BREXIT Just Happened...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » BREXIT Just happened...
BREXIT Just happened...
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-30 09:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Conflating patriotism with nationalism means you're miles away from even understanding the problem.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-30 09:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Boris Johnson reveals he will NOT stand for Tory leadership leaving party stunned - live updates
The Mirror. )I know, its the Mirror, but no other Brit source was offering live updates. Or more than a meaningful paragraph surrounded by fluff.)
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Server: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 09:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Conflating patriotism with nationalism means you're miles away from even understanding the problem.
Have you ever looked up nationalism?

na·tion·al·ism
ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun
noun: nationalism

-patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts.
-an extreme form of this, especially marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries.
plural noun: nationalisms
-advocacy of political independence for a particular country.

It is very similar to patriotism. There is very little difference. Where did you learn it was a 4 letter word?
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 09:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

That or we're not establishing what words mean to everyone before using them, which seems more likely here.

Or, hey, I don't know. Maybe Nausi's a closet fan of militant nationalism. But even I don't suspect that of him when it comes down to it. That kind of thing would take a man away from his leisurely pursuits of beer brewing and garden tending.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 09:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
It is very similar to patriotism. There is very little difference. Where did you learn it was a 4 letter word?

Because in her experience this:

-an extreme form of this, especially marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries.

Is overwhelmingly the most common example.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-30 09:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

na·tion·al·ism
ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun

So, when are you going to take up arms and join those self declared "patriots" the Bundy boys?

"Words mean what we want them to mean."
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-30 09:44:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Where did you learn it was a 4 letter word?
I asked you politely earlier what this means and you didn't answer so why should I give you a reply?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 09:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I asked you politely earlier what this means and you didn't answer so why should I give you a reply?

You did. I'm sorry.

In the US "a four letter word" is synonymous with a curse/swear word. Many of the more common swear/curse words are 4 letters. Piss *** *** *** etc.

So when I call nationalism a four letter word I mean generally a bad thing.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-06-30 09:55:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramyrez said: »
But doing so to the point where you hate others is a terrible thing. And that's the thing about it.

This all depends on PoV. It's no longer about what one actually says or does but about what a leftist can contort it into looking like.

Lets take a US example, only because I'm far more familiar with it then the UK's situation. A person who entered into the USA without going through immigration procedures has broken a federal law. This makes every single illegal person a criminal. Yet if I were to make the statement "illegal immigrants are criminals", you and every other leftist would lose your collective ***accusing me of being a "privileged white male racist shitlord". Stating the truth is now considered "hate speech" if that truth doesn't fit the desired narrative of a political entity.

When you have that level of thought police happening, it creates a gigantic amount of repressed backlash like a powder keg. All it takes is an appropriate spark and that blows up into all sorts of negative stuff that you are labeling "nationalism". The current amount of patriotism is a direct result of the leftists across the world trying to suppress it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 10:05:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
But doing so to the point where you hate others is a terrible thing. And that's the thing about it.

This all depends on PoV. It's no longer about what one actually says or does but about what a leftist can contort it into looking like.

Lets take a US example, only because I'm far more familiar with it then the UK's situation. A person who entered into the USA without going through immigration procedures has broken a federal law. This makes every single illegal person a criminal. Yet if I were to make the statement "illegal immigrants are criminals", you and every other leftist would lose your collective ***accusing me of being a "privileged white male racist shitlord". Stating the truth is now considered "hate speech" if that truth doesn't fit the desired narrative of a political entity.

When you have that level of thought police happening, it creates a gigantic amount of repressed backlash like a powder keg. All it takes is an appropriate spark and that blows up into all sorts of negative stuff that you are labeling "nationalism". The current amount of patriotism is a direct result of the leftists across the world trying to suppress it.

Words no longer mean what they actually mean, only what someone feels they mean.

It is very concerning.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 10:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
you and every other leftist would lose your collective ***accusing me of being a "privileged white male racist shitlord". Stating the truth is now considered "hate speech" if that truth doesn't fit the desired narrative of a political entity.

I personally would not. Because they have broken a law. Just not one I particularly care to get worked up about because it's not murder or rape, or even theft. It's not something that's clearly wrong and causing others to suffer. People act like it is, but it's not.

People not using turn signals *** up people's day in this country more than illegal immigrants do.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 10:07:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Words no longer mean what they actually mean, only what someone feels they mean.

Strictly speaking, this has always been the case.

If it weren't, "***" wouldn't be a slur.

That's how the vernacular works.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 10:10:30
Link | Quote | Reply

People not using turn signals *** up people's day in this country more than illegal immigrants do.
How can you possibly believe this?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Server: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-06-30 10:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

na·tion·al·ism
ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun

Academically speaking, when people use the phrase Nationalism they're using the middle definition. Essentially a fanaticism that leads to wars.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 10:15:23
Link | Quote | Reply

How can you possibly believe this?

I'm being slightly facetious, but it is a real problem.

Turn signal neglect a real danger, study shows

Do immigrants cause significant harm to the lives of at least 2 million people (well, at least 4 million, really, assuming two vehicles per accident and only drivers.)?

(I don't know the answer to the question. The point is I'd like people to consider the perspective of things.)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-30 10:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You did. I'm sorry.

In the US "a four letter word" is synonymous with a curse/swear word. Many of the more common swear/curse words are 4 letters. Piss *** *** *** etc.

So when I call nationalism a four letter word I mean generally a bad thing.
When in these topics about Europe we complain about nationalists we're talking about something very specific: right wing extremists. These parties only hide behind the pretense of national pride but have pretty much fascist stances that they sell through populism(I think everyone should read more about Mussolini who is the textbook of this behaviour). They want geopolitical division, isolationism, oppression, "national purity". We know these people far too well here, they're *** dangerous.

Lega, FN, AFD, PVV, FPO, SD, different country different name, but same ***. We don't have a problem with normal conservative parties, but with these alone.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 10:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

na·tion·al·ism
ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun

Academically speaking, when people use the phrase Nationalism they're using the middle definition. Essentially a fanaticism that leads to wars.
You're not reading closely. What you think of as nationalism, is by that definition extreme nationalism.

You're conflating the two and that is in error. One can favor their own nation without thinking other nations are the scum of the earth.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 10:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

na·tion·al·ism
ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun

You're not reading closely. What you think of as nationalism, is by that definition extreme nationalism.

You're conflating the two and that is in error. One can favor their own nation without thinking other nations are the scum of the earth.

I'd very much like you to consider the way you use words such as "feminist," "liberal," and "left-wing," then.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 10:39:28
Link | Quote | Reply

na·tion·al·ism
ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun

I'd very much like you to consider the way you use words such as "feminist," "liberal," and "left-wing," then.
Well, I would tip my hat to that point if there were such things as moderate liberals or feminists.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 10:40:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I would tip my hat to that point if there were such things as moderate liberals or feminists.

*sigh*

Not sure if trolling or really that convinced of your own righteousness.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 10:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh*

it's in italics, and therefore sarcasm
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-30 10:42:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Italians are known for their humour!
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2016-06-30 10:42:32
Link | Quote | Reply

But not really in this case since my joke was bad.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-06-30 10:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh*

You know ramy, we may be capable of actual conversation when we're not overstimulated lol.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 11:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

*sigh*

You know ramy, we may be capable of actual conversation when we're not overstimulated lol.

Probably.
By fonewear 2016-06-30 11:07:53
Link | Quote | Reply

na·tion·al·ism
ˈnaSH(ə)nəˌlizəm/
noun

FFXIAH speaking potato !
 Bahamut.Kara
Server: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2016-06-30 12:01:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
Boris Johnson reveals he will NOT stand for Tory leadership leaving party stunned - live updates
The Mirror. )I know, its the Mirror, but no other Brit source was offering live updates. Or more than a meaningful paragraph surrounded by fluff.)
The Guardian and bbc have been doing live updates since the vote.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
Server: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-06-30 12:10:36
Link | Quote | Reply

you forgot ***!

that's a fun one.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-30 12:12:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Mosin said: »

you forgot ***!

that's a fun one.

Oh yes. There's a certain percentage of the population that just loses their collective mind if you use that one.

I try to use it sparingly so that when I do, it really pisses them off because they don't see it coming.
By Ruaumoko 2016-06-30 23:05:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Back on topic.

Brexit: EU referendum was a 'draw' and UK exit will not happen, LSE [London School of Economics] professor says.

I'm voted Leave on political reasons but I have to concede that Boris Johnson stepping aside has raised the 'Game Over' screen on the campaign. Michael Gove will not win the nomination, neither will Stephen Crabb but Theresa May will. Theresa May is an avid supporter of the Remain camp and will absolutely refuse to trigger Article 50. She will put it to a parliamentary vote where it will be crushed. There will be rioting in the streets and it will be *** messy. The best possible outcome is that this event forces the EU's hand and brings about political devolution while maintaining the single market.

Boris Johnson will go down in history as the person who threw his country on the bonfire in a gamble-bid for the highest office. I compare him below.

In the 'Sharpe' stories by Bernard Cromwell there is a detestable character called Sir Henry Simmerson. Simmerson is a coffee-house-toff who is portrayed as a stereotypical snobbish, petty and tyrannical English aristocrat. He is narrow-minded, inept and cowardly; while he is not presented as a clever man, he does display a certain cunning and deviousness.

In the episode "Sharpe's Eagle" he leads a demoralized unit to a choke point on a bridge, fully and unjustly confident in himself. However, when he sees the size and firepower of the incoming French army he destroys the bridge in a fit of cowardice and flees, leaving his countrymen to face the consequences cut-off from all support while saving his own skin.

That's basically Boris Johnson.
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30