BREXIT Just Happened...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » BREXIT Just happened...
BREXIT Just happened...
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 28 29 30
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-28 10:53:43
Link | Quote | Reply

This would be a good time for the royal house of Windsor to show some usefulness I think. But as far as I know they have made not a single comment about the whole thing.
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-28 10:55:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Technically they aren't officially supposed to interfere, but they might need too. things are getting out of hand.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-28 11:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

volkom said: »
Since it's not binding, does it mean it's a waste of time?
Not in a parliamentary system.

Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
For a thousand years nations have warred to take over all of Europe. Generation after generation the struggle has taken on many forms, all with the same goal. Germany figured out a way to do it without firing a single shot. Good for Great Britain for wising up.
Not quite but close.

Charlemagne dived his empire among three sons. Carloman, renamed Pippin was crowned king if Italy and inherited the east. Louis was crowned King of the Franks and inherited the west. Lothair was supposed to inherit the middle but he died WAY too young.

Until the 1800s almost all inter European wars were the successor states of Pippin and Louis fighting over Lothair's portion.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-28 12:05:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Charlemagne

So you're saying it's France's fault.

Like we couldn't have guessed!
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
Server: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-06-28 12:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
This would be a good time for the royal house of Windsor to show some usefulness I think. But as far as I know they have made not a single comment about the whole thing.
They're not supposed to voice an opinion about politics, and even more so regarding Brexit considering the Queen was 99% in favor of Brexit (according to newspapers I could read in the past months). Of course, she claimed neutrality.

The difficult thing for Britain is to pick between bending over and growing a pair. Growing a pair involves things that Britain might not own on its own and bending over involves looking even more stupid than they already do.

I was reading on the way home about Merkel saying clearly that there won't be any single market for UK nor will they have immigration help anymore. I hope for UK that they'll get help from USA soon enough because otherwise they're going to eat something we haven't seen in a long time.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Server: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-06-28 12:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't EVER intervene, and more than likely they won't.

Yeah, Chuck gets nailed to the wall for expressing his opinions, and people have accused him of overstepping his bounds in this role.

Liz didn't even want the pomp and circumstance in the wake of Diana's death and was basically prodded into it.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-28 12:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I was more thinking about the government being in shambles by now, rather than the in/out issue.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
Server: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2016-06-28 12:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Didn't the English have a referendum where they voted to join this in the first place? How is it taking your country back from something you wanted to join in the first place?
By Ramyrez 2016-06-28 12:46:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Liz didn't even want the pomp and circumstance in the wake of Diana's death and was basically prodded into it.

Well duh. How much do most former-mother-in-laws give a ***about the woman who hurt their precious little boy?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-06-28 12:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I was more thinking about the government being in shambles by now, rather than the in/out issue.

Ah. I would think it would present itself in the bland, "stiff upper lip" annual Christmas address, if anything.

Now that I'm thinking of it, the exit polls showed younger folks were overwhelmingly in favor of "stay". I'm curious as to how many who voted "stay" are Republicans (in the British sense, before anyone gets nutty).
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-06-28 12:50:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »

Well duh. How much do most former-mother-in-laws give a ***about the woman who hurt their precious little boy?

Uhhh...She and that "precious little boy" kind of have or had a strained relationship. From what I've read, she is no-nonsense and very dedicated to her role before anything or anyone else. Either way, I laughed.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-28 12:55:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhhh...She and that "precious little boy" kind of have or had a strained relationship. From what I've read, she is no-nonsense and very dedicated to her role before anything or anyone else. Either way, I laughed.

Yeah, I don't follow the royals very closely. Went for the stereotype joke.

Eh.
[+]
 Bismarck.Arcos
Server: Bismarck
user: afranko22
By Bismarck.Arcos 2016-06-28 12:57:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Didn't the English have a referendum where they voted to join this in the first place? How is it taking your country back from something you wanted to join in the first place?

I'd say that the EU isn't in the same form as when they joined. Governments and perceptions change. I thought I saw somewhere that the join vote was a close vote too.
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-28 13:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Arcos said: »

I'd say that the EU isn't in the same form as when they joined. Governments and perceptions change. I thought I saw somewhere that the join vote was a close vote too.
According to wiki in 1975 67% voted to join the EU

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-06-28 13:05:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I don't follow the royals very closely. Went for the stereotype joke.

Eh.

I'll share a secret with you. Regal history and contemporary royalty is basically my equivalent to people who obsessively follow celebrities and all that jazz.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-28 13:07:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll share a secret with you. Regal history and contemporary royalty is basically my equivalent to people who obsessively follow celebrities and all that jazz.

I've gathered, actually. :3
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-06-28 13:48:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Kara said: »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Communities_membership_referendum,_1975

And the people old enough to know what it was like before clearly were let down by what the EU brought to the table.
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dashuto
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-06-28 13:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

They are like howler monkeys. What absolute children. This is HILARIOUS.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-06-28 13:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Bahamut.Kara said: »

And the people old enough to know what it was like before clearly were let down by what the EU brought to the table.
Or would have preferred the 350Mquid spent on NHS.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-28 13:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The best part was when Juncker went "why are you even here?"

On a side note Juncker's a pretty angsty guy, everytime you hear from him he's snapping at someone.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-06-28 13:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Eradius said: »

"What I would like to see, is a grown up and sensible attitude to how we negotiate"

The irony is strong with this one. You don't usually tell the person you are trying to negotiate with to *** off before negotiating with them.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Eradius
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dashuto
By Quetzalcoatl.Eradius 2016-06-28 14:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Milamber said: »

"What I would like to see, is a grown up and sensible attitude to how we negotiate"

The irony is strong with this one. You don't usually tell the person you are trying to negotiate with to *** off before negotiating with them.

They were already told to *** off by the people. Makes sense to me, he's just begging them to not be spiteful over it. The reality is we know they will be, because they want to discourage further instances like the UK. They will definitely "cut off their noses to spite their face".

Realpolitik in EU?! Who'd have thought!
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-28 14:01:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

That's 40 years of time to forget anything worse and for nostalgia for the old days to set in.

I'm not saying that what you're saying isn't true.

I'm saying that it smacks of other similar rhetoric we've heard on our side of the pond...
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-06-28 14:27:47
Link | Quote | Reply

They were already told to *** off by the people. Makes sense to me, he's just begging them to not be spiteful over it. The reality is we know they will be, because they want to discourage further instances like the UK. They will definitely "cut off their noses to spite their face".

Realpolitik in EU?! Who'd have thought!
Begging? Really? That's what you got from it? He's a ***-a-crowing over the entire thing. I can honestly say I've never seen a bigger ***-you speech.

The math is straightforward: having harder access (increased tariffs) towards the UK as a market )60ish million) will certainly hurt. But suddenly having tariffs on a market of about 680 million hurts an order of magnitude more.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-06-28 16:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I kinda do. Depending on the severity of the '*** you' it can work pretty well.

Also, EU politics look more brutal than US politics.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-06-28 17:39:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Anna Ruthven said: »
Well, I kinda do. Depending on the severity of the '*** you' it can work pretty well.

Also, EU politics look more brutal than US politics.
It can be. Depending on what you say you can end up as not just the idiot of your nation but the idiot of the whole of Europe.
 Phoenix.Thorbean
Server: Phoenix
user: Thorbean
By Phoenix.Thorbean 2016-06-28 19:09:36
Link | Quote | Reply

We were taken into it in 1973 without a referendum. In 1975 we had a referendum about staying or leaving. What we joined was the common market, which was strictly for trade. As time went on it morphed into the EU, more and more restrictions were added and more and more powers were moved from Westminster to Brussels. The reason we voted out is because it is becoming less about trade and more about political union which we don't want.
[+]
By brexit 2016-06-28 23:19:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I hope for UK that they'll get help from USA soon enough because otherwise they're going to eat something we haven't seen in a long time.

The UK won't be getting anything from the American administration as long as Obama is still in charge.
Hillary would be the same.

Trump is the only hope. I foresee the EU and the UN coming to an end in the coming years. A new alliance put together with the US, Japan, and the UK running the show. France and few other minor league players will obviously follow suit.
[+]
 Siren.Lordgrim
Server: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-06-29 00:26:26
Link | Quote | Reply

brexit said: »
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
I hope for UK that they'll get help from USA soon enough because otherwise they're going to eat something we haven't seen in a long time.

The UK won't be getting anything from the American administration as long as Obama is still in charge.
Hillary would be the same.

Trump is the only hope. I foresee the EU and the UN coming to an end in the coming years. A new alliance put together with the US, Japan, and the UK running the show. France and few other minor league players will obviously follow suit.

Well said and I will assist in that agenda I am proud of the British and there decision to secure there culture and national identity and I would trade with them.

Hell now Britain tourism looks promising and likewise for them to the US.

I agree with you the Obama administration will not support Britain nor will Clinton as both are supreme globalist who worship the United Nations and European Union.
By Odinz 2016-06-29 00:44:43
Link | Quote | Reply

The worst thing to come out of the Brexit has to be the recent spike in hate speech and sentiment in the UK.

It makes very disgusted to watch people shout "we voted leave, now gtfo of our country" to fellow nationals who might have a different skin complexion. This is racism of the worst kind and the brexit seems to have empowered and emboldened these bigots into coming out from under their rocks.

Last year there was a good report by Channel 4 about a woman who went off on a rabid raging racist rant towards everyone on the bus. An Asian, a central asian, a east european and someone of darker complexion. She sounded off on each one of them, one by one by some of the most hate-filled and ignorant insults. That channel 4 anchor, forgot his name, chased her down and got her on air. He let her know on air that she was only a 3rd generation Brit, and that her grandparents on both sides of the family were immigrants to Yorkshire. He then told her she had 12% african descent.

Her head looked like it was going to explode. "I'm not fukun african you dun no whu ur talken bout ya silly div"
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 28 29 30