Did Ff16 Flop?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Did ff16 flop?
Did ff16 flop?
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 21 22 23
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-17 17:03:59
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

Lots of profanity, yet it's not cringe nor do we groan when hearing it. Instead we laugh our butts off and it ends up making one of the most iconic internet memes ever. Bruce Willis has some nice scenes, same with Stallone and need practically everything Schwarzenegger ever did (when they did profanity / etc.)

The point isn't to not have foul language / sexualized scenes, it's to not have them be cringe and groan inducing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
Server: Bismarck
user: Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 17:04:38
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Bismarck.Stephenjd said: »
Both games have some forced/cringe swearing but a lot of it makes sense in the context of either the situation or the person.

Really the only difference I hear is Remake swears with American accents and 16 does it with British accents.

What did you think of the quality of the British voice acting in ff16.

Generally good, some NPC's were a bit ropey but you're gonna get that with some of the lesser characters. Ben Starr was very good as Clive and Ralph Ineson was great as Cid.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-17 17:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
Also, the only issue with the swearing in XVI is that if they're gonna give the game a damn M rating anyway, Clive should have sounded like a sailor with a stubbed toe. I want to hear him swearing in combat as part of the battle chatter. His pet name for Gav should be "***". Go big or go the *** home, Square[/quote]

Yep if your not gonna do it tastefully, then go outlandish and turn it almost cartoonish. Not everyone, but definitely have "that guy" and have him not take himself seriously.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-17 17:08:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Lots of profanity, yet it's not cringe nor do we groan when hearing it. Instead we laugh our butts off and it ends up making one of the most iconic internet memes ever. Bruce Willis has some nice scenes, same with Stallone and need practically everything Schwarzenegger ever did (when they did profanity / etc.)

The point isn't to not have foul language / sexualized scenes, it's to not have them be cringe and groan inducing.

And my point is that it doesn't matter. Honestly the idea that there's sects of unironic *** word purists is news to me today so I have no opinion on that but personally I don't give a ***. There's enough people like me who don't care about how the word *** is used in a sentence that media containing liberal use of the word ***, and its sublanguage such as *** face. *** ***, *** head, et al still make so much money that it doesn't mean anything. At the end of the day they can't and will never attend to everyone's personal taste and will instead make whatever they want to make and think will make the most money.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2024-01-17 17:12:28
Link | Quote | Reply

To be clear, my actual issue is that the game had an M rating in the first place. I don't have any issue with swearing - OBVIOUSLY - or sex or whatever, but it's a audience-limiting move.

Artistic vision is fine, but I refuse to believe that the artistic vision was for some of the most mid profanity-laced dialogue ever. Again, go big or go home. Gav's response to getting caught by the imperials should have been "ach, great ***' shitburgers, I'm really in it now"
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 17:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they were probably a bit too scared to go to the level of ultra real British swearing. No c-words for a start. A bit too much for an international customer base.
[+]
Administrator
By Idiot Boy 2024-01-17 17:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah they were probably a bit too scared to go to the level of ultra real British swearing. No c-words for a start. A bit too much for an international customer base.
I thought for sure Cid was gonna break one out on Benedikta.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-01-17 17:29:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm still waiting for Cid's scenes in Rocket Town. That's gonna be good
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2024-01-17 17:30:35
Link | Quote | Reply

To be clear, my actual issue is that the game had an M rating in the first place. I don't have any issue with swearing - OBVIOUSLY - or sex or whatever, but it's a audience-limiting move.

Artistic vision is fine, but I refuse to believe that the artistic vision was for some of the most mid profanity-laced dialogue ever. Again, go big or go home. Gav's response to getting caught by the imperials should have been "ach, great ***' shitburgers, I'm really in it now"

Nothing surprises me on this front any more, when I started realizing shows on Prime and Netflix often get an M rating just because of tobacco smoking scenes.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-17 17:58:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

And my point is that it doesn't matter. Honestly the idea that there's sects of unironic *** word purists is news to me today so I have no opinion on that but personally I don't give a ***. There's enough people like me who don't care about how the word *** is used in a sentence that media containing liberal use of the word ***, and its sublanguage such as *** face. *** ***, *** head, et al still make so much money that it doesn't mean anything. At the end of the day they can't and will never attend to everyone's personal taste and will instead make whatever they want to make and think will make the most money.

Anyhow.
FF16 is a mildly interactive movie so I judged it like I would any other movie. In that regard it's pretty mediocre, nice graphics but otherwise cringe inducing. People think having the ability to move the protagonist from one scene to the next means we have to somehow accept the fact that it's a mediocre anime.

If I want to watch anime, I pop some good stuff in, grab some cheese, crackers and a few beers and just binge watch a few hours. I get that some folks like to play anime, more power to them I guess.
[+]
By Zehira 2024-01-17 18:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

FF14? Amazeballs, best game ever!

lol Doesn't change the fact that more than 90% of his posts are about FF14. Speaking as someone who spent thousands of hours in FF14, I am glad he loves it too. Obviously, he treated Yoshi-P like his best friend. I wouldn't stand up to 14 and/or 16 lovers and say he was only faking it. Otherwise, that evidence would only prove we are dead wrong.

I'd like to know more about his project, Fantasian, but he just can't help himself.
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-17 18:09:32
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't like being cringed out then Final Fantasy is not for you.
By Draylo 2024-01-17 18:22:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Both games have some forced/cringe swearing but a lot of it makes sense in the context of either the situation or the person.

Really the only difference I hear is Remake swears with American accents and 16 does it with British accents.

What did you think of the quality of the British voice acting in ff16.

God its horrible, so forced and like you mentioned earlier the swearing is so forced to be edgy. I rolled my eyes a bunch of times. It just oozes 14 from every pore also, from the voice acting down to the horrible fetch quests but that was expected given who was behind it. The voice acting was just so bad to me, the weird mix of modern and old english and the usual brit accents everywhere. I don't get this companies obsessions with british accents. It almost makes me cringe as much as that old NY accent at this point.
[+]
By Ruaumoko 2024-01-18 03:19:29
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-18 08:37:22
Link | Quote | Reply

LMFAO..

Final May Fantasy.. just perfect.
Administrator
By Idiot Boy 2024-01-18 10:15:32
Link | Quote | Reply

LMFAO..

And yet, as the first comment points out, "Devil May Clive" was RIGHT THERE.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-18 11:47:26
Link | Quote | Reply

LMFAO..

And yet, as the first comment points out, "Devil May Clive" was RIGHT THERE.

SE totally should of gone with Final Fantasy: Devil May Clive
By GetHelpNerd 2024-01-18 11:47:35
Link | Quote | Reply

SE is carried by their IP and their cinematics. nothing else is significant about their games in the last decade.
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-18 11:56:24
Link | Quote | Reply

If you want to be that reductionist about it then there's nothing really significant about the Final Fantasy IP either except for being a lot of Westerners first exposure to home console Japanese RPG's.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-18 13:44:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Vanabout was a flop

Ff16 “didnt meet the high end of sales expectations”, which sounds like it met some thresholds of expectations.

Cope harder.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-18 14:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Last week the company's latest earnings report was released and while net sales increased, operating profit dropped 79 percent from ¥14.4bn to just ¥3.0bn

Quote:
The company's net sales for HD games had increased, thanks to the launch of Final Fantasy 16 and the Pixel Remasters, although operating income was down due to the cost of development.

That is why I said costs of development need to be taken into consideration. Something can have high sales and still be a bust due to it's development + marketing costs being higher then sales revenue. Conversely something can have lower sales numbers and be a smash hit due to it having lower development + marketing costs.

I tend to shy away from big budget games for the same reason I shy away from big budget movies. With that much money on the table producers and directors are forced to not experiment much and just follow an already existing template. Thus we have Final Fantasy: Devil May Clive.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-18 14:20:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats nice, but provides nothing tangible.
Now how much of that “operating income is down” is their absolute buffoonery of still getting in the NFT game (another flop) and other various “we are not a gaming company” endeavours?

Edit:
Seven billion yen into NFT
https://www.thegamer.com/square-enix-7-billion-yen-deal-nft-mobile-devs/
thats pure loss, what could they have gotten back from their NFT investment thus far? Nothing.

7 million of the 11.4 billion yen loss is attributed to NFT, and theres a good chance that number is higher since that was at the start of 2023. 2/3rd of that operating income poof cause of NFTs.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-01-18 14:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

“They are forced to not experiment”

Bro what?
The entire “take final fantasy but make it a single player action adventure” premise is an experiment.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-18 15:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole development cost has already been taken out of the company in one quarter. Everything now is profit.

Also... https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1747991206171394326?t=knN_B0T7gFSEKTrfrESwRA&s=19

But people in here know more than SE themselves.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2024-01-18 16:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

Bro what?
The entire “take final fantasy but make it a single player action adventure” premise is an experiment.

Need to be as clear as possible when using terms such as this (experimenting).....

Its not an experiment for the gaming genre and the directions it has moved in the past 20 years, but when compared with the history of a specific company and one of its IP, it is very much experimental. Mostly wanting to clarify because I am very much enjoying this conversation, not out of disagreement.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stephenjd
By Bismarck.Stephenjd 2024-01-18 16:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get the whole "big budget games have to follow an existing template" moaning when the game people apparently wanted was one that also followed an existing template that has already been done to death too.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-01-18 17:21:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Shoulda focused on FFT instead of NFT
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2024-01-18 17:30:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fungible Tactics
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-18 17:41:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »

Bro what?

Need to be as clear as possible when using terms such as this (experimenting).....

Its not an experiment for the gaming genre and the directions it has moved in the past 20 years, but when compared with the history of a specific company and one of its IP, it is very much experimental. Mostly wanting to clarify because I am very much enjoying this conversation, not out of disagreement.

Umm I think he read it backwards or something..

The bigger your budget the bigger the expected return the less risk you can take on it blowing up. It's why it's just a mediocre copy paste of Devil May Cry with Final Fantasy window dressing. They spent so much on the cinematics, having it flop would mean someone gets Tanaka'd. So take out a blueprint that we know works, follow it while changing the furniture.

This isn't a SE thing either, Hollywood along with other triple A titles do the exact same thing. Occasionally you have someone try a new thing or do something that had previously failed but do it a different way. Those actions have large risks of the producers taking a loss, so are avoided. It's why we can have these suddenly amazing games come out of nowhere, and why I like to peruse indie stuff.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-01-18 17:41:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Final Fungible Tactics

Do a FFT remake as a collectable trading card game...
First Page 2 3 ... 5 6 7 ... 21 22 23