2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » RSE Frustration
RSE Frustration
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-17 09:58:57
Link | Quote | Reply

On Friday night, I set out to get at least one piece of my RSE from Gusgen Mines. So, I prepped it by getting the key before my time came. I left for a while, then came back when it was my time to RSE. But, I could NOT find the chest for the life of me. I was looking at the two maps that show where they spawn, but I ran around for 3-4 hours trying to find it, nothing. There were other people apparently after the mining points, not sure if they were also after the chest.

The other part that made it much more difficult was the way the doors close behind you. Once you're in that inner part, you can't get out unless someone opens the door. Am I correct? Since there is a concentration of chests in that inner room on the ground floor, would it make sense just to camp there and wait for it to spawn?

It was very frustrating to have put in that much effort for nothing. Is this common? Do you have any tips to make this easier?
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2008-11-17 10:28:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I hated Gusgen Mines when my RSE week came up. Shak. Maze is just as bad. I just waited until my RSE week fell into Ordelles Caves and had at it. Good luck. :)
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-17 10:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Tonight is Ordelle Cave for me. Will take your advice here. Would I be able to get all 4 here in one week, assuming I have quick warps to and fro? I am lvl 40 MNK/DNC.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2008-11-17 11:10:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I got mine all at once but I also had a bunch of people with me to assist in key-farming and chest hunting. It all depends on your luck on making the keys drop and then finding the boxes, I guess. :3 Good luck
 Ragnarok.Saeryn
Server: Ragnarok
user: Saeryn
By Ragnarok.Saeryn 2008-11-17 17:01:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Did almost all of mine in one run in Ordelle's. Think the last piece I got there as well, and managed to get my Sachet in the same go. Good luck! :)
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2008-11-17 17:25:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, lucky you, SE is about to implement a new adjustment to the repop time of treasure/coffer chests. Thus more chests in less time. So that should help in some way other than that i suggest getting to know the area like map out a course that would go in circles that passes each pop point or try stealing a friend who can help open doors/check pop points/keep eye on who is in zone(rmt maybe)/or even laugh at you because you missed a chest by 5ft because some greedy little *** wanted the 700gil in the chest~!
Farming the key is a great start though.

good luck and cheers~ ^^
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2008-11-17 19:02:25
Link | Quote | Reply

It's possible to get all 4 in one week if you have help . Farming keys does help but remember you can only have 1 key in possession. After that's it's luck. I managed to get most of mine in 1 week since I had a friend teleporting me. If you have THF high enough, I say go as THF since you can pick the locks and say "Frak the keys". Honestly, in my opinion, Gusgen is teh easiest. Ordelle's and Shakhrami have a few pop locations you have to drop down for. The doors in gusgen tend to stay open unless someone enters through another (like your miners). Your RSE armor is cake compared to your RSE ammo. The drop on the ammo is very low. If you want to plan ahead more on when your RSE week is, I used the following link: http://www.mithrapride.org/vana_time/index.html

Good luck! If you need any advice, feel free to msg/PM me.
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-18 14:04:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are all very helpful, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I found Ordelle to be easier to battle in than Gusgen and Shakhrami. The main area where the mobs spawn, it's easy to pull them for more private beating up. As MNK/DNC, I worry about linking since the fights take a bit longer, so better isolation is helpful.

But, I didn't get a key to drop after 2.5 hours of fighting the Stroper Chymes (which took a long time to kill!), Stropers and some gobs. I still have my Gusgen Mines key. Would that keep me from getting an Ordelle key to drop? Can you only have one key, period, or only one key per dungeon?
 Siren.Markii
Server: Siren
user: Markai
By Siren.Markii 2008-11-18 15:45:37
Link | Quote | Reply

One per dungeon. as for the "getting locked in gusgen" throughout the inner areas there are holes you can fall thru, they will put you in tunnels that will eventually lead you out, so you will never really get locked in. Just lotsa running around.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2008-11-18 19:54:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Disintegration said:
As MNK/DNC, I worry about linking since the fights take a bit longer, so better isolation is helpful. But, I didn't get a key to drop after 2.5 hours of fighting the Stroper Chymes (which took a long time to kill!), Stropers and some gobs. I still have my Gusgen Mines key. Would that keep me from getting an Ordelle key to drop? Can you only have one key, period, or only one key per dungeon?

Nope, You can only have one of each key type per area ( meaning you can have a chest and coffer key for teh same zone). In other words, you can farm up a key for each area and when you go to do your RSE, use the key and pound another key mob. You should be able to get a full RSE armor set in about a week or 2 that way. FFxi Atlas has a nice listing of teh key mobs and whether they link/aggro. I will say from what I remember (It's been awhile) that most of them do link. If you are running around and see ??? in the area, depending on the zone, that might be your NM pop for your RSE ammo. Again it's a low drop but worth a try. I recieved mine after 4 claims (I got lucky). Each zone has a different mob for the ammo.
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-19 09:40:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm pretty new to the game and have never opened a chest. So, I wasn't *exactly* sure where they'd be found, even though I was looking at the map that showed their spawn locations. A ??? was near one of the spawn locations and so I thought... hm... maybe the chests are buried in these ??? spots instead of against the wall like I presume. Sometimes this kind of common knowledge can go unsaid. So, I click it and get annihilated by the Aroma Fly as a lvl 38 MNK/WAR. :)

Lesson learned.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2008-11-19 14:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Disintegration said:
I'm pretty new to the game and have never opened a chest. So, I wasn't *exactly* sure where they'd be found, even though I was looking at the map that showed their spawn locations. A ??? was near one of the spawn locations and so I thought... hm... maybe the chests are buried in these ??? spots instead of against the wall like I presume. Sometimes this kind of common knowledge can go unsaid. So, I click it and get annihilated by the Aroma Fly as a lvl 38 MNK/WAR. :) Lesson learned.

YIKES! >< I thought you were a 40+ Sorry to hear about your introduction to the Gusgen RSE NM. Remeber and repay him later. Chesst and coffers will always pop as a box with "Treasure Chest" or Treasure Coffer" identifying them (similar to NPCs, mobs, etc.) Most ??? are for quests or an NM spawn. On that note, Coffers and Chests do not show up on Widescan nor can you spam target them (as in make a macro: /target "treasure Chest" ). Sadly if I was on Rem, I'd offer help but this will have to do. Good luck and good hunting.

EDIT: Possibly the best helpful advice I can offer is this: If you are using teh "Windowed" option, open up a web broweser to FFxi Atlas and use the Treasure option. You can run to each point quickly without having to guess. THE BEST Option I have been using is Print your maps and put them in a binder. Yes, it's time comsuming but very helpful when sites are down.
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-19 14:25:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I play FFXI on an Xbox 360. I usually have my laptop open when I play, so I'm covered on the maps. Very helpful stuff!

I'm now lvl 41 MNK/DNC so this should be easier with Chi Blast and some curing available. Will certainly pay the Aroma Fly a visit soon though to settle the score. It wasn't so bad though, I had an Instant Reraise on me when I realized it wasn't quite a treasure chest! So, only half of the exp lost.
 Phoenix.Danaulle
Server: Phoenix
user: Danaulle
By Phoenix.Danaulle 2008-11-20 16:48:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Check out this site:

http://www.mithrapride.org/vana_time/index.html

It has a list of what days and where your RSE will be. I would try to prep before hand to reduce the amount of time you spend in one of the three areas by farming for a key when you have some free time. this way when it is your week, you can just zone in and find the chest. Also helps to have a WHM handy ~.^

Good luck.