I need a new server please assist ; ;
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-11-12 23:14:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing FFXI for (I won't say a long time but a while) Obviously I am on odin atm. Between the price war on the AH, the severe over population and all the issues that come with that I decided to retire had been a good run I thought.
I am editing my post, I think my personal health problems should stay personal. I will say I made a return to the game because I have become ill, and it won't be resolved for quite sometime. I just want some information; I am not asking for a friend or any help or a LS or anything. I miss the days when the game was more or less an enjoyable experience, I know every server has issues hell they all do, but if there is a server out there that is just kinda there and unremarkable let me know, would love to visit. I am not saying friends aren't welcome btw ^^; I am just not a needy player - I.e. linkshell, personal contacts, dynamis membership etc.. you've all seen the posts for such things I am sure. I am unremarkable myself quiet and craft alot :D I don't really play I just enjoy the music and doing weird random things like standing in ranfaure crafting HQ rods for ppl that run by in onion gear D: (aka. noob rescue) that is if your sever can handle another random wallflower (*^^;
 Odin.Chinajohn
user: papabear
By Odin.Chinajohn 2008-11-13 00:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm how about migrating to... ODIN!!! lol!

but man i'm noob in odin but since i can't think of anything wrong asides from killer prices in AH, please let me know what you think is very wrong?
 Odin.Marigrim
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-11-13 00:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin has develpoed a rather staggering population, and of course the AH is the most obvious thing affected at a first look. You have to look around a bit more to see some of the other issues over population can cause. I love odin I do, don't get me wrong and I am not going to bash my server either; but when you tear back the surface a little you'll see for youself some of the issues that have made it just not the place for me anymore - but to all veterans of odin and new incoming players I bid you welcome and may you find many adventures and more over memories of unforgetable friends :)
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2008-11-13 03:50:23
Link | Quote | Reply

haha the rnadomness sounds liek soemone in my ls (they refuse to level a job past 60 ut has a bunch level and just does all kind things that coraspond to his level like asaults and level cap oh and die dies alot lol.
 Odin.Marigrim
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-11-13 06:13:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you for that reply but unfortunatly I don't see any relevance to the plight I have above posted for commentary. But I thank you for what ever it was you were trying to say :)
Just in case you are refering to my current playstyle I have done quite abit I haven't sat and done nothing in the game, I have done enough to be satisfied as far as progression;
I am more searching for a nice "unremarkable" place to spend the remainder of my time as far as my health will permit which won't be as long as I would like it to ; ;
 Seraph.Corr
Server: Seraph
user: Coromaru
By Seraph.Corr 2008-11-13 08:38:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Before you move servers, please think about the people you would be leaving behind. Who would miss you? You might want to consider this before switching.
However, if you really want to move servers, Seraph is great. I've been here since July 2004, and it's a lot of fun. I don't really know too much about the prices on the AH compared to other servers, but farmed items sell really high compared to other items on the AH. Although there are quite a bit of noobs, the people are great as well.

Plus, I could use a few HQ rods xD
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-13 11:37:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're still alive, I would recommend spending your last days in-life instead of in-game. Food for thought.
 Siren.Murdock
Server: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2008-11-13 11:46:20
Link | Quote | Reply

i wouldnt. RL offers nothing in the form of entertainment when ur of ill health.

come to siren :P
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2008-11-13 12:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

guess u could take it as a saying it a server with other like minded people. Theres engame drama like any other place u go just depends what u looking to do. umm would say userally around 2300-2700 people on at any time. You can just use this site to check prices on gif servers.

Oh and far the RL comment sometimes if health is bad you end up to limited to what you can do in RL to find any enjoyment.
 Unicorn.Claquesous
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Claquesous 2008-11-13 12:51:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd like to make an observation that I think is relevant.

Every single person on my friend list who has switched servers no longer played on that new server three months and one day after they switched. Most of them switched back at a cost of $50 and three months of friendless misery. (One or two of them just plain quit.)

I doubt that the reason for this is a judgement of my server and even less a judgement of being on my friend list.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-11-13 13:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I can certainly understand bad health, but I bet more times than not, the real crippling factor is the victim mentality that drives you to air your dirty laundry publically, as if it were relevant to changing servers. My father is dying and he lives every day in constant fear and misery.

Just like he lived when he was healthy.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
Server: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-11-13 13:38:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone I know who has switched servers quit because they were not accepted by most end game linkshells on their new server. Granted if you are like Ramuh, we have a linkshell thats made up of 99% server transfers most of who have no skill in their jobs and many relics floating around. Nothing like seeing a pld/nin tanking in -damage gear w/ aegis and not gear swapping, eh ?

Anyways, what I'm getting at is lots of end game shells consider server transfers someone who is hiding from something or account buyers. While you may be neither of those two people might and probably will think you are. If you are hiding from something, some how someone will find out -- the BG forums have a background check section just for that.

Think about it hard before you do it -- I'd quit the game before I server transfer since most the reason I still play after 4 years now is to chat and hang out with friends I've made.

Should you decide to move I would quietly merge with the new server, slowly make friends and slowly become known. Don't apply to the best shell on the server day 1 -- they will know something is up. And finally -- don't lie when confronted about server transfering lol ... I handled my LS's apps for a long time and damn that was so annoying.
 Siren.Murdock
Server: Siren
user: Murdock
By Siren.Murdock 2008-11-13 13:57:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Bekisa said:
I'd quit the game before I server transfer since most the reason I still play after 4 years now is to chat and hang out with friends I've made.

QFT ^
 Odin.Marigrim
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-11-13 15:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Thank you all for so many replies, some of which made sense some of which I didn't quite understand. Many of you are correct about one thing, my ill health is what returned me to ffxi. I'm not dying per-say or anything well not exaclty (seriously complicated) anyhow but this for awhile is my only escape from my condition. As far as hiding from things here no there is none of that :) I have done "end-game" things here and there and my ability is noted by most people I play with and more or less I am rather popular. For my friends most if not all left a very long time ago be they transfered, retired, out right quit or suffered financial set backs and took hiatus. Needless to say I don't have many left I would really call my friends (easy way to find out is "thanks for the memories guys" and the reply "can I have your gear?") For my distaste of odin and it's AH system money isn't a big thing to me but it causes a more "feral" attitude with the players it really does show the worst of them more of the time than not with such money competition. I just want to be a wallflower someplace less "fast paced" than here to be sure where I might be able to do some random thing to make someones day here or there. Odin is not the place for wallflowers, and Odin is not my home server, I was "sent" here.. (leaving it at that) though I do love odin like anyone else would love their server - and I didn't quit 91 days later, as far as LS applications I won't be submitting any so no worry for that headache either I have no real end-game interest. A final thought is many many many.. many - migrate to Odin, don't think it overly strange someone may want to migrate out rather than leave the game they have invested years in; of which I have as well as many. Thank you all again for the many replies :)
 Unicorn.Moriar
Server: Unicorn
user: Moriar
By Unicorn.Moriar 2008-11-13 20:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey, I'd recommend Unicorn as well. In fact you sound a lot like me (- the endgame experience). I'm generally quiet, don't have many friends, and spend most of my time crafting. This is because I quit for a good chunk of 2 or 3 years and if I want to get to the level of being competitive in endgame events it would take far too much time. I'm in college and would prefer to focus on that. If you do decide to come to Unicorn hit me up and we can talk.

Peace
 Odin.Tsukiji
user: Tsukiji
By Odin.Tsukiji 2008-11-19 06:48:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if you were from any server I would recommend Odin. I really don't see what's wrong with this server, but I'm not at endgame level. All I know is that if you leave you risk running into the opposite problem: a dead server.

You might take a look at Bahamut.
 Odin.Aramina
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2008-11-19 10:04:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Have enjoyed your recent posts and the intrigue around your mysterious goldsmithing request...

To be sure, the rampant RMT price-fixing and overpopulation make Odin less desirable these days, yet people still seem to flock here, and as much as SE even admits the population issue, they refuse to shut the borders. It's probably not as big an issue if you don't EXP or do endgame much, but holy crap, try getting into Nyzul at 11 AM EST on Sundays...

Several of my friends have said "if it weren't for this LS or my friends, I'd transfer out" or "if the whole LS went, I'd go too."

For me, Odin has been home since the 360 Beta on Hydra, and while I play on PC these days, I still miss Hydra and have stayed in touch with many who I met in those first days adventuring in Vana'diel.

Wherever you go, or if you decide to stay, best wishes to you. I'm sure that there are quiet servers out there. Go to BG and look for the ones with the least active boards and that may give you some hints on where you can be a wallflower in peace.
 Kujata.Janyuari
Server: Kujata
user: Janyuari
By Kujata.Janyuari 2008-11-19 10:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't go to Kujata, the best Taru EVER is about to QUIT!!! ME!!! D: OMGGGGGGGGGGG.....*END OF THE WORLD(or server)******
 Diabolos.Tahpo
Server: Diabolos
user: tahpo
By Diabolos.Tahpo 2008-11-19 11:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos. Nothing ever happens here. Fairly low population, iirc, and the AH is stable. The inflation was nuts about 2 years ago, but has settled out now.

Still, I'd think long and hard before transferring. It sounds like you have and possess good reasons for wanting to leave. I'd still give it more thought, though. Every server has its own problems and, when you transfer, you're simply trading a known set of problems for an unknown set. Sometimes, it's better the devil you know than the one you don't.
 Odin.Angrykitty
By Odin.Angrykitty 2008-11-19 11:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I left Odin and migrated to FAIRY, so far that's been a huge mistake... Not because of the economy, but because of the players on that server. A lot of them have severe personality defects^^ I only managed to meet 3 decent players on that server who were leaving that server and after giving it some contemplation, i've decided to move back to Odin.
Odin may be overcrowded and have subtle problems with the auction house, but it is the friendliest server I've had experience with thus far.

My overall ratings (with the ones i've had experience with)...
Odin 91%
Lakshmi 85%
Fenrir 85%
Caitsith 55%
Remora 51%
Pandemonium 40%
FAIRY 0% (shut this one down)
 Fairy.Conchita
Server: Fairy
user: Conchita
By Fairy.Conchita 2008-11-19 12:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

That's very nice of you to say to shut the Fairy server down (not like they would). Just because you haven't met many nice ppl doesn't mean there aren't any. I love my friends on this server and would do pretty much ANYTHING for them. Yes, I even log on a friend's char to camp a NM on him just so he can log on to see his new shiny item he has. I'm sorry that you only met "jerks", but saying that the whole server consists of them is simply wrong. Maybe you just didn't give it enough time (3 months isn't a whole lot if you try to make new friends).
 Asura.Sidi
Server: Asura
user: Sidi
By Asura.Sidi 2008-11-19 12:38:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I switched from Lakshmi to Asura over a year ago, and love it every last bit... I know theres a fair amount of ppl on Asura who think I'm insane to love it, but I just happened to find the good people, and managed to change my perspective on the game and have fun with it

(beforehand I was quitting every 3-4 months, deleting characters, destroying disks, starting anew and whatnot, since I moved to Asura never once thought about quitting, so thats saying something)

If you want to come to Asura, obviously I'd say you're quite welcome... I'd love to give you a linkshell, although atm its rather empty (I don't like shouting for members, so ppl go busy, and dissapear and pop. dwindled to squat.. only a few on here and there anymore, I don't know what I'm gonna do with it, restart and hunt for more members again, or just leave it small... dunno yet), but if you do end up moving here, send me a tell, I'll hand you a shell until you find one you prefer or whatever... and if you wanna do anything random, I try to be available to do it (love doing random stuff XD)-- in a week my massive workload should dwindle so can play a lot more again

but wallflowers ftw, Asura is a fairly active server I suppose, but I don't see why you can't be a wallflower... every server needs more random people!!!!

Anyways, you may just want to randomly choose one w/o looking or so, then you'll hold no predjuices and expectations about that server based on what others said (like choose a less heard've one like sirin or something for a small 'unremarkable' server)

I don't know what the health issues are... just hope they get better, or can be resolved in some way... that really sucks =/
 Fenrir.Kuroai
Server: Fenrir
user: Kuroai
By Fenrir.Kuroai 2008-11-19 12:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I am actually looking for a new server as well. I am looking for a server with a decent endgame shell that runs around or after 7pm PST.

I've been to 3 different servers and finding a PST linkshell is proving to be harder than I thought. If anyone can help me out with some suggestions I would appreciate it! :)
 Fairy.Raikan
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2008-11-19 13:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

There are good people on Fairy.
 Fairy.Yakutatazu
By Fairy.Yakutatazu 2008-11-19 13:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Angrykitty said:
I left Odin and migrated to FAIRY, so far that's been a huge mistake... Not because of the economy, but because of the players on that server. A lot of them have severe personality defects^^ I only managed to meet 3 decent players on that server who were leaving that server and after giving it some contemplation, i've decided to move back to Odin.

Um Fairy isn't that bad, sure it has a lot of WG shouting idiots but there are a lot of good people. I left Fairy for 3 months for Bahamut and found the people there a lot more elitest and rude. As for the changing servers, I would have to advise against it. In under a week after leaving I found myself wanting to go back to Fairy and as soon as I was able to I did.. $50 wasted basically lol.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2008-11-19 13:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Angrykitty said:
I left Odin and migrated to FAIRY, so far that's been a huge mistake... Not because of the economy, but because of the players on that server. A lot of them have severe personality defects^^ I only managed to meet 3 decent players on that server who were leaving that server and after giving it some contemplation, i've decided to move back to Odin. Odin may be overcrowded and have subtle problems with the auction house, but it is the friendliest server I've had experience with thus far. My overall ratings (with the ones i've had experience with)... Odin 91% Lakshmi 85% Fenrir 85% Caitsith 55% Remora 51% Pandemonium 40% FAIRY 0% (shut this one down)

Fairy has some good folks but like every server we have some rotten nad/or annoying ones. I liked Caitsith when I was there. Ppl I know have had better experiences on Fairy compared to Ragnorak, Titan and Carbuncle.

With the mass transfer off of Odin, are you even able to move back?
 Gilgamesh.Khaty
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Nathoo
By Gilgamesh.Khaty 2008-11-19 19:08:25
Link | Quote | Reply

hey le come to gilga this place rocks! :D
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-11-20 01:47:51
Link | Quote | Reply

@_@ Okie... honestly Marigrim I don't know how much some of the input has helped = /

Your chances of ending up in a "good" server is basically if you chance to find a "good" linkshell--that is, a linkshell that you can fit into, a group of people you click with and can communicate well with, not only in game situations, but conversationally as well. Personality has a LOT to do with EVERYTHING in this game. I'm glad you're one of the easy-going types who isn't anal-rententive about the game and stuff, it really does ease the stress of "omg did u just steal my [insert Rare/Ex ***here]??? fk u *** imma steal ur gf/bf now".

A lot of people, including me, play for the friends they've made in game. Personally, that's the best reason to play. ^^

Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

fairy sucks
 Odin.Marigrim
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-11-20 05:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

wow.. I don't know what to say with such a huge outcry of support and advice from so many from all over ^^; I wish I could quote you all but I would run out of room XD all of you have made great points and given me great insight to the inner workings of your respective servers. For all of your time and thoughs (and many many well wishes I thank you all, I was shocked to see how many ppl cared enough to wish me tidings of better health. Actually many in odin who have read this post (and a few others) have found me in game and wished me well. Well wishing does nothing to heal the body obviously but it does more than medicine to know ppl that don't know me actually care what happens to one of their own. As for the goldsmithing post XD keep guessing no takers yet :/ And from scanning this post I believe if the contributers were all on the same server or even as much as in the same LS, I would have never had reason to make this post in the first place. I only wish I could find more ppl like you where I am presently in RL and in vana'diel. And very special thanks to Aramina, it was nice to see odin's voice here as well. And Aramina if you happen to read this post I will tell you what the mystery behind the goldsmith post is so long as you promise to keep it to yourself ^^ my surgery is january wish me luck and I hope I am able up until then to keep posting messages of thanks on this thread because ppl take interest in reading it. And to Sidi I will keep your offer in mind thank you :D
To Anye it has helped alot, if nothing else it was nice to see so many that cared :) and you're right about [insert random rare/exclusive item here] seems I make more friends in this post from across the many faces of vana'diel without intention than I was able unpon the face that I currently walk. Thank you all again you'll never know how much I appreacite it.
First Page 2 3