2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Extreme Acts of Relentless Kindness
Extreme Acts of Relentless Kindness
First Page 2
By Felgarr 2023-07-21 21:24:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, FFXI community:

Let's hear about a time where someone in the world of Vanadiel subjected you to a random act of kindness. What was the situation or task at hand? Was it simply a kind gesture or someone returning a favor? What action did you take as result? Did you pay it forward?

My example is a simple one: I was camping Ankabut for Gandiva trials back in the day. I invited someone in the party to get credit for the kills. Unfortunately, I fell asleep shortly after and my character was just running into a wall, slightly out of the radius of camp. Turns out the guy I invited, brought the NM to me 4 times in a row so that I could still get credit.
[+]
 Asura.Hya
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2023-07-22 01:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I think I have more stories about subjecting other players to random acts of kindness only for them to fly off the handle later and shitpost on profile comments/threads/discord/etc. than I have of the reverse.

Just Asura things, though.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Nesspoot
user: Nesspoot
By Asura.Nesspoot 2023-07-22 04:50:38
Link | Quote | Reply

As someone who didn't start the game for the first time until relatively late in its existence, I feel very lucky to have met numerous people along the way who were willing to teach me more about the game's deeper mechanics while answering my constant questions. For better or for worse, many of those people (Hya included) also had to raise my dumb *** when I'd make a stupid mistake. xD

On the flip side, the social shell I landed in as a result of a random shout for help has truly been so amazing to me! Shoutout to Xarxsis, Shantaru, and Iresh in particular. We've been playing together daily for a few years now (it's unreal how quickly time flies while playing this game O_O) and, aside from the general friendship and camaraderie, they selflessly hooked me up with a lot of gil and gear early on.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2023-07-22 05:00:19
Link | Quote | Reply

RMT shell on hades gave me free byakko haidate after 2 days of them owning Uli.
[+]
By Felgarr 2023-07-22 08:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Hya said: »
I think I have more stories about subjecting other players to random acts of kindness only for them to fly off the handle later and shitpost on profile comments/threads/discord/etc. than I have of the reverse.

Just Asura things, though.

It's equally sad and ironic how a game that is grounded in collaboration tends to bring out the worst in some people. Boundaries are frequently test and sometimes people make ridiculous or unfair demands of others, without even communicating them. At that point, it's only a matter of time before either party feels slighted. If you couple this misunderstanding with the social cognition of primates hurling feces at other, you have a recipe for the situations that are more familiar to you.

It's too easy to go the negative route. Let's hear an act of kindness.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-07-22 08:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My mentor was called Seiya, and he basically spent all of his time helping me and others. He had done some endgame very early in the games life, but by the time I got around to playing in late-04, he was already in this place to spend all of his time helping other players. The most unselfish guy I ever knew, and he taught me so many things I still use to this day.

He was the "father" of my first LS until he left the game. Before he did, he gave me the set he always wore (Green Beret +1/Scorpion Harness +1/ Merman's Hands, Legs, Feet), which I still have and will never get rid of. He never talked about himself, so there was a mystery around him.

About two years later, when he returned for a couple of years (and was immediately powerleveled by dozens of players who had "grown up" under his tutelage and wanted to give back) to start a new LS, I persisted, and he eventually told me he was an old man who was a Buddhist living in Thailand. He disappeared and I haven't heard anything from him since. There's more to this story, but I've already told it several times in the forum over the years.

[+]
By Shichishito 2023-07-22 09:48:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazed1979 said: »
Sounds more like a customer bonding strategy.

Once received a raise from a stranger.
[+]
By Blazed1979 2023-07-22 09:59:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
My mentor was called Seiya, and he basically spent all of his time helping me and others. He had done some endgame very early in the games life, but by the time I got around to playing in late-04, he was already in this place to spend all of his time helping other players. The most unselfish guy I ever knew, and he taught me so many things I still use to this day.

He was the "father" of my first LS until he left the game. Before he did, he gave me the set he always wore (Green Beret +1/Scorpion Harness +1/ Merman's Hands, Legs, Feet), which I still have and will never get rid of. He never talked about himself, so there was a mystery around him.

About two years later, when he returned for a couple of years (and was immediately powerleveled by dozens of players who had "grown up" under his tutelage and wanted to give back) to start a new LS, I persisted, and he eventually told me he was an old man who was a Buddhist living in Thailand. He disappeared and I haven't heard anything from him since. There's more to this story, but I've already told it several times in the forum over the years.
I recall Seiya being praised by others as well. I'm not sure if it was here, or on Killingifrit, BG or shazaam, but I'm pretty sure he got some kinda of "nicest guy in XI" in one of the legendary/noteworthy player threads. It's funny how these random facts/memories are stored somewhere in my head but I can't remember where I parked my car at the mall.
By Blazed1979 2023-07-22 10:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Shichishito said: »
Sounds more like a customer bonding strategy.

Once received a raise from a stranger.
worked. I've been filling up their pockets ever since.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-07-22 10:01:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I recall Seiya being praised by others as well. I'm not sure if it was here, or on Killingifrit, BG or shazaam, but I'm pretty sure he got some kinda of "nicest guy in XI" in one of the legendary/noteworthy player threads. It's funny how these random facts/memories are stored somewhere in my head but I can't remember where I parked my car at the mall.

Absolute legend. Everyone wanted to play with him. I've got so many stories but I have work to do and I've posted enough about him over the years, lol. If you was on Hades and knew Seiya, your early life in FFXI was magical.
By Blazed1979 2023-07-22 10:13:37
Link | Quote | Reply

If you was on Hades and knew Seiya, your early life in FFXI was magical.
I had a Goshtin. Was like the cheap chinese rip off of a Seiya. But he got the job done i guess.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-07-22 11:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

If you was on Hades and knew Seiya, your early life in FFXI was magical.
I had a Goshtin. Was like the cheap chinese rip off of a Seiya. But he got the job done i guess.

God, that's a blast from the past. Yeah, I remember Goshtin. He was in charge of DeathHouse. Didn't someone steal their bank once?
By Blazed1979 2023-07-22 13:06:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't join death house but it wouldn't surprise me.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Server: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2023-07-22 13:58:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Goshtin
The name sounds familiar... DRK with apoc?
Was he on Hades? Originally from Phoenix (I started on Phoenix)
A Cloud Strife profile pic maybe
 Asura.Houndsoflove
user: Ephexis
By Asura.Houndsoflove 2023-07-23 09:03:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Their bank was stolen by Grieverao, who happened to be someone I spent a long time warning about prior to it happening.
 Cerberus.Verendus
user: Verendus
By Cerberus.Verendus 2023-07-23 10:15:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Man, I miss Goshtin.
[+]
 Asura.Zidaner
user: Xavierr
By Asura.Zidaner 2023-07-23 13:14:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember this taru Peekaroll from when I used to play. Always trying to offer someone help. What a nice guy.
By Blazed1979 2023-07-23 15:16:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Goshtin
The name sounds familiar... DRK with apoc?
Was he on Hades? Originally from Phoenix (I started on Phoenix)
A Cloud Strife profile pic maybe
that's him yup
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-07-23 19:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

When I first started FFXI I wanted to be a Tarutaru melee, and I ran into a Hume WHM named Ziege. He was from the UK, and about level 36. He PL'd me in Konschtat Highlands, and kindly let me know that running around the goblins did not, in fact, let me dodge them. He took me on my first trip to Selbina. He PL'd me on that character, and my next character, and then I fell out of contact with him for a bit.

He was the first friend I ever added to my friends list, and not understanding exactly how it worked, I tried to tell him, "Thanks" but I was a controller only no KB at the time, and put in, "Thx" but this was on the add friend prompt, which I didn't realize.

He's still in my friends list as Ziege Thx to this day.

Later on, when I was finally a Hume myself, he'd made a second character named Zephtite or something along those lines. An Elvaan. He was a PLD main then, instead of WHM, and he had a Scorpion Harness +1 and a Haubergeon. He let me use them for leveling so I could be solid in EXP parties.

We got to be really good friends, and he told me he had a rare bone disease iirc. We got each others emails to stay in contact outside of the game.

Unfortunately, my email got hacked, and by the time I got it fixed, he'd received so many spam emails from my account that he blacklisted it. By then he'd also cancelled his XI sub permanently, so I never heard from him again.

I still remember him every time I run through Konschtat. He really got my foot in the door in XI.
[+]
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2023-07-23 21:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

A few years ago Chiaia helped me get a few of my bugbear kills for my Twashtar trials. Super nice and awesome person.
 Cerberus.Anjisnu
user: anjisnu
By Cerberus.Anjisnu 2023-07-23 21:39:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Seiya was one hell of a Dude he was Qom's mentor as well and Qom saw me through 3 cancers he was there for me on xbox live for sometimes days when i couldnt sleep for all the vomiting and pain hes since passed but my son is named after him funny how internet strangers can be so close
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
By Minaras84 2023-07-23 23:00:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I know it might be a stupid question given your nickname but, was this on Cerberus or Ramuh?
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2023-07-23 23:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This was on Hades, a server that was deactivated after it merged with Cerberus in 2010.
By Minaras84 2023-07-23 23:50:12
Link | Quote | Reply

This was on Hades, a server that was deactivated after it merged with Cerberus in 2010.

Yeah i was on Hades too (transferred from Fairy, and now Asura).
Reason why i asked is because i first started on Ramuh ( _I believe_)because a friend of mine (Seiya or Seya) was playing there.
We met on PSO for GameCube and the only reason why i started playing FFXI is because of him.
If Neovis, Glor and Biryan ring a bell, it's the same guy.
And if it's not, he was too a heart of gold.
[+]
By Beau 2023-07-24 12:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

i once bazaared a hachiryu haidate for 1gil
 Bahamut.Arioch
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Arioch 2023-07-25 00:45:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Penguina and Kakarotto on bahamut were really great people. So much time has passed i cant remember what they helped me with, but thinking of their names makes me very sad and happy.

Back when i needed help for RDM AF hat i had been shouting for about a week trying to get help, i've been playing since PS2 launch. I had LS but never like asking for help in them from past experiences of people saying mean things. And i never liked asking anyone i knew directly or friends i made. But anyway, Ritzzzz and Lucyfur had helped me many times in the past and i always felt ashamed when they would answer my shouts, both of them were incredibly kind to me and honestly are probably the reason i didnt quit a long time ago. Ritzzzz and Lucyfur duoed Guardian statue for me as RDM/NINs, i dont think they both even had Ni, 30mins into the fight my friend Omegajun came and saved us. It took about an hour for them to duo it down while killing many aggroed bats in the process, none of us died though, after the fight all 4 of us were so hyped because of how hard it was. Back then this fight was a nightmare for all RDMs to get any type of help.

Back when i needed my Kazham keys and had no luck shouting, and no one in my LS at the time would help. After 4 days trying to find any help and didnt, i was trying to solo the mobs at lvl 25 in each strongholds. Scotsman from my LS saw where i was from LS list and said "you still dont have your keys? thats crazy why hasnt anyone helped"He immediately came to me on his THF, and we got all 3 in about an hour, and he said he was so sorry he didnt help sooner, he was always busy when i had asked.

Edit: Forgot to mention how i payed it forward, i'm sure many on Bahamut know my shouts where i try to find anyone needing help, its the result of the random kindness i'd received while playing. It made me want to keep playing, and i've always wanted to do that for others who were having a tough time like i did.

I feel bad i know there are alot of great people on bahamut i dont remember it all anymore though. Played for 19 years, more then half my life! When i'm on and see certain names they fill me with alot of joy, i still remember. Thank you to anyone whos ever helped me on bahamut
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2023-07-25 01:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

A random player on Asura that I've never met before or since invited me to group and basically finished 2 out of 3 bugbear NM kills I needed for an Armageddon trial (you know the one) while I was afk after an entire day camping that mf and not seeing a single spawn.
[+]
First Page 2