Ballista Royale!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Ballista Royale!
Ballista Royale!
 Lakshmi.Evviva
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-03-16 01:59:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ballista Royale!

From what I've noticed, many people enjoy tournaments much like the Ballista Royale event in 2005. Players from different servers were able to play against each other in this unique event through the carbon copying of their characters to a test server. Unfortunately, despite its success, the Royale was only a one-time event, as many may already know. Although that SE may not host future Ballista Royale tournaments, the current test server, Undine, could be an excellent opportunity to host our own.

Why wait for SE to host another Royale when we could do it ourselves? For those who have interest in participating in a Ballista tournament on Undine, please read on.

Although the specific rules from Royale include open items usage and subjob restrictions, it was apparent that a handful of people were against such regulations. The most common of disputes was that the games evolved into what some people called "gil wars" in which outside items (medicine) were spammed, thus nullifying much of the "skill" aspect that most people advocate. Due to prior experiences, some changes to the rules will be made in order to amend previous flaws and avoid similar mishaps. Please keep in mind that this will be of a team environment much like the original Royale.

The rules of the game are of the following:

- The level cap is 60
- Subjobs are allowed
- Matches are 20 minutes in length - all or nothing
- Outside items are NOT allowed
- No duplicate main jobs
- Minimum amount of members per team is 3
- Maximum amount of members per team is 6
- A called game difference of 20 petras will be applied
- Best of 3 series will be applied to determine the winner

Assemble your teams and contact Deshio/Vyii or myself. or post in this thread.

This is an open invitation to all the ballistars out there!
All matches will be recorded from multiple sources, as well as a possible live feed.

All we have is an idea, the means to make this event happen are in the players hands.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Shred
Server: Ragnarok
user: Konda
By Ragnarok.Shred 2012-03-16 12:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Most interested, butttt I doubt I'd be able to get more than one other person along :/
 Bismarck.Beniyahou
Server: Bismarck
user: Beniyahou
By Bismarck.Beniyahou 2012-03-16 12:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Do want, although not sure how much 60 cap gear I have.
 Ragnarok.Shred
By Ragnarok.Shred 2012-03-16 12:47:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Any chance of just a big match w/ everyone who shows up?
 Ramuh.Yarly
Server: Ramuh
user: nignog
By Ramuh.Yarly 2012-03-16 12:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I support this idea and would spectate.
 Lakshmi.Stfutaru
user: kivyin
By Lakshmi.Stfutaru 2012-03-16 13:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I can SCH? :D
 Lakshmi.Evviva
By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-03-16 14:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Shred said: »
Most interested, butttt I doubt I'd be able to get more than one other person along :/
We definitely foresaw this issue, but a team doesn't have to be solely server oriented. Assembling a team with people who are interested and already situated on Undine might be the way to go~

Don't hesitate to use this thread to look for team members.

Bismarck.Beniyahou said: »
Do want, although not sure how much 60 cap gear I have.
http://vyiv.wordpress.com/strategy/lv60-sync/

http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Lakshmi/Evviva#item-sets

Any chance of just a big match w/ everyone who shows up?
We tried to push for official matches on Undine primarily in http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/28447/ballista-test-server/ this thread, but it got very tedious updating the thread with official match times to not get a very good turnout.

Your idea is solid, and I think it could work... but in order to make this event equable, we're trying to pose certain rules to maintain integrity.

Ramuh.Yarly said: »
I support this idea and would spectate.

Cheers~ =)

Lakshmi.Stfutaru said: »
I can SCH? :D
Hey we just leveled your WHM... back to work!
 Ragnarok.Shred
By Ragnarok.Shred 2012-03-16 14:40:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Good info on the level sync thing. I was always curious.

Quote:
We tried to push for official matches on Undine primarily in http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/28447/ballista-test-server/ this thread, but it got very tedious updating the thread with official match times to not get a very good turnout.

Your idea is solid, and I think it could work... but in order to make this event equable, we're trying to pose certain rules to maintain integrity.

I didn't see that thread, but Surely a diorama would be better.. can plan a time ahead, and have a 1hr match? Granted, it'd be tedious and not sure if team balance would work very well (not that it seemed to work particularly well in official matches)...

I remember there being a website I used to use which had all the ballista times on, that'd be a good resource for making test server official games.
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-03-16 15:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be more interested in uncapped personally.
 Lakshmi.Evviva
By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-03-16 18:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't see that thread, but Surely a diorama would be better.. can plan a time ahead, and have a 1hr match? Granted, it'd be tedious and not sure if team balance would work very well (not that it seemed to work particularly well in official matches)...
It's really difficult to promote ballista in general, especially on a forum such as this where new threads pop up every 10 minutes.

Official matches would be easier to set up I agree, but this thread in particular is not for that.
We had minor success playing a 60 cap official match on Undine (5v5) - it was monumental and exciting.. but in retrospect it was nothing novel for us since we already do this daily: http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/27964/was-ballista-your-favorite-thing-to-do-in-ffxi/

http://vanatime.de.vu/ (This is what I use for official matches)

Bahamut.Fistandantilus said: »
Would be more interested in uncapped personally.
To be expected, but this thread is about 60 cap ballista. I encourage you to make a separate thread for uncap~
 Lakshmi.Evviva
By Lakshmi.Evviva 2012-03-18 12:29:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Bump.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [205 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Evviva
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-09 19:42:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Shameless, glorious, necrobump! (Read the OP please).
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-09 20:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

An example of a formed team would look something like..

Team Exodia - 5 Players
Player1 - WHM/SCH
Player2 - RDM/BLM
Player3 - WAR/SAM
Player4 - RNG/SAM
Player5 - SAM/WAR

In the case of the opposing team having 3 players for example, Team Exodia will need to choose 3 members to participate.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-09 20:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

As mentioned in the OP, please form your teams and 'register' them in this thread, or send a PM to myself/deshi/vyii/zirk. Thanks!

Ladders will be made once teams are registered, I will leave this open for roughly a month. (practice sessions on Undine are encouraged!)