First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-03-08 15:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi guys. Web publishing and running ads have taught me alot over the years. I will share some things you may or may not know.

There are many ad networks organizations out there with Google being the king behemoth. Their product for this is called Adsense. Most of our revenue comes from it. We are also members of other popular ad networks such as Tribal Fusion, Value Click, Traffic Market Place, 24/7 Real Media, and Fox Audience Network.

There are 2 main types of ads we run are CPC and CPM.
CPC = Cost Per Click, CPM = Cost Per Mil (which means per 1000 impressions). Adsense primary does CPC campaigns and the rest are CPM. The ad networks I listed above generally pay more per impression then Adsense. Adsense guarantee's 100% fill though. (usually with lower paid CPC ads).

I tell each network I don't allow certain types of ads, such as pop ups, pop-unders, interstitial, sound, expandables, and adult stuff. And the one that turns random words in the page into an annoying link with a tooltip. I always get offers for these unpopular ad types and they offer alot of $. I turn them down cause I personally hate them and I know you guys do too.

Also, the networks I listed above are invite only. Not any website can become a member. You need to have alot of unique visitors to even be considered. In the early days of FFXIAH, I just ran adsense with some smaller ad networks. Adsense has always been pretty secure and had Google's name behind it. The smaller one's didn't do a good job screening their ads and routinely ran into problems. I have dropped them all from the rotation. Which is too bad because the networks I do run, take 40-50% of all earnings.

I personally don't run ad blocking software. I can't remember the last problem I had with ads on my site. If I do, I investigate it and where it came from. Fortunately browsers are getting smarter by quickly blacklisting attack sites, adobe actively patches flash, and IE is becoming more safe with each version.

I predict phishing to become a big problem in days ahead.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-08 15:39:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Abrupt said:
I hadn't even noticed that donation link there. Much better than ads.

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
The spyware hurts the actual "ograns" of the PC (aka like the CPU, the BIOS and so on) after a while. I've had it happen before with my Dell laptop (2002 laptop died in 2005) and reformatting just didn't work well.)
No. Software being run on a system generally will not fatigue components because the majority of them aren't mechanical in nature, and the idea of spyware causing 'organ failure' in a computer is hilariously absurd. This is more likely the case for any software-level problems you might have had. Aside from software, a computer having a hardware problem usually comes down to single component, which you can usually just replace.

Thanks for saying that better than I could >.>

The absurdity of viruses breaking down hardware components was the point I was trying to bring across.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 15:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If you like the site, but don't want ads, then I suggest you pack your lunch a few days instead of eating out and donate that money. A few bucks won't kill ya.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-08 15:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks Dameshi, and that's another possibility. I didn't want to point it out in my original post, 'cuz there's nothing more annoying than site owners popping out of the woodwork every week begging for money. Some sites put the donation button on every post and every page -- we just have one, and it's rather tiny.

If you want to keep blocking the ads because of safety concerns, (and that's fine), you could consider donating. We even let you put your name and server up there for the world to see if you wish. We accept Paypal, and $5-10 would easily cover months' worth of your usage.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 15:49:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
If you like the site, but don't want ads, then I suggest you pack your lunch a few days instead of eating out and donate that money. A few bucks won't kill ya.
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Thanks Dameshi, and that's another possibility. I didn't want to point it out in my original post, 'cuz there's nothing more annoying than site owners popping out of the woodwork every week begging for money. Some sites put the donation button on every post and every page -- we just have one, and it's rather tiny.

If you want to keep blocking the ads because of safety concerns, (and that's fine), you could consider donating. We even let you put your name and server up there for the world to see if you wish. We accept Paypal, and $5-10 would easily cover months' worth of your usage.

I've been meaning to for a while. Typical procrastination excuses. Even though I don't block the ads, I donated for those of you that do. You're welcome.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 15:52:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Even though I don't block the ads, I donated for those of you that do. You're welcome.
Likewise. If the site goes down, I gotta find somewhere else to troll! :O
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 15:53:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Even though I don't block the ads, I donated for those of you that do. You're welcome.
If you're a troll, urdoinitwrong.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 15:54:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:

Is that better?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 15:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:

Is that better?
Yes.
 Fairy.Usua
Server: Fairy
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-03-08 16:00:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry Jaerik but for me my needs/concerns>every one else's.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-03-08 16:06:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

That's what I was pointing out in my post earlier, yet it seems it wasn't taken that way? I don't know why it was quoted and replied to with a sigh. lol To me, ever since account hacks swept XI and still continue to it seems ad and script blocking were applied in a pretty heavy-handed manner by players, so I expected donations to be much higher given how long this site's been around.
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2010-03-08 16:10:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

I bet you could get a lot of donations by offering custom forum bars. Maybe different colors depending on how much you donate? Just an idea.
 Fairy.Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-03-08 16:12:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lol pull a gaia and make customizable avatars and then make a monetary system to buy items for said avatars and make special donation items that can only be bought with real money. Gaia is addictive as ***for that very reason.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-03-08 16:13:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Lol at anyone using IE, that one was from a Time Warner Ad.

Gave you guys some revenue (how much do you get a click) turning the ***back on now.

That doubleclick XSS is likely benign. Not all XSS is bad but it is probably accurate to say that advertisers shouldn't need to put code in a query string. Noscript will give that notice for anything that looks like XSS. Try to put this an any url with noscript:

http://www.cnn.com/?q=%3Cscript%3Edocument.write('hello%20world')%3C%2Fscript%3E
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-08 16:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Caiyuo said:
That's what I was pointing out in my post earlier, yet it seems it wasn't taken that way? I don't know why it was quoted and replied to with a sigh. lol To me, ever since account hacks swept XI and still continue to it seems ad and script blocking were applied in a pretty heavy-handed manner by players, so I expected donations to be much higher given how long this site's been around.

I misunderstood, I'm sorry. By "XI" I thought you meant us in particular being the problem, hence my sigh. =)
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 16:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Holy ***. Back to back red bar posts.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-03-08 16:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn, I just checked my inbox, thanks for the donations! >.<
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 16:17:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Scragg said:
Damn, I just checked my inbox, thanks for the donations! >.<
I was hoping that would be the result of this thread.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-08 16:19:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres a donate button!?! And why do people hate the little ads on here so much. They are hardly noticeable half the time and are often somewhat humorous
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 16:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Theres a donate button!?! And why do people hate the little ads on here so much. They are hardly noticeable half the time and are often somewhat humorous
Yeah. I normally go to the main page for the forum so I'm rarely looking in that part of the menu. I actually looked for it earlier and overlooked it a few times before finding it. I was expecting a button like the facebook one.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-03-08 16:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Any thought on letting users buy adspace?
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2010-03-08 16:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:

I can see the HNMLS ads now lol. Server-specific ads for selling and buying R/Ex items. Brilliant!
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-03-08 16:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I hate ads on my interwebs. Personal preference. Most of the time they're annoying and intrusive. I can honestly say I've never clicked through on an ad because if I want to buy something I'll go to a reputable retailer (bestbuy.com, walmart.com, officedepot.com, etc). Same reason I download TV shows: so I don't have to waste 15 minutes watching ads for stuff I'll never buy during a 45 min show.

The point of ads is to generate revenue. If I can donate to eliminate ads then that better suits my preferences.
[+]
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-03-08 16:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I misunderstood, I'm sorry. By "XI" I thought you meant us in particular being the problem, hence my sigh. =)
It's cool, thanks for the clarification. I had a "; ;" moment. lol

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I think most rejecting ads are concerned about security as opposed to aesthetics or the ad/content itself.
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2010-03-08 16:27:21
Link | Quote | Reply

It can be done although I am wary of the intentions of users that want to advertise. Such as what the ad will look like, what it will say, and what the landing page will be.

All of this will have to be screened. Even then, the landing page can be altered or redirected. I have done some direct advertising deals with FF Radio before.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-03-08 16:29:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
If I can donate to eliminate ads then that better suits my preferences.

That's an interesting idea. We already track who makes donations. (Although some prefer to remain anonymous.)
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-03-08 16:30:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, hell, you've got to be able to make damn good money by renting out web space for linkshell websites and using your domain name to justify a higher price than what you could get at some place like bihira.
 Fairy.Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-03-08 16:33:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Baelorn said:

I can see the HNMLS ads now lol. Server-specific ads for selling and buying R/Ex items. Brilliant!
Other websites have done user ads with a decent amount of success. It just depends on what kind of community uses the site.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-03-08 16:36:52
Link | Quote | Reply

I mentioned something similar to this a few weeks back, though my idea was to eliminate the Consumer Price Index off the front page and replace it with something like a "FFXI Noticeboard" type dealy.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=7715