Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Paladin DD set up
Paladin DD set up
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Malekith 2009-01-21 12:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

As a purely intellectual exercise this is a fun challenge....

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=54251

But upon pondering the question further for a PLD to really unlock their potential they;d have to basically rock full ares, WS in heca/ aurum/ares wearing pieces that best had rating for STR when doing Vorpal Blade... and eat meat!

Again this is all for fun and all for showing off... If you're a serious PLD you're not going to show up to a party geared for DD when everyone expects you to blood tank...
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-21 13:46:21
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Not bad, however I would prefer not to shovel TP into the mob's mouth with a KC. Personally I'd go for Organics sub Joyeuse. Also PLD has some of the highest base STR of all the jobs. I'd go for adding accuracy and attack since they don't have much support in that field aside from gear.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-01-21 13:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:
Not bad, however I would prefer not to shovel TP into the mob's mouth with a KC. Personally I'd go for Organics sub Joyeuse. Also PLD has some of the highest base STR of all the jobs. I'd go for adding accuracy and attack since they don't have much support in that field aside from gear.

Well I was just throwing together gear off the top of my head, based off things I already have and stuff I'd like to get but what would be reasonable so far as being able to obtain. Hell if I really wanted to be silly I'd toss in ninurta's sash or a sonic belt. As for adding in more ACC/ATK? My thinking is this... since the PLD is using Joy/ Organics combo you're already geared with a weapon where the job has A+ Skill (276 cap). Add in 8 sword merits (+16 skill) + Suppanomimi (+5 skill) + Fortitude Torque (+7 skill) and that's +28 extra sword skill. Per my knowledge each point of skill = +2 ACC & +2 ATK. So +56 ACC/ ATK over base capped skill.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-01-21 14:37:09
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

That's true, I suppose it's best to keep a mixture of dream gear yet semi-realistic in chances of obtaining. But all in all I like what I see.
 Ragnarok.Thoru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Thoru
By Ragnarok.Thoru 2009-01-21 14:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

One reason and thats campaigne lots of fun.
=D
 Caitsith.Shinsama
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Shinsama 2009-01-21 15:24:45
Link | Quote | Reply

people who say pld cant DD makes me sad...

pld does have A+ sword skill iirc, they also have one of the highest base str... they also get Heavy armor and Heca gear
truely, if sword WS were not so poor, a pld would be one of the top DD
i know i have broken 1k vorpal blade a number of times in exp party on greater colibri etc

Atonement helps so much though xDDD
instead of 300~1000 vorps, i just spam 750 atonements now
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-21 15:45:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfo said:
Well, the reason behind what i stated is: I leveled RDM and WHM to heal. I leveled bard and RDM to a lesser degree to buff parties. I leveled paladin and working on ninja to tank, if either of these two jobs is more fit to DD, it'd be ninja hands down. I leveled BLM, WAR and MNK to do damage. So to me i just find it odd people asking exclusively about paladin doing dmg since it's not it's job aside from a burn party where you won't have much hate and therefore you're a wasted party slot since your dmg is dwarfed by melee jobs anyway (if you can even get an invite) It's like if a blm set out asking about how to make the best healer mage builds, it's not it's job but yah it can work in a certain setup.. you'd be redesigning your entire build for one occassion though and carrying tons of excess gears. Honestly i have a pretty damn good melee build for my paladin, inherited from my war but i never use it ever and this is why: I could deal the slightly better dmg numbers that this build gives. On HNM's or anything else endgame related where i should be focused on tanking.. it's pretty worthless though and an enmity build is definitely smarter. In exp sure it may be feasible to an extent... but i would rather not attempt to play this job in any merit party and subject myself as well as everyone else to slower exp just so i can 'have fun' to me doing dmg is alot more fun on a job that atually does dmg... also when i have a bunch of other more fit for exping lvl 75 jobs, why would i?

I wish i came up with an argument this good =P
 Asura.Melisia
user: Soraku
By Asura.Melisia 2009-01-21 16:18:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Paladin can do a lot of damage if well geared. A haste build and excal are all that are really required. An aegis is a plus it conserves a lot of hp. I believe Stanislav managed to nearly kill Niddhog in 17 minutes with him being the only person to dd it. I believe he had to end up holding it for a buyer of sorts to come to the Aery before he could finally kill it. I know Stanislav also has some impressive parses else where. The key to pld DD is Excalibur.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-21 16:24:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Melisia said:
Paladin can do a lot of damage if well geared. A haste build and excal are all that are really required. An aegis is a plus it conserves a lot of hp. I believe Stanislav managed to nearly kill Niddhog in 17 minutes with him being the only person to dd it. I believe he had to end up holding it for a buyer of sorts to come to the Aery before he could finally kill it. I know Stanislav also has some impressive parses else where. The key to pld DD is Excalibur.

So you mean that:

To PLD DD you need to spend roughly 150-200mil server dependant for not one but two relics. That would be why i would have to say... it isn't remotely worthwhile to try to DD this job, when you can just lvl a job that is a natural DD and DD for much cheaper.

I call BS on him being the sole DD on Nidhogg killing it in 17 minutes. He surely must have had some BLM there, nobody goes up on a Nid with just a tank and a few whm/rdm/brd. Nobody.
 Asura.Melisia
By Asura.Melisia 2009-01-21 16:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/ffxi-advanced-player-discussion/62297-completed-relic-mythic-weapons-list-52.html#post2403414

Is the bg post. Just him and a sch for damage. So your right he didn't take 17 minutes he took 18 and he had to hold it at 5% for the buyer.

Also do not take what I said out of context. I meant, if Paladin want to DD on the level of a Warrior or Samurai(Maybe not the best geared) on almost any mob(exp to hnm) then Excalibur is a godsend.

Edit: What's a few 100 mil when you can play paladin and convince your LS to let your bring it to EVERY event ^.^
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-21 16:35:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Yah and it's not exactly like excalibur is whithin reach of 99% of people who play paladin.

Hell, its not something i would even want to dump the money into, You talk about it like its a *** joyeuse/hrotti or an AH sword, and you must have it "The key to pld DD is excalibur". I'm not taking that out of context, it's your own wording.

Edit: not everyone has a few hundred mil. You might, I might, but the vast majority of players, especially first time 75 plds do not have 100mil, so throwing that option is kinda.. lol.
 Asura.Melisia
By Asura.Melisia 2009-01-21 17:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Smurfo said:
Level war, mnk drg, drk, thf, rng, sam, blu, whm hell, almost anything will outparse pld..

This simply is not true because for the most part it doesn't even matter about the job. The variables such as: gear, skill, style, macros, mobs being fought, and merits all play much larger roles then jobs. In the realm of relics a Paladin can easily out parse a relic monk on Nidhogg. Where as in the realm of non relics a Paladin can out dd a thf on Trolls with a simple Justice sword Joy toy build. Paladin is capable of doing damage, but the time it takes to get the gear is all the joy of playing the game.

Keep in mind this is a PLD dd build thread not a "What job should I level to DD thread". Where in my suggestion as to how Excalibur will make you a far superior DD is relevant and your "You should just level another job" argument is null and void.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-01-21 17:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Melisia said:

This simply is not true because for the most part it doesn't even matter about the job. The variables such as: gear, skill, style, macros, mobs being fought, and merits all play much larger roles then jobs. In the realm of relics a Paladin can easily out parse a relic monk on Nidhogg. Where as in the realm of non relics a Paladin can out dd a thf on Trolls with a simple Justice sword Joy toy build. Paladin is capable of doing damage, but the time it takes to get the gear is all the joy of playing the game.

Keep in mind this is a PLD dd build thread not a "What job should I level to DD thread". Where in my suggestion as to how Excalibur will make you a far superior DD is relevant and your "You should just level another job" argument is null and void.

Sure, because you would bring a MNK to Nidhogg ? & would parse the MNK & the PLD on it ? you should try PLD vs THF too if you like no ? just to see which of them does the +1 or +2 dmg on melee hit ? sorry not to be a *** but there need to be a bit of thinking before talking, keep in mind the OP need valuable infos, not somes deliriums....

"I meant, if Paladin want to DD on the level of a Warrior or Samurai" But suuuuuuuuuuuuure !!!!! like a PLD is able to get a 5hit build setup for a WS Spam with a 75% STR modif & somes TP modif on WS(s) or like a WAR with 30~35% proc on double attack & with some powerfull Gaxe or Dual Axe/Ridill burple hauberk ? there is a saying "good ridiculous don't kill"

You are talking about gears/skills/merits etc, don't forget the jobs traits, abilitys & stats, its what make the jobs what they are at the begining, its not like PLD is a DD because it can wear an Haubergon, or so what MNK is a healer because it can wear a Light staff ?
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-21 17:53:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecilharvey said:
so what MNK is a healer because it can wear a Vermillion Cloak ?

fixed
 Asura.Melisia
By Asura.Melisia 2009-01-21 17:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Cecilharvey said:

Sure, because you would bring a MNK to Nidhogg ? & make a comparation betwin the MNK & the PLD on dmg ? you should try PLD vs THF too if you like no ? just to see which of them does the +1 dmg on melee hit ? sorry not to be a *** but there need to be a bit of thinking before talking, keep in mind the OP need valuable infos, not somes deliriums....

"I meant, if Paladin want to DD on the level of a Warrior or Samurai" But suuuuuuuuuuuuure !!!!! like a PLD is able to get a 5hit build setup for a WS Spam with a 75% STR modif & somes TP modif or like a WAR with 30~35% proc on double attack & with some powerfull Gaxe or Dual Axe/Ridill ? there is a saying "good ridiculous don't kill"

You are talking about gears/skills etc, don't forget the jobs traits & abilitys, its what make them what they are at the begining, its not like PLD is a DD because it can wear an Haubergon, or so what MNK is a healer because it can wear a Light staff ?

While you are correct job traits and abilities do come into play, I was discussing paladin specifically. I did not make any reference to any other job I was simply replying to our friend smurfo's comment that Paladin could be out parsed by just about any other job. He listed thf and monk as two possible jobs so I proved him wrong on those two regards. Please try to read and understand my comments where directed towards the person I quoted in order to bring a different perspective to the conversation.

In response to OP it is very possible for a paladin to reliably keep up in a merit party and for that merit party to keep chain. I assume that is your general reason for creating this thread. When I merit with my friends we go mnk war war pld brd rdm. We keep chain on trolls and I parse at around 20% total damage keeping in mind I do not have a relic. My party members are well geared and every one has one or two salvage pieces. I am able to keep up using Meat a few pieces of Homam, ares body, joytoy/justice, and a few other DD pieces. I hope this is helpful.

Edit: And as mentioned before, if you want to DD at the level of say HNM the best and most effective way to do so is with Excalibur. I geared my response to the idea of DD in a merit party but thought I should make it clear that this would be in almost no way as effective in an HNM fight. The most beneficial part of a build with this relic is you are mainly tanking but you are still able to add substantial numbers to the parse.
 Cerberus.Cecilharvey
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Cecilharvey 2009-01-21 18:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

How do you know ? Do you have an Exca ? Did you tried your theory ? i seen a Exca PLD trying to DD on Khimaira & it was lol, i personaly wouldn't try to test getting an Excalibur even if i had the gils for it, because i'm 100% sure i'd have wasted 150~200M for "from what you say" an OMGOHGOD weapon which can change a PLD in Top DD to finaly ending upset because its not working as planed.

You talked about Stanislav, i believe the leader of Exellence on Hades, well i don't see how a SCH & just a PLD could take Nidh to 5% in 17 min sorry, sound like more a BS to me. Exellence might be a very skilled LS, but that one is too big lol, when you know an ally with 18ppl counting a BLM PT who is doing MB Burst II on Nidhogg could possibly take it down in 15 min if the alliance is from a very skilled LS, Nid can spam hurricain wing & i don't count how much terror, so 1 PLD & 1 SCH as DD in 17 min, sorry NO lol.

But heh, lets staying on the subject, sorry for going far of it. =p
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-21 18:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea of PLD being a damage dealer isn't what people are griping about. In fact, I can only see two posts where somebody actually says, "Paladin can't damage deal, period, /wrist". The general argument being thrown about here is that there's just better options.

Enjoying going to merit parties on PLD/NIN? Good for you, but I know I wouldn't invite you; NOT because I think you're a moron for choosing that mix, it's simply that there are better choices out there.

I don't think people mean to be rude and demeaning when they say this, just matter of fact. If I had the choice between a WAR or a PLD, I'd take the WAR everytime. The sad truth of the way Sword weapon skill damage is calculated is, even a "not-so-1337" WAR would out parse anything other than a godly equipped PLD.

Nobody's telling you you're not allowed to DD PLD... I don't understand why everyone's getting so defensive about it. The OP asked for advice, people have given it; to level another job, which is, despite what anyone says, decent advice, and very true.

Having fun though? Great! But people shouldn't QQ because people invite SAMs or WARs over them.

This isn't something I'm going to argue about, so feel free to flame or whatever, I won't respond. If anyone wants to try and convince people a PLD could ever out damage an Adaberk Ridill WAR with all the trimmings, though, then I'll start fighting about it, because they'd just be a moron.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-01-21 18:35:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The best thing about Wooooodum posting is the generous helping of side-boob action we all get treated to seeing from her forum avatar! long live the side boob!
 Ragnarok.Anye
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-01-21 18:36:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Celestinia said:
Oh btw Anye I used Brynie for maat fight, it's a nice piece but prob better of with a hauby... saying that being different is never a bad thing =D congrats on 75 too!

Ah! I just saw this; thanks a ton Celes^^
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-21 18:37:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
The best thing about Wooooodum posting is the generous helping of side-boob action we all get treated to seeing from her forum avatar! long live the side boob!

<.<
 Garuda.Bravefencer
By Garuda.Bravefencer 2009-01-21 18:39:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
Malekith said:

&lt;.&lt;

lol i wish woooo was a girl in RL lolol
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-21 18:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The rest of my screenshots definitely suggest I'm not, lol, but at least the avatar's having the desired effect!

I'm still waiting for, "Hey Woo, PLD DD > Adaberk Ridill WAR, /fight" :D
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-01-21 18:44:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Malekith said:
My thinking is this... since the PLD is using Joy/ Organics combo you're already geared with a weapon where the job has A+ Skill (276 cap). Add in 8 sword merits (+16 skill) + Suppanomimi (+5 skill) + Fortitude Torque (+7 skill) and that's +28 extra sword skill. Per my knowledge each point of skill = +2 ACC &amp; +2 ATK. So +56 ACC/ ATK over base capped skill.

I know for a fact that each skill is only 1 attack, by un-equipping a fortitude torque, my attack only lowers 7, and by equipping it, I gain only 7. Not entirely sure about Accuracy, but I believe its .9 for every skill above 200, so it would be == [(Current Skill)-200]*.9 + 200 == to get your total accuracy. At least thats what I've heard.

The Real thing about DDing on higher end mobs is that jobs like THF and MNK, i.e. the "low damage low delay" weapons don't have the power to back them up, like SAM, DRK, and Gaxe WAR. If you really wanted to be a DD PLD, you would have to most likely use Great Sword, and have good mods for WS, with attack and accuracy also. Now something like a Merit party, you could do Dual swords. ~GL
 Asura.Melisia
By Asura.Melisia 2009-01-21 18:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
If anyone wants to try and convince people a PLD could ever out damage an Adaberk Ridill WAR with all the trimmings, though, then I'll start fighting about it, because they'd just be a moron.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6769/meritkl2.jpg

Merit party
Setup was War/nin(Mitia) Mnk/war(Chubbs) Pld/nin(Stanislav) Brd Cor Rdm
Look up Mitia and Chubbs if you want to gauge their gear.
This will be my last post.

Edit: Hades server.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-21 18:55:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Wooooodum said:
out parse anything other than a godly equipped PLD.

I believe Stanislav falls into that category :P
 Kujata.Malicfayt
Server: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-01-21 18:58:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Well Lets see Paladin does not have any native job abilities or skills that Enhance their attack, increase their accuracy, or increase their overall damage.
That being said I can understand where your all coming from. When it comes right down to it Paladin is the end all tank. People understand that. they get it. everyone fully understands PLD is a tank right? get it? got it? good.

We are not talking DD'ing a Land King here people (wtf?). Did the original poster say he was DD'ing land Kings and trying to Melee Cerb? I don't know.... Lighten up? DD PLD has its place as does Tanking PLD. IF every PLD had a DD setup id be one happy thief because i cant count the number of times I've had some tank geared PLD slow killing my farming mobs. (it messes rotation >_> <_<)

The point is every job has multiple purpose's, their is a time and a place for all of them, if you cant grasp the concept its probably because you can not distinguish between them (not hard).

PS. Do i seek smn/sam? um.... (/sigh) No. its purely for my own leisure. If i had mystic staff id argue it more though lol. I only solo on my summoner seeking is a waste of time. smn/sam simply mixes it up, i have so much melee gear i can wear on it while complimenting my avatars, i just keep them out 24/7, I do Spirit taker when i need to, but retribution is prettier O_O;

I still stay by my previous opinion.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-21 18:59:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Well in fairness the OP didn't really say much at all!
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-21 19:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Melisia said:
Wooooodum said:
If anyone wants to try and convince people a PLD could ever out damage an Adaberk Ridill WAR with all the trimmings, though, then I'll start fighting about it, because they'd just be a moron.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6769/meritkl2.jpg Merit party Setup was War/nin(Mitia) Mnk/war(Chubbs) Pld/nin(?)(Stanislav) Brd Cor Rdm Look up Mitia and Chubbs if you want to gauge their gear. This will be my last post. Edit: Hades server.

'
lol. you keep referring to someone else all the time, if PLD is some sort of commonly unknown uber DD, why dont you refer to yourself as one instead of taking 1 single person out of all servers, and point at him saying "hey everyone, see pally is the uber DD job"
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-01-21 19:10:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bravefencer said:
suggestions <CAN it? have i>

I just have to ask this. when you asked for suggestions for DD PLD setup, did you have Excalibur in mind with all the time/gil that you would have to spend to get it, or did you simply wanted to know best DD gear for PLD that you can easily buy from AH?
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-01-21 19:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Erikthecleric said:
Malekith said:
My thinking is this... since the PLD is using Joy/ Organics combo you're already geared with a weapon where the job has A+ Skill (276 cap). Add in 8 sword merits (+16 skill) + Suppanomimi (+5 skill) + Fortitude Torque (+7 skill) and that's +28 extra sword skill. Per my knowledge each point of skill = +2 ACC &amp; +2 ATK. So +56 ACC/ ATK over base capped skill.

I know for a fact that each skill is only 1 attack, by un-equipping a fortitude torque, my attack only lowers 7, and by equipping it, I gain only 7. Not entirely sure about Accuracy, but I believe its .9 for every skill above 200, so it would be == [(Current Skill)-200]*.9 + 200 == to get your total accuracy. At least thats what I've heard.

Glad to have some clarification on what each point of skill actually translates into. However, please don't take my words out of context. When I wrote about sword skill in that snippet you quoted, I was referring to why those items were included instead of ACC or ATK specific gears in an item set I had thrown together.

Moreover, when I first wrote that post I didn't think we were talking about fighting ground kings. I figured for meripo situations, missions/ quests, campaign battle or nyzul isle where else would a DD geared PLD can actually be semi-useful.

IF one had unlimited time and unlimited gil OF COURSE they could gear the job to be better than the average DD using relic, mythic and all sorts of fun RARE/EX gear. HOWEVER Fact is even the best DD geared PLD is going to fall short vs. a melee job where DD is their main focus. It's like comparing a Galka wearing full morrigan set vs. a taru geared the same way, do we really have to argue over who we think will outnuke who? In both instances there's no reason to argue, if anything the point of having such well geared toons is just to have some fun and maybe show off a little bit.

I doubt the original poster set off trying to reinvent the wheel here. Yet instead of people making suggestions and talking about what we think should or should not be worn all I read is "Don't do it!" and "OMG NOOO!"
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10