Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Pandemonium.Tatsuki
Server: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: douten
By Pandemonium.Tatsuki 2010-03-08 13:36:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't have any ads blocker here. I seriously haven't gotten any pop-up or under in years though, I guess it's just the quality of ads the site I go to chose. Thanks : )
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-03-08 13:36:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I can vouch that this site has been malware/virus/spyware free since I started using it two years ago, and since almost daily for the past uh...like year(with the exception of the past two months or so). Not once have I put a popup blocker, have used *exclusively* IE and wtfamIretarded the last version of Netscape before it was discontinued.

Not once have I gotten a virus that I could not pinpoint where it was wrong (hi2u4chan) or a spyware that was not off of music. That being said, I ALSO have not seen an ad that has had more than four different "pictures" as a slideshow ad...and they were all dark, took a few seconds for the next part to show, as well as didn't really poke any angry bears.

Well, except that one with the really hot, had to be photoshopped girl with the EE cups for a MMO a while back...people complained and I'm pretty sure the admins told that ad "gtfo my site".

I understand people avoid any risk and for whatever reason hate all ads (NEVER had a popup from this site), but for what its worth? It's as safe a site as any you'd find.
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
Server: Carbuncle
user: Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2010-03-08 13:37:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
We actually originally considered opening FFXIAH.com as a premium content site. That is, free users would get some basic functionality but high-value areas, like the crafting and drill-down details on items, would be subscription based. (Similar to sites like Allakhazam.) Our users almost unanimously said they'd prefer keeping the whole site free, and just putting ads everywhere.
I think you should still do premium accounts. I'm sure you could think of something spiffy to add for premium users.
Beer and lunch with Jaerik & Scragg for all premium users? I'd be down.
*** yeah
I'd support that.
 Kujata.Tsuki
Server: Kujata
user: Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-08 13:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph said:
I can vouch that this site has been malware/virus/spyware free since I started using it two years ago

Also, No.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kalyna
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-03-08 13:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Tsuki said:
I can vouch that this site has been malware/virus/spyware free since I started using it two years ago
Also, No.
/agree with the no. See above picture for details. And it was JUST a few minutes ago.
[+]
 Cerberus.Oric
Server: Cerberus
user: Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2010-03-08 13:38:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Krizz said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
We actually originally considered opening FFXIAH.com as a premium content site. That is, free users would get some basic functionality but high-value areas, like the crafting and drill-down details on items, would be subscription based. (Similar to sites like Allakhazam.) Our users almost unanimously said they'd prefer keeping the whole site free, and just putting ads everywhere.
I think you should still do premium accounts. I'm sure you could think of something spiffy to add for premium users.

Premium users... Hmmm... Mobile updates when my ***sells?... Oh hell yes
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Server: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 13:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Tsuki said:

Also, No.
You want to contribute something to this conversation, or just be a negative nelly?
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 13:40:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Oric said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Premium users... Hmmm... Mobile updates when my ***sells?... Oh hell yes
Lol, can you imagine how many premium users there would be if you could set it to e-mail you when ***sells or comes up for sale on the AH?

(The latter wouldn't happen due to giving an unfair advantage in game. More so than this site already does.)
 Kujata.Tsuki
Server: Kujata
user: Tsuki
By Kujata.Tsuki 2010-03-08 13:42:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
You want to contribute something to this conversation, or just be a negative nelly?

It should go without explanation. The fact it requires any explanation is disturbing, but then not everyone really cares about security and holes in said security.

This site has had breeches of security before, including maleware injection from flash adds. anyone trying to advocate that this did not happen or "vouching" for it is severely mistaken.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-03-08 13:44:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Since I opened the ads:

Never had issues. /shrug
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 13:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Tsuki said:
Asura.Dameshi said:

It should go without explanation. The fact it requires any explanation is disturbing, but then not everyone really cares about security and holes in said security.

This site has had breeches of security before, including maleware injection from flash adds. anyone trying to advocate that this did not happen or "vouching" for it is severely mistaken.
Thank you, that sounds much better than just no.
[+]
 Caitsith.Deadonarrival
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Deadonarrival 2010-03-08 13:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

My NoScript/Avira has found malicious coding on this website in the past. I don't think I'll be unblocking the adds.

Though if there was a premium account service, then I would be interested.
[+]
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2010-03-08 13:47:45
Link | Quote | Reply

There have been posts about infected ads on the forum. A lot of us don't feel like playing russian roulette with our PCs by just hoping the infected ads don't load for us.

There needs to be some kind of regulation for internet advertisements when an infected ad can cause thousands of dollars in damages. Sites promising users that they'll do everything they can to prevent infected ads just isn't enough when so much is at risk.
[+]
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-03-08 13:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Baelorn said:
Sites promising users that they'll do everything they can to prevent infected ads just isn't enough when so much is at risk.
Exactly. Unless they're willing to pay the damages to us, their customers, i don't trust pop-up ads.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 13:51:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Not trying to make an issue out of it. Just trying to remind users that heavily using our site while blocking ads does impact our ability to make ends meet. If you don't care, then we can't really do anything more than ask nicely. Just a friendly request. =)

Just felt that needed quoted ;)
By lolgaxe 2010-03-08 13:51:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd whitelist the site if it wasn't notorious for keyloggers.
[+]
 Fairy.Rorrick
Server: Fairy
user: Rorrick
By Fairy.Rorrick 2010-03-08 13:53:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda curious as to what "not evil" policy lets RMT slather this place in ads for buying and selling gil and accounts.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2010-03-08 13:59:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Rorrick said:
Kinda curious as to what "not evil" policy lets RMT slather this place in ads for buying and selling gil and accounts.
Most sites have little to no control over their ads on the site. So they can't really get rid of all the RMT ads.

I know FFXI AH is trying to keep the site safe, however as long as flash ads are out there's always a risk of getting infected.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-08 14:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Baelorn said:
when an infected ad can cause thousands of dollars in damages.

lolwut
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-03-08 14:01:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I donated like $10 a couple months ago last time this was brought up. I can't stand ads even if it is the only revenue a website will make. I'll gladly donate to keep it running though. Which by the way was never listed on the Donations page.

Edit: Guess the donations page was updated since last time I looked, nevermind I'm sure mine is one of the $10 ones in December 2009.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-03-08 14:01:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Baelorn said:

lolwut

Infecting multiple PCs.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-08 14:03:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Baelorn said:

lolwut

Infecting multiple PCs.

He should probably word that better.
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-03-08 14:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Baelorn said:
lolwut
it's true.

in the long run, even the "non-damaging" spyware damages computers. Your computer will get slow, it'll make it more unstable, and when formatting just won't cut it anymore, you have to buy a new computer. That's why Windows OS is a horrible OS. Microsoft purposely does this because it guarantees people to buy a new PC every few years and that's how they get their revenue as being a big and well-known OS company.

Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 14:04:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Baelorn said:
lolwut
it's true.

in the long run, even the "non-damaging" spyware damages computers. Your computer will get slow, it'll make it more unstable, and when formatting just won't cut it anymore, you have to buy a new computer. That's why Windows OS is a horrible OS. Microsoft purposely does this because it guarantees people to buy a new PC every few years and that's how they get their revenue as being a big and well-known OS company.
Let's not bring conspiracy into this thread :P
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-03-08 14:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
lolwut
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2010-03-08 14:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Dameshi said:
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Baelorn said:
lolwut
it's true.

So I can't pull a Dale Gribble? D:
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-03-08 14:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Baelorn said:
lolwut
it's true.

How would formatting the PC not cut it anymore? If your upgrading it's because your PC is a fossil, not because of intected ad's.

A format will pretty much always bring a PC back to the point of factory settings.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-03-08 14:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Corrderio said:
Asura.Dameshi said:
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Baelorn said:
lolwut
it's true.

So I can't pull a Dale Gribble? D:
*Hank voice* Damnit Dale!
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-03-08 14:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Weewoo said:
The Pizza Hut one is pretty sweet actually. Brings you directly to the page to place an order. How convenient!

Never seen that one, I see an ad where it asked me to go to a Ring Auction, Now if I had that Pizza hut one, that wud be nice, doesn't matter it should be internat'l anyways.

( even thouhg I order my pizza from a more locally owned Point a view, Pizza hut is ok, but not my #1 priority)

Jaerik, I do my best sometime, only if its an ad I like. The free game sites I certianly go to, oh yes.