Paladin FAQ, Info, And Trade Studies.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Paladin FAQ, Info, and Trade Studies.
Paladin FAQ, Info, and Trade Studies.
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 ... 45 46 47
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2015-01-06 05:48:13
Link | Quote | Reply

err divine i should say
[+]
 Asura.Highwynn
Server: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-06 09:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Can get 72 enlight with 480 divine i think. Get the +5 from gifts, merit it if you can, the turban from meebles is soloable and gives +13, paragon hands can get up to 5, beatific earring, globdionta ring, divine torque, bishop sash, sea cape, AF body, etc. i think 73 is the cap at 500 skill, 72 at 480 is more feasible since 500 would require a water staff, grip, templar sabotons and knight's earring from divine might :/
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-06 10:26:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Based on the enlight formula, at 500 skill it will be 75 starting dmg.

You missed one piece of gear. Kaiser legs with +5 skill aug.

500 skill still isn't reasonable atm, but PLD is finally getting close. With all gear, except wep/grip, and the skill+ gift, PLD can reach 499 skill. -.-; 497 without Knight's earring. It is actually attainable on lightsdays when using Nesanica Torque(without wep/grip use.)

The inventory cost of hitting 497 is pretty horrendous though. I'm hoping the next time they add divine skill+ gear it's a big value that cuts down on slots used.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
Server: Leviathan
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2015-01-07 13:17:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Divine magic. Having a set doesn't hurt, but with just capped skill and merits it provides a full-time bonus of 64 accuracy before Swordplay, which is immense

Edit: Didn't notice the page change. Things already covered.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-08 10:00:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Wish there were more divine spells and PLD had better divine equipment. Compared to drk and their dark magic, our divine spells are lackluster. It's still odd to me that holy and holy 2 have nkt been readjusted or repurposed. I mean their mp costs are exorbitant and they're only useful under misery or divine emblem, otherwise they're worthless. Need some +20 divine skill pieces already. :/
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Dawnn
By Dawn Charis 2015-01-08 10:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been out for almost 2 years now, and curious to what's changed. Have they lessened the amount of heavy metal plates for anything? Also how difficult is leveling shield skill at this time? Thinking of getting back into the swing of things and trying PLD out a bit but the skillups make me cringe.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-08 10:32:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Still need 1500 plates but who takes ochain past 90? Ochain/aegis are still best for physical/magic. Things to note however: aegis' block rate on ilvl mobs is very poor. Since player level is still 99 but mob level is over 99, there's a stepwise decrease to shield block rate on higher level mobs. Since aegis doesnt have any shield skill, it's virtually worthless against physical damage on hard content unless reprisal or palisade are up. Ochain blocks most frequently but some of the new ilvl shields like priwen and a few of the 119 shields technically reduce more damage on block and come pretty close to ochain block rate(due to having +100 or more shield skill on them). Shield levels very fast if you pull a bunch of mandragoras from abyssea and tank them against a wall with some skillup food/gear. You can skillup shield to cap in probably about 20-30minutes if you do it correctly. Look up the new sparks equipment that enhances combat skiil rate, and skillup enhancing food. Throw on ochain or a size 1 shield, alternate reprisal and palisade(sub rdm for self haste for lower reprisal recast), and wear enough pdt/def gear such that combined with phalanx you take 0 damage then you can afk or make a script that keeps casting phalanx(wont be interrupted if you take 0dmg) and reprisal and go watch some anime or play another game while you cap.
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-01-08 10:42:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Still need 1500 plates but who takes ochain past 90? Ochain/aegis are still best for physical/magic. Things to note however: aegis' block rate on ilvl mobs is very poor. Since player level is still 99 but mob level is over 99, there's a stepwise decrease to shield block rate on higher level mobs. Since aegis doesnt have any shield skill, it's virtually worthless against physical damage on hard content unless reprisal or palisade are up. Ochain blocks most frequently but some of the new ilvl shields like priwen and a few of the 119 shields technically reduce more damage on block and come pretty close to ochain block rate(due to having +100 or more shield skill on them). Shield levels very fast if you pull a bunch of mandragoras from abyssea and tank them against a wall with some skillup food/gear. You can skillup shield to cap in probably about 20-30minutes if you do it correctly. Look up the new sparks equipment that enhances combat skiil rate, and skillup enhancing food. Throw on ochain or a size 1 shield, alternate reprisal and palisade(sub rdm for self haste for lower reprisal recast), and wear enough pdt/def gear such that combined with phalanx you take 0 damage then you can afk or make a script that keeps casting phalanx(wont be interrupted if you take 0dmg) and reprisal and go watch some anime or play another game while you cap.
To add to this, find a wall with the mobs attacking you, then go first person and slowly walk backwards with your side obviously against the wall, instead of the mobs circling around you, they should all be in front of you basically clipping through eachother so you'll be shield blocking all of them, for bonus points you could engage a distant mob for parrying skill ups as well.
By Pantafernando 2015-01-08 10:50:17
Link | Quote | Reply

For skill ups, when i leveled pld, i already had ochain. So, right after i aby burned it, i had 1000+ mins in aby, so i just grab the def/regen atmas, pulled mobs and left my char overnight and went to sleep.
 Quetzalcoatl.Midgetking
Server: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Midgetking 2015-01-11 17:00:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Does anyone have a good Aeolian Edge Set for PLD?

I have a good base any help will be great!
By Chimerawizard 2015-01-11 18:17:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Midgetking said: »

My pld friend told me either of these sets will work.

ItemSet 332237

ItemSet 332236
 Bismarck.Stanislav
Server: Bismarck
user: daNpwr
By Bismarck.Stanislav 2015-01-12 04:07:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Midgetking said: »

This is what I use if I want to bother with my time and mess around with inventory, but being 78/80 without this stuff sucks. If you have the inventory space then more power to you.

ItemSet 332278
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-01-12 08:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

To add to my previous enlight question, what Divine skill do people gun for?

I'm looking at it and currently I'd go for 440 skill for 67 initial damage but from what has been discussed up to 480 is achievable albeit with inventory concerns.

So what do you go for? 440 for 67 damage, 460 for 70 or 480 for 72?
By FaeQueenCory 2015-01-12 09:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone once told me very recently: "bluhbluh inventory doesn't matter in regards to optimization bluhbluhbluh"

As someone who lives in the real world, who can't afford 50,000 mules to swap entire inventories with for every job and subjob change... Yeah.
Get as much as you can that also is useable by other relevant jobs.
That's my MO. (Eg: if there's a nonAF glove with +15 divine magic on it, that useable by PLD only... And another with +12~14 but can also be used by RUN... I'd always get the multijob one. Even if it's not "optimized" because "12~14<15durrdurr"... The difference is so small that you're not gonna see much, if any in this case, difference between the two.)

Also, I tend to favor gear that serves more than just a single purpose. Better to have one piece that does two things well, rather than two pieces that do those same things barely better.
But that's just me.

Which is why you should find what you need to dedicate yourself with how much inventory you have.
(460 btdubbs for your question, 2 extra acc for two hits when multihits happen... Yeah that's kinda a waste. Though 440 is solid too if you factor how often you multihit for. Especially given how enlight is basically always up.)

Anyone who says "inventory concerns have no relevance to optimization" clearly never made it very far in mathematics. (Or statistics I guess...)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-01-12 09:45:41
Link | Quote | Reply

inventory concerns have no relevance because unless you cart around a bunch of completely useless ***you can gear all 22 jobs without using a mule

use your storage slips, throw out your garbage, and if you must store every crafting mat you come upon make a single mule to do so(preferable that you just sell them as you get them, since price is on a permanent downslope for most)
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-01-12 10:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

When I talk about inventory concerns, I refer more to, what you can have on you top equip, aka Inventory and Wardrobe, unless you have some really bizarre way of quickly swapping ***between Satchel, Sack, Case and Inventory.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-13 16:16:51
Link | Quote | Reply

So Svalinn can get augmented up to 12 defense(65+12) would that increase it's damage absorbed since damage absorbtion is always correlated with the def on the shield? Or would it just simple increase player defense and not damage blocked?

Would be interesting to see if it approaches Ochain level but absorbs more damage with a +Def Augment and a "increases chances of block". It already has +112 skill which I think Martel said allowed Steadfast or Killedar to approach Ochain levels sort of. If a Def 65(+12) could approach Ochain blockrate even further, it would be interesting for future content, as the blockrate of Ochain continues to wane due to lack of +skill?

I can't see Ochain remaining relevant past 130 or 140 content, and even if they did allow 119 ochain or something, 95% of Paladins aren't gonna want to to turn in 1500 plates and 60 rifts to 99 their shield so they can ilvl it. May need to start looking into ilvl shields perhaps?
By Calibeaner916 2015-01-13 16:48:19
Link | Quote | Reply

So Svalinn can get augmented up to 12 defense(65+12) would that increase it's damage absorbed since damage absorbtion is always correlated with the def on the shield? Or would it just simple increase player defense and not damage blocked?

Would be interesting to see if it approaches Ochain level but absorbs more damage with a +Def Augment and a "increases chances of block". It already has +112 skill which I think Martel said allowed Steadfast or Killedar to approach Ochain levels sort of. If a Def 65(+12) could approach Ochain blockrate even further, it would be interesting for future content, as the blockrate of Ochain continues to wane due to lack of +skill?

I can't see Ochain remaining relevant past 130 or 140 content, and even if they did allow 119 ochain or something, 95% of Paladins aren't gonna want to to turn in 1500 plates and 60 rifts to 99 their shield so they can ilvl it. May need to start looking into ilvl shields perhaps?
any real Pld will. time to separate the Pld's from the boys. but this could also be a part of SE's plan to get people back into doing VW and maybe a plan to upgrade crappy Emp weapons? would be nice.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-13 17:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If they bridge the gap between ochain and ilvl shields more so there's ~5% difference in performance then yeah. I mean most 119 gear is pretty much on par with relic/emp, mythic is a diff story due to their unique bonuses and aftermath.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-13 17:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The augment def, "Might" count towards block dmg-. That'd be as far as I'd be willing to act on it prior to testing.

Killedar only approached Ochain back on the test server, when it had +215 skill. Well, or if you use crappy enough mobs.

Currently, vs a 126 mob, Killedar would have a 27.63% block rate. To match Ochain, before reprisal, it'd need 51% block rate. To match Ochain+reprisal it'd need 77% block rate. Which isn't happening on current content. And even then, it'd still be less reliable at preventing the kinda spike dmg that kills PLDs.

Currently the strongest contender vs Ochain is Priwen. Once reprisal goes up, it has a very high block rate. I've tested at 85% on 126 mobs. Putting it at -75% total dmg reduction. Which is, yes, higher than Ochain's -66% at 100% block rate.

But Ochain still has notable advantages.

:1 Ochain can cap block rate. Priwen, even under reprisal, can't. The math, and the reprisal formula released by SE indicates that Priwen should be able to hit 100% on mobs of a low enough level. But even on 109 mobs, priwen couldn't cap.

But Ochain can. This makes it extremely reliable at preventing the freak DMG spikes that can kill a PLD. And lets it reliably prevent any physical based ws additional status

:2 Priwen relies on a buff, that relies on haste buff to let you full time it. Can be dispelled and could be prevented from casting. And once it drops, your defenses tank. Even without Reprisal, Ochain maintains 70% block rate on 126 mobs.
By Chyula 2015-01-13 17:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

you can tank anything without ochain, hell I use aegis more than ochain. Ochain is really becoming a gimmick now when you are rocking almost 50% -dt gears. I know blocking is nice but when normal swing only hit you 80 damage range its pointless, and when tp move have no threat to you the blocking rate just become a luxury you can live without it.
 Asura.Highwynn
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-13 17:36:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Try tanking VD avatars with Aegis and get back to me when you eat a 3k Pred Claw to the face when Reprisal is down.

Doing VD fights without Ochain or ilvl shield is suicide. I have been caught without swapping shield back from Aegis to ochain and been one shotted by MR's rampage, VD leviathan's Spinning Dive and Garuda's pred claw. You cannot block physical damage for sh*t with aegis on anything higher than normal without reprisal/palisade and if you get caught with those down, you're no better off than a DD in pdt gear.

Certain fights require shield swapping, VD avatars is one of those type of fights(unless you'e relying solely on scherzo).
 Bismarck.Stanislav
Server: Bismarck
user: daNpwr
By Bismarck.Stanislav 2015-01-14 04:16:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Try tanking VD avatars with Aegis and get back to me when you eat a 3k Pred Claw to the face when Reprisal is down.

Doing VD fights without Ochain or ilvl shield is suicide. I have been caught without swapping shield back from Aegis to ochain and been one shotted by MR's rampage, VD leviathan's Spinning Dive and Garuda's pred claw. You cannot block physical damage for sh*t with aegis on anything higher than normal without reprisal/palisade and if you get caught with those down, you're no better off than a DD in pdt gear.

Certain fights require shield swapping, VD avatars is one of those type of fights(unless you'e relying solely on scherzo).

If I remember correctly, Scherzo won't do anything unless each hit is over 1k (never seen p-claws or rush go over 3-4k on my SAM)
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
By Cerberus.Tidis 2015-01-14 04:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Stanislav said: »

If I remember correctly, Scherzo won't do anything unless each hit is over 1k (never seen p-claws or rush go over 3-4k on my SAM)
I did wonder if there was any truth to those claims, I was sceptical when he mentioned being one shot by VD MR's Rampage, I personally have tanked VD MR several times and always full-timed Aegis below 30% and never even been close to being one shot by Rampage.

Not done any avatar fights full-stop though but it seems bizarre SE would allow there to be a VD fight that physically can one shot the most turtled up job in the game.
 Odin.Quixacotl
Server: Odin
user: Quixacotl
By Odin.Quixacotl 2015-01-18 21:29:27
Link | Quote | Reply

FaeQueenCory said: »
/war is always good. Flash+provoke=good establishing hate.
/dnc isn't bad either, extra curing, weaker provoke, acc bonus, haste samba and enlight don't play, but you can choose between the two as necessary. It's an overlooked subjob that actually gets good results.
/nin is the same as always. Used where shadows are good.
/sam for lolGS. (And cap farming DDmode.)
/blu is more magical hate shenanigans. LOTS of enmity generation and cocoon can make your defense even more stupid... And since defense is a thing now... That's good.
/run is single-element-0-magic-dmg. Things like WKR, even delve if you wanted, HTAvatars, basically anything that uses only one element. Isn't as good as when runes generated enmity... But it makes Aegis have you take 0 magic damage when used properly.

That's all the subjobs that are useful today, I think... /rdm is dead since with Ochain and the shield mechanics now, the FC isn't a boon like it used to be... Plus PLD no longer really is helped by the selfcast SS... Remember that? (Reprisal, Palisade, Ochain, and natural phalanx killed the boon that SS gave PLD.)

I'm able to use any support job but for the most part my top choice for super-tanking is /SCH. Without a doubt I /WAR for hate-tanking. But when it comes to certain BF's like I109 paper (D), DM2, AA and Nexus to name a few, people are always asking me why /SCH? I explain that Light Arts + Celerity gives me nearly non-stop Reprisal. I also have all the -na spells whenever the healer is too slow. So hey that works for me.
 Asura.Linkan
user: Linkan
By Asura.Linkan 2015-01-21 23:00:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Might have to level up sch.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-21 23:27:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Quixacotl said: »
I'm able to use any support job but for the most part my top choice for super-tanking is /SCH. Without a doubt I /WAR for hate-tanking. But when it comes to certain BF's like I109 paper (D), DM2, AA and Nexus to name a few, people are always asking me why /SCH? I explain that Light Arts + Celerity gives me nearly non-stop Reprisal. I also have all the -na spells whenever the healer is too slow. So hey that works for me.
These are all good arguments... for /SCH as a solo sub. Every benefit mentioned is rendered redundant by having competent support.

Reprisal can be full timed with capped magic/gearhaste. No need for lightarts+celerity.

The mp efficiency of light arts becomes irrelevant, again with reasonable support. Much the same for sublimation. And on anything serious sublimation tends to not get to fillup(hp gets knocked below 50% and it stops) And takes forever to cap in any case.

Oh. And not that cure enmity is any good, but Tranquil heart just makes it worse.

The sole actual benefit in a group setting could perhaps be the enhanced phalanx potency from light arts higher enhancing skill. I forget how much higher it is though. -1~2 more I suppose. (EDIT: It would indeed be an additional -2 dmg. /sch hits the 443 skill tier for -33 dmg. Other subs are limited to the 386 tier for -31(before any phalanx augs))

If you can't trust your support, then by all means, use /sch. But please don't try to pass it off as a good tanking sub. You're finding it so because you're soloing in a party setting.
By Heimdel 2015-01-23 22:41:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Why do plds not use Rapier type sword with the faster hit rate and piercing dmg? Or at least carry one for when fighting piercing weak mobs.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2015-01-23 22:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

done vd mithra hundreds(not an exaggeration, 681 ch.8s in my brds satchel right now) of times, always fulltime aegis from 30% to dead, use no defensive buffs, no food, and rarely any JAs beyond defender

never died to rampage or even close

avatars will mess you up in aegis though
By Heimdel 2015-01-23 22:59:31
Link | Quote | Reply

You can mule those.
First Page 2 3 ... 42 43 44 ... 45 46 47