This Game Is Supposed To Be Fun.. Right?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » This Game is Supposed To Be Fun.. Right?
This Game is Supposed To Be Fun.. Right?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-22 14:40:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Rwgun said:
Odin.Kalico said:
Fyi Im selling Christmas ***logs and a few other items on the list
Pm me with your orders WU only.

Christmas ***logs $50
Christmas ***sandwich on wheat $20 w/corn $25
Christmas ***ball wedge W/cheese $30
(footlong w assortment of christmas color corn)

Mr. Hankey?

Hades.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-12-22 15:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Chimeran said:
I'm still p!ssed about being main healer all of the time as RDM. YES RDM are DD's ... they have a B in sword and dagger and a C- in healing!!!!!!! Get the d@mn SCH to do it! At least their skills are a B with light arts in healing. /end rant
Lol.
Skill caps have nothing to do with if a job can DD.
No, RDM cant DD, even if we have B in sword and dagger:P
Or well, we can deal dmg, but we cant compare to the real dds, so it would just be a waste of party-space.
And, if you dont understand why rdm -> sch in parties as a healer, lol.
 Odin.Kalico
Server: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2009-12-22 15:36:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Kvazz said:
Lakshmi.Chimeran said:
I'm still p!ssed about being main healer all of the time as RDM. YES RDM are DD's ... they have a B in sword and dagger and a C- in healing!!!!!!! Get the d@mn SCH to do it! At least their skills are a B with light arts in healing. /end rant
Lol. Skill caps have nothing to do with if a job can DD. No, RDM cant DD, even if we have B in sword and dagger:P Or well, we can deal dmg, but we cant compare to the real dds, so it would just be a waste of party-space. And, if you dont understand why rdm -> sch in parties as a healer, lol.

Note: RDM sword can go from B to A+ w suppa and 8/8 sword merits. also Rdm is not a better main heal than sch period. A Brd and sch in a prty will do better than a rdm sch in a prty imo. I'm not saying Rdm cannot perform as a great main heal just sch can do it better. I've been in some serious xp prtys with sch like lv 65+ and they were exceptional and would always be my 1st choice for a main healer. Also remember that refresh does not stack w sch sublm so the sch brd team up is ideal.
[+]
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-12-22 15:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kalico said:
Hades.Kvazz said:
Lakshmi.Chimeran said:
Lol. Skill caps have nothing to do with if a job can DD. No, RDM cant DD, even if we have B in sword and dagger:P Or well, we can deal dmg, but we cant compare to the real dds, so it would just be a waste of party-space. And, if you dont understand why rdm -> sch in parties as a healer, lol.

Note: RDM sword can go from B to A w suppa and 8/8 sword merits. also Rdm is not a better main heal than sch period. A Brd and sch in a prty will do better than a rdm sch in a prty imo. I'm not saying Rdm cannot perform as a great main heal just sch can do it better. I've been in some serious xp prtys with sch like lv 65 and they were exceptional and would always be my 1st choice for a main healer. Also remember that refresh does not stack w sch sublm so the sch brd team up is ideal.

lol.
Rdm + brd -> sch + brd
Rdm have haste, sch dont.
rdm -> sch
[+]
 Bahamut.Paulus
Server: Bahamut
user: Paulus
By Bahamut.Paulus 2009-12-22 15:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

This is my Bible.
There is no other Book before it.
I shall follow it's Teachings.
Even if persecution comes, I will meet it head on.

2005 ideas FTW!
[+]
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-12-22 16:02:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Paulus said:

This is my Bible.
There is no other Book before it.
I shall follow it's Teachings.
Even if persecution comes, I will meet it head on.

2005 ideas FTW!
haha:P wish i could say the same, but eventually one just learns that it's not the most effective things to do xD
 Caitsith.Soulz
Server: Caitsith
user: Soulz
By Caitsith.Soulz 2009-12-22 16:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

exp parties= not for fun!!! see you went sam/rng trying to have some fun which would drop max exp 1k/hr atleast. but hey guess what the rdm saw that ***and he was like i wana nuke something i'm bored! thf saw that he stoped TAWS tank! why wasting tp on a weak WS? just SA the damn thing it's more "fun"... now exp droped 4k/hr atleast with all the resting and stuff... o wait whm got too much hate. she's dead! hmmm.. she forgot RR coz she was having fun!!!
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-12-22 16:48:55
Link | Quote | Reply

This game stopped being "fun" for the most part when nerds started creating applications for linkshells. It's a *** game, not a job interview. I don't want to spend 6 unpaid hours a night waiting for an imaginary dinosaur to materialize.

[+]
 Fairy.Usua
Server: Fairy
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2009-12-22 18:51:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I tell people to pay my bill, then I'll play their way.
Funny thing is they talk ***about my subjobs but I am usually doing the most dmg in the pt, and the guys who talk ***normally don't even have drk lvl'd.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-22 19:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Sketchkat said:
This game stopped being "fun" for the most part when nerds started creating applications for linkshells. It's a *** game, not a job interview. I don't want to spend 6 unpaid hours a night waiting for an imaginary dinosaur to materialize.

Would you prefer they just took absolutely anyone?

You get paid with drops, in return you provide steadfast support to your linkshell. It's a co-operative community based on teamwork and even one wrong person can cause disharmony or in extreme cases even lead to a shell breaking.

There is nothing wrong with ensuring that people in your linkshell will fit in and are up to standards.
[+]
 Asura.Hit
Server: Asura
user: FFXIHit
By Asura.Hit 2009-12-22 19:13:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Akuma said:
I've been playing FFXI for a long while now and I've noticed alot of people talking about what's the best for this and what's best for that... why not just let people play how they want to play? It's a game and everyone should be able to have fun and play how they want not how others want them to play. I honestly believe that too many people are stuck in the mind set of "this has to be done this way". I know I ran into this problem many times lvl'ing my war, I ended up tanking most of the time from 12-75, but if I wasn't tanking I was that weird war that always had to see what kind of damage I could do with different weapons and tried to cap everything. The point was to have fun and I think alot of people have forgotten that. Maybe I'm just getting to where I need to retire from this game, but I think people need to stop thinking about themselves and think about others and just enjoy making friends. Am I wrong?

Just reading the OP and none of the other pages lol.

I'd say just because of the sheer age of the game everything has been reduced to the bare numbers. Everybody and their mother knows the best weapon to use on the weakest exp mobs to get the most exp per hour so you can max out your job and... level ANOTHER JOB!!??

Yeah ppl have lost sight of the fact that it's a game.. but it's an mmo, this kind of thinking has to be expected I guess. The only thing to do really is play how you want and try to ignore the guys trying to ***in your cup. If you can.

Valefor.Sketchkat
Server: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-12-22 19:34:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Would you prefer they just took absolutely anyone?

You get paid with drops, in return you provide steadfast support to your linkshell. It's a co-operative community based on teamwork and even one wrong person can cause disharmony or in extreme cases even lead to a shell breaking.

There is nothing wrong with ensuring that people in your linkshell will fit in and are up to standards.

You make it sound like running a business, which is usually the opposite of fun. It's stressful and time-consuming, just like a hardcore endgame linkshell.

The difference is if you succeed in business, your real life gets better. If you succeed in an endgame linkshell, your real life gets worse.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-22 19:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

While this may be true, this is the most effective way to run a more hardcore endgame linkshell, and the application process is a necessary screening process.

The endgame linkshells most people are interested in generally have a much looser application system which basically consists of "don't suck, and don't be an ***".
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
Server: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2009-12-22 20:03:46
Link | Quote | Reply

People have their ways of enjoying the game.
Sometimes people enjoy camping and fighting HNMs, others prefer to soro, others prefer to craft, others prefer to laugh at other people's gear, etc.
They're just their ways of enjoying the game.
Some people prefer to not farm money for gear, which leads to ¨elitists¨ criticizing them and eventually whining.
As for the ¨But it's my RL money, I do what I want!¨; Don't forget that other people are also paying the same amount of money, and so does the whole party, linkshell, etc.
[+]
 Garuda.Hiroichirou
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Hiroichirou 2009-12-22 20:34:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Soulz said:
exp parties= not for fun!!! see you went sam/rng trying to have some fun which would drop max exp 1k/hr atleast. but hey guess what the rdm saw that ***and he was like i wana nuke something i'm bored! thf saw that he stoped TAWS tank! why wasting tp on a weak WS? just SA the damn thing it's more "fun"... now exp droped 4k/hr atleast with all the resting and stuff... o wait whm got too much hate. she's dead! hmmm.. she forgot RR coz she was having fun!!!

as sam/rng i used to gear switch between melee and sidewinder gear also i had full GK + archery merits ,as ironic as it may sound when i hit caedarva mire, or wajaom, when i spammed sidewinder you couldn't keep birds off me, oh and i only used sam/rng after i got sidewinder and merited GK + archery ^_^ i used to have efficient fun ~_^.
[+]
 Leviathan.Ashitaka
Server: Leviathan
user: Ashitaka
By Leviathan.Ashitaka 2009-12-22 20:46:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Game stopped being fun when my account got hacked.... oh wait it still is. But seriously... I still have a lot of fun. The only things that suck are as some people said, LS drama and fighting over gear/drops. Social Ls's are the best.
 Hades.Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-22 20:54:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What I'm finding funny is all the negative ratings on comments that aren't even all that offensive and are factual.
 Diabolos.Vendi
Server: Diabolos
user: Vendi
By Diabolos.Vendi 2009-12-22 21:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll more than likely get rated down for this..

But what I get from the OP is that he's just one of those ppl with nothing but excuses for why things aren't going the way they want in game.

I know plenty of ppl that are in the military and have families and they some how find the time to get decent to great gear. Odds are, if your getting criticized for your playing its because, well... theirs a problem with your playing! Simply put. I don't mean to be mean, but eventually, with time, ppl get to a point where they 'hope' for a certain caliber of player because they don't want to struggle on things they know they shouldn't be.

A few have said, each job serves a somewhat specific role. The reason it's this way is because that's where the job is proficient at. Why intentionally make yourself worse, thus making you look lame and annoying others. What you claim as being fun will ultimately become counter productive and make you alienate others into not wanting to play with you. Try having fun when no one wants you in their parties.

Recently, I've come across 3 of the same ppl in two parties over the last couple days. I plan to try and avoid these 3 ppl because they dont even try at attempting at gearing properly. I'm no elitist and i dont expect ppl to have the very best, but come on, their comes a time when ppl just dont even try at all. When a pt is only doing 3k/hr at lvl56 against colibris its not very fun. I can do better in campaign. Theirs nothing fun about knowing your wasting your time. I would think YOU.. a person with very little time on his hands would understand that key concept.

I bet, if I was in your pt and I decided to play without body and leg gear because I think its fun to look semi naked(Mithra! Rawr~) you probably wouldn't like it too much because it doesn't make a lot a sense and its detrimental to my overall effectiveness. Learn from the ppl that are trying to teach you. And the ones that are just being jerks about it.. tell em to screw off.
[+]
 Hades.Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-22 21:10:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Vendi said:

But what I get from the OP is that he's just one of those ppl with nothing but excuses for why things aren't going the way they want in game.

I know plenty of ppl that are in the military and have families and they some how find the time to get decent to great gear. Odds are, if your getting criticized for your playing its because, well... theirs a problem with your playing! Simply put. I don't mean to be mean, but eventually, with time, ppl get to a point where they 'hope' for a certain caliber of player because they don't want to struggle on things they know they shouldn't be.

A few have said, each job serves a somewhat specific role. The reason it's this way is because that's where the job is proficient at. Why intentionally make yourself worse, thus making you look lame and annoying others. What you claim as being fun will ultimately become counter productive and make you alienate others into not wanting to play with you. Try having fun when no one wants you in their parties.

Recently, I've come across 3 of the same ppl in two parties over the last couple days. I plan to try and avoid these 3 ppl because they dont even try at attempting at gearing properly. I'm no elitist and i dont expect ppl to have the very best, but come on, their comes a time when ppl just dont even try at all. When a pt is only doing 3k/hr at lvl56 against colibris its not very fun. I can do better in campaign. Theirs nothing fun about knowing your wasting your time. I would think YOU.. a person with very little time on his hands would understand that key concept.

I bet, if I was in your pt and I decided to play without body and leg gear because I think its fun to look semi naked(Mithra! Rawr~) you probably wouldn't like it too much because it doesn't make a lot a sense and its detrimental to my overall effectiveness. Learn from the ppl that are trying to teach you. And the ones that are just being jerks about it.. tell em to screw off.

I gotta ask, how is it possible to get 3k/hr. off Colibri? I've soloed for faster exp than that. Was the setup really that bad?
By semimmortal 2009-12-22 21:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Stefanos said:
Diabolos.Vendi said:

I gotta ask, how is it possible to get 3k/hr. off Colibri? I've soloed for faster exp than that. Was the setup really that bad?
Can happen unfortunately... happened to me too at lessers:

PLD/WAR, SAM/WAR, DRK/BLM(?), BLU/THF(me), BRD/WHM, WHM/SCH.

/checked DRK, equiped some random/wtf item gearing towards HP/MP(???).
Excuse? Absorb line of spell and the main debuffer plus HP to maximize SE.
FINE, let him do w/e he wants as long as we're killing this thing.

SAM, full time STR gear cause he rather see e-peen DMG than constant damage.
FINE, w/e.

PLD was fine and doing OK (macros his gear, keeps hate from us even though the other 2 were wiffing alot, etc etc etc).

No problem with MP on my side (MP drainkiss is Godsend against those birds), but the PLD couldn't keep up. Why? Takes too long to kill one. Plus, huge downtime after cause after the PLD's MP goes down, so does the WHM (and won't be surprised seeing him tank for the last minute of the fight if it wasn't for me TA'ing spells to the PLD).

And guess what the BRD did the entire 15min of me lasting there? Stood there and sang 2 songs. That's it. No pulling. Healing? LOL.

Result? 3~4k/hr. Not fun.

Moral of the story? If you're going to level a specific job, make sure you're going to love that role. Experiment on your own without dragging others against their consent.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-22 21:32:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Opps, forgot to add the last part of the moral: Research the job online and stop using the Brady guide. Mine's in the attic collecting dusts.
 Carbuncle.Corrderio
Server: Carbuncle
user: Corrderio
By Carbuncle.Corrderio 2009-12-22 23:02:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly, this isn't an easy question to answer since it really depends on your definition of fun. For most people the fun comes mostly from results than anything I'd say.

For me I think I sucked all the fun out of this game I can for myself. I got my Maat's cap a little over a week ago, a goal I've been going at since summer, and ever since I got my cap I've been bored out of my mind since there's so little you can do solo in this game, which means I have next to no goals to go after that I can do on my own. So I tried to apply for what I consider the only decent endgame LS on my server and my friend told me last night my app is doing very poorly, so I'll more than likely be quitting unless I get in.

I know server transfer is up there, however it just seems like a waste to transfer to another server for a game I'll probably abandon in the upcoming fall once XIV rolls out.
 Fairy.Tedwardian
Server: Fairy
By Fairy.Tedwardian 2009-12-23 00:44:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Akuma said:
I've been playing FFXI for a long while now and I've noticed alot of people talking about what's the best for this and what's best for that... why not just let people play how they want to play? It's a game and everyone should be able to have fun and play how they want not how others want them to play. I honestly believe that too many people are stuck in the mind set of "this has to be done this way". I know I ran into this problem many times lvl'ing my war, I ended up tanking most of the time from 12-75, but if I wasn't tanking I was that weird war that always had to see what kind of damage I could do with different weapons and tried to cap everything. The point was to have fun and I think alot of people have forgotten that. Maybe I'm just getting to where I need to retire from this game, but I think people need to stop thinking about themselves and think about others and just enjoy making friends. Am I wrong?
certainly agree with the title. but.. when it comes to exp parties (which i'm sure is what your addressing) there is not much room for experimentation. we want our exp as fast and as easy as possible. its a given you will catch flak for not using your best WS or JA at all times. wait for LS: parties/activities/assault to try out your new ***. by all means have fun! but i needs my exp /greedy. and if your not talking about exp parties then get a new LS, cause this game is fun.

Edit: i quoted the whole OP because thats what i was responding to, i didn't read anything else. was not mocking the post.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-12-23 01:20:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Akuma it's like what we were talking about the other day. I don't use windower. I don't macro in more than 2 slots of gear for WS. I do a ton of ***that "hardcore" players lol @ me for. I started this game with no FoV, no friends, and nobody but JP to help me get ***done. That's how I learned how to play, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna change the way I do things just because some asshat wannabe accountant wants me to do better numbers. *** that noise, this is my game, and math pisses me off.

Nothing anyone can say can ever take away the fact that I've completed every mission available, well over 500 quests, almost reached veteran in Alchemy w/multiple subcrafts, compiled a kickass moghouse, got 6/6 SAM AFv2, made Captain, the list goes on... I'm proud of it all but prouder still of the fact that I did it all my own way.

Don't change what you do. No matter how much flak you catch from jackasses, you've still got friends that will help you with w/e you need.
 Leviathan.Ashitaka
Server: Leviathan
user: Ashitaka
By Leviathan.Ashitaka 2009-12-23 01:25:11
Link | Quote | Reply

People have choice to play with who they want how they want... no reason to discriminate... you're not forced to stay in a bad party nor are you forced to demand to tell people how to play... just relax and have fun in your own way.
 Diabolos.Vendi
By Diabolos.Vendi 2009-12-23 01:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Well since you asked about the pt set up. lol. Here it is.

Pld/war(me)
Not trying to boast, but thus far I've had zero issues with controlling the mob. I say control because holding hate isn't the only thing we can do. blahblahblahblah.

Moving on~

Drg/Sam

Wearing full af, lvl14 str/dex rings, att earrings, fang necklace, that +10att waist piece, nomads mantle. Weapon was not up to date for the pt level.

Blm/Whm

Enough said, although earlier in the day I had a pt with a blm in the pt and we still managed 10k+. Not amazing but it was fun'ish.

sam/dnc

Similar gear to the drg. What made her even worse was that she came /dnc when not asked. threatened to leave when I made fun of her..(I let it be though cuz she was the sync). The kicker! At least the first 30mins or so she didn't use any samba's, waltz' or steps until I said something. She put up a stink and started using her precious tp.. So I don't understand the use of the sub if she isn't even going to use it at least a little, regardless of it being an lolsub!

Rng/nin

I honestly don't know much about rng, or the gear that's best for them at specific levels. He was wearing full Jeridah Set though. Rng couldn't pull hate from me, so I guess that's saying something.

and finally..

Rdm/whm

Wearing mostly dd gear, wouldn't haste anyone and forgot about my refresh enough to make me have to ask for it. I don't tend to ask for it unless i've extremely low or if its been missing for 1min+. Rdm is a touchy subject for me though. I never had issues keeping full cycles when i leveled it, so I somewhat expect others to at least do full cycles or at least do half cycles. Some is better than none!

3k/hr, most fights lasting close to 5mins, loldd's, lazy rdm, blm..., no support job.. suffice it to say. I found myself a rep and left soon after.

The whole point is that if you get enough ppl.. gathered together having "fun" or what they call fun.. And that 1 weak link turns into 2, turns into 3, turns into 4, turns into disbanding party. I don't speak for others, but I loathe xp'ing/meriting. So when I do it I want to get it done and get it over with so I can move on to bigger and better things. Are you starting to understand how your "fun" effects other ppl?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Diabolos.Vendi
By Diabolos.Vendi 2009-12-23 02:47:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thx for feeling my pain. lol

Can say one thing about that pt... They made keeping hate extremely easy.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Hades.Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2009-12-23 03:43:55
Link | Quote | Reply

After reading that party setup, I'm debating on whether to

or