Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Leveling blu
Leveling blu
 Midgardsormr.Renala
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-19 06:49:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Meh, I think I'm just going to get every spell. I don't think I can resist the perfectionist thing, and I know basicly where every spell/mob is >.>;;;

No ones really hit up lowbie gear ;_;

For r/e gear I know theres bounding boots, emp hairpin, nadrs, ext. But... what else? I don't know which normal bodies/gloves/pants/boots otherwise to use. I'm 23, as I mentioned in my first post, so should I get lizzy jerkin or beetle harness? Royal footman trousers until 25 and then basty subligar thing? RSE what peices(mithra, I forgot to mention 'til now), All that. Its why I asked what to use 20-50, I know weapons mostly(kinda easy >.>)
 Shiva.Superdan
Server: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-19 07:09:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly.. I'll probably get shot down for this, but at Lv20-30 I doubt the average pt gives a flying ***what you wear. Ig you have Emp Hairpin & LL Boots.. Go for it, if not, screw it. At roughly your level I was using Flame swords, Emp Hairpin & 4/5 HQ beetle. I believe Nomad mantle, barbarians waist thing.. HQ beetle earrings.. Spike necklace & Probably STR rings. Blu was my first job to 75 though, so the gear probably isn't the greatest. Hell, I was new and had to farm like hell even to wear that ;p

My advise to you, as low level blu is to stack as much acc into tp gear as you can. Hell, into spells too. Your main damage is going to be from Bludgeon for a good few levels, and it's a 3hit spell. Not to mention dual weild jobs tend to have sucky acc :/ Also between 40-60 (If you're not /THF) you're probably going to be SCing with Jet stream (3-hit), however I was always a /THF fan. So, yeah. As much acc as you can get. I also stuck to Squid Sushi as 40+ blu, not sure if the % is actually good compared to standard +acc at that level, but it's just what I used. I could never of spend gil on sole for spamming at Lv40 <.<

While I don't reccommend to be TPing in MP gear, if you can't get a useful stat like acc etc, I would reccommend it tbh. If you pt, you WILL get some pt's where you can't aspir.. and have no refresh.. and resting sucks ***, so having some little MP boost is nice, can always swap it out to some other gear once you've spent the MP if you like.
 Leviathan.Anbu
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-08-19 07:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Auro: set is a decent TP(melee) set only, but its far from the best. I say its a good set for the average player who doesn't have the time for endgame. " although you should not be casting spells in full Auro" its Tp(melee) only.
 Cerberus.Hiryo
Server: Cerberus
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-08-19 07:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Please, like someone else said, don't tp in full af and MP gear. AF Body is for casting in ONLY. Sh's are like 15k now, there is no excuse!

For Bludgeon, dont bother with CHR, just use str and acc gear i found that worked fine.

Make sure not only your blue magic skill is capped, but that your sword skill is as well, at all time.

You'll do fine as long as you dont turn out like 90% of the blue population.
 Cerberus.Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-08-19 07:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Auro: set is a decent TP(melee) set only, but its far from the best. I say its a good set for the average player who doesn't have the time for endgame. " although you should not be casting spells in full Auro" its Tp(melee) only.

Dusk gloves + turban > Aurore head and hands for tp, no need to use the whole set.
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-19 07:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm going to have to make a gear list for level gaps and then have people say 'use this as a set' arn't I? x.x;;

I guess I can start workin on that, what I personally think would be 'good gear' and then see what people say for it.
 Leviathan.Anbu
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-08-19 07:42:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hiryo said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:

Dusk gloves + turban > Aurore head and hands for tp, no need to use the whole set.

Idk why you quoted me but let me bold the part I think you selectively choose not to read...
[+]
 Cerberus.Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-08-19 07:47:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's not a decent TP set lol, with dusk being so cheap, and turban easy to get.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-19 08:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

And heres the start to my list, likely going to break it up since this is taking WAY to long(Doesn't help I lost 20-30 and 31-40 >.o)

20-30

Weapons
Flame sword
Nadrs
Anthos Xiphos
Mithran Scimitar
Centurion's Sword
Steel Kilij

Head
Trump Crown
Emporer/empress Hairpin
Precision Bandana
Mercenary Captain's Headgear

Neck
Focus Collar/+1
Spike Necklace
Ajase Beads(Only listing since I -have- one)

Body
Lizard Jerkin
Garrison Tunica
Beetle Harness/+1
Mercenary Captain's Doublet

Hands
Battle gloves
Savage Gauntlets (Only listing this for mp?)
Combat Mittens +1(NQ isn't much better then battle gloves)

Waist
Friar Rope
Warrior Belt +1
Brave Belt
Mohbwa Sash/+1
Griot Belt/+1(Chr for bludgen? o.o)
Sarashi

Legs
Phlegethon's Trousers
Royal Footman's Trousers
Beetle Subligar +1
Garrison Hose
Martial Slacks
Bastokan/Republican Subligar

Feet
Bounding Boots
Mettle Leggings/+1
Savage Gaiters

Back
Traveler's Mantle
Besieger Mantle
Nomad's Mantle
Exactitude Mantle/+1

Earring
Optical Earring
Beetle Earring +1
Genin Earring/Pilferer's Earring

Ring
Astral Ring
Courage Ring +1
Balance Ring +1
Hope Ring +1
Archer's Ring
Rajas Ring(Little ways away from that, On chapter 5 >.>)

Wall of text, Pick your level 20, 25, and 30 sets from that. Now for a new part...
 Carbuncle.Vontri
Server: Carbuncle
user: Vontri
By Carbuncle.Vontri 2010-08-19 08:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly when you are lvling the job the gear isn't that important. I got my blu to 75 pre level sync days and for the most party I used my rdm melee style gear till I got my AF and then used my AF most of the way to 75.

Now I don't condone using AF once you are done lvling the job except for a few macro options (as AF body is one of the best body pieces for all spells you will have) but if you are just lvling at the time... nothing wrong with going the cheap route.

I've sold my Dusk Gloves and TP in full Auora(sp) Gear. Mind you when I cast spells most of it is swapped out, but honestly, Pink Mage Tarutaru's are adorable.

That's what I am working on getting right now for my TP gear for my /SAM build for all you haters that would like to start a derailing. I'd love to talk about it too but.. not in this thread.

As for spells I think you came to the right conclusion. Just get them all, I feel it is easier that way than worrying about what ones to try and get or not bother with. when you can Chain Affinity >>> Sneak Attack you'll know which ones to use cuz the spell will say "Critical Hit varries on TP".
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-19 08:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Continued from my last post, this time I'm going to try and get 31-40 without losing it...

31-40

Weapon
Bastokan Sword/Republic Sword
Combat Caster's Scimitar
Immortal's Scimitar

Head
Trump Crown
Emporer/empress Hairpin
Precision Bandana
Sinister Mask
Spelunker's Hat (I needed a joke item in here somewhere >.>)

Neck
Focus Collar/+1
Spike Necklace
Peacock Charm/Amulet

Body
Savage Separates
Windurstian Doublet

Hands
Combat Mittens +1

Waist
Gosha Sarashi(For /nin macroing in for utsu)
Tilt Belt
Qiqirn Sash

Legs
Bastokan/Republican Subligar
Savage Loincloth

Feet
Bounding Boots
Mettle Leggings/+1
Savage Gaiters
Mountain Gaiters

Back
Besieger Mantle
Nomad's Mantle
Exactitude Mantle/+1

Earring
Optical Earring
Beetle Earring +1
Genin Earring/Pilferer's Earring
Intruder Earring

Rings
Archer's Ring
Rajas Ring
Loyalty Ring
Deft Ring
Puissance Ring
Jaeger Ring
Shikaree Ring
Ether Ring
Sniper's Ring
Woodsman Ring

Again, pick your gear for 35 and 40

Edit: Bleh, I don't want to do 41-50 right now.. So, I'll let this boil for abit and see what some people will say.

PS:I'M NOT LOOKING FOR 75+ SETS RIGHT NOW! i'M FAR FROM THERE, IT'LL TAKE ME SOME TIME TO GET UP IN LEVELS AND ALSO FARM SPELLS!
Thank you >.<
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-19 08:31:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Vontri said:
Honestly when you are lvling the job the gear isn't that important. I got my blu to 75 pre level sync days and for the most party I used my rdm melee style gear till I got my AF and then used my AF most of the way to 75.

Now I don't condone using AF once you are done lvling the job except for a few macro options (as AF body is one of the best body pieces for all spells you will have) but if you are just lvling at the time... nothing wrong with going the cheap route.

I've sold my Dusk Gloves and TP in full Auora(sp) Gear. Mind you when I cast spells most of it is swapped out, but honestly, Pink Mage Tarutaru's are adorable.

That's what I am working on getting right now for my TP gear for my /SAM build for all you haters that would like to start a derailing. I'd love to talk about it too but.. not in this thread.

As for spells I think you came to the right conclusion. Just get them all, I feel it is easier that way than worrying about what ones to try and get or not bother with. when you can Chain Affinity >>> Sneak Attack you'll know which ones to use cuz the spell will say "Critical Hit varries on TP".

You talk about derailing.. When you're posting Lv75 gearsets for a Lv25-30?

Also, OP just incase you magically hit 75.. Don't sell dusk hands, discard turban and wear full pink ~.~

Now, back on track. I believe you're worrying way too much about Lv20-30 gear.

Flame Sword/Cent sword (main)
Flame Sword/Cent Sword (sub)
Precision Bandana (head)
Spike Necklace/PCC (neck)
Optical/HQ beetle earrings (earrings)
HQ beetle/Merc capt (body)
Battle gloves/Combat Mittens +1 (Hands)
Rajas/STR ring (Rings) Archer's nice but.. 300k for a Lv25 job is ridiculous for me)
Bounding/Savage (Feet)
Exactitude (back)
I used brave.. But there isn't any real great DD peice for waist :/ Mohbwa sash for resting (Waist)
Garrison Hose imo (legs) if ya dont mind spenidng gil / ever on AH

Is what I'd use.

Cerberus.Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-08-19 08:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Super. Selling dusk for Aurore is like them Wars who tp in askar head and a blitz ring >.>

I'm on my iPhone atm so I'm not going to go through those massive lists yet.

Again Supers set is good but I'd swap spike for PCA / PCC to tp in if you have it,(when you hit 33) deffo get a pair of Combat Mittens +1 they will last you until haste gear for that slot. Republic sub as well, best legs for a long while, I was still using them in SH levels.

For head you could get a voy salute for the 41+ levels, and get the acc ring at the same time. If not the atk mask that has +mp is good.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-19 08:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Hiryo said:
I agree with Super. Selling dusk for Aurore is like them Wars who tp in askar head and a blitz ring >.>

I'm on my iPhone atm so I'm not going to go through those massive lists yet.

Again Supers set is good but I'd swap spike for PCA / PCC to tp in if you have it, deffo get a pair of Combat Mittens +1 they will last you until haste gear for that slot.

For head you could get a voy salute for the 41+ levels, and get the acc ring at the same time. If not the atk mask that has +mp is good.

Totally forgot about PCC, noob moment. Edited post. I was in my Lv25 gear set mind D:

I actually have a Lv40ish set lying around for Under Observation runs.. Let me check what it is.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-19 08:59:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay, the set I have is a little differant to what you should be wearing in xp pt.. As it's more of a solo set. So i'll make up a quick one. Not saying it's perfect, but honestly compared to what most blu's use it should do well. Upgrade where you see fit.

(Main)Cent/Combat Caster's +2 (Good base dmg)
(Sub)Cent/Combat Caster's (AF works.. but I like the acc. HQ don't really matter but if you have the gil^^)
(Head)Precision Bandana/Voyager's (A little high but get one now if you don't have)
(Neck)PCC/Spike
(earring1)Optical
(earring2)HQ beetle (Pilfer's when /thf personally if u have one)
(Body)Savage
(hands)Combat Mittens +1
(ring1)Rajas
(ring2)Best acc ring you can afford
(back)Exactitude/+1
(Waist)Tilt/Hmp belt for resting
(legs)Savage if need mp.. Garrison still nice for spells.
(feet)Savage

This set is done completely from memory/what you posted. Could be better gear out there, especially new stuff I know jack about. But I hope this helps a lil, seems you already know what you should be wearing, though.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-08-19 09:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not one to talk as Im the same way, but like others have said, gear doesnt matter as much in lower levels. just gear smart.

aim for ACC/DEX/ATT/STR, and maybe EVA if you solo a lot. I wouldnt worry too much about gearing until the 50s.
 Leviathan.Anbu
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-08-19 09:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Vontri said:

long story short i'm a gimp ***

Lmao fixed
[+]
 Cerberus.Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-08-19 11:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Carbuncle.Vontri said:

long story short i'm a gimp ***

Lmao fixed

QFT^
By daddyrabbit4444 2010-08-19 13:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

full pink gear and ur set no gear is better all u haters keep haten
 Leviathan.Anbu
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-08-19 13:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

daddyrabbit4444 said:
full pink gear and ur set no gear is better all u haters keep haten

GTFO you fuking Gimp BUM!
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-19 19:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Superdan said:

You talk about derailing.. When you're posting Lv75 gearsets for a Lv25-30?

Also, OP just incase you magically hit 75.. Don't sell dusk hands, discard turban and wear full pink ~.~

Now, back on track. I believe you're worrying way too much about Lv20-30 gear.

Flame Sword/Cent sword (main)
Flame Sword/Cent Sword (sub)
Precision Bandana (head)
Spike Necklace/PCC (neck)
Optical/HQ beetle earrings (earrings)
HQ beetle/Merc capt (body)
Battle gloves/Combat Mittens +1 (Hands)
Rajas/STR ring (Rings) Archer's nice but.. 300k for a Lv25 job is ridiculous for me)
Bounding/Savage (Feet)
Exactitude (back)
I used brave.. But there isn't any real great DD peice for waist :/ Mohbwa sash for resting (Waist)
Garrison Hose imo (legs) if ya dont mind spenidng gil / ever on AH

Is what I'd use.

This is what I've been needing, since I have alot of gear choices and don't know which to use for what level range. I'm sure alot of things depend on what I'm doing or what spells I'm using, But, I want to know what I should aim for while leveling.
Shiva.Superdan said:
Okay, the set I have is a little differant to what you should be wearing in xp pt.. As it's more of a solo set. So i'll make up a quick one. Not saying it's perfect, but honestly compared to what most blu's use it should do well. Upgrade where you see fit.

(Main)Cent/Combat Caster's +2 (Good base dmg)
(Sub)Cent/Combat Caster's (AF works.. but I like the acc. HQ don't really matter but if you have the gil^^)
(Head)Precision Bandana/Voyager's (A little high but get one now if you don't have)
(Neck)PCC/Spike
(earring1)Optical
(earring2)HQ beetle (Pilfer's when /thf personally if u have one)
(Body)Savage
(hands)Combat Mittens +1
(ring1)Rajas
(ring2)Best acc ring you can afford
(back)Exactitude/+1
(Waist)Tilt/Hmp belt for resting
(legs)Savage if need mp.. Garrison still nice for spells.
(feet)Savage

This set is done completely from memory/what you posted. Could be better gear out there, especially new stuff I know jack about. But I hope this helps a lil, seems you already know what you should be wearing, though.

I acually plan to do UO if I can't get a PCA, and then sell the PCC later once I get the PCA. So yeah, that list helps more then you know. Rajas will take me some time to get, concidering my whm is only 57, and only on chapter 5, But now with uncapped I'm sure if I can get 4ish 75-80 friends together, I could breeze to chapter 8(Then it gets harder...).

I won't make a 41-50 set of gear, since its going to recycle alot of the prefious gear sets, except like voeyer thing for head, +1/2 of combat caster scimitar thing, ext.

Thank you so far from people helping so much. I hate to ask, But can someone give me some kinda idea what traits I should aim for? Someone said something about battle dance+uppercut for att bonus, and someone also linked a spreedsheets(Which I've never used, and never will use >.>) but I'd rather get some personal experience. And I know 'Blu is a versital job, learn how YOU play.'
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-19 20:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, there is no absolutely ground breaking JA's for blu at low level. There's auto-regen from Heep Song & Healing Breeze.. But it's a waste of blue points imo, unless maybe if you are in a mandy pt.. and have those spells set for waking up your pt/sleeping links :/

There is also Beast Killer / Lizard Killer - Only really useful if you're soloing those types, or blu/war cocoon tanking low level (Again, only if against those mob types)
Beastkiller = Wild Outs / Sprout smack
LizardKiller = Foot Kick / Claw Cyclone

Clear Mind Tier1 could be very useful, I will admit. At low level you have no refresh (Except maybe balad1 & FoV..) and no aspir yet, so you're going to need to rest between pulls. I highly reccommend Clear Mind & HMP gear (the little you can get) as each extra mp is vital for your DPS. Don't matter how much STR / DEX / Acc you have if you have 0mp to use.
Clear Mind = Poison Breath / Soporific

(Not the worse spells either.. Poison breath, being a breath attack, albeit a weak one, can be nice on high def enemies, and Soporific you can use as your parties emergency sleep)

Like you stated, their is attack bonus at 38 with battle dance & Uppercut. If it weren't for the fact that they both give great mods, I wouldn't use it. Attack isn't hugely important imo, but it IS extra damage, and the spells ARE good.

I believe they are the only decent ones before 50.. Unless you want Defense Bonus for some kind of tanking purpose.. And event then, the amount of blu points for that measly amount of defense isn't worth it for me. (Grand Slam/Terror Touch)

Oh, almost forgot. You CAN set MaB at Lv32 with Cursed Sphere and Sound Blast. Honestly, I didn't use it, but I wasn't exactly a blu, however it's only really useful if you're MBing with Burst Affinity. In general your magical spells won't hit hard enough on a DMG/MP ratio to be worth it in XP situations.. and then you need a whole other set of gear. I sometimes used to Solo fusion - MB Bomb toss for fun, though.

Obviously the 2 important high lvl ones are Auto-Refresh & Acc bonus.
Auto-refresh is admitedly a real *** before sea spells. Takes 14 blue points to set at Lv58.

Btw acc bonus = Dimensional Death & fren rip (At 72+ swap DD for Disseverment)

Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2010-08-19 22:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I remembered something I've been meaning to ask. I know chain afflinity ups damage even with 0% tp, But what about burst afflinity and m.acc? Say I use burst afflinity>mp drainkiss, Will I see a higher aspir?

Edit: I also forgot to ask, For 20-50's.. Save tp or burn it? I know tp affects most spells acc(crit or just acc period)
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-20 01:38:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Burn TP, self-SC as appropriate. Burst Affinity does add some macc so pairing it with MP Drainkiss whenever possible is a very good idea.
 Shiva.Superdan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-20 07:26:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Renala said:
I remembered something I've been meaning to ask. I know chain afflinity ups damage even with 0% tp, But what about burst afflinity and m.acc? Say I use burst afflinity>mp drainkiss, Will I see a higher aspir?

Edit: I also forgot to ask, For 20-50's.. Save tp or burn it? I know tp affects most spells acc(crit or just acc period)

Common misconception. TP only affects spells under the effect of Chain affinity. Don't be sitting with 300% tp thinking your spells are doing more damage. WS as appropriate.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-20 07:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Though not auro more of a homam thing but don't be afriad to cast in your tp gear if your mp is full enough where switching will lose you alot of mp. I think my full dmg set to my tp set is a good 200+ mp difference. That's 3 more dmg spells. Sure they might be somewhat gimped ones but still don't like losing that much
[+]
 Leviathan.Anbu
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-08-20 09:41:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
Though not auro more of a homam thing but don't be afriad to cast in your tp gear if your mp is full enough where switching will lose you alot of mp. I think my full dmg set to my tp set is a good 200+ mp difference. That's 3 more dmg spells. Sure they might be somewhat gimped ones but still don't like losing that much

GIMP 0.0 ALERT:

Always cast DD spells in Damage set!
Only spell you cast in TP set is headbutt.
Macro's are your best friend.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-08-20 09:43:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:

GIMP 0.0 ALERT:

Always cast DD spells in Damage set!
Only spell you cast in TP set is headbutt.
Macro's are your best friend.

I fail to see how squeezing 2-3 "free" spells out makes you gimp. Can you please explain?
 Leviathan.Anbu
By Leviathan.Anbu 2010-08-20 09:50:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
GIMP 0.0 ALERT: Always cast DD spells in Damage set! Only spell you cast in TP set is headbutt. Macro's are your best friend.
I fail to see how squeezing 2-3 "free" spells out makes you gimp. Can you please explain?

1st. I doubt if there is a 200+ mp differance between tp and damage set.

2nd. A good Blu know's how to manage MP with B.Charge now a 7 tick refresh with gear,spell,trait and Npc...Who is running out of MP unless your spaming.

3.If your going to cast in a TP set what is the point of having a DD set for CA only? lol That's GIMP.
[+]
 Siren.Temeraire
Server: Siren
user: Temeraire
By Siren.Temeraire 2010-08-20 10:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Anbu said:
Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Leviathan.Anbu said:
GIMP 0.0 ALERT: Always cast DD spells in Damage set! Only spell you cast in TP set is headbutt. Macro's are your best friend.
1st. I doubt if there is a 200+ mp differance between tp and damage set. 2nd. A good Blu know how to manage MP with B.Charge now and a 7 tick refresh with gear,spell,trait and Npc...Who is running out of MP unless your spaming. 3.If your going to cast in a TP set what the point of having a DD set for CA only? lol Thats GIMP.

Not a BLU, but I've definitely seen WHMs stack on max MP sets for "free" spells. It makes sense to me only in a pre-fight sense for getting the most out of your pro/shell duration. If you do it during a fight, you gimp your Devotion, -enmity, and recast timers for a few extra spell casts when close to max MP.

In reality, it makes little difference. A good WHM is able to manage their MP in such a way that they never run out whatever the technique they use to get it done. I strongly suspect that BLU is exactly the same in that regard.