shat on by Ochain, which I find pretty moronic, truly.
 Leviathan.Dodu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-18 16:44:40
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said: »

I mentioned this, and it surprisingly wasn't addressed. Magic damage that isn't being reduced by an Aegis is still doing utterly non-threatening amounts of damage when properly equipped.

I'd suspect that the reason this was not addressed is because this is an aegis thread. Comparisons to ochain are expected, but anything less is irrelevant.

Clearly you've missed the past four(of five) pages of discussion.
By seiri 2011-09-18 16:46:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Starkzz said: »
Anyways, both shields are awesome, my argument here is Dodu bascally claiming Aegis gets shat on by Ochain, which I find pretty moronic, truly.

Yep, both are about equal. They just do something different.

Asura.Haxetc said: »
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said: »
I use both actually. Why would you not stun spells? Prevents melee taking damage, allowing them to continue DDing, resulting in faster kills. Aegis has more utility when magic damage is a constant, if they're being stunned, obviously Ochain pulls ahead. Spells are only a small % of an enemies overall damage, they usually melee, thus Ochain has an edge. It doesn't make Aegis useless.
Cuz 3min isn't fast enuff :/

And, who REALLY has multiple melee DDs on a T4 at one time? Waste of MP and time compared to having 2~3 ranged DD chipping away without eating mage MP.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-18 16:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyways, both shields are awesome, my argument here is Dodu basically claiming Aegis gets shat on by Ochain, which I find pretty moronic, truly.

Ask the only other person in this thread who's actually been discussing anything and I'm fairly certain he'll tell you that's not even remotely the case.
 Leviathan.Rizwaan
By Leviathan.Rizwaan 2011-09-18 16:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

who 18mans hahava. just asking.
 Leviathan.Rizwaan
By Leviathan.Rizwaan 2011-09-18 16:49:15
Link | Quote | Reply

lol
Server: Odin
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-09-18 16:49:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Hes not saying that, atleast no one intelligent is saying that, what he is saying and no one should be disagreeing, is that you're getting more benefit out of Ochain at the current stage of this game.

I do find that new Celaeno mob interesting, as it pops up with 3 other fairies all casting spells on you, would give a group difficulty if they couldnt stun all 4 from casting, probably one of the few good places an Aegis might shine.
By Starkzz 2011-09-18 16:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

[/quote] While perfectly open to debate in general, 1/3 of notable VW targets don't leave any room for argument. Aegis isn't in leagues with Ochain against Voidwrought. Not sure what you two aren't understanding.[/quote]

Edit: meh, cba to fix the quote thing, but yeah.
By seiri 2011-09-18 16:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Clearly you've missed the past four(of five) pages of discussion.

Clearly you've missed that the whole discussion which, yes, diverted to VW, was still discussing AEGIS versus OCHAIN, and which was better when.
By seiri 2011-09-18 16:53:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Hitoseijuro said: »
Hes not saying that, atleast no one intelligent is saying that, what he is saying and no one should be disagreeing, is that you're getting more benefit out of Ochain at the current stage of this game.

I do find that new Celaeno mob interesting, as it pops up with 3 other fairies all casting spells on you, would give a group difficulty if they couldnt stun all 4 from casting, probably one of the few good places an Aegis might shine.

As was said earlier, ochain only decreases physical dmg by 12% above aegis while capped/reprisal. Having the near immunity to magical damage can really decrease the strain on the healers, especially when you are running with minimal support.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-09-18 16:54:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rizwaan said: »
Someone who wants all the procs they can get ? Just sayin'
By seiri 2011-09-18 16:55:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Rizwaan said: »
Someone who wants all the procs they can get ? Just sayin'

Or just someone with a big ls. Does happen that we have 14~15 people online on VW days. More that a little overkill but it happens.
 Fenrir.Yinsha
Server: Fenrir
user: Yinsha
By Fenrir.Yinsha 2011-09-18 16:57:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Aegis + Friends + Procs =

Ochain + 3 people like what even + NO PROCS
[+]
 Asura.Dtroyy
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-09-18 16:58:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Yinsha said: »

lol
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-09-18 16:59:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dtroyy said: »
Fenrir.Yinsha said: »

lol
 Shiva.Brunwulf
Server: Shiva
user: Brunwulf
By Shiva.Brunwulf 2011-09-18 17:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Gross exaggeration isn't going to make me desist. Refute what I have to say, or feel free to stop reading. I'm not entirely sure why only one other person in this thread feels it appropriate to discuss this with civility.
It's cuz you have a Masamune and idk how hard it is to tank Voidwrought on PLD1 :/

It's not hard. You don't need either Aegis or Ochain to do it. Hell you can do it with Ancile.
 Asura.Haxetc
By Asura.Haxetc 2011-09-18 17:18:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Brunwulf said: »
Gross exaggeration isn't going to make me desist. Refute what I have to say, or feel free to stop reading. I'm not entirely sure why only one other person in this thread feels it appropriate to discuss this with civility.
It's cuz you have a Masamune and idk how hard it is to tank Voidwrought on PLD1 :/

It's not hard. You don't need either Aegis or Ochain to do it. Hell you can do it with Ancile.
PLD1 can't equip Ancile. I never said it was hard to tank Voidwrought
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-09-18 17:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Hes not saying that, atleast no one intelligent is saying that, what he is saying and no one should be disagreeing, is that you're getting more benefit out of Ochain at the current stage of this game. I do find that new Celaeno mob interesting, as it pops up with 3 other fairies all casting spells on you, would give a group difficulty if they couldnt stun all 4 from casting, probably one of the few good places an Aegis might shine.
As was said earlier, ochain only decreases physical dmg by 12% above aegis while capped/reprisal. Having the near immunity to magical damage can really decrease the strain on the healers, especially when you are running with minimal support.
The points being brought and discussed with that subject is that Aegis requires more gear needed to maintain an adequite block rating, while Ochain can get away with just merits w/o suffering any detrimental impact on its blocking %. While Aegis and Ochain are within a 5-15% reduction difference on physical. Ochain can idle in better gear, faster TP or better damage reduction.

The magical damage, clearly Aegis % difference is much higher in the amount of magical damage being reduced. However, whats being taken into account with that, is that the damage is not high enough to be deadly, thus not warranting using Aegis over Ochain. Stuns are also the issue aswell, as they further increase Ochains utility. Though stuns do build resist or a mob can be resistant to stuns.

Either way im pretty sure in the right hands, both shields will never go to waste. Though unless SE picks up the magic damage, youll see more use out of Ochain, and probably feel your 150M could have been spent else where, maybe on excal(if it recieves any noticiable boost)
 Shiva.Brunwulf
By Shiva.Brunwulf 2011-09-18 17:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh sorry, read it the wrong way. Thought you meant he didn't know how hard it was tanking with him being a lvl 1 PLD :)
By seiri 2011-09-18 17:23:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Hes not saying that, atleast no one intelligent is saying that, what he is saying and no one should be disagreeing, is that you're getting more benefit out of Ochain at the current stage of this game. I do find that new Celaeno mob interesting, as it pops up with 3 other fairies all casting spells on you, would give a group difficulty if they couldnt stun all 4 from casting, probably one of the few good places an Aegis might shine.
The points being brought and discussed with that subject is that Aegis requires more gear needed to maintain an adequite block rating, while Ochain can get away with just merits w/o suffering any detrimental impact on its blocking %. While Aegis and Ochain are within a 5-15% reduction difference on physical. Ochain can idle in better gear, faster TP or better damage reduction.

The magical damage, clearly Aegis % difference is much higher in the amount of magical damage being reduced. However, whats being taken into account with that, is that the damage is not high enough to be deadly, thus not warranting using Aegis over Ochain. Stuns are also the issue aswell, as they further increase Ochains utility. Though stuns do build resist or a mob can be resistant to stuns.

Either way im pretty sure in the right hands, both shields will never go to waste. Though unless SE picks up the magic damage, youll see more use out of Ochain, and probably feel your 150M could have been spent else where, maybe on excal(if it recieves any noticiable boost)

Truthfully no decent aegis PLD should be taking enough physical damage to warrant the use of ochain over aegis. It does work both ways as well.
[+]
 Shiva.Brunwulf
By Shiva.Brunwulf 2011-09-18 17:24:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Both shields are situational. If you live in a perfect world and everything that needs to be stunned is stunned then Ochain all the way. But we don't live in that world. And a lot of NMs build resistance to stun. With Aegis you can be quite a bit more liberal with stuns. But on the same note if you're fighting something with weaker nukes and an easy stun then Ochain is the way to go. Personally I'm doing both. Cause Ochain looks good with AF3. :)
By seiri 2011-09-18 17:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Both shields are situational. If you live in a perfect world and everything that needs to be stunned is stunned then Ochain all the way. But we don't live in that world. And a lot of NMs build resistance to stun. With Aegis you can be quite a bit more liberal with stuns. But on the same note if you're fighting something with weaker nukes and an easy stun then Ochain is the way to go. Personally I'm doing both. Cause Ochain looks good with AF3. :)

I'd just say its all preference and play style.
By Odin.Hitoseijuro 2011-09-18 17:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Truthfully no decent aegis PLD should be taking enough physical damage to warrant the use of ochain over aegis. It does work both ways as well.
Which is another debate aswell, Ochain being so much easier to make, can you warrant getting Aegis vs something else? Is Aegis still something to be made if you already have an Ochain?
By seiri 2011-09-18 17:33:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Which is another debate aswell, Ochain being so much easier to make, can you warrant getting Aegis vs something else? Is Aegis still something to be made if you already have an Ochain?

In this case I would say no. Thing to consider though is that aegis is still considered a major goal for any career PLD, whereas ochain is a new shiney. Personally though I would stick to ochain.
 Shiva.Brunwulf
By Shiva.Brunwulf 2011-09-18 17:48:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Had I not already been on Ancile I would focus on finishing Ochain and would be happy with it. The time farming to get Aegis is rough. But it's a long time goal and there's no way I walk away from Aegis at Ancile. Either way you go you can't lose. Noone will ever say you're stupid you shoulda got the other one. If they do then they're mean and their parents should have raised them better.
[+]
By Entourage 2011-09-18 18:29:47
Link | Quote | Reply

With Aegis you can be quite a bit more liberal with stuns. But on the same note if you're fighting something with weaker nukes and an easy stun then Ochain is the way to go.

I can only think of one nuke that needs to be stunned in current voidwatch, and even then its situational. Unless they add Blizzaga V and the like I don't expect this to change.

Stop acting like 50% mdt isn't enough for every situation. Additionally "overall amount of damage reduced" doesn't mean anything, because even in voidwatch MP pool is near unlimited.
 Leviathan.Dodu
By Leviathan.Dodu 2011-09-18 22:12:14
Link | Quote | Reply

And people who burn their WHM to 90 in Abyssea can't heal either, right?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7