Leveling blu
First Page 2 3 4
 Midgardsormr.Renala
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-18 19:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

As the title says, I'm leveling blu this time around. Well, off and on, but eventually it'll be my 'main' so to speak.

Its currently 23 from a smn burn(haters gonna love that) and I need to go back and get spells. But, anyway, as for the point of this post. What spells and gear should I mainly aim for 20-50?

I know the important low level(and high level for headbutt) spells are bludgen and headbut, but.. aside that, I don't know. I also know that getting a PCC(or PCA) is very helpful, but thats a WIP. Eventually I plan to have every spell, But, I just want to get the minimums right now, or I'll be spending alot more time trying to learn blu spells x.x;;
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-08-18 19:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Renala said:
What spells

Be a beast like I was when I leveled BLU and get every spell as they come along!
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-08-18 19:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

As the title says, I'm leveling blu this time around. Well, off and on, but eventually it'll be my 'main' so to speak.

Its currently 23 from a smn burn(haters gonna love that) and I need to go back and get spells. But, anyway, as for the point of this post. What spells and gear should I mainly aim for 20-50?

I know the important low level(and high level for headbutt) spells are bludgen and headbut, but.. aside that, I don't know. I also know that getting a PCC(or PCA) is very helpful, but thats a WIP. Eventually I plan to have every spell, But, I just want to get the minimums right now, or I'll be spending alot more time trying to learn blu spells x.x;;

Simple answer: quit.

You're going to fall in love with the job and then not get gear for it because everyone thinks it's an lolJob and you never get allowed to play it and why should the BLU get that when there's a PLD that just joined?

/rage

Long answer:

For spells, ACC and spel Modifiers for the win.

TP, haste > acc = win

Major spells:

1 Pollen M
4 Sprout Smack B
8 Cocoon M
12 Battle Dance S
12 Head Butt B
12 Feather Storm P
16 Helldive B
16 Healing Breeze M
16 Sheep Song M
18 Bludgeon B
22 Poison Breath M
24 Soporific M
28 Bomb Toss M
30 Wild Carrot M
36 Pinecone Bomb P
38 Blank Gaze M
38 Jet Stream B
38 Uppercut B
42 MP Drainkiss M
44 Mandibular Bite S
48 Refueling M
48 Sickle Slash B
52 Filamented Hold M
58 Magic Fruit M
60 Death Scissors S
63 Spinal Cleave S
63 Frenetic Rip B
63 Frypan B
66 Frost Breath M
67 Diamondhide M
69 Hysteric Barrage B
69 Regurgitation M
70 Amplification M
70 Cannonball B
71 Heat Breath M
72 Sub-zero Smash B
72 Disseverment P
73 Temporal Shift M
74 Actinic Burst M
75 Plasma Charge M
75 Vertical Cleave S
76 Plenilune Embrace M
78 Regeneration M
79 Animating Wail M
79 Battery Charge M

Not counting job traits, those are the ones I'd stop for.
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-18 19:29:55
Link | Quote | Reply

30-50 most important dmg spells gona be sickle slash from spiders and mandular bite. another very important spell is blank gaze which is the same as a rdm dispel and of course ur cure spells like magic fruit pollan ect. as everybody who plays blu knows this job is a total beast when it comes to easy prey-even match mobs no job can kill them faster than a blu and as levels increase this job is only getting better, my god just from level 75-80 this job got so much damn stuff it is crazy. this will be my first job to 99 no doubt!
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-18 20:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the small list. Also, I would prefer not to have to get ~every~ spell while trying to level(Though i likely will since I have abit of a perfectionist habbit at times..).

As for gear and as mentioned, job traits threw spell combos?(I acually forgot about traits o.o;;)
 Carbuncle.Virtuosus
Server: Carbuncle
user: Virtuosus
By Carbuncle.Virtuosus 2010-08-18 20:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Normally I'd be giving better advice on this thread, but today is a really lazy day for me. Just promise us you won't use full aurore and you'll be a great BLU.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-18 22:09:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the small list. Also, I would prefer not to have to get ~every~ spell while trying to level(Though i likely will since I have abit of a perfectionist habbit at times..).

As for gear and as mentioned, job traits threw spell combos?(I acually forgot about traits o.o;;)
Battle Dance + Uppercut is one of the bigger ones at that level off the top of my head, makes Attack Bonus. You might want a tier or two of Clear Mind at that level as well.

Easy (lazy) answer: clicky
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-18 23:43:25
Link | Quote | Reply

dont see the big deal about full arorua for folks without homan this is pretty tight gear
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-08-18 23:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I think the best advice anyone can give you, is to NOT give you a specific list of spells to go after.

Part of playing blu is learning the spells, in the process of learning them and trying them out, you not only get an idea for YOURSELF what spells should and shouldn't be used, but you get a much better understanding of the job, and what situations to equip what spells. It also gives you an opportunity to explore places in Vana'Diel that you normally may not have been.

The other issue you are going to run in, is astral burning/level sync is going to seriously ruin your chance to learn spells. The ability to learn a spell is based solely on your blue magic skill level, so if you're level 50 with the blue magic skill of a level 20, you're not going to be able to learn any spells above ~30.

So, now you have the task of leveling up your blue magic skill, and what's the best way to do that you ask? By learning spells. All the spells you'll be after will come off mobs that are about the right level to be skilling up your blue magic skill, so simply hunt your spells and your skill should rise on it's own.

Normally I would suggest to new blu mages to do exactly this anyway, except that until about level 20, or even onwards from that, you often don't need to exp AT ALL, as you'll be getting all the exp you need just from hunting spells. So now you have to do that work anyway, but you're not getting the exp for it.
[+]
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-08-18 23:57:26
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
dont see the big deal about full arorua for folks without homan this is pretty tight gear

Hi, my name is Dusk Gloves, Walahra Turban, Acubens Helm, etc.
[+]
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-18 23:59:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i use none of that, and my blu rocks its all personal choice
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-19 00:01:15
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:

If your blu rocks now, Imagine how much more it will rock if you use the correct gear!
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-19 00:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

it cant rock any harder it already powns all lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-19 00:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-08-19 00:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Advice for leveling BLU: don't listen to anything that Daddyrabbit has to say.

There.
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-19 00:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

you will always have ur haters and ur bandwagoners, heres a thought play how you feel is the best, does it really matter what others think?
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-19 00:05:59
Link | Quote | Reply

accualy im probaly in the top 5 of best blus in ffxi history so there!
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-19 00:06:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Too obvious.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-19 00:08:02
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
you will always have ur haters and ur bandwagoners, heres a thought play how you feel is the best, does it really matter what others think?

Lol'd
daddyrabbit4444 said:

Lol'd harder
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-19 00:09:55
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
keep stuffing ur face with watermelon and chicken *** noone cares what u think hahahahah

I'm sorry, My superior knowledge about a job that I don't even play is really loud today.
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-19 00:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit will proudly wear his full arorua, and the haters will keep hating sad.
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-19 00:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

dont hate on me cause i like to wear full pink! its uber kewl
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-08-19 00:12:52
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
daddyrabbit will proudly wear his full arorua, and the haters will keep hating sad.

And also be out-parsing you, because you're a gimp.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-19 00:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I think the best advice anyone can give you, is to NOT give you a specific list of spells to go after.

Part of playing blu is learning the spells, in the process of learning them and trying them out, you not only get an idea for YOURSELF what spells should and shouldn't be used, but you get a much better understanding of the job, and what situations to equip what spells. It also gives you an opportunity to explore places in Vana'Diel that you normally may not have been.

The other issue you are going to run in, is astral burning/level sync is going to seriously ruin your chance to learn spells. The ability to learn a spell is based solely on your blue magic skill level, so if you're level 50 with the blue magic skill of a level 20, you're not going to be able to learn any spells above ~30.

So, now you have the task of leveling up your blue magic skill, and what's the best way to do that you ask? By learning spells. All the spells you'll be after will come off mobs that are about the right level to be skilling up your blue magic skill, so simply hunt your spells and your skill should rise on it's own.

Normally I would suggest to new blu mages to do exactly this anyway, except that until about level 20, or even onwards from that, you often don't need to exp AT ALL, as you'll be getting all the exp you need just from hunting spells. So now you have to do that work anyway, but you're not getting the exp for it.

-Tries to drag topic back into play- OK OK! Enough bickering D:

@Blazza, I've helped 4 people get almost every spell(minus a few extremely arre ones like body slam) from 1-75, I've seen almost every spell just not personally used them since my blu's always been low level from the fear of farming ~every freaking spell~ XD.

Everyones hit up spells or high level gear, But I asked for 20-50 gear choices, And I -know- there are wiki links for this, but some of them are wierd or don't seem right to me. I want personal experiences with gear. Alot of questions come to mind from like 'Trump crown of emp hairpin? Chr for bludgen or eva? Solo or party?' ext.
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-08-19 00:15:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This is what I use when synced to 51:

That's for chigoe burning.
By Damiyen 2010-08-19 02:48:23
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
it cant rock any harder it already powns all lol
daddyrabbit4444 said:
If your the best I dont want to be
daddyrabbit4444 said:
keep stuffing ur face with watermelon and chicken *** noone cares what u think hahahahah
I think being racist was cool like 50 yrs ago
daddyrabbit4444 said:
dont hate on me cause i like to wear full pink! its uber kewl
So your gay and racist? Jesus your parents must hate you.

Id love to hear your explaination on how Store TP is good for blu.

For Renala:
Blu is a very complicated job to excell At. Every single spell has a use in the game if your a career blu. Best advice I can give ya is make sure your Blue Magic Skill stays capped, This make learning spells actually possible.
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-08-19 03:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:

-Tries to drag topic back into play- OK OK! Enough bickering D:

@Blazza, I've helped 4 people get almost every spell(minus a few extremely arre ones like body slam) from 1-75, I've seen almost every spell just not personally used them since my blu's always been low level from the fear of farming ~every freaking spell~ XD.

Everyones hit up spells or high level gear, But I asked for 20-50 gear choices, And I -know- there are wiki links for this, but some of them are wierd or don't seem right to me. I want personal experiences with gear. Alot of questions come to mind from like 'Trump crown of emp hairpin? Chr for bludgen or eva? Solo or party?' ext.

BLU isn't a very common job to get parties the higher you get so there's always time for spell farming, then again with abyssea you don't really need an EXP pt either. If you're not one to make EXP pts you can always just get all spells, which is my opinion. I tried to get at least as many as I could while lfp; but when I did BLU we didn't have FoV or abyssea so you're lucky :(
 Seraph.Breviant
Server: Seraph
user: ZachG86
By Seraph.Breviant 2010-08-19 03:17:46
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
30-50 most important dmg spells gona be sickle slash from spiders and mandular bite. another very important spell is blank gaze which is the same as a rdm dispel

Yeah, no. Mandibular Bite is 44 and Sickle Slash is 48. Blank Gaze is not like RDM Dispel, if anything it's more like BRD Dispel because it's light based.

Between that and your comments about Aurore, I'm not even sure you play the job. Yet you're gonna call people haters then spew racist garbage on a forum. That's par for the course with a 12 year old, though.

Just don't listen to people like this.

Anyway, I think the simplest way to put it would be to gear like you would for any other melee job. Accuracy and Attack in your TP set, until higher levels when you get Haste gear available. Gearing for physical Blue Magic spells is kinda like gearing for weaponskills, except for the modifiers. You can afford to stack a little more STR and other mods for single hit spells, but multi hit spells require more accuracy in addition to gear with the proper stat boosts in regards to spell modifiers.

There's a nice Excel spreadsheet listing all the spells and their mods, you can download it from the link in this Allakazham post.

At the lower levels (before /THF becomes viable with Mandibular Bite and Sickle Slash) you'll be casting Head Butt (a lot), Bludgeon, Sprout Smack, Wild Oats, Feather Storm, Jet Stream, and Uppercut. If you're trying to skill up Blue Magic, the low level physical spells are good too.

If you want the job to be your main, I suggest learning all the spells possible. Yes, some of the spells are garbage, but it's not that bad learning spells considering you can do it as you level.

Just don't TP in full AF wearing MP earrings and other random garbage. Please, for the love of God. You'd be surprised how often you see this.
 Bismarck.Kyaaadaa
Server: Bismarck
user: Kyaaadaa
By Bismarck.Kyaaadaa 2010-08-19 05:07:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I think the best advice anyone can give you, is to NOT give you a specific list of spells to go after. Part of playing blu is learning the spells, in the process of learning them and trying them out, you not only get an idea for YOURSELF what spells should and shouldn't be used, but you get a much better understanding of the job, and what situations to equip what spells. It also gives you an opportunity to explore places in Vana'Diel that you normally may not have been. The other issue you are going to run in, is astral burning/level sync is going to seriously ruin your chance to learn spells. The ability to learn a spell is based solely on your blue magic skill level, so if you're level 50 with the blue magic skill of a level 20, you're not going to be able to learn any spells above ~30. So, now you have the task of leveling up your blue magic skill, and what's the best way to do that you ask? By learning spells. All the spells you'll be after will come off mobs that are about the right level to be skilling up your blue magic skill, so simply hunt your spells and your skill should rise on it's own. Normally I would suggest to new blu mages to do exactly this anyway, except that until about level 20, or even onwards from that, you often don't need to exp AT ALL, as you'll be getting all the exp you need just from hunting spells. So now you have to do that work anyway, but you're not getting the exp for it.

tl;dr - A great thing about BLU is its versality; I play my BLU one way, dropping tons of damage using certain spells and WS combos, another BLU will come along and match damage with a completely different set of WS and spells. Learn how you play the job and tinker with that until you're dropping damage like SAM.

*Full Aurore Note* its not BAD, but its not BEST. My experience, its haste is *enough* for casual players who dont have time/access/availability of Limbus, and for doing my WS ToM breaks, its sTP helps build WS faster than a few more % haste. Yes, for parties swap out pieces for more haste (W turban, Homam, Dusk, w/e) or more stat increases in places.

EDIT: (I have a feeling my stance on Aurore is going to get me assassinated, so I'm going to add this) While you can wear full Aurore, don't let that be your only set, i DO suggest having a higher haste set also that includes more haste than Aurore grants, a -PDT set for crazy situations (or BLU spell farming), a Cannonball set, and a magical BLU spell set with Macc/MAB/Stat. Like other jobs, one set of armor (or even two or three) isnt enough unless you like mediocracy. If you classify it as a main, make sure to put effort into it.
First Page 2 3 4