Easiest Mage Job To Level?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Easiest Mage Job to level?
Easiest Mage Job to level?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Leviathan.Dubont
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-31 13:30:03
Link | Quote | Reply

*** this x job is a mage but y job isn't. How about we all just become gun mages?

Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-31 13:31:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
SMN will exp very fast although isn't great at 75 (but that's not what the OP asked).
Eh... Yes the the first part, ~ to the latter. It has some uses.
Quote:
SCH will get a decent invite rate until 40-50 range but then it might dry up as SCH doen't get haste, which is the main role for a mage in higher level exp parties RDM or WHM may get better invites at that point.
SCH can solo at pet camps, no?

If you really get into it you could probably just level at East Ronfaure (S) on SCH 36+, Sublimation is win and nobody has access to haste or refresh aside from PLs.
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Sylph.Kuwoobie said:

Note: The only real challenge is dealing with other black mages, and occasionally blue mages competing for camp spaces, but even this isn't much of a big deal considering there are so many choices now, more than ever.
when I was leveling blm, and another blu/blm/w.e was trying to solo in that area, I would ask them if they wanted to team up..9/10, they did and it went very smoothly. No arguing about camps, no trying to out claim and still fun to boot
This. We're all out at those camps because it's about the only way we're going to get EXP at times. Be courteous and team up if levels permit; if not, let the person who got their first have their time and try to find another camp. Teaming up is safe, fast, and often more fun.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-31 13:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Dubont said:
*** this x job is a mage but y job isn't. How about we all just become gun mages?

So you're saying OP should level BLU?
 Sylph.Jax
Server: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2010-05-31 13:32:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Red Mage was definitely the easiest to get PT invites for.
Black Mage.. I went to hell and back!
No doubt SCH was the most fun.
WHM was boring but it's my favorite!
 Leviathan.Duvessa
user: Veronika
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-31 13:34:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea... BLM solo after about level 51 gets faster exp than most normal exp parties get at those levels. And at 63-70 you can easily trump 'most' imp parties in exp per hour solo or duo on tiger pets in vunkerl. When i need to recap my exp on BLM i just find a level sync BLM or SCH and go kill those tigers for a bit. 13k/hour if you suck, 15-18k/hour if you're decent. There's not really a "good" factor here. Requires very little actual skill, just the gear to kill the tigers in 2 nukes solo or 1 nuke each duo.

BLM is one of the easiest jobs to level in the sense that while everyone else is LFP you're killing pets for 10k+ an hour at the least.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-05-31 13:35:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Bostech said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Allow me to interject for a moment. SCH is, in my opinion, the only job that requires spellcast in order to play it efficiently. I actually manually type out my spells (Using aliases of course. //thunder4 instead of /ma "Thunder IV" <t>), and it sort of streamlines everything. Of course Spellcast equips the right gear and everything (Even equips correct Obis depending on whether or not you have your weather up, and equips Uggalepih Pendant at the right times, etc), there's no reason not to use it, aside from unwillingness to learn.

It doesn't require spellcast. Is it easier? Probably. But I've been playing on xbox for a long time now without it and I play just as efficient and most of the time more so than others. You just have to pay a little more attention and have quick hands.

There's no job in this game that "requires" spellcast. I'm sure there's plenty of sch's out there who have never used spellcast..not saying it doesn't make you more efficient at your job because it does, but those without only have to work/think a bit quicker and be more selective of the gear they bring. As long as someone has enough skill to use the right gear at the right times, skill > gear, always.

Mage jobs are going to be challenging regardless, if you're planning on putting effort into them.
 Leviathan.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-31 13:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:

pic
So you're saying OP should level BLU?
OP SHOULD level blu...I would if I was patient enough ; ; blu is a sweet *** job
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-31 13:42:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
SMN will exp very fast although isn't great at 75 (but that's not what the OP asked).
Eh... Yes the the first part, ~ to the latter. It has some uses.
Quote:
SCH will get a decent invite rate until 40-50 range but then it might dry up as SCH doen't get haste, which is the main role for a mage in higher level exp parties RDM or WHM may get better invites at that point.
SCH can solo at pet camps, no?

If you really get into it you could probably just level at East Ronfaure (S) on SCH 36 , Sublimation is win and nobody has access to haste or refresh aside from PLs.

SMN has some use at 75, but isn't great.

There's ways round everything, level syncing will allow BLM to get invites to low level exp parties, so never solo. And as you say SCH can stay in the pre-haste/refresh levels.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-31 13:44:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
In terms of invites, Rdm wins.
I still don't consider Brd a mage since there's usually a healer still in the party along with a Brd.
How does the presence of another job define BRD as a mage or no? I don't think it's a mage, but that doesn't make sense.

Like I said earlier - I consider a mage a healer in exp parties.

When people say "we need a mage," they mean a healer. If they want a Brd, they say "we need a Brd."
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-31 13:45:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:

There's ways round everything, level syncing will allow BLM to get invites to low level exp parties, so never solo. And as you say SCH can stay in the pre-haste/refresh levels.

Eh, level-syncing for exp parties on BLM is kind of stupid, IMO. The only time it's worthwhile is if you have a burn party with a PL in Qufim. In that case, you can easily get 20-24k exp/hour without a ring. Aside from those (rare) qufim burn parties, 1-shotting pets solo at 51 and up for a while is way faster. Then it slows down a bit again, but once you get to tigers there aren't any other options that match exp/hour for BLM.

Chigoe burns are the obvious exception. If you have a K Club PL then you can easily get 35-40k exp/hour on BLM. But this requires hunting down a level sync target, as well. Also requires 2 accounts, 1 having a K Club, or having a friend willing to stand around swinging the club for hours for you.
 Valefor.Argettio
Server: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-31 13:45:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
I still don't consider Brd a mage since there's usually a healer still in the party along with a Brd.
How does the presence of another job define BRD as a mage or no? I don't think it's a mage, but that doesn't make sense.

When people say "we need a mage," they mean a healer. If they want a Brd, they say "we need a Brd."

So BLM isn't a mage?

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Valefor.Argettio said:

Eh, level-syncing for exp parties on BLM is kind of stupid, IMO. The only time it's worthwhile is if you have a burn party with a PL in Qufim. In that case, you can easily get 20-24k exp/hour without a ring. Aside from those (rare) qufim burn parties, 1-shotting pets solo at 51 and up for a while is way faster. Then it slows down a bit again, but once you get to tigers there aren't any other options that match exp/hour for BLM.

Chigoe burns are the obvious exception. If you have a K Club PL then you can easily get 35-40k exp/hour on BLM. But this requires hunting down a level sync target, as well.

My point was, all the down sides of the jobs (ie not liking soloing BLM or SCH not getting good invites after the 'haste phase') can be overcome with level sync or playing differently. I am not saying that its the most effective way to level, just it is possible.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-05-31 13:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

smn isn't a mage per se. it's a pet job that uses /whm. if it weren't for /whm, it wouldn't really play much like a mage at all.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-31 13:56:22
Link | Quote | Reply

BLM's most certainly do have the most high-yield exp gain methods pre-75, though. The only exception to THAT is an AB, which arguably isn't better, since you only got 1 shot at it unless you get lucky with a COR reset.

BLU's suck on chigoe burns if you want to maximize exp/hour. This is a BLM's job. Don't let those BLU's tell you otherwise.
BLM's dominate Qufim Island.
BLM's can solo 10k+/hour at 51 with relative ease.

So if you're willing to sync to 19-21 or 52-55... Or solo... Then IMO, the easiest mage to get to 75 is definitely BLM. This is coming from a person who was RDM main for over 3 years before finally getting to switch jobs. RDM isn't nearly as easy to get to 75 as people claim, and it really isn't that easy to get merit parties on either. You see, the majority of merit parties only use ONE healer, the only exception are DNC + WHM combos. So there's 1/6 slots that can go to RDM, when almost everyone has RDM at 75 these days. You face a lot of competition. You figure, anywhere from 2 to 4 of the slots are gonna goto DD jobs... WAR actually usually gets the fastest merit invites, from my experience. Not as many ppl seeking on WAR 75, and the first voke is preferred by most the population.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-31 13:59:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Even when I started over on this character back in late '08 it was damn hard to get an invite on BLM. I got two party invites on BLM after level 40: one was by a BLM75 while I was at that incredibly shitty Tonberry's Elemental camp in Pso'xja (bless them, one of the most fun parties I've ever been in) and the other was by an lsmate. Invites were really slow even before that point and I'm betting they've phased out even more since. I suppose you could make your own parties, but BLM doesn't contribute much to Qufim TP burns... enjoy your 5k/hour parties >_<; East Ronfaure is at least good EXP.
Dubont said:
OP SHOULD level blu...I would if I was patient enough ; ; blu is a sweet *** job
YUS
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-31 14:01:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I suppose you could make your own parties, but BLM doesn't contribute much to Qufim TP burns... enjoy your 5k/hour parties

Lol@TP burn in Qufim.

Manaburn or gtfo. WAY better exp.

Tp burn in the dunes if you wanna make the 15-25k/hour in a roaming, PL'ed party.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-31 14:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I suppose you could make your own parties, but BLM doesn't contribute much to Qufim TP burns... enjoy your 5k/hour parties

Lol@TP burn in Qufim.

Hao2nuke on WAR?
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-31 14:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Lol@TP burn in Qufim.

Hao2nuke on WAR?

Hao2readGood?

This is a mage thread. Not a WAR thread.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-05-31 14:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Argettio said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:

So BLM isn't a mage?

Blm gets exp party invites?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-05-31 14:08:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Lol@TP burn in Qufim.

Hao2nuke on WAR?

Hao2readGood?

This is a mage thread. Not a WAR thread.
Take your own advice. I was talking about lowbie invites on BLM. Qufim manaburns here are uncommon for various reasons, leaving only the TP burns and shitty 4-5k/hr parties 20-37. BLM manaburns, WAR TPburns. The two don't mix.
 Alexander.Loupy
Server: Alexander
user: Loupy
By Alexander.Loupy 2010-05-31 14:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

RDM is by far the easiest to lvl - u can sub nin and then solo and are pretty much indestrucible or sub whm and u can party to your hearts content.

BLM is fun, but as soon as you realise how much u can solo on RDM BLM is just something to play with when u want big explosions
 Leviathan.Solanis
user: Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-05-31 14:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Loupy said:
RDM is by far the easiest to lvl - u can sub nin and then solo and are pretty much indestrucible or sub whm and u can party to your hearts content.

BLM is fun, but as soon as you realise how much u can solo on RDM BLM is just something to play with when u want big explosions

wat.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-05-31 14:31:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Loupy said:

imo rdm/nin fail pre utsu ni, unless you solo blm style with gravity nuke bind sleep.

as far as blm go, I think I had maybe 10 parties all in all between lv 20-75 on blm, none of them gave me even close to the exp i got when i solo/duo.
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-05-31 14:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Solo -- BLM DEF
EXP PTs -- RDM or BRD(If you count that as a mage)

BRD will get more pts then RDM after 55 but RDM will always get consistent invites.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Phix
Server: Bahamut
user: phix
By Bahamut.Phix 2010-05-31 15:14:52
Link | Quote | Reply

hate to admit it but the way things are now prolly blm can burn it all the way u :(
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-31 15:21:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Take your own advice. I was talking about lowbie invites on BLM. Qufim manaburns here are uncommon for various reasons, leaving only the TP burns and shitty 4-5k/hr parties 20-37. BLM manaburns, WAR TPburns. The two don't mix.

The difference is, when I made a reference to WAR it was comparing DD job invite rate for merit parties in comparison to mage jobs, such as RDM and WHM. Yours just blatantly goes out of the way, and says qufim is for WARs, basically. Lol

Besides, adding a BLM to an otherwise "all-WAR" party would make it better. Adding 3 BLM to a 3 WAR party would make it better... Replacing all the WAR's with BLMs would make it even better. So yea.. They do have room in level sync parties in Qufim. In fact, it's one of the best EXP areas for them. All the mobs you'll be fighting are very easily nuked to death. With FoV refresh, it makes it even easier for BLM's to keep this up.

To the OP: If you do intend to level BLM, and want to use the Qufim burn methods it is typically best to have at least one or two melees. Typically, if you're going to have 2 then go with THF/WAR's for voke and alternating Sneak Attacks. They'll add more to the party's DPS than a WAR or something else will, because the mobs don't live long enough for the "DOT" of WAR and such to catch up to the spike of a SA, even without a WS. The THF's usually sub war so they can at least keep agro off the BLM's for the first round of nukes. The second round is pretty much a guaranteed dead mob, if it takes that many. You usually have a PL, otherwise this method isn't as effective. Everyone dualboxes these days, so they're easy to come by.

On a side note, my mage jobs include BRD RDM and BLM, and I've never once used spellcast. I do my jobs very well, too.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-31 15:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Duvessa said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

The difference is, when I made a reference to WAR it was comparing DD job invite rate for merit parties in comparison to mage jobs, such as RDM and WHM. Yours just blatantly goes out of the way, and says qufim is for WARs, basically. Lol

Besides, adding a BLM to an otherwise "all-WAR" party would make it better. Adding 3 BLM to a 3 WAR party would make it better... Replacing all the WAR's with BLMs would make it even better. So yea.. They do have room in level sync parties in Qufim. In fact, it's one of the best EXP areas for them. All the mobs you'll be fighting are very easily nuked to death. With FoV refresh, it makes it even easier for BLM's to keep this up.

To the OP: If you do intend to level BLM, and want to use the Qufim burn methods it is typically best to have at least one or two melees. Typically, if you're going to have 2 then go with THF/WAR's for voke and alternating Sneak Attacks. They'll add more to the party's DPS than a WAR or something else will, because the mobs don't live long enough for the "DOT" of WAR and such to catch up to the spike of a SA, even without a WS. The THF's usually sub war so they can at least keep agro off the BLM's for the first round of nukes. The second round is pretty much a guaranteed dead mob, if it takes that many. You usually have a PL, otherwise this method isn't as effective. Everyone dualboxes these days, so they're easy to come by.

On a side note, my mage jobs include BRD RDM and BLM, and I've never once used spellcast. I do my jobs very well, too.

Worms aren't easily nuked down.
Crabs and Pugs are though.
 Leviathan.Duvessa
By Leviathan.Duvessa 2010-05-31 15:27:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Worms aren't easily nuked down.
Crabs and Pugs are though.

Worms are easily nuked down. They may have more resistance to magic, but they have less HP. Thus it takes less damage from the nuke to do the same % in damage. Plus with a silence, a worm can't really hit a party of mages at all. Meaning the party won't take any damage. Adding a RDM if you intend to do worms is a good idea.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-05-31 15:30:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Duvessa said:

This^

Edit: Kinda thinking I'm the only person playing on PC that doesnt use windower lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.