New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Continued Prime Weapon NA Review
Continued Prime Weapon NA Review
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17
By Mrxi 2023-07-11 11:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I realize people going to complain no mater what, even if they hand them to you for free but I wish it was more like dyna where they remove the ex tag then can just buy the items off AH. Pretty sure only reason they removed ex tag from shards/voids was because it gets pushed out to wrong person if kill 2 mobs to fast then they realized how easy it is so made it even more easy by adding AH slots and put in trove.
By SimonSes 2023-07-11 11:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeble said: »
Asura.Melliny said: »
The whole point is to get us to log in grind for things that we really don't need. The alternative though is that nobody logs in and the servers shut down. So either you do the stuff they come out with or you don't.

That's galka crap. There is no shortage of content to do in the game, and they absolutely could have made Primes take at most 1-2 hours of Sortie per week to fit into a regular weekly schedule, while still taking 6+ months per weapon to keep people subbed.

If you already played 5-7 hours a week pre-Sortie and you want to make a prime in a timely fashion, your options are to double your playtime or abandon all your other in-game goals. I already log in every night and do something different with friends; I'm not giving that up for a part time job running through purple hallways.

Players like you should aim for one weapon or even just stage 4. It's ok not to get them all. If you aim for one, you could do 2x 50k runs a weak. You will have usable outside stage 4 in 8 months.
By Hopalong 2023-07-11 13:07:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Just to clarify you are saying most groups do 50k a run for an average group/pickup/semi-pickup?

That's 80 hours counting a 15min get ready time or at a 35k galli run average 100+ hours. Then another 80 to 100 hours to complete it.

There used to be entire video games that were completed within 40-60 hours and were fun as hell.

This seems like a weird stance:
Quote:
Players like you should aim for one weapon or even just stage 4.

Err, players like him? That's like 95% of players in the ffxi demographic. Another good example of how SE didn't really want these things completed and has their priorities way scrooged out.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-07-11 13:28:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopalong said: »
Just to clarify you are saying most groups do 50k a run for an average group/pickup/semi-pickup?

That's 80 hours counting a 15min get ready time or at a 35k galli run average 100+ hours. Then another 80 to 100 hours to complete it.

There used to be entire video games that were completed within 40-60 hours and were fun as hell.

Quote:

Err, players like him? That's like 95% of players in the ffxi demographic. Another good example of how SE didn't really want these things completed and has their priorities way scrooged out.

You do realize this is an MMORPG, right? The whole point of the game is to be a gigantic timesink. If you count 1m gil as 1 hour (a common metric, but you can slide this scale as easy/hard it is to get 1m for you) then empyreans weapons take (being generous) about 120 hours for the gil. Add another ~40 hours in NM camping. Mythics are ~180 hours for the gil, ~20 hours in Nyzul, ~5 hours doing ZNM, ~10 hours doing trials.

Nothing in this game which is worth having is a quick process. If you want an omen body (drop, not AMAN trove) you're talking about 50-100 runs of omen on a single boss. Dozens/hundreds of hours. That's the whole point of the game, to have an endless loot treadmill. Maybe you should go play some single player games if you want better bang for your buck or something. There are all kinds of deals on Steam.
By Taint 2023-07-11 13:36:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »

Quote:

You do realize this is an MMORPG, right? The whole point of the game is to be a gigantic timesink. If you count 1m gil as 1 hour (a common metric, but you can slide this scale as easy/hard it is to get 1m for you) then empyreans weapons take (being generous) about 120 hours for the gil. Add another ~40 hours in NM camping. Mythics are ~180 hours for the gil, ~20 hours in Nyzul, ~5 hours doing ZNM, ~10 hours doing trials.

Nothing in this game which is worth having is a quick process. If you want an omen body (drop, not AMAN trove) you're talking about 50-100 runs of omen on a single boss. Dozens/hundreds of hours. That's the whole point of the game, to have an endless loot treadmill. Maybe you should go play some single player games if you want better bang for your buck or something. There are all kinds of deals on Steam.

95% of the players didn't farm Omen Bodies. Just about every other event in the game you can make progress and gil at the same time. So sure its 120 hours of gil farming but in the meantime you are accomplishing other goals. Divide that by the number of people with multiple accounts and that 120 gets cut down extremely fast.
[+]
By Hopalong 2023-07-11 13:45:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone in this forum knows all the ins and outs of mmorpg especially since we are playing ffxi, one of the originals.

You got that right camping for the empyrean nms take a lot of time, but they really don't since we all just go to the camp then kill placeholder till nm, then afk till window opens again. 1 mil an hour is slow frankly for most of the people here. I'd say most would like to clear 1 mil every 30min. However, I think you are spot on saying 1mil an hour is an average metric so I'll follow you there.

Sure we don't want a quick process, but this one is particularly funny, especially when paired with a lot of other factors such as read above what people say.

I'm running Kin for Dagon solo and it takes me about 45min a run.
So in 37 to 75 hours I can expect a fairly rare drop. That's not hundreds of hours like prime completion. I actually don't expect the drop because I'd rather have it sooner and its just something fun to do not to mention swarts. Can do a run whenever you feel like it.

Definitely agree no quick processes in ffxi just take it in and enjoy... but that's what we should be doing, taking it in and enjoying rather than nose to the grindstone expectation of completion in 1+ years.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-07-11 13:51:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
95% of the players didn't farm Omen Bodies. Just about every other event in the game you can make progress and gil at the same time. So sure its 120 hours of gil farming but in the meantime you are accomplishing other goals. Divide that by the number of people with multiple accounts and that 120 gets cut down extremely fast.

Sure, but apply this to the rest of the game. Are you accomplishing multiple goals when making a TP bonus offhand? When completing trials for a relic weapon? When leveling a craft? When fishing? Farming the level <75 NMs for an empyrean? Killing a GF NM to get an abjuration for that gear? Farming Sinister Reign? Doing unity NMs? Attempting Gaol clears? RPing your Odyssey gear?

The list of events where you're burning mass amounts of time to enhance your character is much, much longer than the amount of times you're multi-tasking and completing 5 tasks while also making gil. Even if you are doing an event where you're making gil at the same time as accomplishing some other goal (ody seg farm, dynamis, omen perhaps), you're still wasting dozens/hundreds of hours to get the 200m you need to finish your Mythic. So while it's not a total waste, it's not exactly like a REMA just falls off the money tree.

I think a lot of this "Oh gil is easy to come by" talk is coming from rich people with a billion gil and 30 REMAs. Tell that to people who have no odyssey static, no dynamis group, no omen group, 5m gil to their name, and no REMAs. For some people, these things are an insurmountable effort, not just some thing you pick up on a whim because you have gil burning a hole in your pocket.
By Hopalong 2023-07-11 13:54:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got less than 50mil myself, but a lot of remas from the golden years.

So adding in another insurmountable obstacle seems like too much eh?
By Meeble 2023-07-11 14:55:28
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Players like you should aim for one weapon or even just stage 4. It's ok not to get them all. If you aim for one, you could do 2x 50k runs a weak. You will have usable outside stage 4 in 8 months.

At 100k/week you're looking at just shy of 2 years for a single finished weapon. That's a long time to chase the same carrot, and it's not like Sortie provides jack all in the way of other meaningful rewards for the time you spend there.

If you're a lifer, then I suppose it's great to have something you can do every day, but it's not like you were going to unsub without it.

Sure, but apply this to the rest of the game. Are you accomplishing multiple goals when making a TP bonus offhand? When completing trials for a relic weapon? When leveling a craft? When fishing? Farming the level <75 NMs for an empyrean? Killing a GF NM to get an abjuration for that gear? Farming Sinister Reign? Doing unity NMs? Attempting Gaol clears? RPing your Odyssey gear?

Aside from Crafting and Fishing, everything you listed provides substantial rewards for a relatively low amount of time. Farming Unity or GF NM's takes a few hours at worst, and stuff like Relic or TPB Trials can be done casually in under a week.

Between seg farming and Gaol, the total time I've spent in Sheol might be close to what I'd need for a single Prime weapon, but in exchange I've earned hundreds of millions in gil, dozens of master levels, massive gear upgrades for every single job I play, and a bunch of free inventory space. Not to mention that spending segs on clears and RP has directly and drastically increased my ability to earn more segs when farming. When I started Ody even a half clear of C was unthinkable, but now full clears are routine.

By any comparison the prime muffin grind is egregiously & insultingly bad value for your time.
[+]
 Asura.Hotworks
Server: Asura
user: arcajeth
By Asura.Hotworks 2023-07-11 14:59:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You said all that needed said, even if prime weapons weren’t added they still weren’t unsubbing.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-07-11 15:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You said all that needed said, even if prime weapons weren’t added they still weren’t subbing.
By SimonSes 2023-07-11 15:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

At 100k/week you're looking at just shy of 2 years for a single finished weapon. That's a long time to chase the same carrot, and it's not like Sortie provides jack all in the way of other meaningful rewards for the time you spend there.

Many stage 4 are already bis outside Sortie. You don't need stage 5.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-07-11 15:29:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been debating exactly this idea- going for 2 Stage 4's completely usable outside of Sortie vs 1 stage 5.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2023-07-11 18:09:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Hard to tell, we dont know boosts on Stage 5.
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2023-07-11 23:16:02
Link | Quote | Reply

No... A pickup is between 25k if they are rookies up to 45k at best (which is 6/7 bosses and some mini nms or nakuuls).

"Pick ups" aren't killing 8 bosses like it's no big deal. It requires a lot of coordination and strategy. I'd guess 35k is average.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-07-12 04:22:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

I've been debating exactly this idea- going for 2 Stage 4's completely usable outside of Sortie vs 1 stage 5.
Til I see test on stuff outside of exp mobs I'm with full on clapped out buffs I'm gonna say stage 5 or bust. ***not only that but given the info mischief just came out with people gonna be forced stage 5.
By SimonSes 2023-07-12 04:26:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Err, players like him?

Players with limited time, who choose doing other stuff in FFXI, instead of progress to Sortie. Im a father of 2 and I have a fulltime job. We have a static that was doing Odyssey, when Odyssey was new (we still need to beat Bumba, but yeah) and now we progressed to Sortie. He said he doenn't want to abandon other activities, which is his choice, so he should also be realistic and lower his goals.

Again I was answering him specifically, not in general. He said, that he is doing stuff with friends daily and would like to only add 1-2h per week of Sortie. So I assumed it wouldn't be a pick up, but static with friends. Mages setup can pretty easily kill 8/8 bosses reliably. Good melee setup too. That being said, JP pugs do 8/8 without problems, but they also do V25 pugs, so I guess it's just different mentality maybe.
By SimonSes 2023-07-12 04:31:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
Til I see test on stuff outside of exp mobs I'm with full on clapped out buffs I'm gonna say stage 5 or bust. ***not only that but given the info mischief just came out with people gonna be forced stage 5.

Wouldnt that be exactly opposite? Most people might be forced Stage 4. Remember you still need stones for stage 5 and Mischief's group killed like 5 bosses without seeing one, which means it's either rare drop from them and you will need to kill a lot of harder bosses to get it, or its from harder Aminon, which seems unkillable atm.
[+]
 Bahamut.Justthetip
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2023-07-12 05:27:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I say that because if this thing Lan and them are dealing with is what se wants then making the points first takes priority in my eyes. The weapon can't even be stage 5 for what another 3 months right because of the monthly limit. May as well stack the points til more test are done with what's going on. Otherwise yes you right because of the limited drop rate normally yes rush stage 4.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2023-07-12 07:21:44
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can get stage 5 stones without killing Aminon than his existence is literally pointless. I hope that's not the case personally.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2023-07-12 07:39:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello said: »
If you can get stage 5 stones without killing Aminon than his existence is literally pointless. I hope that's not the case personally.

If you can do an 8 boss run and you can do an Aminon + 6 boss run, then Aminon runs by far give the most muffins (26% more).

Even if you don't care about the guaranteed starstone and +1 case. Killing Aminon is much more efficient for muffins/run.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-07-12 08:18:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Define pointless please. He drops the most muffins of any of the bosses, by triple. He's not *required* but by that measure, nothing in Sortie is *required* so everything is pointless. You can get 100m muffins and never fight a single boss the entire time, just farming trash or chests.

Aminion is (as of now) an option that is available. If you have a setup which can kill him, he's a very efficient way of getting 30k muffins; just as the muffins off the basement bosses are efficient ways of getting 10k. Are we calling all 4 basement bosses pointless too, because they aren't required to get any -drites, earrings, or other rewards?
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2023-07-12 10:38:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Aminion is (as of now) an option that is available. If you have a setup which can kill him, he's a very efficient way of getting 30k muffins; just as the muffins off the basement bosses are efficient ways of getting 10k. Are we calling all 4 basement bosses pointless too, because they aren't required to get any -drites, earrings, or other rewards?

The four basement bosses serve a purpose, to pop Aminon. There ought to be a NEED to kill him. Maybe others are content but I'm not satisfied with his existence for the sole purpose of getting a few more muffins. He should be a requirement for primes, even if it's once for a title. I'm really hoping he's the only one that can drop certain stones, sorry if that angers folks.
By SimonSes 2023-07-12 10:40:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The four basement bosses serve a purpose, to pop Aminon. There needs to be a NEED to kill him. Maybe others are but I'm not satisfied with his existence for the solo purpose of getting a few more muffins. He should be a requirement for primes, even if it's once for a title.

It has a 100% +1 case drop.
doing it every day or at least every second day increases your case+1 income by like 400-800%?
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2023-07-12 10:42:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, you can get +1 cases without him. I have +1 earrings for every job in the game already. I want him to be a requirement not something that can be avoided.

If you can avoid the content and still get what you want, the content is pointless.
By SimonSes 2023-07-12 10:56:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Again, you can get +1 cases without him. I want him to be a requirement not something that can be avoided.

You you can avoid the content and still get what you want, the content is pointless.

You can get +1 without it, but only doing it regularly you can really farm +2 earrings somehow efficiently.
By Taint 2023-07-12 10:56:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »

Wouldnt that be exactly opposite? Most people might be forced Stage 4. Remember you still need stones for stage 5 and Mischief's group killed like 5 bosses without seeing one, which means it's either rare drop from them and you will need to kill a lot of harder bosses to get it, or its from harder Aminon, which seems unkillable atm.

Still a small sample for the Drite, I thought my Prime was broken since it took 3 runs to get my first Eikondrite and we know how common those are.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2023-07-12 13:48:01
Link | Quote | Reply

You know what? You're right. Enjoy your life sentence chained to one dungeon in a playstation 2 game.

Kind of like a diabetic taking insulin, except in the diabetic's case if they don't do it they'll die, whereas for you all that would happen is you'd have to figure out something else to do with your time. Terrifying, I know!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-07-12 14:41:26
Link | Quote | Reply

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
You know what? You're right. Enjoy your life sentence chained to one dungeon in a playstation 2 game.

You realize you're on a forum dedicated to a PS2 game, right? This is like going to a forum dedicated to disc golf and telling them to enjoy playing with their children's toys, while maintaining an active account on the forum (and possibly a subscription to a disc golf league).

I also don't spend all day chained to one dungeon, because Sortie has a lockout and *gasp* it's not the only content in FFXI, despite what everyone on these forums seems to think. I've got a dozen different projects going on at any given time and have many scheduled events, only one of which involves the "dreaded purple hallways."

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
Kind of like a diabetic taking insulin, except in the diabetic's case if they don't do it they'll die, whereas for you all that would happen is you'd have to figure out something else to do with your time. Terrifying, I know!

There are a million things I could do with my time, but if I'm enjoying myself with my current hobbies, why would I feel the need to seek out something new to do with my time? I don't play FFXI because I'm terrified of trying to find another hobby, I play it because I enjoy myself while doing it, bizarre concept to some, I guess.
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17