Cannonball damage
First Page 2
 Pandemonium.Sabishii
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Sabishii
By Pandemonium.Sabishii 2010-03-20 19:35:06
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the most you've ever done on a cannonball as /THF?

That was with azure lore, I was hoping it'd be a killshot, but it was pretty close. It's an old picture but a 2365 cannonball is insane lol
 Sylph.Sindri
Server: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-20 19:36:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Sabishii said:
What's the most you've ever done on a cannonball as /THF?

That was with azure lore, I was hoping it'd be a killshot, but it was pretty close. It's an old picture but a 2365 cannonball is insane lol

Well Azure Lore supposedly doesn't affect damage, but I got 1750 once with a 3500 Light to follow :P
 Pandemonium.Sabishii
By Pandemonium.Sabishii 2010-03-20 19:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

It does affect damage. It affects the damage of certain spells (damage modified by TP) particularly with Chain affinity. According to wiki, when used with chain affinity, azure lore gives you a 350% TP bonus which isn't possible normally. It's basically good for one really big shot.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-20 19:48:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, yeah sorry I knew that but I didn't see you use Chain Affinity I only looked at the arrow :P I kind of cheated with mine though, it was on a Goldfish in sea. My record is actually quite low, 1100 on Proto-Omega
By semimmortal 2010-03-20 19:51:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
Well Azure Lore supposedly doesn't affect damage
As Sabishii posted above including an increase in the multiplier too...
/em prays that was a very bad joke
 Fenrir.Shambo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-03-20 19:52:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I never used Azure lore before and i lvl'd blue mage to 75 3 times
[+]
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-20 19:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

semimmortal said:
Sylph.Sindri said:
Well Azure Lore supposedly doesn't affect damage
As Sabishii posted above including an increase in the multiplier too...
/em prays that was a very bad joke

No, I just simply didn't notice the Chain Affinity, epic fail on my part
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-20 21:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a somewhat decent cannonball set, but I can never be bothered to get double minne, eat a taco and all that jazz just for one shot. As such my record is somewhere around 2k from one of the only times I have bothered.

I prefer Vertical Cleave 99% of the time, I find it to be more consistent and less hassle.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Sabishii
By Pandemonium.Sabishii 2010-03-20 21:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer vertical cleave as /NIN, but as /THF, I want to get the hell out of the range of something like a sky god (seiryu, byakko, etc.) with AoE paralyze or some ***like that. BLU/THF with cannonball is actually pretty damn good consistent damage, at least in my sky shell, where we don't have the power to melee burn kirin in 10 seconds. I've been running parses, and my damage is usually around the top few percent compared to all the melee we've got on gods. Kiting stuff is great for cannonball. If you kite kirin (dunno how many people still do that), you'll have troubles doing Vertical Cleave unless it stops for a spell. Also food affects cannonball more than vertical cleave, since vertical cleave is only affected by STR, while cannonball is affected by STR, VIT, AND DEF. So you can get more out of food from a taco to boost damage a lot. Just can't get DEF bard songs unfortunately.
 Ragnarok.Spicer
Server: Ragnarok
user: spicer
By Ragnarok.Spicer 2010-03-20 21:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

What was your set up btw on /thf?

and i thought armed gears doesn't take physical damage very well.
 Hades.Excelior
Server: Hades
user: Excelior
By Hades.Excelior 2010-03-20 21:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I've seen a lot bigger ones on cerb from other people D:
[+]
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-20 22:00:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Nice job btw on your Raubahn fight Sabishii :P I had to do that as 70 BLU went 1/2 (first time it was 5am xD)

Lol'd at darkness 65dmg
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-20 22:04:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol unless kirin stops for spells...
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2010-03-20 22:53:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Not even going to go into weak mobs but got a few 3k+'s on harder things. Kirin, Dark Ixion, Cerb, Khimaira to name a few. I quit FFXI before a lot of the recent extra stat buffs you can add to items came out and I was a taru :-P But once I get back from my year in the middle east, I'll probably start playing again knowing this crack ......

3011 on Dark Ixion at Xlight's expense (priceless) -- http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=19125

3286 was my highest on Dark Ixion before I quit -- http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=15219

Build up at least 1 TP before starting, CA seemed to make me miss if I had 0 TP more often than it hit.

SA > wait 50 seconds until SA timer was almost ready again > CA > Azure Lore > (TA if Xlight is in front of you) > Cannonball > SA again > Vertical Cleave. That would almost always do 3k to 4.5k combined damage on any harder NM. But, you'll probably die too like I did most the time so do it in the last 4-5%.

Pandemonium.Sabishii
By Pandemonium.Sabishii 2010-03-21 00:04:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Spicer said:
What was your set up btw on /thf?

and i thought armed gears doesn't take physical damage very well.

He's resistant, but his DEF goes down as he loses HP. When he loses a gear, he'll drop down on defense. When he gets down to one gear, he's vulnerable. That's when I hit him with a cannonball. I forget exactly what my set up was, but it's similar to what I have now, except no mirage head, may not have had enkidu legs at the time, might have been using AF, and probably had heroic boots at the time. It's been awhile since that picture was old. I've got some better gear now, so if I tried pulling that cannonball off again, I'd have done more damage most likely lol
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-03-21 00:05:21
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Seraph.Iria
Server: Seraph
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-03-21 21:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Most I've done was on an Inhumer for over 5000 damage, but I think I could break 7000~8000 if I tried the same setup on the Moogle Henchmen in Kupo D'etat BC. For regular damage taken mobs, my best was 2112 on Odin.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-21 21:53:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I think that's what I'm currently using. Would probably use Kubira beads or that necklace from Boroka if I have songs on, other than that I dunno wtf I'm doing wrong, but my cannonball has never been anything special, so I don't bother.
 Seraph.Ashjin
user: Ashjin
By Seraph.Ashjin 2010-03-22 00:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

i always thought i had some kinda problem with cannonball as i always heard the figures it does are rediculous.
My set is pretty much identicle to blazza's (bar the relic head i use expansion head with str+4 on top of its good defence) and my cannonballs are pretty crappy, i also find vertical cleave soo much better, around 2.4k+ with CA and 200+ tp.
What am I missing? :'(
 Seraph.Iria
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-03-22 00:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

The only major difference I have from the set Blazza has is I use sword/shield (Jagdplaute+1 and Genbu's, I'm too lazy for Acheron+1). I did try the Brave Grip with my Anwig Salade (STR+4 DEX+4 WSacc+15 Critdmg+2%) and Vulcan Staff but I didn't see it do much better (on weaker mobs). I feel defense works like attack, and on high defense targets the higher "attack" will show more. On lower defense targets, I think the Staff setup is fine. Also, I use Tavnazian Taco usually for this (only thing slightly better is Rabbit Pie). And when BRD is available ask for 1 Minne and 1 STR Etude (works best for me from what I've tried).

Edit: one major thing that I'm still after is the Shadow Mantle. On darksday, this mantle is godly.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-22 01:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Edit: First section deleted because of poster idiocy

Pulled 1872 on Armed Gears with this today. Was doing around 400 in first form with some pretty big variation.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-22 01:11:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ashjin said:
i always thought i had some kinda problem with cannonball as i always heard the figures it does are rediculous.
My set is pretty much identicle to blazza's (bar the relic head i use expansion head with str 4 on top of its good defence) and my cannonballs are pretty crappy, i also find vertical cleave soo much better, around 2.4k with CA and 200 tp.
What am I missing? :'(

The fact that if you have 200 TP your either doing it wrong and your not /THF or your just doing it wrong. STR+ works best because of fSTR and VIT works second best because of the Defense boost it basically MODs it twice. Gearing for straight defense is highly unadvised.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-03-22 01:14:29
Link | Quote | Reply

You've never melee'd for TP/asked for a Shikikoyo for an epeen shot? It's not something I'd normally do if /THF given the whole point is that it's a mob where BLU melee isn't viable, but if you're epeening who cares?
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-22 01:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
You've never melee'd for TP/asked for a Shikikoyo for an epeen shot? It's not something I'd normally do if /THF given the whole point is that it's a mob where BLU melee isn't viable, but if you're epeening who cares?

A: Define E-Peening
B: I don't normally get put in the Samurai party and I prefer not to tango with mobs while I'm busy because it slows overall damage even if your spike will be greater. With my build every spell is set for the stat boost, I can't solo anything and it's more efficient for the fight to leave the mobs in the area for SAM to TP on (ie; Qiqirn at Armed Gears) since there generally aren't alot of mobs that dont die so quick that theyre worth TPing off of around
 Seraph.Ashjin
user: Ashjin
By Seraph.Ashjin 2010-03-22 08:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeh i'm just saying that my cannonball figures no matter what the situation is never comes close to my vertical cleave.
Typically i'll always Expiacion > Vertical Cleave.
I appreciate Cannonballs viability on non tp-able mobs
but on something i can tp having to cast cocoon first blah blah i'd much rather use Vertical Cleave.
I literally jst wonder, should cannonball be doing more then Vertical Cleave.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-22 09:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Ashjin said:
Yeh i'm just saying that my cannonball figures no matter what the situation is never comes close to my vertical cleave.
Typically i'll always Expiacion > Vertical Cleave.
I appreciate Cannonballs viability on non tp-able mobs
but on something i can tp having to cast cocoon first blah blah i'd much rather use Vertical Cleave.
I literally jst wonder, should cannonball be doing more then Vertical Cleave.

Simple answer no. However when you factor in the damage you could be dealing when your eating dirt from getting in that close on a mob, yes. Vertical Cleave is easier to do well with because it has only a single mod and I'm not saying that's bad I never set Cannonball except for Atonement DD fights (fights where everyone either runs in to do their stuff or DDs from afar) But it's the most viable and consistent means of damage on stuff like HNMs from a BLU, and honestly in general. You saw the 3k Cannonball on Dark Ixion, :P Too bad we never get ballad -.-
 Siren.Delirium
Server: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2010-03-23 12:38:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Sindri said:
Edit: First section deleted because of poster idiocy Pulled 1872 on Armed Gears with this today. Was doing around 400 in first form with some pretty big variation.

Wing Sword(+1) would be so much better for your Cannonball build
 Phoenix.Zeotah
Server: Phoenix
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-03-27 17:12:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Dea and troll simply refuse to put out. Gets the job done for me. I've tried staff+brave, but never seemed to get consistent numbers. Gets the job done though. My highest cannonball was around 1989 on Byakko, but that was last February and I didn't have most of that stuff. Yeah, ditto on not being within farting distance of Byakko and Seiryu. So many times have I been cockblocked by that paralysis ***.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-03-29 19:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Delirium said:
Sylph.Sindri said:
Edit: First section deleted because of poster idiocy Pulled 1872 on Armed Gears with this today. Was doing around 400 in first form with some pretty big variation.

Wing Sword( 1) would be so much better for your Cannonball build

I'm very aware, but there haven't been any for sale for a reasonable price in a while, last one I tried to buy was more than 1.2m which is 300k over last sale.

(+1) of course. and the NQ just isnt worth it to me, the STR stacked will mke the difference hardly noticeable
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-04-05 20:30:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Rather loving this spell. I can't wait to build a set around it. First ever cannonball at 70 for 1069, then 1461 on my second! Though I was /nin.
First Page 2