First Page 2
 Siren.Ashkente
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2010-01-16 11:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

A question for you 'veteran' BLU's:
"How do you do your part to help BLU from becoming the next loljob? Is it purely a case of educating other Blue Mages to suck less, or is the deck stacked against the job by public perception and/or lack of support by SE?"

I've met many people across my travels through several servers who recognise that BLU75 -can- be a juggernaut of versatility, but they all still perceive the job as one step away from becoming "lolblu".
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-16 11:22:55
Link | Quote | Reply

People think of blu as lol? Really most people I know like blu. It's crazy good
[+]
 Phoenix.Ingraham
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-01-16 11:28:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I made my way into an endgame LS that actually had BLU as one of their top priority jobs. Had to take that chance.

I guess you just gotta convince the higher-ups that BLU can do stuff beyond auto-attacking and casting the Big Three or something.
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-01-16 11:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ashkente said:
How do you do your part to help BLU from becoming the next loljob?
Its kind of too late...

Also...you arent a lolblu imo if you dont QQ/getbutthurt/etc. when someone says lolblu.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-16 11:46:54
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU has been a loljob pretty much since it was released, because it's such a hard job to do well. Every BLU I've had in a standard party to date is using like Immortal's scimitar at LV70 and like Assault Jerkin and crap. But then there's just Homam/Morrigan's BLUs at 75 that just blow any other job out of the water. Your perception of the job I guess depends on what you're doing the most often. BLU is an easy job to half-*** in parties since no one really cares about your damage lol.
[+]
 Siren.Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2010-01-16 11:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ludoggy said:
Its kind of too late...

Also...you arent a lolblu imo if you dont QQ/getbutthurt/etc. when someone says lolblu.

Good answer, being able to be comfortable in your own knowledge is probably 60% of the battle.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-16 12:03:17
Link | Quote | Reply

My experience from partying with BLU's is that they are great DD's. However, it does get kind of annoying when ppl invite them without having refresher in party, or with a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE RDM that think that BLU dont need refresh.

As long as they are refreshed and dont have to sit thru half the battle and rest for MP, they're great imo ^^
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-16 12:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
BLU has been a loljob pretty much since it was released, because it's such a hard job to do well. Every BLU I've had in a standard party to date is using like Immortal's scimitar at LV70 and like Assault Jerkin and crap.
Are you serious? Wtf
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-16 12:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Enternius said:
BLU has been a loljob pretty much since it was released, because it's such a hard job to do well. Every BLU I've had in a standard party to date is using like Immortal's scimitar at LV70 and like Assault Jerkin and crap.
Are you serious? Wtf
Had a BLU party leader at LV62 on Colibri. He was using full AF, Immortal's Scimitar/WARP CUDGEL Just to get the DW bonus.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-16 12:36:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Are you serious? Wtf
Had a BLU party leader at LV62 on Colibri. He was using full AF, Immortal's Scimitar/WARP CUDGEL Just to get the DW bonus.
That is just wow. And I'm not even talking about the part where he should be /thf anyways... wow
 Siren.Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2010-01-16 12:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

That's a lolplayer, not a lolblu.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-16 12:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Ashkente said:
That's a lolplayer, not a lolblu.
Even so, BLU is one of the jobs that's reallllly easy to get wrong. Granted, he probably had 0 gil the whole time he leveled BLU but that's not my point. BLU has so many different spells with so many different mods and it's easy to just say "Whatever I'll cast in my TP gear"
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-16 12:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well if your tp gear is homam and its not CA especially multihit spells with uncapped acc in stat gear with spells with low stat mods... you can do comparable dmg. Sometimes more. Assuming your tp gear is pretty good though lol. Ya know homam, cuch mantle rajas good swds etc
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-16 13:17:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
People think of blu as lol?
As a DD, for the most part yes. Limbus, meriting, lv'ing otw to 75, ect. Comes into play when there's rly high defense stuff that you SACA cannonball, but back out of play on zergable ***.

Has it's fair standing in support, when played that way.

The main reason though is most of the don't know how to gear worth a ***, like fulltiming homam head, for example.

While I personally know a GOOD blu can be very useful, a good blu isn't very common, so unless I know them personally, I'll pass on inviting one for anything.
[+]
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-01-16 13:40:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Found this quote from the Wiki forums, hope it helps.

Yvonne said:
The biggest misconception about BLUs is that they're crappy DDs. To an extent, I have to agree, but it's not like the job has a user's manual after unlocking the job. In large, the user base of BLUs just don't know what the hell they're doing when given the chance to use it in large scale events. Every time I see a BLU, it's always Big 3 this, Cannonball that. All those moves have their own place and time. This is all wrong and a BLU should always do their best to maintain and lock down mobs. Headbutt is insanely powerful and with the right merits, gear, and timing, makes any mob look like a joke.
Yvonne said:
A common mistake is seeing a BLU just open up with one of the "Big 3" spells. The other DDs will out damage you, no matter what and given the huge volume of mobs, it's just a waste of MP competing against buffed out beat sticks. First priority is keeping the mob locked and stopping all of it's TP moves after flashing/stunning/debuffing the group of pulled mobs.

EDIT: Added a second quote. Both of these quotes were in response to BLU in events.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-16 14:45:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Found this quote from the Wiki forums, hope it helps.

Yvonne said:
The biggest misconception about BLUs is that they're crappy DDs. To an extent, I have to agree, but it's not like the job has a user's manual after unlocking the job. In large, the user base of BLUs just don't know what the hell they're doing when given the chance to use it in large scale events. Every time I see a BLU, it's always Big 3 this, Cannonball that. All those moves have their own place and time. This is all wrong and a BLU should always do their best to maintain and lock down mobs. Headbutt is insanely powerful and with the right merits, gear, and timing, makes any mob look like a joke.
Yvonne said:
A common mistake is seeing a BLU just open up with one of the "Big 3" spells. The other DDs will out damage you, no matter what and given the huge volume of mobs, it's just a waste of MP competing against buffed out beat sticks. First priority is keeping the mob locked and stopping all of it's TP moves after flashing/stunning/debuffing the group of pulled mobs.

EDIT: Added a second quote. Both of these quotes were in response to BLU in events.
Sums it up nicely. Learn how to play the job to its fullest and lead by example. You can't necessarily do anything about the people who gave the job a "lol" stigma, but you can show that BLU is by no means a loljob.
[+]
 Remora.Abriel
Server: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-16 20:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's already been stated, but blu doesn't do very well untill you maximize most of you gear and know what you're doing which can take a ton of work. it's a very gear reliant job, even with the best of skill and know how it's hard to do well without the gear backing you up.

being able to do what the job can do isn't very impressive when compared to what it can do with maximized gear. it's almost like there's 3 different tiers of blue mage; your basic no-skill gimp, your skilled or geared player, then you skilled and geared player, each version is noticeably stronger than the last.

I'm not saying you can't do well with decent gear, but some of the best pieces are on a different level than anything the next step down.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-16 21:40:27
Link | Quote | Reply

As a career lolblu, I just wanna say that it IS a lol job. It's a bit like lolpup and loldrg. A good pup can out-do a blm in nuking, and I've seen drg/blu do some amazing things.

Blu, as much as any job really, is capable of some amazing things. But the majority of players turn it into a joke.

I personally couldn't give a crap what people think of blu, I enjoy playing it and do it well. I usually go rdm to events now that I have it levelled, but I can still tear up most events my shell does on blu if I feel like it.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-01-16 22:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

LMAO @ lolblu I think people come up with ***just to hate or they never played or seen the job played to its full potential. Blu is so far from lol Blu can out DD most jobs Tank and main heal a full prty. The job has all the traits of most jobs in the game,acc bonus def bonus evas bonus ect... you can even set spells that give you rapid shot trait. Blu is almost equal to a rdm. almost i said. :0 Its like a rdm that can DD. Basically its a jack of all trades DD and if played correctly it can out perform most jobs. But yes it takes skill to play blu its not a auto attack save tp ws job.

lolblu the nerve of these fukerz.........
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-16 22:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people perceive BLU as primarily a DD, because that's what the majority of BLUs (attempt) to do -- deal as much damage as they can. Many times this is just done the wrong way, like stated before (big three spam, etc.)

There's just so much more to the job than meets the eye, though, and a good BLU will do everything they can to flourish.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-16 23:45:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kalico said:
LMAO @ lolblu I think people come up with ***just to hate or they never played or seen the job played to its full potential. Blu is so far from lol Blu can out DD most jobs Tank and main heal a full prty. The job has all the traits of most jobs in the game,acc bonus def bonus evas bonus ect... you can even set spells that give you rapid shot trait. Blu is almost equal to a rdm. almost i said. :0 Its like a rdm that can DD. Basically its a jack of all trades DD and if played correctly it can out perform most jobs. But yes it takes skill to play blu its not a auto attack save tp ws job.

Sorry, but did you say blu is almost equal to a rdm? Rdm is infinitely more valuable than blue if you're playing the support role of blu. More potent haste, more potent slow, better mp management, more potent enfeebles, ect.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-16 23:52:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
better mp management

I thought it was determined that BLU cures are more efficient than normal cures, particularly when /WHM or /SCH better yet, and they can get 2 auto refresh easier than RDM.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2010-01-17 00:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

As far as pure healing goes, BLU destroys RDM. A well geared-for-healing BLU can pump out Magic Fruits of 530-550. However, it's all those things that go with the healing job that hurts BLU (e.g. inability to keep Haste up 100% of the time; however, the fact that it can period gives it the edge over say SCH for a last resort healer.)

BLUs enfeebles are not varied by potency so technically BLU is a better enfeebler until 75 when RDM's merited enfeebles are attained (e.g. Filamented Hold is 25% Slow as soon as it is attained, regardless of MND) Also, BLU has enfeebles that either RDM does not get or will stack nicely with RDM for supplementary debuffing (Frightful Roar, Infrasonics, etc.)

As far as DoTs go, BLU can inflict 50 HP/tick with as little as two spells (albeit Cold Wave doesn't last terribly long).

BLU can really do a lot, there's just not a whole lot where it is definitively the best. That said, it is an amazing job for lowman events and Salvage; as soon as the BLU's magic is unlocked, you have DD, healing, enfeebling, buffing.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-17 00:16:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
better mp management

I thought it was determined that BLU cures are more efficient than normal cures, particularly when /WHM or /SCH better yet, and they can get 2 auto refresh easier than RDM.
Have to factor in that whoever your support target is will be taking less damage with the more potent slow on the mob and more potent haste on the player, which means they will take less damage overall and require less healing to begin with.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-17 00:18:33
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not really sure if you can argue that many jobs able to use magic, other than sch, have better mp management than blu. using the right spells for the task they can match/get more dmg/mp than blm, aoe sleeps are cheaper, cures are much more mp efficient even w/o using a staff, the only area they get beaten is with certain debuffs which are additional effects in most cases any way.
By Azulmagia 2010-01-17 00:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Abriel said:
I'm not really sure if you can argue that many jobs able to use magic, other than sch, have better mp management than blu. using the right spells for the task they can match/get more dmg/mp than blm, aoe sleeps are cheaper, cures are much more mp efficient even w/o using a staff, the only area they get beaten is with certain debuffs which are additional effects in most cases any way.

BLU's sleeps aren't all that convenient, the AoE is terrible as you have to pretty much be within melee (aka get beat up) range to use them. BLM is best practical sleeper, but what BLM can't sleep BLU usually fills in with light sleeps that last longer than Lullaby.

(Stupidly enough, Lullaby will overwrite both Sheep Song and Yawn.)
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-01-17 00:25:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Odin.Kalico said:

Sorry, but did you say blu is almost equal to a rdm? Rdm is infinitely more valuable than blue if you're playing the support role of blu. More potent haste, more potent slow, better mp management, more potent enfeebles, ect.
Kalico is Odins (all of FFXI's?) biggest lolblu, I wouldn't take too much notice of him.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2010-01-17 00:33:25
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, sleeps aren't always as convenient as as other's, but they do get the job done, rather well too.

playing crowd control in dyn-xarc isn't too tough as blu with the right build. the sleeps work awesome for first tier crowds and are rarely resisted by the higher tier demons. with larger crowds it's easy to amp up your hate and hold them indefinatly so long as you're getting sleep support, damage taken is laughable 'till you get more than 7 of the higher tier demons whacking on you at the same time (it hurts a lot even w/ def food+cocoon, sporting max -%damage gear, trust me lol).
 Phoenix.Zeotah
Server: Phoenix
user: Zeota
By Phoenix.Zeotah 2010-02-11 08:34:17
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU/WAR in Einherjar is quite interesting. With cocoon, defender, -PDT gear and defense food you can take a lot of punishment. BLU is definitely a tactical job and requires a bit of thought on the player's part. A BLU that knows what it's doing in terms of gear and skill can do great things. Trying to half-*** it though will cause one's performance to suffer. Sure they won't beat out a 2-hander on raw damage output or outnuke a BLM, but the job wasn't built for that. In my case, given the option, if I feel like smacking stuff around in a particular event I'll just jump on DRG or SAM. If I'm on BLU in things like dynamis or limbus, I find I get much more for my MP by saving damage spells for when I can solo SC or just CA vertical cleave if I know I can close darkness on the back of another person's WS. A good BLU also understands its limitations and knows how to adapt to a particular situation.
By Sierran 2010-02-11 10:49:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Blu is a DD which applies Support via consistant spamming of Headbutt to stun the mob.

If your not spamming head butt as soon as the recast timer is up
your a poor blu.

The spamming of headbutt does lower you output damage by a noticable amount but it is a more then acceptable trade off.

/thf offers massive damage in HNM and Gods. I use Cannonball for DI and i have managed a 1.9k Vertical Cleave on JOL
/nin in nyzul and limbus where you do rock.

Blus need to push for Relic body as it makes a big difference easily making you 25% more efficient.

If your exping on Colibri for the love of god use BA+MP Drainkiss.
First Page 2