SAM 70+ gear
First Page 2 3
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2008-11-07 23:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm. I've recently been working on SAM, currently at Lv.70, and I was wondering what the optimal gear for this job would be in both Store-TP'ing(acquiring TP) and WS'ing. Trying to find gear that doesn't require load(and I mean loads and loads) of work or isn't too overly priced(i.e. Hagun). . .Any ideas or what not? This is for Level range 70 - 75

My current set-up is:
Weapon: Gold Musketeer's Uchigatana
Grip: Pole Grip
Ranged: Smart Grenade(ATTK+4)
Head: Optical Hat/Sipahi Turban
Neck: Chivalrous Chain
Earring(s): Coral Earring/Spike Earring
Body: Haubergeon
Hands: Horomusha Kote
Ring(s): Ecphoria Ring/Rajas Ring
Back: Amemet Mantle +1
Waist: Potent Belt
Legs: SAM AFv1(Myochin Haidate)
Feet: Leaping Boots

Any ideas/assistance will be grateful. No criticism please xD Thank you!
 Cerberus.Orphanos
Server: Cerberus
user:
By Cerberus.Orphanos 2008-11-08 00:17:47
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Waist Velocious Belt, Neck Peacock Amulet, Body Haub + 1, Hands O Kote, Weapon Soboro, Feet @ 72 Fuma Feet, Byakko's Haidate @ 75
 Carbuncle.Blirien
Server: Carbuncle
user: Doug3d829
By Carbuncle.Blirien 2008-11-08 00:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I posted my gear sets for my SAM - feel free to check them out...
For TP gear you only need +11 in gear to achieve a 6 hit build (+25 traits + 10 merits). 5 hit build isnt practical IMO, although its achievable with a Tomoe.
 Carbuncle.Godfather
Server: Carbuncle
user: Godfather
By Carbuncle.Godfather 2008-11-08 11:32:26
Link | Quote | Reply

please check out my gear sets on my ffxiah.com profile.
 Ifrit.Killmer
Server: Ifrit
user: Killmer
By Ifrit.Killmer 2008-11-08 12:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Orphanos said:
Waist Velocious Belt, Neck Peacock Amulet, Body Haub + 1, Hands O Kote, Weapon Soboro, Feet @ 72 Fuma Feet, Byakko's Haidate @ 75

i know this seems like a crazy idea... but LOL. soboro and fuma? FAIL!

only times you should be rocking soboro is /dnc,/rng, or messing around. at 75 hagun or onimaru ONLY!

as for feet id say go with amir boots, +6acc +5att > 3% haste. and if you really want the best feet do some salvage and go after usukane sune-ate.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2008-11-08 18:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

To Orphanos:
>>Yeah, I'd think that Soboro, with its 40DMG would be nothing against a couple other GKTs. Velocious belt made me lol. Peacock Amulet/Charm and Fuma aren't too bad. Already have Byakko's haidate. And I am sick of at the sight of ochimusha/ochuido's kote, because I am at like 0/20 on that NM.
To Blirien:
>>Wow, some pretty nice gear, wish I had more people to do some of those quests/nm/avatar to get some of that gear! :d Change servers!
To Godfather:
>>Not bad, but would a swift belt be better than life belt? Nice gear as well..change servers too!
To Killmer:
>>Haha, that's about what I was thinking about the soboro/fuma. Wouldn't that GKT that drops from Zipacna(Ushikirimaru) be pretty decent? or Shinsoku? Usukane would be nice! :D Change servers with them^^

Sorry if I was a little harsh lol. I will take all your advice and mix it up and test things So basically I need to mix in acc/attk/str/haste, kinda like for about any other melee.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2008-11-08 19:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Unless you are actually doing some Endgame stuff or salvageassault, the build doesn't look too bad. I used G.M Uchigatana at 60 and it worked well. Here's some other options as well as those you stated that I'd keep:

Weapon: Sukesada (I'd swap out at 72/73. I haven't looked at anything that lvl yet)
Grip: Pole is good, look at Mythril Grip +1 or the NQ
Head: Myochin Kabuto (for Meditate)/ O.Hat/ Fourth Haube
Neck: Chivalrous Chain (keep)
Earring(s): Coral Earring and Fowling Earring/Minuet Earring.
Body: Byrnie (Never failed me)
Hands: Horomusha Kote or O. Kote/ Fourth Division Hentzes
Ring(s):Rajas Ring/Ulthalam's Ring(Lose Ecphoria and replace this) or Unyielding.
Back: Amemet Mantle +1
Waist: Potent Belt
Legs: Myochin Haidate (for WS)and Shinimusha Haidate (for TP build/Meditate)
Feet: Fourth Divison Schuhs/Hachiman Sune-ate(lose the Leaping Boots)

As for Soboro, it's nice but if you're /war swap out around 60-65. with GMU I was hitting harder than SAMs my lvl. I mentioned Shinimusha for meditate because when exping at 60-70 while I was standing around doing nada I was able to build 140 TP. Could be due to macro lag but it happened alot so I'm unsure if the amount of Store TP gear on effects it somehow.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2008-11-08 19:08:01
Link | Quote | Reply

May want to check Killing Ifrit Samurai forums for seventy-five equipment. Otherwise, for your level gap at the moment, see (since you have Rajas' it seems): http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16440

Onimaru is your katana, if without Hagun. And on that note, on the contrary to popular belief here apparently: Fuma' are your best footwear at seventy-five if without Usukane Sune-ate, once Store TP merits are put in.

...same goes with Mythril' +1 being better than Pole' apparently, which it's not. Pole's the best plain and simple, barring Soboro', where Platinum' +1 would be fancy (or Axe' if you want damage, but lol at using it for that at seventy-five).

May want to see: http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11679

At seventy-five. Since you have R.Ring though, it may confuse you slightly. Simply, your changes would be, since you have Al'taieu access:

Hagun | Pole Grip | Empty | Tiphia Sting
Walahra Turban | Peacock Charm(or Chivalrous Chain) | Bushinomimi | Brutal Earring
Haubergeon | Dusk Gloves | Woodsman Ring | Rajas Ring
Amemet' +1 | Swift Belt(or Life Belt) | Shinimusha Haidate | Fuma Sune-ate

For TP. Alternatively, once you have B.Haidate, you may want to see my own TP set which I have listed, as it's very similar to what you'd want to have with those around. Fowling Earring without Bush'. As for WS,

Hagun | Pole Grip | Empty | Tiphia Sting(or Smart Grenade)
Wyvern Helm | Shadow/Snow Gorgets | Bushinomimi | Brutal Earring
Kirin's Osode(or Haubergeon) | Alkyoneus's Bracelets | Flame Ring | Rajas Ring
Amemet' +1 | Warwolf Belt | Shura Haidate (or Myochin') | Hachiman Sune-ate

Rutter' are better footwear, yes, but as it stands, you'd have to swap your TP set in ASAP to keep your six-hit otherwise, and that's not possible sometimes. Rutter' are easy to handle though, once using H.Kote with B.Haidate. Pallas' if you can't afford Alk' Bracelets, and same goes for Ruby Ring if you can't afford Flame'.

Saw this thread, and it sounded abit blown out of proportion, so I had to give my two cents. Hooray first post.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2008-11-08 23:14:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Lethewaters:
>>Yeah, I plan on using SAM in salvage/assault. Not trying to put any of this advice down, but what use is the Unyielding Ring? DEX/VIT+3 is not really useful, is it? I thought about the Shinimusha Haidate/Hara-ate for Store-TP but that gear would drastically affect your dmg over time. Considering you could use haubergeon/k.osode and byakko's haidate.

Ironguy:
>>Yeah, the gear I posted was stuff I have at Lv.70 SAM. I plan on using K.Osode, B. Haidate, and a couple other pieces @ 75. Currently working on Brutal earring and hopefully bushinomimi soon as well as the Rutters. Hagun will be hell to obtain! Was looking at the sites you posted, and they both had the hachiman kote vs. o/h.kote. are these better? or just macro in for ws? Also should SAM focus on STR more or attack?
 Cerberus.Orphanos
user:
By Cerberus.Orphanos 2008-11-09 17:47:34

Weapon:Amanomurakumo
Grip:Pole Grip
Ranged Weapon:Yoichinoyumi
Head: Ace's Helm
Neck:Peacock Amulet
Earrings:Brutal and Bushinomimi
Body:Haub +1
Hands:Dusk Gloves +1
Rings:Defending Ring + Rajas
Feet:Usukane Sune-ate
Legs:Byakko's Haidate
Waist:Velocious Belt
Back:Cuchulain's mantle

Has a mix of everything, Haste Dex Str Acc Attk Store Tp

GL have a great day sir ^^
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Server: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2008-11-09 18:07:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Orphanos said:
Weapon:Amanomurakumo Grip:Pole Grip Ranged Weapon:Yoichinoyumi Head: Ace's Helm Neck:Peacock Amulet Earrings:Brutal and Bushinomimi Body:Haub +1 Hands:Dusk Gloves +1 Rings:Defending Ring + Rajas Feet:Usukane Sune-ate Legs:Byakko's Haidate Waist:Velocious Belt Back:Cuchulain's mantle Has a mix of everything, Haste Dex Str Acc Attk Store Tp GL have a great day sir ^^

That's what equipment swap macros are for. -_- lol

Reason with Hach' Kote, Triet, is that at seventy-five once you have 5/5 Store TP merits in, you only require eleven sTP on your TP set to have a "six-hit" which is the bread and butter of any /SAM two-hander basically (granted, Perdu' WAR and Scythe DRK only need six or seven, because of the extra TP feedback from their multi-hit weapon skills). Without the sTP from Hach' Kote, you sit at a seven-hit, effectively cutting your damage down for no reason, as Samurai is a job based around weapon skills entirely.

Pre-merits, that first link I gave you shows how to have an appropriate six-hit without sacrificing crucial pieces at level seventy (body piece in particular). Once merits are in, you only need Hachiman Kote (doesn't matter if +1, as this +1 is just white box)/Brutal Earring/Rajas Ring on TP, and only Brutal'/Rajas' on WS.

Granted, that's with more than eleven sTP. If you choose the eleven route (Hachiman Sune-ate/Brutal'/Rajas'), you have to fulltime the feet as eleven is the lowest number possible to hold it at a six-hit. 'kote allow you to do only six sTP on WS, due to the abscess sTP during TP gain normally.
 Cerberus.Orphanos
user:
By Cerberus.Orphanos 2008-11-09 21:20:40

lol'ed in real life
 Phoenix.Kisukesama
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kisukesama 2008-11-10 05:27:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Orphanos said:

lol Drop the O Kote and put in Hachiman kote and full store TP merits and he has a 6 hit build which will do more DoT than O Kotes
 Fairy.Darkgoliath
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Darkgoliath 2008-11-10 10:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

my thoughts only: any of these are acceptable or even all just for any situation at higher lvl

weapon= hagun(if afford) or soboro/shin/ushi
grip= pole strap/mythril +1 w/ soboro
head= walahra turban / wyverns/shura for ws
range/ammo= lightning+1/goblin cracker/tiphia sting
neck= chiv chain/justice torque
ears= bushinomimi/brutal
body= haubergen(+1 if afford)/askar/kirin osode
hands= hachiman/af+1/alky's/ochi/bando's/usukane
rings= rajas/ecphoria/snipers/woodsman/flame
back= amemet mantle(+1 if afford)/foragers
belt= swift/veloc/warwolf
legs= byakko/af+1/shura/usukane/askar/barb
feet= hachi/usukane/sarut/fuma's/rutter's

depending on what you are aiming for or the situation you are preparing for your gear may change a bit. for ex: if you are using soboro haste might be more benificial than a six hit since the 2-3 proc kicks in pretty nicely. as per using a gkt like hagun for ex having a six hit with some haste may benifit you more. it's really up to you and and what you might be aiming for... but for your lvl your gear set looks fine. ditch the o.kote/bounding boots and get some hachi for those slots. when you get higher then the gear list i put up can be benificial.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-11-10 12:15:37
Link | Quote | Reply

With the exception of Haste turban instead of the Mog hat, my profile shows my ideal TP-build setup. If I had my choice, I would have a Velocious instead, plus Usukane feet, but I don't play anymore and those weren't available last time I did.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2008-11-10 12:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

can check my equip sets for decent (not great) sam setups

as far as lvl 70 goes

Weapon: Soboro
Grip : Plat +1
Ammo : Smart Gern / Tiphia
Head : O hat
Neck : Pcc / CC
Ear : Few choices here, but a combination of Merman's/Minuet
(w/brd)/Fowling/Diabolo
Body : Haub (+1)
Hand : O kote
Ring : Rajas always / Acc ring Woods/Sniper/Ulthaman/Eco/Jag
Back : Amemet +1
Waist : Life or Potent over Swift/Speed at this lvl imo since not really much other haste to stack with
Legs : Ryl Knights Breeches / AF
Feet : Bounding / Leaping should be fine unless you really want to try haste and combine Fuma with a haste belt
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [93 days between previous and next post]
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2009-02-11 15:14:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmm, Yeah this is an old topic, and my SAM is already 75, but I was looking into more str+ gear for WSing. I was wondering which would be better: Myochin kabuto+1(HP+13 STR+5 MND+5 Enhances "Warding Circle/Meditate") vs. Shura kabuto(HP-25 STR+5 Acc+5). This would be macrod in for WSing. The price value between the two is a biggie, which is why I am asking. ~10k(Since I have left over ABCs from Limbus) vs. 385-400k(Plus the time it takes to acquire the Dryadic abjuration). My current WS setup can be viewed here SAM WS GEAR and my WS setup can be viewed here SAM TP GEAR. And can I please get serious answers and nothing like what Orphanos posted that would take years upon years for me to obtain(No offense, Orphanos.)

Thanksāˆž,
Triet
 Garuda.Amara
Server: Garuda
user: Amara
By Garuda.Amara 2009-02-13 05:02:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You can drop the Hachi hands on your TP set and get Dusk Gloves instead. You will still maintain a 6-hit build, just swing a bit faster.

As for the head question, -1 inventory going with the Myochin Kabuto+1, and according to Ironguy and lots of discussion on the wiki forums, 2-handed ws have an acc bonus of a lot, so the +5 acc from the Shura wouldn't be needed.
 Unicorn.Sedres
Server: Unicorn
user: Sedres
By Unicorn.Sedres 2009-02-13 07:28:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Weapon: Gold Musketeer's Uchigatana (Get a Hagun, it's well worth it. Failing that, Soboro/Ushikimaru/Onimaru)

Grip: Pole Grip (Good)

Ranged: Smart Grenade(ATTK+4) (Good)

Head: Optical Hat/Sipahi Turban (Fine for now, consider Walahra Turban/Wyvern helm at 75)

Neck: Chivalrous Chain (Fine for now, consider PCC/Justice torque later on)
Earring(s): Coral Earring/Spike Earring (Not bad, but Fowling/Bushinomimi/Triumph are better for WS, invest in a Brutal if you're able to).

Body: Haubergeon (Good piece to full time, might want to consider Osode for WS, or Haub +1)

Hands: Horomusha Kote (Drop these for Hachiman Kote, for your 6 hit build. After that you've gotten your sTP merits you should consider Dusk Gloves)

Ring(s): Ecphoria Ring/Rajas Ring (Not bad, get a second STR ring for WS)

Back: Amemet Mantle +1 (Only real improvements for this are Foragers/Cerb +1

Waist: Potent Belt (Get a life belt or swift belt for TP, get a Warwolf Belt for WS)

Legs: SAM AFv1(These are fine, might want to try the Fourth Division 68 legs, upgrade to AF+1 from Limbus, or sky for Shura Haidate)

Feet: Leaping Boots (Hachiman Sune-Ate to help with your 6 hit build. After sTP merits, could consider Fumas for TP and Rutters/Askar/potential RSE pieces for WS, unless your 6 hit build relies on you full timing Hachiman)
 Asura.Endelig
Server: Asura
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-02-13 08:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ushikirimaru is better than soboro and onimaru at 75.
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
Server: Bahamut
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2009-02-13 13:15:00
Link | Quote | Reply

@ 75sam Chiv chain>Peakcock Charm, say what you want but its the truth. Sobro is still a good choise, Its parces just about same in a merit pt as a hagun. Just work on biulding STR+ Gear for weaponskills (STR first then attack)

Since you have B heidate already, start biulding up your haste setup, dont stress to much about acc, you will hit alot.
 Asura.Farmdog
Server: Asura
user: Farmdog
By Asura.Farmdog 2009-02-13 14:18:40
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.myffxigear.kicks-***.org

Great site for viewing and comparing gear rankings. Works for any job/race ect.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-02-13 15:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

2 things before I launch into the Hagun rant, for which I will inevitably be flamed down.
1. Make your own gear choices based on what you want to do with your SAM. Most people listing off the equipment you absolutely must have are jaded forum trolls.
2. lol @ Onimaru being touted as top-notch in any capacity.

If you have to buy, but don't want to sell your kidneys for Hagun, Shinsoku. Ushikirmaru if you want, but I'll take the 3 STR over 2 base damage and enmity+.

My opinion on Hagun is it's mainly for ego polishing. I've had a couple friends sell the majority of their gear from jobs other than SAM to buy Hagun, then be sorely disappointed that it isn't the game-balance-destroying piece that everyone makes it out to be. I don't deny that when someone lends me their Hagun that my WS damage moves up a notch, but I already have what I would consider to be the ideal set for WS, [sans 1 or 2 other ego-polish pieces] and already pull hate off Hagun SAMs with my Shinsoku. I could sell my good WAR and MNK gear to furnish me with the gil to buy a Hagun, but then I'd probably quit the game because I want to play jobs other than SAM once in awhile.

Hagun is the icing on the cake, but do you want to take a bite if the base cake is an old kitchen sponge?
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-13 16:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry crazy galak but hagun really is that good. HOWEVER! people need to realize that hagun doesn't make a crappy sam good. The better the rest of your gear is, the better hagun performs. A 6 hit / sudo haste build is required for hagun to shine, as is a respectable ws set. 1300~1500 gekko's on kirin @ 100tp don't lie. The tp bonus to sam ws is just too great for any other gkt (sans futsuno/amano) to keep up. IF you are saving 300 tp then oni/ushi/shin are tech better for the higher base / other stats, but WTF is anyone saving 300 for, for any reason. Also Oni >>>>>>>>> ushi or shin
 Leviathan.Webjester
Server: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-02-13 16:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Currently here's what I use (if you wanted another $0.02)

Main: Ushikirimaru
Grip: Pole Grip

TP:

Head: Walahara Turban
Neck: PCC
Ear1: Brutal
Ear2: Bushinomi
Body: Hauby
Hand: Ochimusha Kote
Ring: Rajas
Ring: Woodsman
Back: Amemet +1
Belt: Life
Legs: R.K. Breeches
Feet: Hachiman

STR WS:

Head: Wyvern Helm
Neck: Spike
Ear1: Brutal
Ear2: Bushinomi
Body: K.Osode
Hand: Pallas
Ring: Rajas
Ring: Victory
Back: Amemet +1
Belt: Warwolf
Legs: R.K. Breeches
Feet: Taru RSE2

Gear I still want to get to improve:

Askar Head/Body, Byakko Haidate, Shura Haidate, Hachiryu Haidate, Dusk Hands, Swift Belt, Fuma Sune-ate, and eventually Hagun. For now Soboro/Ushikirimaru are fine. I'll probably look into Shin/Oni.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-02-13 16:41:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Sorry crazy galak but hagun really is that good. HOWEVER! people need to realize that hagun doesn't make a crappy sam good. The better the rest of your gear is, the better hagun performs. A 6 hit / sudo haste build is required for hagun to shine, as is a respectable ws set. 1300~1500 gekko's on kirin @ 100tp don't lie. The tp bonus to sam ws is just too great for any other gkt (sans futsuno/amano) to keep up. IF you are saving 300 tp then oni/ushi/shin are tech better for the higher base / other stats, but WTF is anyone saving 300 for, for any reason. Also Oni >>>>>>>>> ushi or shin and oh god I love men

I'm SO murdering you the next time your *** gets charmed. :/
 Caitsith.Tanith
Server: Caitsith
user: tanith
By Caitsith.Tanith 2009-02-13 17:02:45
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread has had some pretty terrible responses and some decent ones. So hopefully I can help clarify some stuff.

The most important thing for a 75 SAM is to first attain that 6 hit build. Don't put any haste %+ gear in any slots until you've done that. After you've obtained a solid 6 hit build whether its via merits and gear or simply gear alone then you want to start stacking haste +% and ACC gear into all your other available slots.

Never under estimate the power of Haste, but additionally if you aren't parsing 90% hit rate you are missing too much and need additional accuracy to improve both your damage over time and weaponskill damage potential.

If you aren't going 8/8 GKT merits I would stack more acc rather than haste until the 90% hit rate, in some of the marginal slots, but with full merits and decent gear you should be able to eat meat for most merit party mobs and be alright.

In terms of Great Katana's the most realistic ones to obtain could be ranked: Hagun > Onimaru > Ushi > anything else. Each point of base damage is going to act around +4-6 STR so theres no way that Shinsoku compares to Onimaru and Ushi. And Onimaru and Ushi do not compare to a net 100-200 damage w/ each additional WS that Hagun gains for you. Soboro is difficult to rank because its really situational, in a merit party the added damage over time and additional weaponskills could potentially add up to a greater damage than Onimaru and Ushi and potentially Hagun its just difficult to effectively utilize all the TP that it generates and more often than not you will be sitting on "wasted" TP. And as for other events the Monster's tp gain from Soboro often makes it an impractical weapon to use.

Typically its much easier to gear a Samurai via the AH than it is some other jobs and thats usually why your average samurai does more damage than other "average" jobs. But in terms of potential gear off that AH and easily obtained items here is what you should shoot for.

TP Set
Hagun
Pole Grip
Lighting Bow +1 or Tiphia Sting
Askar Zucchetto or W. Turban
Peacock Charm or Spectacles or C. Chain (only if it makes or breaks your 6 hit)
Brutal Earring
Bushinomimi or Fowling Earring or Minuet Earring
Haubergeon (+1)
Hachiman Gloves or Dusk Gloves (Depending on how you obtain your 6 hit)
Sniper's +1/Toreadors or Snipers or Woodsman or Ecphoria (if it makes or breaks your 6 hit)
Rajas Ring (a must if you are a dedicated samurai)
Forager's or Amemet Mantle +1
Swift Belt or Life Belt or Potent Belt
Byakko's Haidate, R.K Breeches, Shura Haidate, Shin Haidate (only for 6 hit and putting haste/acc into other slots)
Fuma's or Hachiman Boots or Enkidu's Leggings (Depending on how you obtain your 6 hit)

WS Set
Hagun
Pole Grip
Lightning Bow +1 or Sachet (if you used tiphia sting)
Shura Kabuto, Askar Zucchetto, Wvyern Helm
Sea Gorget (Very very important as it significantly boosts acc and damage)
Brutal
Bushi, Fowling or Minuet
Haubergeon (+1) or Askar Korazin
Enkidu's Mittens, Myochin Kote +1, Hachiman Gloves (Screw gigas bracelets too much of an acc hit without SA)
Flame Ring or Ruby Ring
Rajas Ring
Forager's Mantle, Amemet +1
Warwolf Belt, Potent Belt
Shura Haidate, Myochin Haidate +1, Enkidu's Subligar, R.K Breeches,
Rutter Sabatons, Askar Gambieras, Hachiman Boots (Depends on how you keep your 6 hit)

Really my best advice is not to ask for advice here on FFXIAH but to go somewhere like BG's Standard Advice thread, you are going to get a lot more reliable sources without the unecessary flaming and impractical advice. Best of luck with your Samurai!
 Midgardsormr.Lilya
user: Lilya
By Midgardsormr.Lilya 2009-02-13 17:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Tanith I <3 <3 <3 you so much! Also, dont' forget AF+1 helm for ws also, as it can save an inventory slot vs say wyrven helm.

In regards to the soboro vs hagun argument, I believe a search of the bg forums as u suggest will provide you with several posts outlining the math of hagun always beating soboro. Not considering /dnc or /rng of course.

Don't forget smart gernade as a ws option if your using sting also, if your rse sachet doesn't not provide useful stats.
 Midgardsormr.Lilya
user: Lilya
By Midgardsormr.Lilya 2009-02-13 17:24:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammitch said:
Frobeus said:
Sorry crazy galak but hagun really is that good. HOWEVER! people need to realize that hagun doesn't make a crappy sam good. The better the rest of your gear is, the better hagun performs. A 6 hit / sudo haste build is required for hagun to shine, as is a respectable ws set. 1300~1500 gekko's on kirin @ 100tp don't lie. The tp bonus to sam ws is just too great for any other gkt (sans futsuno/amano) to keep up. IF you are saving 300 tp then oni/ushi/shin are tech better for the higher base / other stats, but WTF is anyone saving 300 for, for any reason. Also Oni &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ushi or shin and oh god I love men

I'm SO murdering you the next time your *** gets charmed. :/ Now, I'll take my galak slave butt back to the mines :/

I'll prob have killed myself already, since I'll be the one tanking when the orc decides to charmga.

Edit: This is Frobeus ; ; didn't realize wife had auto log on - -
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-02-13 18:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

As SAM I use my STR setup and that's it. I really don't have the money/space/desire to camp NMs to use anything other than what I do.

In order, I use Hagun, Axe Grip, Shigeto Bow*, Wyvern Helm**, C.Chain, Fowling Earring, Bushinomimi, Hachiman Domaru, Hachiman Kote**, Ruby Ring, Rajas Ring, Amemet +1, Potent Belt, Hachiman Hakama***, and Hachiman Sune-Ate

*When pulling, I switch to a low-delay bow in a futile attempt to compete with BRD monopolization of mobs.

** I switch to AF/Relic equipment that enhances Meditate whenever I use Meditate.

*** I switch pants between offensive and defensive modes. My Seigan macro equips my Relic pants and my Hasso macro equips Hachiman Hakama.

I don't play SAM the conventional way. I like to /THF because of the evasion it gives, and I try to keep my equipment swaps to a minimum. But this works for me. I would advise a Shinsoku if you can't get a Hagun, but I highly recommend you make the effort to get a Hagun because it will pay off in the end.

As far as merits I took 5/5 Third Eye over Store TP. A 25 sec Third Eye recast can and will save your life.

In the end do what you want to with your job. Don't take anything that anyone tells you here as gospel. I never cared for all this haste and parse and dam/sec mumbo jumbo that I keep seeing. I play for fun, which for me doesn't include memorizing damage formulas or camping NMs for 2+ hours. It's your job, you leveled it. Play it how you feel comfortable.
First Page 2 3