Hey Besaid!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIV » Servers » Besaid » Hey Besaid!
Hey Besaid!
 Caitsith.Zefiris
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-09-14 20:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Which do you like better? :3
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-09-14 20:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

hey, where can a horndog like me find booze and broads in Besaid?
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-14 20:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
It's more accurately a "rolled" R (like in Spanish or Italian) but where the tongue only "rolls" off the top of your mouth once. The "Y" is then layered over that. English speakers try to use an English "R," which doesn't exist in Japanese to begin with. Then they to force a vowel sound between the R and the Y, ("Rai-yuu" or "Ree-yuu"), which tend to be entirely different words in Japanese. (I.e. not identifiable as a simple mispronunciation.) Link to wav of correct pronunciation. Due to an unfortunate trick of spelling, I can't use my legal given EN name (Dorian) in Japan, and due to nobody being able to pronounce it, I can't use my legal given JP name (Ryuji) in the US.
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Can they even do such a thing? :S Isn't there a code for interpretations when translating?
Depends on how much liberty you grant your voice actors. They granted... a lot... to the EN voice actors in FFX. To the point there were some major reinterpretations.

I can pronounce both of your first names fine, it's the Ouer that confuses me.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-09-15 00:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
For reference, the guy who played Tidus in JP FFX is the same guy who plays:

Sliiiiightly different character interpretations.
I swear, I've had the tiniest crush on Morita since I heard him with Yuna's voice actor MCing for the 20020220 (Music from Final Fantasy) live orchestra album. :> He's so... silly. My favorite part is the tenth track, MC3, where he goes, "Yyyyyyaaaa.... Don't Be AFUREEDO." I giggle every time. :3
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-09-15 00:34:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Anyone else think the
was weird? x.x;

It was embarrasingly awkward. I thought Lulu was a dried up old peep and wakka hadn't yet figured out what to do with his peepee.
He hides it in his hair.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-09-15 00:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
It's more accurately a "rolled" R (like in Spanish or Italian) but where the tongue only "rolls" off the top of your mouth once. The "Y" is then layered over that.

English speakers try to use an English "R," which doesn't exist in Japanese to begin with. Then they to force a vowel sound between the R and the Y, ("Rai-yuu" or "Ree-yuu"), which tend to be entirely different words in Japanese. (I.e. not identifiable as a simple mispronunciation.)

Link to wav of correct pronunciation.

Due to an unfortunate trick of spelling, I can't use my legal given EN name (Dorian) in Japan, and due to nobody being able to pronounce it, I can't use my legal given JP name (Ryuji) in the US.

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
Can they even do such a thing? :S

Isn't there a code for interpretations when translating?
Depends on how much liberty you grant your voice actors. They granted... a lot... to the EN voice actors in FFX. To the point there were some major reinterpretations.
This reminds me of the Tie-dus/Tee-dus mistake Kingdom Hearts made.

EDIT: Also, can I call you "Dolian" now?
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-15 00:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta admit, the game looks incredibly awesome at full settings with ambient occlusion on for the light/shade effects. Very smooth gradients. Behold Jaerik in his fabulously metro gladiator outfit, as he's still completely unable to find anything else to buy.

Ramuh.Laffter said:
EDIT: Also, can I call you "Dolian" now?
You can, sure. But should you?
[+]
 Phoenix.Ailoki
Server: Phoenix
user: Xenophire
By Phoenix.Ailoki 2010-09-15 00:59:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha, Jae, he's hot! :3

Mah kitty when she's out hunting for EXP. Lol. This is after I got my new video card.

This is before. You can see a major difference. I love it.
By Artemicion 2010-09-15 01:02:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like I'll be accumulating my funny money over a few months to get some new hardware. Looks so beautiful *_*
By Flionheart 2010-09-15 01:04:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-09-15 01:05:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
You can, sure.
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Sure you can.
Ryu said:

SHORYUKEN

[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-15 01:06:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok... someone needs to have that as an avatar.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-15 01:06:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Well played.
By Artemicion 2010-09-15 01:14:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Le sigh...
I actually worked up the motivation to give playing another shot, and go figure, the servers are down.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-15 01:31:58
Link | Quote | Reply

GDI I hate you all! I was making sure i'd leave mmorpg's behind after ffxi, but with you flaunting ffXIV in my face, my will power is fading away. @_@

I thank you all, I can also see it is different than ffxi, that is probably a good thing.

Edit: Jaerik Flynn's screen shot did it.
By Artemicion 2010-09-15 01:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
GDI I hate you all! I was making sure i'd leave mmorpg's behind after ffxi, but with you flaunting ffXIV in my face, my will power is fading away. @_@

I thank you all, I can also see it is different than ffxi, that is probably a good thing.

If by different you mean complex and frustrating with combined lag; then yes I agree.

It is going to take a severe degree of patience and dedication to learn my way around and get used to it.

/QQ
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-15 01:35:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:

If by different you mean complex and frustrating with combined lag; then yes I agree.

It is going to take a severe degree of patience and dedication to learn my way around and get used to it.

/QQ

I feel I can play this casually and not get stressed the *** out is what I am saying.
By Artemicion 2010-09-15 01:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Artemicion said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:

/QQ

I feel I can play this casually and not get stressed the *** out is what I am saying.

Actually that's pretty subjective to one's attitude and resolve more so than the game itself. Although the game's layout and setup within the system of how it functions certainly can make things easier depending on your level of determination/time used to play.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-15 01:38:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Artemicion said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:

/QQ

Actually that's pretty subjective to one's attitude and resolve more so than the game itself. Although the game's layout and setup within the system of how it functions certainly can make things easier depending on your level of determination/time used to play.

Meh i know it is similar to ffxi, but se should have learned from the first time :(.
By Artemicion 2010-09-15 01:41:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Luckily this fatigue system is pretty friendly to keeping everyone relatively on par as far as physical levels go. Still giving you the same freedom of advancing your class customization with leveling that after your given exp threshold.

Certainly much better than XI. If you had a competitive attitude with XI but didn't have the countless amount of hours and patience to give to it, you were pretty much screwed.
By Flionheart 2010-09-15 01:43:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I like it. For a hardcore player it's there to make sure you have ample subs up for each job, for a casual player it's there so you can still keep up even though the hardcore player has more flexibility in his class.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-15 01:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Luckily this fatigue system is pretty friendly to keeping everyone relatively on par as far as physical levels go. Still giving you the same freedom of advancing your class customization with leveling that after your given exp threshold.

Certainly much better than XI. If you had a competitive attitude with XI but didn't have the countless amount of hours and patience to give to it, you were pretty much screwed.

So that fatigue system everyone was complaining about was has been implemented?
By Artemicion 2010-09-15 01:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

This video explains it very well.
No more biased speculation and HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***.

By Flionheart 2010-09-15 01:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
This video explains it very well.
No more biased speculation and HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE ***.

You'll still get people going nuts because they can't get to level 50 in one week.
By Artemicion 2010-09-15 01:50:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Wouldn't want those kind of people in my game anyways.
I like this; it's a good deterrent for halo/wow retards.
[+]
By Flionheart 2010-09-15 01:53:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much. Lol I like it, If I go into surplus I'll just try a different class out.

Well an example for you.

At Physical rank 15, I could solo the level 10 guildleves with my rank 1 pugilist.

Physical level means everything, Class rank is simply for abilities and ability points (think IX)
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-09-15 02:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Flionheart said:
Pretty much. Lol I like it, If I go into surplus I'll just try a different class out.

Well an example for you.

At Physical rank 15, I could solo the level 10 guildleves with my rank 1 pugilist.

Physical level means everything, Class rank is simply for abilities and ability points (think IX)

I find it to be the other way around. Rank seems to mean much more than Physical level. But I judge from field monsters, not from guildleves, which are piss-easy already.

The thing about rank, is your gear is incredibly debuffed if you're using your high-rank gear on a low-rank class. For example, the Chainmail on my Archer was providing the full 39 defense and other bonuses at rank 13, but on my Gladiator at rank 3, a weathered Shirt was providing 50% more protection. (Shirt:13 Chainmail:8) It functions a lot like the level sync gear system, but also takes into account what class you are, since any class can wear anything (Which I personally love) So your Thaumaturge might not get more than half of the listed stats of plate armor, where a gladiator wouldn't get more than half of the listed stats for an arcane robe.
By Flionheart 2010-09-15 02:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I see what you mean. I just found rank 10 leves actually fairly challenging at 10 physical 10 class rank, but piss easy at 15 physical 1 class rank

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-15 02:23:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Wouldn't want those kind of people in my game anyways.
I like this; it's a good deterrent for halo/wow retards.