DRK Testing After (6/21/2010) Update.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK testing After (6/21/2010) update.
DRK testing After (6/21/2010) update.
 Titan.Xaveron
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Xaveron
By Titan.Xaveron 2010-06-26 11:26:35
Link | Quote | Reply

WOW, thats some stuff right there Zic, easy to get greater drains with a higher dark magic skill and no resistence to the spell. Go to campaign and use drain 2 on Jagibod once his vehicle (for a lack of a bettter word) has been taken out. That alone will show you the difference between resisted spells and those that are completely unresisted. I've watched many of lvl 80 DRK's use nether void with drain 2 and get a whopping 230hp, whereas I wouldn't use nether void and get roughly 350hp. Not tryin to knock you, but it would seem obvious that some mobs will get drained for more than others, especially when you have significantly increased your dark magic skill.
 Titan.Xaveron
Server: Titan
user: Xaveron
By Titan.Xaveron 2010-06-26 11:36:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:
First of all its an attack down effect not, a magic attack down effect. Secondly the debuff would work for the whole party not only you, only a buff on you would work like that.
Was just a theory, never said that's what it did. It says attack down but I never saw any difference in normal hits on any mob I've used it on. That was the only time I saw the damage tank quite a bit but I never said it was how it worked.
If you want to test that theory go try it on 1k needles. Bravura's aftermath is a -damage effect just for its user so a weaponskill with that function already exists. Go test it and come back here with the info :D @max don't be a ***/troll. People are throwing around ideas, that's how progress is made wether it seems absurd or not.

I agree completely with you Excel, Max is just being a *** while trying to act like he knows his ****. Grow up Max, get a life, and by all means get off everyone else's back. I personally think that it was some worthy info to mention that he took significantely less dmg. Can't just be chance, been playin DRK for awhile now and we always take more dmg over all melee's and especially pld's. Seems highly logical to bring it up to me.
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-26 11:48:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Xaveron said:
WOW, thats some stuff right there Zic, easy to get greater drains with a higher dark magic skill and no resistence to the spell. Go to campaign and use drain 2 on Jagibod once his vehicle (for a lack of a bettter word) has been taken out. That alone will show you the difference between resisted spells and those that are completely unresisted. I've watched many of lvl 80 DRK's use nether void with drain 2 and get a whopping 230hp, whereas I wouldn't use nether void and get roughly 350hp. Not tryin to knock you, but it would seem obvious that some mobs will get drained for more than others, especially when you have significantly increased your dark magic skill.

Why you wouldn't macro in Dark Magic for Drain to begin with, I have no idea. If you put something in for every slot available with Magic Acc/Dark Magic, it's fairly easy to floor resist rates on everything Not HNM. HNM are a little bit more picky with elemental weakness and Magic Evasion however.
[+]
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-26 11:56:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I think people are missing the fact that the practical application for that ability is preparing for a zerg. Going from a 350 boost to a 525 boost to your HP is going to add a pretty nice chuck of damage to your SE. Personally, I don't use +dark gear for this but I suppose you could do a plutos staff if you're really fast and remacro in your weapon after the drain lands.

No1 has mentioned it that I saw but it also works on aspir II. I can still do 200MP aspirs with it after the nerf which I guess is nice for solo lol. Obviously no real end game use there.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-26 12:04:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
I think people are missing the fact that the practical application for that ability is preparing for a zerg. Going from a 350 boost to a 525 boost to your HP is going to add a pretty nice chuck of damage to your SE. Personally, I don't use dark gear for this but I suppose you could do a plutos staff if you're really fast and remacro in your weapon after the drain lands.

No1 has mentioned it that I saw but it also works on aspir II. I can still do 200MP aspirs with it after the nerf which I guess is nice for solo lol. Obviously no real end game use there.

Nothing about a zerg is a "Practical" Application. They require a little too much preparation. It certainly is the most effective use, but a 2-5 time a week application is hardly practical.

And certainly, if you don't macro in Dark Magic gear, you must be using Dark Seal, which automatically floors the resist rate, but if you don't macro in at least some Dark Magic/Magic Acc in that drain without using dark seal, you're either the Prodigy DRK who's circumvented the magic resist mechanics, or a retard, the kind of Retard who would macro in Pluto's staff on his/her(cuz wimminz play 2 guyz) Absorb-TP cast.

Speaking of Absorb-TP, has anyone noticed increased efficacy? I'm having no problem draining 50-130TP now. It's kinda nice, makes it even worth casting on /SAM.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-26 12:10:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Was testing Infernal in Ballista but the attack down never proc'd once which seems really odd to me.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-26 12:59:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Was testing Infernal in Ballista but the attack down never proc'd once which seems really odd to me.

At least according to the Help Text, It's not supposed to "Proc" It's supposed to be 100%.

So as it stands, DRK has Shadow of Death 2.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-26 13:01:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah, still didn't happen lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-06-26 14:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I tested Herculean slash again on lesser colibris for a bit last night, and the paralysis effect seemed to be quite decent, and I can confirm what Gradd said in the other thread... Magic attack bonus does seem to increase Herculean slash's damage; however, I was doing around 225 dmg with standard GS WS gear (Str/attack), and with some Magic attack bonus and INT gear I was doing around a consistent 279 dmg.. lol

I wish these WSs were stronger damage wise...

You know, using logic... level 76-80 WSs should be stronger than your previous level 60-66 WSs. Or I would like to think so anyway...

Edit:

Also, I agree with Zicdeh... why would people not want to use a Dark magic set ?

Heck I even start casting in fastcast gear, and finish casting in dark skill/magic acc. And for absorb-TP I have a set with a mix of dark skill/magic acc, fastcast and haste to reduce it's recast...since it is a spell. (Also another set with pure dark skill/magic acc for absorb-TP and other spells if I need more magic acc. Also got max dark merits, which are nice)

Yes, casting can lower your melee DoT, specially the more haste you have on you... but there are situations where casting is also good. Mobs doing perfect dodge, melee resistant mobs, situations where absorb-TP is great: elementals, dynamis etc. and also good for other situations if you can time it right. Then spells are also good if you are soloing or doing something with a small group etc. etc.

Not saying you should be casting a lot of magic, specially not in merits or similar situations, but for those situations where you would actually cast magic, having a dark magic set is beneficial. (An enfeebling magic set is also nice. Sleep and sleep II are very useful for some situations. I also have enfeebling merits though...)

Also, even if you only use Drain II with Dark seal for a Zerg.... dark seal may make your spell land without resist, yes;however, dark magic skill is the only thing that increases Drain/drainII's potency(besides Nether Void, which seems to increase the potency of absorb spells, Drain/Drain2 etc. by ~50%), so a dark magic set is still beneficial.
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-26 20:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Well mab would obviously increase the damage, its an elemental WS.

Damage = (( Lv+2+WSC ) * fTP + fINT ) * Resist * Elemental Staves * Weather * MDIF * Magic Damage Adjustment

MDIF is your MAB vs mobs MDB
fINT is your int vs mob's int

Basically stacking INT and MAB will increase the damage of this weapon skill. INT to a lesser extent because there is a cap of 24 on fINT. You could find out the modifier for the WS by testing on lower level mobs but it's not that important. You'll see a higher return in damage by using INT/MAB.