Easiest Mage Job To Level?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Easiest Mage Job to level?
Easiest Mage Job to level?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-05-31 15:40:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
. I'm sure there's plenty of sch's out there who have never used spellcast..not saying it doesn't make you more efficient at your job because it does, but those without only have to work/think a bit quicker and be more selective of the gear they bring.

I've never used windower or spellcast and SCH is my main job. I think it just makes the game more fun and interesting when you have to think a little more about what you're doing, but that's just me. I have a lot of macros to make up for the limitations though but I don't even think about it because I have them all neatly organized and memorized.

I'm not a gear *** either and don't have 10 different gear sets or 20 body pieces just to get +1% haste, but overall I think I do pretty well.
[+]
 Asura.Ebry
Server: Asura
user: Ebry
By Asura.Ebry 2010-05-31 16:37:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Catastrophe said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
*** this x job is a mage but y job isn't. How about we all just become gun mages?

o.O?

A bunch of people just got angry.

Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-31 17:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Outside of soloing on Rdm, I don't see how the job is hard. In exp parties, you just Heal and Refresh. Endgame is the exact same thing, just more Refresh and Haste.
If that's all your rdm is doing he sucks.
That's my question. What else is it supposed to do? Lolnuke? Sleeping anything unwanted of course, but that should be understood.
Enfeeble. Yes nuke. Dispels. Dia. Then kinda depends on your subjob. So stuns, nas, drain/aspir, banish whatever. It's situational but if your rdm isn't really busy you probably aren't needed.

You got alot more mp to play around with then other jobs and generally people pick rdms because of things like that
[+]
 Asura.Ericka
user: foxxie
By Asura.Ericka 2010-05-31 17:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

i must say, SCH was By far the easiest to lvl. Regenga Stonskinga and all the other cool stuff made it very simple to lvl. not to mention once you get Phlanxga (sp) makes it so much more fun etc.

Brd is awesome to lvl but if you don't enjoy singing at every event (once you're 75 that is)and not being able to utilize your other jobs, then its not easy @ all. can become boring very quickly and you will possibly regret lvling it once you see how much its needed at everything. ( in my experience ~.~)

SMN is fun for Soloing Imps, Campaign Battle, Occasional Events, maybe even merit pts depending on the setup of course, but its not fun to lvl unless you SMN burn.

RDM isnt easy but it gets invites fast post 41+

WHM is lol, its the most boring job out of all the mage jobs imo.

BLU is fun also if you have all your spells that is.

DNC is Technically a MAGE job, more so Front line. from watching really decent DNCs, i say its fun and nice to have in PTs. most arent used in particular pt setups so they don't get invited much. also shitty DNCs can mess it up for the decent ones as well.

Can probably do good in endgame at some level, but no one has really found a use for them or has even tried. lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Weasel
Server: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2010-05-31 17:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ericka said:
DNC is Technically a MAGE job

It's a light DD with support abilities. At no time does it cast spells, so I wouldn't call it a mage. Its niche (as small as it may be) overlaps with the healer role quite a bit, but that doesn't mean healing = mage. Chakra doesn't make MNK a mage.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-31 17:58:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ebry said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
*** this x job is a mage but y job isn't. How about we all just become gun mages?

o.O?

Say what you want, but X-2's 'Gun Mage' was stronger and more broken than any other Blue Mage, lol. Could wipe out enemies using no MP whatsoever.
 Asura.Ericka
user: foxxie
By Asura.Ericka 2010-05-31 18:00:10
Link | Quote | Reply

they cure haste debuff etc, doesn't have to cast spells in order for it to be called a mage. same with BRD. BRD is a support role job and has no MP unless it subs WHM ETC. but its classed as a mage job.

would save the arguments if SE labeled the jobs correctly instead of ppl having to decided for themselves on how the job is and what it is.
By semimmortal 2010-05-31 18:07:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Might sound like a troll post, but NIN is kinda mage-like depending on the playstyle...
-ton Ni/San spells ftw?

As for the easiest job to level? RDM (SMN is on par or better depending on your AB Pts).
 Bahamut.Weasel
Server: Bahamut
user: Weasel
By Bahamut.Weasel 2010-05-31 18:19:55
Link | Quote | Reply

BRD is a mage because you have to use spells. If a BRD is silenced you can't cast songs. You use scrolls to learn spells and go into the magic menu to use the songs. Same could be argued for NIN.

And for the record, I found SMN hard to level (this is before SMN burn parties and all that) since it was mostly solo. SCH wasn't super easy either because I ended up in sub-par parties since I couldn't haste or refresh and was there because there was nothing better. BRD was by far the easiest job for me to level for obvious reasons.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-31 18:46:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I still say blm unless you get good with AB burns.

I mean seriously it takes about 1% effort to go out and 1 shot pets for the majority of the lvls. Hell I wouldn't be suprised if you can make a script with windower to do that it's so simple.

/heal. Couple min later get up use strong nuke. /heal. Getting capped xp each kill and going to chain 5s. No help or support of any kind. Yeah anyone can do it
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-05-31 18:48:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Love the logic here. PLD and DRK are also mages then.
I vote BLM too, relatively little work in parties, and soloing is ridiculously easy. Much less a work load than RDM has.
 Asura.Ebry
user: Ebry
By Asura.Ebry 2010-05-31 19:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Asura.Ebry said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:

o.O?

Say what you want, but X-2's 'Gun Mage' was stronger and more broken than any other Blue Mage, lol. Could wipe out enemies using no MP whatsoever.

Ahhhh your speaking positively on behalf of that game @.@ FOR SHAME!
 Shiva.Khimaira
Server: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-05-31 19:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Shayka said:
Khim! I personally think WHM is pretty easy to level, but then again this is from the person that solo's a lot, though even in parties its not that hard to main heal pretty easily, even without /sch. I've done it, but I rock =3 lol. If you leveled BLU, you can level anything.

I cant level everything. I would NOT be able to stomach leveling PUP or BST.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-31 19:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I loved lvling blu. Got lots of invites good at soloing xp thru FOV or campaign later. Getting spells isn't that bad later on. Just seems that way cause you can't just go to the ah and spend 300k on a spell. But that 300k took time to farm
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-31 20:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Khimaira said:
Asura.Shayka said:
Khim! I personally think WHM is pretty easy to level, but then again this is from the person that solo's a lot, though even in parties its not that hard to main heal pretty easily, even without /sch. I've done it, but I rock =3 lol. If you leveled BLU, you can level anything.

PUP's not bad at all post-update.
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-31 20:52:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Khimaira said:
Asura.Shayka said:

pup is a killing machine man
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
Server: Alexander
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-05-31 21:29:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Shiva.Khimaira said:
Asura.Shayka said:
BST is a killing machine man
ftfy
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-05-31 22:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically only the automaton is a killing machine as it is the only machine that kills.
 Asura.Chaparrita
user: Dish
By Asura.Chaparrita 2010-06-01 00:03:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I've leveled WHM, SMN, RDM and BLM (in that order). RDM is by far the simplest to level, even at lower levels (before refresh). Mastering said jobs is another story but that wasn't the question that was asked.
 Asura.Bostech
user: Bostech
By Asura.Bostech 2010-06-01 00:19:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Asura.Bostech said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Allow me to interject for a moment. SCH is, in my opinion, the only job that requires spellcast in order to play it efficiently. I actually manually type out my spells (Using aliases of course. //thunder4 instead of /ma "Thunder IV" <t>), and it sort of streamlines everything. Of course Spellcast equips the right gear and everything (Even equips correct Obis depending on whether or not you have your weather up, and equips Uggalepih Pendant at the right times, etc), there's no reason not to use it, aside from unwillingness to learn.
It doesn't require spellcast. Is it easier? Probably. But I've been playing on xbox for a long time now without it and I play just as efficient and most of the time more so than others. You just have to pay a little more attention and have quick hands.
There's no job in this game that "requires" spellcast. I'm sure there's plenty of sch's out there who have never used spellcast..not saying it doesn't make you more efficient at your job because it does, but those without only have to work/think a bit quicker and be more selective of the gear they bring. As long as someone has enough skill to use the right gear at the right times, skill > gear, always. Mage jobs are going to be challenging regardless, if you're planning on putting effort into them.

Huh? Are you saying spellcast lets you carry more gear in your inventory? And I don't see how spellcast lets you play more efficiently if you're carrying and using the same gear for the same spells. All spellcast does is make it easier for you to do your job efficiently. If you're not playing efficiently or if you're playing less efficiently, it's a skill or laziness problem, not because you don't have spellcast.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-06-01 00:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bostech said:
Unicorn.Nymphadora said:
Asura.Bostech said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Allow me to interject for a moment. SCH is, in my opinion, the only job that requires spellcast in order to play it efficiently. I actually manually type out my spells (Using aliases of course. //thunder4 instead of /ma "Thunder IV" <t>), and it sort of streamlines everything. Of course Spellcast equips the right gear and everything (Even equips correct Obis depending on whether or not you have your weather up, and equips Uggalepih Pendant at the right times, etc), there's no reason not to use it, aside from unwillingness to learn.
It doesn't require spellcast. Is it easier? Probably. But I've been playing on xbox for a long time now without it and I play just as efficient and most of the time more so than others. You just have to pay a little more attention and have quick hands.
There's no job in this game that "requires" spellcast. I'm sure there's plenty of sch's out there who have never used spellcast..not saying it doesn't make you more efficient at your job because it does, but those without only have to work/think a bit quicker and be more selective of the gear they bring. As long as someone has enough skill to use the right gear at the right times, skill > gear, always. Mage jobs are going to be challenging regardless, if you're planning on putting effort into them.

Huh? Are you saying spellcast lets you carry more gear in your inventory? And I don't see how spellcast lets you play more efficiently if you're carrying and using the same gear for the same spells. All spellcast does is make it easier for you to do your job efficiently. If you're not playing efficiently or if you're playing less efficiently, it's a skill or laziness problem, not because you don't have spellcast.

It has nothing to do with the amount of gear you can hold in your inventory, but rather the amount of gear you can macro in. Macros themselves are limited to 6 lines without spellcast, which limits you to at most 5 gear swaps unless you're using more than one macro for whatever spell/JA you're trying to do. And this isn't even mentioning precast/midcast gear swaps or weather/day/whatever-other-condition specific gear swaps, which would be extremely limited without spellcast. If you've got 8 different useful pieces of gear for a particular set and only 5 macro lines to swap it, you do have to be more selective about your gear.

But anyways, I wasn't originally trying to argue the benefits of using windower but trying to point out that even though it does make it easier to play a job like sch more efficiently, sch doesn't necessarily require windower to be played well. I was actually agreeing with you. (:
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-01 01:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

SMN is easy to get exp if you are only worried about the achievement ranking points. But if you spam AF burn, your skill will be gimp, and it's really gay to get it up.

My 2 cents is nothing is easy or hard, just play something that you like and can master skill/gear wise. If you just want something easy to level and afk mid-pting then don't bother leveling coz no one will want to be with you on that job.

If your question was about fast invites, the replies before me explained it.
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
Server: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-01 01:10:40
Link | Quote | Reply

No job really needs windower, Avesta soloed all that ***with switching 2 macro pallets, and maybe he was on PS2 anyway. Noobs are noobs always with windower or without.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-01 01:17:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Just curious, how many full-time white mages that have their gear and merits based around healing do you typically see on your server? I'm willing to bet it's a lot less than decked out black mages.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-06-01 01:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Does`nt really take alot of gear for a WHM to be a good healer, no-one is going to resist your cures or buffs
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-01 01:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
Does`nt really take alot of gear for a WHM to be a good healer, no-one is going to resist your cures or buffs

That's not what I was talking about. I meant revolving merits around big cures like 5 MND, 8 healing magic, augmenting add-on gear for cure potency etc.

I haven't seen many people revolve their prime time gear for full time healing classes like whm.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-06-01 01:24:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Whm and rdm were both fairly easy to level due to both getting fast invites and being inexpensive to gear. Smn was a bit harder because of slow invites and a lot of soloing (I'm more of a group player lol) because they're just not wanted in normal xp parties. I'd say, if you're looking for an "easy way out", that's fine if you are but just keep in mind that to play a mage job well is gonna require more effort and knowledge about the job than if you're just BSing your way to 75.

If you're only looking to get something leveled in a hurry, I'd say either whm or rdm will work, and both are quite useful in endgame though rdm is much more wanted in merit parties. Blm is very useful in endgame but it's not easy leveling, and smn is a hit-and-miss at 75 although if you're willing to take the time to skill up and learn the job, it could probably be the fastest leveled mage job. Brd, I've always consider more of a support.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-06-01 01:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Healing skill isn`t really worth meriting since even when capped it wont do alot for your cures, MND maybe, but there`s so much mind gear you could get not really sure if it would be worth spending merits on.

And I have seen a few whm`s with the Moogle Hat with Cure potency and MND on it, but yea, you don`t see alot of them
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-01 01:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, just got reminded that healing magic has very little significance on cure numbers compared to potency, MND and VIT; not to mention it would be only good for cure 5 as 1-4 cap very easily.

Suppose I'll be doing the cliche 5 int, 8 enf 8 ele like everyone else tends to do lol.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-06-01 01:35:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Calatilla said:
Healing skill isn`t really worth meriting since even when capped it wont do alot for your cures, MND maybe, but there`s so much mind gear you could get not really sure if it would be worth spending merits on.

And I have seen a few whm`s with the Moogle Hat with Cure potency and MND on it, but yea, you don`t see alot of them

MND merits would probably be more beneficial with c5 than the lower tier cures, and like you said, there's tons of mnd gear out there so no, not really worth it to merit mnd. Especially if you've got other jobs leveled that could use the merits elsewhere.