DRK Testing After (6/21/2010) Update.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK testing After (6/21/2010) update.
DRK testing After (6/21/2010) update.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-24 15:38:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I made Gravitation and Impaction I think with different MNK WSs. Was hard to tell since the MNK switched gear too fast. It's just really shitty overall :/
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-24 15:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as the tp bonus thing goes did anyone try doing it with varying potency on the spells? Like just tp gear on 1 nuke then full out potency (including staffs) with same nuke again?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-24 15:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not enough to be worth it anyway so I don't think a lot of people tried >.>
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-06-24 16:16:24
Link | Quote | Reply

How about Magic Bursting? Perhaps the TP Gain might be affected by it.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-06-24 16:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
As far as the tp bonus thing goes did anyone try doing it with varying potency on the spells? Like just tp gear on 1 nuke then full out potency (including staffs) with same nuke again?

Well like I said on the first page of this thread:

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Well I didn't think it did but to clear any doubt...

I unloaded spellcast so I would stop casting in my dark magic set (320 skill), and then I just casted in TP gear for the StoreTP,Rajas ring, Brutal earring, and I also put in chivalrous chain and askar body too for more StoreTP.

Results: The same TP returns, just like when I casted with full dark magic skill set.

StoreTP doesn't appear to have any effect on the TP returns of spells.

Edit:

That testing of casting the spells with StoreTP gear... I did it as /nin, and like I said...there was no difference between casting with my full dark magic set (320 skill) and casting with STP gear as /nin anyway.

However, I've seen some people report on KI and BG that StoreTP appears to affect the TP returns slightly, with testing done as /sam. (I did my testing as /nin) So I suppose STP may have a slight affect; however, the difference in TP was just about 1 TP higher with /sam than with /nin. And it appears to vary sometimes, so I'm not 100% sure, but yeah....

I was testing if storeTP had any affect, but at the same time, while doing the testing with StoreTP gear, I had 285 Dark magic skill, then when I did the testing with my Dark magic set I had 320 Dark magic skill... and like I stated previously, there was no difference in the TP gain with spells between casting with TP/STP gear(285 dark skill) and casting with dark magic set (320 dark skill),as /nin.

------------------------------------------------------------

On another note regarding TP with "Occult Acumen"....I was thinking about this:

It clearly states: "*The jobs column indicates the level at which the trait will first be learned. The degree of mastery will increase in stages thereafter."

source: http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/5561/detail.html

So, of course, what I wanted to get to:

Does this mean that we will get higher levels of the "Occult Acumen" job trait at later levels, thus we will be getting more TP for doing damage with spells at higher levels ? Also, if so, how much more TP ?

We'll see...

Going purely by what SE says there, it would be logical to assume that. Nevertheless, I found that with SE, it is usually best to expect nothing...that way it won't be as disappointing when/if they ruin something that had potential... just saying.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-24 16:47:13
Link | Quote | Reply

That doesn't answer the question at all though. I said nukes.

I mean really all you did was add a little bit more dark skill. That isn't going to produce a huge consistent change in your bio/draining and wont do anything for the nukes.

However the dmg difference from tp gear to actual nuking gear is a good double dmg or more. Even more so if you change to /blm
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-24 17:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Curious observation: when doing it just before Meltdown (Dolls) I took less damage than everyone else. 1901 Meltdown on the MNK while I took 792 then 1k+ on 3 DDs while I took 400. Maybe this has something to do with the Attack Down effect?
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-06-24 17:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Curious observation: when doing it just before Meltdown (Dolls) I took less damage than everyone else. 1901 Meltdown on the MNK while I took 792 then 1k on 3 DDs while I took 400. Maybe this has something to do with the Attack Down effect?

WOW just WOW... lololo
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-24 17:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

What? It's not impossible for SE to do something like that. It's not really good for anything else.
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-06-24 17:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

First of all its an attack down effect not, a magic attack down effect. Secondly the debuff would work for the whole party not only you, only a buff on you would work like that.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-06-24 17:33:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:
How about Magic Bursting? Perhaps the TP Gain might be affected by it.

Has there been any testing on this yet? (Yes, I did just quote myself.)
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-24 17:37:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
First of all its an attack down effect not, a magic attack down effect. Secondly the debuff would work for the whole party not only you, only a buff on you would work like that.

Was just a theory, never said that's what it did. It says attack down but I never saw any difference in normal hits on any mob I've used it on. That was the only time I saw the damage tank quite a bit but I never said it was how it worked.
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-06-24 17:41:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:

Was just a theory, never said that's what it did. It says attack down but I never saw any difference in normal hits on any mob I've used it on. That was the only time I saw the damage tank quite a bit but I never said it was how it worked.

It doesnt matter if its a theory or you are calling it fact either way ur HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-24 18:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:

If you want to test that theory go try it on 1k needles. Bravura's aftermath is a -damage effect just for its user so a weaponskill with that function already exists. Go test it and come back here with the info :D

@max don't be a ***/troll. People are throwing around ideas, that's how progress is made wether it seems absurd or not.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-06-24 18:04:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
That doesn't answer the question at all though. I said nukes.

I mean really all you did was add a little bit more dark skill. That isn't going to produce a huge consistent change in your bio/draining and wont do anything for the nukes.

However the dmg difference from tp gear to actual nuking gear is a good double dmg or more. Even more so if you change to /blm

Well like I said, my base Dark magic skill at lvl75 DRK is 285 skill(I have max dark magic merits too), and with my Dark magic set it is 320 skill.

How can I go lower than 285 without doing level sync? And I don't posses other dark skill pieces to increase my dark skill specifically any higher atm.(my nuevo coselete's +4 magicacc, omega ring etc don't count as pure dark skill in terms of potency, just helps with resists.) I'm lv76 now and at 80 my dark skill should be even higher too, but at the time of the testing I was lv75.

Also, I do notice more potent drains casting with my dark magic set than if I casted without it. (My dark set gives me +35 dark skill over my base skill(go from 285 to 320) and skill is the only thing that affects drain's potency, not to mention that on darksday/dark weather spellcast equips my Anrin obi on my dark set as well)

BioII I do 8/tick with my Bio set, which actually has Dark magic skill 302 iirc. (only need 291 skill to do 8/tick with bioII, so 302 for my bio set is more than enough, and then I put in other slots magic attack bonus from: earring, relic body, and vicious mufflers..to increase the initial damage of my Bio/2 as well. If I casted BioII without my bio set, I would do 7/tick instead of 8/tick, and the initial damage of my bio would be weaker too.

So yeah, using appropriate gear sets for drains and bio etc. does help them respectively. Nevertheless, you are right in that Dark magic skill will do nothing for nuking elemental spells.

I guess I just didn't read your post correctly there, so my bad heh. Still, I can tell you that I did cast the elemental nuking spells that I tested, (Stone, Stone II, thunder, and Thunder II) with this:

But to answer your question directly, Dasva, no... I didn't test with both elementalNuking set and TP/melee set for elemental spells. All the elemental spells that I tested where done with the above set(and yeah I was not /blm...I was /nin), and gave the results posted in the OP. (for stone, thunder etc.) And other people's testing seem to agree with mine as well.

Still, I don't think the more damage your spell does, the more TP you get necessarily... I think it is based more on spell "tiers" and the type of spell used...or in other words, you get about a certain amount of TP with Tier Is, a certain amount of TP with Tier IIs, etc. And the difference is very small anyway. Drain always gave me 1 TP and Drain 2 always gave me 2 TP etc. And spells like Bio and stone gave zero TP, while Bio II gave 2 TP, and stone 2 gave 1 TP.

Also, before anyone talks about that loldrkElementalNuking set... I only really made one (and put it in spellcast etc) because those gear pieces I already use on other different sets for my drk anyway. (the jet seraweels, the sash, the homam head are part of my enfeebling set for casting sleep with drk, the mab gear for bio etc. etc.)
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-06-24 18:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:

If you want to test that theory go try it on 1k needles. Bravura's aftermath is a -damage effect just for its user so a weaponskill with that function already exists. Go test it and come back here with the info :D

@max don't be a ***/troll. People are throwing around ideas, that's how progress is made wether it seems absurd or not.

Learn game mechanics idiot - damage taken is nothing like attack down, and dont call me a *** troll you *** retard.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-24 18:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
If you want to test that theory go try it on 1k needles. Bravura's aftermath is a -damage effect just for its user so a weaponskill with that function already exists. Go test it and come back here with the info :D @max don't be a ***/troll. People are throwing around ideas, that's how progress is made wether it seems absurd or not.
Learn game mechanics idiot - damage taken is nothing like attack down, and dont call me a *** troll you *** retard.

Yea I have no idea about game mechanics at all. It could be -damage without it explicitly saying so. I mean it clearly doesn't give the attack down effect in the standard way does it? So yes, you are being a troll.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-06-24 18:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
If you want to test that theory go try it on 1k needles. Bravura's aftermath is a -damage effect just for its user so a weaponskill with that function already exists. Go test it and come back here with the info :D @max don't be a ***/troll. People are throwing around ideas, that's how progress is made wether it seems absurd or not.

Yea I have no idea about game mechanics at all. It could be -damage without it explicitly saying so. I mean it clearly doesn't give the attack down effect in the standard way does it? So yes, you are being a troll.

Stop calling me a troll u *** retard. Just because you cant understand the game doesnt mean im a troll ***.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-24 18:18:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Stop calling me a troll u *** retard. Just because you cant understand the game doesnt mean im a troll ***.

You seem to be a very emotional/angry troll too. Those are the best kind.

Anyways back to the conversation, my point simply was that nobody knows what it does at this point so testing every theory you can think of is the best method. I will admit it is far fetched for it to be -damage but there are no better suggestions atm. Rather than insult those who put forth suggestions perhaps contribute your own or stfu? Obviously -attack would only effect the pdif portion of the damage equation. It was already tested on blue gartr that mobs do not recieve a -attack value. This means either the weapon skill is broken and does not do what it's intended or, we're missinterupting what it's intended to do.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-06-24 20:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Somebody seems very angry and disgruntled. o.O
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-06-24 22:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Magic Bursts

Do we get more TP from them or not?

I don't believe we have covered this yet
 Diabolos.Neclord
Server: Diabolos
user: Neclord
By Diabolos.Neclord 2010-06-24 23:20:24
Link | Quote | Reply

did a mb of 720 with dark seal+ nether void + drain 2 got 2 tp from it. dark skill is at 286 , most tp i got was 5 from stone 3....was doing campaign when i did both.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2010-06-25 01:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Neclord said:
did a mb of 720 with dark seal nether void drain 2 got 2 tp from it. dark skill is at 286 , most tp i got was 5 from stone 3....was doing campaign when i did both.

So the TP gain remains the same regardless. Damn.
 Lakshmi.Visc
Server: Lakshmi
user: Visc
By Lakshmi.Visc 2010-06-25 06:27:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I was kinda hopin we'd get Death or something fun, lol. But no. Mayb next update.
 Titan.Gennss
Server: Titan
user: gennss
By Titan.Gennss 2010-06-25 06:41:03
Link | Quote | Reply

As for infernal scythe. I think its DarkA / EarthB b/c it doesn't seem to do lvl 3 skillchains as gravitation.

Did get a bunch of lvl 1 sc's out of it though which is how i came up with the theory.
 Titan.Xaveron
user: Xaveron
By Titan.Xaveron 2010-06-26 10:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

SE seems to always gimp DRK one way or another. Both the new job trait and job ability are completely useless. Our elemental spells are a joke. All in all, it seems that us DRK's will have to play the exact same way we always have. Hit, take hate, then either turn around fast or die, lol. I wish enough people would complain to SE so we can finally get something worth while in some future updates. Occult Acumen makes next to nothing in terms of anything beneficial. Furthermore, Nether Void literally has yet to make the slightest bit of difference in any of my drains or absorb spells. SE needs to straighten up, we all saw what happened to FF13. :(
 Valefor.Ivaan
Server: Valefor
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2010-06-26 10:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

well nether void is nice, increased my drain2 by 200 more dmg per spell on things that didnt resist, so it was a nice addition.
 Titan.Xaveron
user: Xaveron
By Titan.Xaveron 2010-06-26 10:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude, layoff with the scholar crap. No one is answering because this is a DRK chat (hence we don't really nuke so you must be an overly excited Scholar). Give it a shot when you hit 78 SCH please.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-26 11:13:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Xaveron said:
SE seems to always gimp DRK one way or another. Both the new job trait and job ability are completely useless. Our elemental spells are a joke. All in all, it seems that us DRK's will have to play the exact same way we always have. Hit, take hate, then either turn around fast or die, lol. I wish enough people would complain to SE so we can finally get something worth while in some future updates. Occult Acumen makes next to nothing in terms of anything beneficial. Furthermore, Nether Void literally has yet to make the slightest bit of difference in any of my drains or absorb spells. SE needs to straighten up, we all saw what happened to FF13. :(

Yah, totally useless brah.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-26 11:23:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:

You seem to be a very emotional/angry troll too. Those are the best kind.

Anyways back to the conversation, my point simply was that nobody knows what it does at this point so testing every theory you can think of is the best method. I will admit it is far fetched for it to be -damage but there are no better suggestions atm. Rather than insult those who put forth suggestions perhaps contribute your own or stfu? Obviously -attack would only effect the pdif portion of the damage equation. It was already tested on blue gartr that mobs do not recieve a -attack value. This means either the weapon skill is broken and does not do what it's intended or, we're missinterupting what it's intended to do.

I noticed something while skilling up on Aerns in Hu'zxoi, is that, when they use Depuration, Infernal Scythe's "Effect" is not removed. This substntiates the "Doesn't do ***" or "Misinterpretation of the help text" theories, however, while I don't notice anything alone, I do notice that when Combined with Bio II, the monsters hit for around 20-30 on loldrk(Including the still T 81 Aerns), with Bio II, or Infernal Scythe alone, no effect at all is noticed.