users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » Mandau & Offhand Dagger
Mandau & Offhand Dagger
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
By seiri 2010-11-06 21:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Bladefury said:
seiri said:
Offhand dagger would seriously depend what damage type you wish to aim for - DoT or WS. Mandau/Sax is about the best DoT combo you can get but lacks boosting stats for ur WS. Total delay 176+150=326. Base thf dual wield + raiders + suppo would drop it to 260.8dly. Looking at your gear im assuming you will be hitting 26% haste, which then drops your overall delay to 194.3~. Assuming you have RDM haste at least your base delay works out at 155.1~. Not included /nin into this, delay ends up at 145.5~. Lack of boosting stats on Sax is helped by the acc tho, as you could lose the acc back in place of an att back. Only thing i will say is that using homam would over shoot the haste cap. For a WS build DD, get a trials dagger. Hellish but...your best evis offhand dagger is Twash+1...+10dex. Dex kila+1 comes second. With razed ruin, evis is the best dagger WS, especially stacked with SA. Outside of abyssea, Mercy Stroke can be nice if you can build enough STR for it - STR Kila+1 goes. In general though, stick to evis or mand. stab. Exception to this is if your Elv, in which case Mercy can be much easier to gear for. Only downside is that it shares a different mod to SA, which is why i'd say stick to mand. or evis most of the time. Edit: Overall DoT build usually works out the best unless your vs higher def mobs, as your WS dmg wont be much weaker and your overall DoT dmg will outweigh. Harder stuff, higher base dmg on kila comes out trumps. Further edit: Oddly enough if you use can make good use of Rudra's storm, mainhanding Twashtar+1 and actually OFFHANDING Mandau may be a better option. Both have 176 delay, and mandau (85) only wins on dmg by 1 point. In these situations, Mandau becomes scarily close to obsolete in a capped build, but not quite :D.
Let's just say that offhanding Mandau is NOT going to happen. My hope is that SE will pull their heads outta their *** and fix these new weapons or upgrade the relics... about the only reason I upgraded a Mandau was the promise of it not being beat, and I'll QQ myself to the grave with it if I must. Edit: Forgot to mention that I pretty much use Evisceration solely in Abyssea as you stated. Sadly, missed the 4k dmg mark today by hitting 3987 with my gimpy level 80 Mandau. Either way, I'm still happy with my THF and being able to beat out most other AH DD's that are in the xp pts I'm in =)

Haha, and most well geared DDs too i bet.

Can totally understand sticking to it though, and as a DoT dagger its still the best - poison and triple dmg chance as well as higher base dmg and low delay all help.

Have you experimented with mercy stroke much?
 Leviathan.Bladefury
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Bladefury
By Leviathan.Bladefury 2010-11-07 12:38:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Mercy Stroke in Abyssea just cannot hit the same kind of numbers as Evisceration since getting the Raized Ruins Atma... sucks, but what can ya do! Have yet to get the Voracious Violet Atma myself, but that's in the works for this week... will experiment with Mercy Stroke more with the additional STR buff, but expect it to fall short still due to the Crit buffs applied to Evisceration.
By seiri 2010-11-07 12:41:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, i was talking outside of abyssea haha. Compared to 5+ strikes, all boosted by the atma, 1 hit WSs aint gonna cut it.

My experience with MS is limited to Batardu tests in dyna, but from toying a little it has potential - without a dedicated build it usually beats mandalic stab n rivals evis/DE for me.

Would be interested to see what a dedicated build could throw off.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Server: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-07 12:43:28
Link | Quote | Reply

How does forced crit mercy stroke do w/ razed ruin?
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-11-07 12:56:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Iunno I'd suggest the High DMG parazonium if you're going after DD, but if you're going after fast TP build do the 2-3.
By seiri 2010-11-07 13:01:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

Nothing special. Friend of mine had a try out on bugards with a decent enough build. Maxxed out at 2.7~ with SATA, averaging 1.9~2.2 with just SA or TA. His evis never hit lower thn 2.1, and averaged 3.2 with a single stack, never bothered to double stack at that point.
 Leviathan.Bladefury
user: Bladefury
By Leviathan.Bladefury 2010-11-12 14:33:15
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Nothing special. Friend of mine had a try out on bugards with a decent enough build. Maxxed out at 2.7~ with SATA, averaging 1.9~2.2 with just SA or TA. His evis never hit lower thn 2.1, and averaged 3.2 with a single stack, never bothered to double stack at that point.

The numbers you are stating are pretty accurate with what I have seen in my short time with my completed level 85 Mandau. On a further note... screw you puks, evil *** with your Obfuscate & Mantle just as I'm using WS :( Evisceration unstacked does these numbers pretty reliably with RR, and even with VV Atma on, it still didn't push the damage up much on Mercy.

Am doing the STR/Att Kila +1 for now, knowing that level cap will continue increasing tells me to just go for something that will have the ability to increase with it. Could be a bad decision by the end, but then again with Empyreans beating the crap outta my relic at the moment, it seems that the relic was a bad decision in retrospect as well... oh well.. <3 my shiny gold pretty, even if it is gimp now!

Thanks for the input by all... and on a side note, Fire Weather doesn't exist!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-11-12 15:41:45
Link | Quote | Reply

On the topic of offhand daggers, I was wondering. I know Rapidus Sax is probably the best offhand dagger for DoT, but how would to OA2-3 times dagger compare if spamming evisceration in abyssea with Razed Ruin while main handing a DEX Kila?

I was just curious really, I'm leaning towards the OA2-3, but I have nothing to back this up with other than 'gut feeling' which is never enough to go on lol.
 Remora.Laphine
Server: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2010-11-12 20:53:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Rapidus is not the best for dot, it's the best on ws frequency. Since it trades little dot to reach high ws frequency, it's probably the best sub weapon for overall damage.

But we shouldn't really say best lol (but best cost/benefit thats for sure lol). Magian OAT certainly beats it. I never ran any numbers to say % tho.

I do know however that multi hit weapons for thf suffer from the same problems that war has. Triple attack/double attack and multi hits from weapon are mutually exclusive. So these weapons lose a lot of their "oomph!".

Still if you are going for a multi hit dagger, it's better going with OAT one imo. On dps, OA2-3 has some lowish rates (1.7 hits on average, was it?) that doesn't counter their low base damage. OAT Parazonium +1 acts like a 36 damage/150 delay for dps calculations (rapidus is 32/150, so yeah lol). On ws frequency, i doubt OA2-3 increase can counter that low dps.
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2010-11-12 21:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Excelior said:
>.> Rapidus Sax is hands down the best dagger for off hand in this situation. I wouldn't even bother making the peeler because you have the current best off hand weapon. I find it difficult to believe other non-magian daggers won't be released within further updates that remain better then magian.

this
By seiri 2010-11-12 22:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Laphine said:
Rapidus is not the best for dot, it's the best on ws frequency. Since it trades little dot to reach high ws frequency, it's probably the best sub weapon for overall damage. But we shouldn't really say best lol (but best cost/benefit thats for sure lol). Magian OAT certainly beats it. I never ran any numbers to say % tho. I do know however that multi hit weapons for thf suffer from the same problems that war has. Triple attack/double attack and multi hits from weapon are mutually exclusive. So these weapons lose a lot of their "oomph!". Still if you are going for a multi hit dagger, it's better going with OAT one imo. On dps, OA2-3 has some lowish rates (1.7 hits on average, was it?) that doesn't counter their low base damage. OAT Parazonium +1 acts like a 36 damage/150 delay for dps calculations (rapidus is 32/150, so yeah lol). On ws frequency, i doubt OA2-3 increase can counter that low dps.

For overall DoT if your making use of the 1% haste, sax is indeed the best parsed DoT dagger. As for WS frequence, OA 2-3 para+1 is better cus its equivilent to a 105~ delay dagger giving a 211 delay daggers tp.

Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said:
On the topic of offhand daggers, I was wondering. I know Rapidus Sax is probably the best offhand dagger for DoT, but how would to OA2-3 times dagger compare if spamming evisceration in abyssea with Razed Ruin while main handing a DEX Kila? I was just curious really, I'm leaning towards the OA2-3, but I have nothing to back this up with other than 'gut feeling' which is never enough to go on lol.

Beats the crap outta offhand sax. Average 30% faster tp = 30% more WSs = 30% more evis rapage. With full marches/haste the tp gain bonus can get upped as high as 50%.

Leviathan.Bladefury said:
seiri said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
The numbers you are stating are pretty accurate with what I have seen in my short time with my completed level 85 Mandau. On a further note... screw you puks, evil *** with your Obfuscate & Mantle just as I'm using WS :( Evisceration unstacked does these numbers pretty reliably with RR, and even with VV Atma on, it still didn't push the damage up much on Mercy. Am doing the STR/Att Kila +1 for now, knowing that level cap will continue increasing tells me to just go for something that will have the ability to increase with it. Could be a bad decision by the end, but then again with Empyreans beating the crap outta my relic at the moment, it seems that the relic was a bad decision in retrospect as well... oh well.. <3 my shiny gold pretty, even if it is gimp now! Thanks for the input by all... and on a side note, Fire Weather doesn't exist!

Aye, i was quoting a parse a friend did. MS just doesnt hold up anymore.

Mandau is still great, its only small but the triple dmg chance is useful - 5% proc so pretty much 10% more non WS DoT, as well as a decent poison effect. Also, the 30att is great for any multi hit WS and especially for mand. stab outside of abys.

Ramuh.Lilsanchez said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
>.> Rapidus Sax is hands down the best dagger for off hand in this situation. I wouldn't even bother making the peeler because you have the current best off hand weapon. I find it difficult to believe other non-magian daggers won't be released within further updates that remain better then magian.
this

Problem is magian daggers add a huge amount of base stat, as well as other useful traits. If your going for pure WS dmg per WS, magian daggers come trumps. I'll grant that sax takes it for WS speed and para+1 takes it even more.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 22:33:58
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:
Beats the crap outta offhand sax. Average 30% faster tp = 30% more WSs = 30% more evis rapage. With full marches/haste the tp gain bonus can get upped as high as 50%.
How exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that increasing haste buffs increases the margin by which the weapon with haste apparently loses?

PS 150 vs 211 delay
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-11-12 22:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Preliminary math I did suggested Sax to be inferior to a fully upgraded Magian DD dagger, but superior to any other nonrelic/empyrean option.
By seiri 2010-11-12 23:02:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
How exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that increasing haste buffs increases the margin by which the weapon with haste apparently loses? PS 150 vs 211 delay

150dly 1 hit vs 211 dly 2hit (averaging out).

Say 25% dual wield, 112.5 vs 158.

Add 26% haste (im assuming this as the OP is a relic holder)
83.25dly vs 116.92.

Add spell haste
66.375 dly vs 93.22 dly. Gap between delays has dropped from 61 to 27. Add marches and the gap decreases even more.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
How exactly did you arrive at the conclusion that increasing haste buffs increases the margin by which the weapon with haste apparently loses? PS 150 vs 211 delay

150dly 1 hit vs 211 dly 2hit (averaging out).

Say 25% dual wield, 112.5 vs 158.

Add 26% haste (im assuming this as the OP is a relic holder)
83.25dly vs 116.92.

Add spell haste
66.375 dly vs 93.22 dly. Gap between delays has dropped from 61 to 27. Add marches and the gap decreases even more.

...do you actually know what a percentage is, or are you just throwing ***out there and hoping it's relevant?

Also, TP gain per minute increases as delay per hand (ignoring haste) decreases. I thought we'd established this previously.
[+]
By seiri 2010-11-12 23:18:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
150dly 1 hit vs 211 dly 2hit (averaging out). Say 25% dual wield, 112.5 vs 158. Add 26% haste (im assuming this as the OP is a relic holder) 83.25dly vs 116.92. Add spell haste 66.375 dly vs 93.22 dly. Gap between delays has dropped from 61 to 27. Add marches and the gap decreases even more.
...do you actually know what a percentage is, or are you just throwing ***out there and hoping it's relevant? Also, TP gain per minute increases as delay per hand (ignoring haste) decreases. I thought we'd established this previously.

Im aware.
And i know this, however a dagger that averages 2 strikes per round can be assumed to be equivilent to 1/2 its base delay as regards to tp gain. 150 vs 105.5 in this case.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also
Quote:
211 dly 2hit (averaging out).
What?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
150dly 1 hit vs 211 dly 2hit (averaging out). Say 25% dual wield, 112.5 vs 158. Add 26% haste (im assuming this as the OP is a relic holder) 83.25dly vs 116.92. Add spell haste 66.375 dly vs 93.22 dly. Gap between delays has dropped from 61 to 27. Add marches and the gap decreases even more.
...do you actually know what a percentage is, or are you just throwing ***out there and hoping it's relevant? Also, TP gain per minute increases as delay per hand (ignoring haste) decreases. I thought we'd established this previously.

Im aware.
And i know this, however a dagger that averages 2 strikes per round can be assumed to be equivilent to 1/2 its base delay as regards to tp gain. 150 vs 105.5 in this case.
No it can't, nimrod.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

PS: OA3 has a 1.7 hits/round average before DA and TA, not 2.0.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Im aware.

Then you realize that every single one of those delay comparisons you posted has the same proportion, right? Nothing increasing about it.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-11-12 23:28:11
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By seiri 2010-11-12 23:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I've seen parses anywhere as low as 1.5 and high as 2.4. Was just giving an average.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
Im aware.
Then you realize that every single one of those delay comparisons you posted has the same proportion, right? Nothing increasing about it.

I was giving simple figures. If you want to graph those then go ahead, im not bothering.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Im aware. And i know this, however a dagger that averages 2 strikes per round can be assumed to be equivilent to 1/2 its base delay as regards to tp gain. 150 vs 105.5 in this case.
No it can't, nimrod.

Oh? Dagger with 211 dly averaging 2 attacks per round will give twice the tp it would give averaging 1 attack per round. If you count each strike seperately its generating more tp per round than if its delay was halfed, as it has a higher delay = more tp per hit.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

I've seen parses anywhere as low as 1.5 and high as 2.4. Was just giving an average.
50:30:20 1:2:3 hit distribution, this is well established under properly controlled conditions.

Quote:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
Im aware.

I was giving simple figures. If you want to graph those then go ahead, im not bothering.
No, you gave *** percentages. Stop trying to save face.

Quote:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Im aware. And i know this, however a dagger that averages 2 strikes per round can be assumed to be equivilent to 1/2 its base delay as regards to tp gain. 150 vs 105.5 in this case.
No it can't, nimrod.

Oh? Dagger with 211 dly averaging 2 attacks per round will give twice the tp it would give averaging 1 attack per round. If you count each strike seperately its generating more tp per round than if its delay was halfed, as it has a higher delay = more tp per hit.
This would be true if the formula for TP gain was consistent with respect to TP gain over time for all base delays. It's not. TP/min drastically increases for sub-180 delays as your delay continues to decrease, giving Rapidus Sax an advantage that you are not accounting for.
[+]
By seiri 2010-11-12 23:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
50:30:20 1:2:3 hit distribution, this is well established under properly controlled conditions.
Quote:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Quote:
Im aware.
No, you gave *** percentages. Stop trying to save face.
Quote:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
No it can't, nimrod.
This would be true if the formula for TP gain was consistent for all base delays. It's not. TP/min drastically increases for sub-180 delays as your delay continues to decrease, giving Rapidus Sax an advantage that you are not accounting for.

You have a point on the <180 delay part. I did forget that.
The 1:2:3 rates i havent seen a final parse on yet so i'll take your word on it.

As for percentages. 211 and 150, 25% dual wield drop
25% of 211 is pretty much 53, so 158 delay.
25% of 150 is 37.5, so 112.5 delay.

Same method used for rest. Correct me if im wrong on raw figures.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:43:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll assume they're fine, still doesn't answer my question about how the non-haste dagger gains an advantage with increasing values of non-gear haste.
[+]
By seiri 2010-11-12 23:46:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I'll assume they're fine, still doesn't answer my question about how the non-haste dagger gains an advantage with increasing values of non-gear haste.

Ah sorry, thought i did.

Basically im just assuming that he'll have capped haste with or without sax, making the 1% haste a moot point.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Ah sorry, thought i did.

Basically im just assuming that he'll have capped haste with or without sax, making the 1% haste a moot point.
That doesn't answer my question either.

Quote:
ie:

Without haste + march, you assert that OA3 outTPs Rapidus by 30%. With those buffs, you assert that it outTPs Rapidus by a significantly greater margin. I'm asking how you arrived at that conclusion.
[+]
By seiri 2010-11-12 23:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ah sorry, thought i did. Basically im just assuming that he'll have capped haste with or without sax, making the 1% haste a moot point.
That doesn't answer my question either.
Quote:
ie: Without haste + march, you assert that OA3 outTPs Rapidus by 30%. With those buffs, you assert that it outTPs Rapidus by a significantly greater margin. I'm asking how you arrived at that conclusion.

The 30% figure is on base delays, nothing more.

The rest is *** after you reminded me bout gain ratio, and with the 1.7 rather thn 2 hits a round. I'd still say para+1 beats sax for pure tp, but maybe 15~20% rather thn 50%.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-12 23:54:37
Link | Quote | Reply

seiri said:
The rest is *** after you reminded me bout gain ratio, and with the 1.7 rather thn 2 hits a round.
Why? Haste doesn't modify base delay, so the percentage it wins by should be unchanged (or favor Rapidus if gear haste is uncapped). That's the point I've been driving towards this entire time. You're using very flawed models to arrive at your conclusions because you don't even have a fully functional understanding of how basic buffs interact.

The initial 30% figure is what's *** by the above, not the following 50% figure.
[+]
By seiri 2010-11-12 23:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
seiri said:
The rest is *** after you reminded me bout gain ratio, and with the 1.7 rather thn 2 hits a round.
Why? Haste doesn't modify base delay, so the percentage it wins by should be unchanged (or favor Rapidus if gear haste is uncapped). That's the point I've been driving towards this entire time. You're using very flawed models to arrive at your conclusions because you don't even have a fully functional understanding of how basic buffs interact. The initial 30% figure is what's *** by the above, not the following 50% figure.

I wont argue this anymore, looking back your dead right. My apologies for being lazy and rushing it.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10