By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-07-23 18:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If this is your first time reading this thread, please refer to the OP~
 Lakshmi.Evviva
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-07-25 02:35:11
Link | Quote | Reply

To everyone who has read my Ballista related threads and posts, I sincerely thank you; the continued support has given me the motivation to continue for this long :)

There is a lot of love for this event, and my only wish is for the rest of the FFXI community to take over where the devs failed, and make this a player run event.
 Fenrir.Bokey
Server: Fenrir
user: Bokey
By Fenrir.Bokey 2012-07-25 03:07:46
Link | Quote | Reply

A Love for Ballista is like a Love for Brenner. It's not going anywhere.
 Lakshmi.Evviva
By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-08-03 17:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Welcome to Ballista Revolution

—Written by Teishi

It has come to our attention that some players may view this website or our videos but never come forward and present themselves. Even several of our current members admit that they were shy and hesitant before introducing themselves to us. As the group leader, I really want to make it clear that we want you to come play Ballista! Even if you’ve never played a single match or don’t have any level 60 gear, it doesn’t matter. Take that first step, and I guarantee you’ll enjoy what we have to offer.

P.S. To those who may have quit FFXI or have lost interest in the grind, consider trying Ballista. With us, Ballista is a completely separate game from FFXI. The mechanics and strategies are totally different. You can have a fresh start in a whole ‘new game’, and your hard earned gil and job levels give you a nice head start!

OP Updated
 Lakshmi.Evviva
By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-08-09 23:55:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Strategy 009: Generalized Quarry Theory
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [43 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-21 12:57:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that it has been a while, but I got a new video up. This time, I've added a brief analysis of what's going on during various time stamps, and hopefully, this will give more casual players some insight of what's occuring during the match.

I suggest viewing the video from YouTube for ease of timestamp navigation.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-09-21 14:45:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The only reward I need are the tears of my enemy.

Good video.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-24 15:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I suggest viewing the video from YouTube for ease of timestamp navigation.

Part 2 of the 4(we played 5, but I was able to record only 4) games I recorded, time-stamp analysis included.

By Demule 2012-09-24 15:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Evviva said: »
hopefully, this will give more casual players some insight of what's occuring during the match.

Wait so casual players don't know what ballista is? Great way to start our by talking down to your audience.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-24 15:50:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Demule said: »
hopefully, this will give more casual players some insight of what's occuring during the match.

Wait so casual players don't know what ballista is? Great way to start our by talking down to your audience.

Interesting comment.

If you'd prefer, I can rephrase that to include -all- players.

In terms of being 'logged on' my LS mates and I are extremely casual players. We do, however, consider ourselves Ballista enthusiasts, as we have for a very long time. Thus, my definition of "Casual Players" refers to Ballista players that prefer to participate on a not so competitive level and aren't as infused into the game as we might be.

In our experience, a large percentile of players "don't know what Ballista is", be they casual or hardcore.

Alternatively, my analysis has a purpose of sharing information, and teaching something new. Casual players fall into the fray of not having enough time to research, my analysis is an attempt at making this painless and hopefully entertaining.

I apologize if this offended you, we are only accustomed to FFXI players not caring as much as we do, coincidentally falling into the 'don't care enough to know' category.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-24 16:49:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Courtesy of Zirk.
FFXI Ballista 5v5 NA vs JP #1 09-22-2012 Carbuncle

Fenrir.Reece
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2012-09-24 18:25:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to hop on and join you guys sometime on the test server, fenrir atm.

I can also livestream if needed for people wanting to watch.
Got a pretty immense upload speed, 10MB+ Usually between 12-16
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
Server: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-09-24 20:02:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Demule said: »

If that's all it takes to scare you off, good riddance.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-25 09:58:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Reece said: »
I'd like to hop on and join you guys sometime on the test server, fenrir atm.

I can also livestream if needed for people wanting to watch.
Got a pretty immense upload speed, 10MB+ Usually between 12-16

Sounds good. I think starting an official match would be the way to go at first, but I feel setting a date in advance is necessary.. something like a week or two in advance, landing on a weekend.

We've had numerous ideas for the test server, such as server-wide tournaments, every level cap official match, 1v1 show downs etc. However, to make this happen we need as much participation as possible.

I encourage anyone interested in test server Ballista to drop a line, thanks~
 Lakshmi.Stevehoe
user: Stevehoe
By Lakshmi.Stevehoe 2012-09-25 11:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I just made a decent size post that didn't send apparently, so I'm going to try to do the same thing with far less words, but getting the same out of information back hopefully.

Can you add friends on the test server and see them online on another server, making it to where you can message cross server? Could that be a means of notifying people of ballista other than this thread?

How do you go about getting your 60 cap gear? To my knowledge, you have to get your gear from a storage slip/moogle that doesn't give that option. I'm sure I'm under educated on that though, and there actually is an extremely obvious/easy way of going about that.

Can you make relics/empyreans/mythics? I could see this being douche worthy, but if everyone as a mean of doing so, I don't see why it would be a big deal for uncaps.

At any rate, alot of questions. Sorry in advance! (However, extremely interested!)
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-25 12:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Stevehoe said: »
Can you add friends on the test server and see them online on another server, making it to where you can message cross server? Could that be a means of notifying people of ballista other than this thread? )

Unfortunately not, while you're logged on to the test server, you're unable to view your friend list. The only other option I can recommend is, searching for me via PoL and adding me as a friend that way.

Can you make relics/empyreans/mythics? I could see this being douche worthy, but if everyone as a mean of doing so, I don't see why it would be a big deal for uncaps.

Yes, you can make any relic/empyrean/mythic.. you can even make them glow!
I'll participate in a few 99 matches, but I largely prefer 60 cap :)

How do you go about getting your 60 cap gear? To my knowledge, you have to get your gear from a storage slip/moogle that doesn't give that option. I'm sure I'm under educated on that though, and there actually is an extremely obvious/easy way of going about that.

60 cap equipment is very rare, if you want the really good stuff, you're going to have to pay. Either with time, or gil.

On the test server, you have access to every magian trial item and storage slip.

I highly suggest reading our LVL60 Sync compendium for reference.

This would be my current DRG/SAM 60 Cap Ballista set.

Every item that can be augmented, is:
Dark Mezraq+1: AGI+1 INT+1
Chivalrous Chain: Evasion +3
Nuevo Coselete: Attack/Evasion
Pallas's Bracelets: DEX+3
Phalanx ring: STR+2
Phalanx ring: STR+2 VIT+1
Behemoth mantle+1: DEF+2
Blitzer Poleyn: Attack/Evasion

A good example of 60 Cap Ballista DRG/SAM equipment using test server resources exclusively, would look something like..

A set combining minimal user effort, gil -and- test server resources would look something like..

The test server also offers infinite merits, and 60 cap Ballista players have adopted a standard formula:

HP 7
MP 7
Cassie earring and intruder earring are standard earrings used for any dd, thus the mp conversion justifies the MP merits.

STR7
VIT7
AGI7
DEX3
STR and VIT 7 are a constant, AGI and DEX can be switched around pending your preference, but this is the ideal distribution for a versatile DD in 60 cap Ballista.

Polearm 7
Evasion 4
For this particular case, DRG/SAM, this is all you would really need, if you want to venture into other jobs, 7 is always the magic number.

Enhancing 7
Enfeebling 7
Healing 7
Dark 3
This is my current setup for magic skill merits.

Critical hit rate 5
Enemy critical hit rate 5
If you were primarily playing a mage character, you can switch critical hit rate for spell interruption down.

Job specific merits do not sync.

It should be noted:

Our community is extremely dedicated, and thus, we focus our efforts on 60 cap Ballista only. The item sets and merits that I listed might seem daunting to many, but please understand; we don't actually play FFXI anymore..(ex; when an update hits, we comb through items that might be a better sync than what we currently have available) we are full on ballista players. Our main focus is competitive Diorama play with extreme Japanese players. This isn't to say that we don't play other jobs, or official matches!

I hope this helps.

There is a huge amount of information that we can share, if you need to know anything else, just ask :)
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-25 13:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI Ballista 5v5 NA vs JP #2, #3 & #4 09-22-2012 Carbuncle
Courtesy of Zirk~
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-09-28 13:59:52
Link | Quote | Reply

For anyone interested in watching our weekly na vs jp live, please drop a line and I will PM you the details.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-15 14:15:33
Link | Quote | Reply

A few videos courtesy of Saraphy/Berserkr.

For anyone viewing this thread for the first time, please refer to the OP, thanks!
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-15 15:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

OP Updated, thanks for reading!
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-16 16:00:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Courtesy of Predjent