Did CDC get buffed?
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2022-05-26 09:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

That is just a ws bot, and you're like 90% of the way to a stand alone addon.

it is crazy that people just post bots willy nilly these days.
[+]
 Asura.Ygbir
Server: Asura
user: Ygbir
By Asura.Ygbir 2022-05-26 10:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

My bad, seemed like a pretty harmless request
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2022-05-26 22:02:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
That is just a ws bot,
I wonder if that logic would make gearswap a "gear swapping bot".
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2022-05-26 23:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Essylt said: »
That is just a ws bot,

You're not completely wrong...

But even so, there are degrees of automation. There's obviously a difference between a fancier version of a core function in the base game in the form of /equipsets and in-game macros, and something where you don't even have to manually WS.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2022-05-27 02:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
There's obviously a difference between a fancier version of a core function in the base game in the form of /equipsets and in-game macros, and something where you don't even have to manually WS.
Is there? You automate significantly more functions than a single button press by using gearswap, especially if you use more complex scripts. If anything, I'd argue that autows is the less invasive addon, if you want to be a purist about this.
[+]
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2022-05-27 02:25:49
Link | Quote | Reply

By the way Sel's GS does pretty much what you want. It allows to easily toggle both WS and aftermath on/off. I think it does it only for mythics by default, but it can be changed for other REMA without much trouble if you can manage to change a few lua lines.
By gargurty 2022-05-27 03:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Also the way it goes now on the future level updates, do you realy wanna party for more then 30 hrs to get from master level 30 to 40. The amount of time and mxp is insane. Not many peeps willing to do that manualy. In some way SE is encouraging poeple to use bot programs. Wait till we get 40-50 then it will take a month of fulltime mxping to get there lol.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
Server: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2022-05-27 08:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

That is just a ws bot, and you're like 90% of the way to a stand alone addon.

it is crazy that people just post bots willy nilly these days.
it's not a bot if it's in your gearswap file
/s
[+]
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2022-05-27 08:11:08
Link | Quote | Reply

gargurty said: »
Also the way it goes now on the future level updates, do you realy wanna party for more then 30 hrs to get from master level 30 to 40. The amount of time and mxp is insane. Not many peeps willing to do that manualy. In some way SE is encouraging poeple to use bot programs. Wait till we get 40-50 then it will take a month of fulltime mxping to get there lol.

Then why play the game at all?

People really complaining about a month to cap something when it used to take people years to cap their level, ffs.
[+]
By Musashi232 2022-05-27 08:47:44
Link | Quote | Reply

That is just a ws bot,
actually is
 Ragnarok.Ragingmonkey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Merritt95
By Ragnarok.Ragingmonkey 2022-05-27 10:22:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Suteru said: »
gargurty said: »

Then why play the game at all?

People really complaining about a month to cap something when it used to take people years to cap their level, ffs.

Maybe because we were hoping for engaging content that didn't involve mindlessly killing Apex for 50hrs/job (unless you're cleaving Apex). It's not 2002-2010 anymore. A lot of us don't have that kind of time, especially if you have many jobs. I, for one, did not really want to spend my free time this way. Why defend a system that doesn't respect your time? This is pretty bad, even for SE.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ayasha
Server: Bahamut
user: Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2022-05-27 13:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Alternatively, what content exists today that would require you to zoom your jobs to master level 3 billion in 10 minutes? This whole argument is self defeating. You hope for engaging content, then steam-roll through it, then complain about not having engaging content. Maybe the ML grind is BECAUSE of ya'all's tendency to do this... not in spite of it.

To help further this beating of deceased horses, the difference between Gearswap and a bot, as far as FFXIAH is concerned, is what is tolerated at large by the public. Gearswap allows for bots, yes, but it isn't what it was designed to do, and the public does not consider what it is designed to do to be verboten. Anyone with knowledge of the Lua language and the Windower API can write a bot in Gearswap the same as they'd just write the Lua addon itself. This is because of how Lua is implemented in to Windower, not an inherent and unique function of Gearswap. Calling Gearswap a bot is equivalent to saying the dictionary is a masterful poem because you can put together the words it contains in to a coherent work as the rules of the English language allow that to be done. Kinda misses the point of what the dictionary is for.

And to the OP:
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2022-05-27 14:02:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I think most people think LUA is just a file that gearswap uses, not realizing that lua is what the language is called.
Edit: Changed this cause I was wrong bout what it stands for.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-27 14:13:59
Link | Quote | Reply

let's all remember (ok, mostly those bashing things like Windower/Ashita) that both were created out of player necessity.

-/wait times did not allow for proper swapping of the gear SE gave us and allow it to function.
-macros were limited to 6 slots of gear swapping per macro and equipsets did not yet exist.

I'm not saying that a tool cannot be used far beyond its intended purpose. A hammer is meant for creation and building, but can easily be turned into a tool for violence, destruction and death. Do we fault the hammer manufacturers? Of course not, we blame the monster who beats someone to death with a hammer.

I completely agree with earlier comments that most of the Windower/Ashita bashers have no clue what they are or how they work, they just have an echo chamber full of assumptions that have metastasized into "their" truth. I get the arguments that we're "not playing the game as SE intended"...but we are playing it based upon the world they built and then did not give us the proper tools to use what they gave us.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-05-27 14:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
let's all remember (ok, mostly those bashing things like Windower/Ashita) that both were created out of player necessity.

I think we have different definitions of "necessity." Macros were limited to 6 slots of equipment and wait times were (are) limited such that you have to wait after doing an equipset before you can change again. These are built into the game and you can complete content within those limitations.

If you can't, or don't want to, then sure go ahead and mod the game so it's easier for you, but don't pretend like it's necessary or impossible to play as it is, because there are players who play vanilla so your point is moot.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-27 14:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Quote:

I think we have different definitions of "necessity." Macros were limited to 6 slots of equipment and wait times were (are) limited such that you have to wait after doing an equipset before you can change again. These are built into the game and you can complete content within those limitations.

If you can't, or don't want to, then sure go ahead and mod the game so it's easier for you, but don't pretend like it's necessary or impossible to play as it is, because there are players who play vanilla so your point is moot.

Yup. This is why "discussions" about Windower/Ashita always devolve. We start from different assumptions about intended design.

-Those in favor of these platforms see SE giving us 16 gear slots and since gear is what the game is built around, limiting our ability to swap all slots in 1 action seemed backwards.

-Those against them fall back on the initial design features you mention.

And since we start from such different origins, finding an understanding between such diverse groups is almost impossible. We'll always view the vanilla crowd as being held back by bad design, and the vanilla players will always view Windower/Ashita players as botters/cheaters.

Not going to say one side is 100% right, and the other is 100% wrong....but one side does have history of SE implementing features of Windower into the game years after they've been proven as improvements to fall back on.

EDIT: you also are 100% correct there are amazing vanilla players out there. I've had the luxury of playing with them myself on multiple servers in multiple scenarios. Windower and Ashita aren't cheatcodes to success and good play. The brain behind the choices made in-game will always be the final verdict on whether a player is good or not. Windower won't fix bad sets, bad knowledge, or bad techniques.
[+]
 Asura.Yottaxa
user: Yottaxa
By Asura.Yottaxa 2022-05-27 14:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

This was a legitimate post requesting am3 gs logic, in the windower forum and has a pretty good answer above from Akkarinn. Why has it devolved into “gearswap is bots!!!” thread? /sadness

I really like the logic that was provided, and just might have to use it myself - thanks!
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2022-05-27 16:25:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Because people here (internet in general also) are starved for new and engaging conversations, unfortunately that will turn into a derail in a heart beat once all the basic conversation about the specified topic have been exhausted.
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2022-05-27 16:36:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Jdove said: »
I think most people think LUA is just a file that gearswap uses, not realizing that lua is what the language is called, short for load unload action.

Pretty sure it's moon in portugease.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2022-05-27 18:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ayasha said: »
Gearswap allows for bots, yes, but it isn't what it was designed to do
Gearswap was designed for automating certain actions. As is the code OP was asking for. I just find the fact that people happily tolerate and use certain kinds of automating tools, but then go ahead and write these faux indignant posts about others, on a forum devoted to automating addons of all places, to be some somewhat comical, to say the least.
 Shiva.Carrelo
Server: Shiva
user: Carrelo
By Shiva.Carrelo 2022-05-27 19:10:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Speaking about these forums specifically, the sharing of tools for afk character progression or other blatant subversion of game mechanics has always been against the rules. There just haven't really been moderators here for the past several years.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Server: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2022-05-27 19:35:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arico said: »
Asura.Jdove said: »
I think most people think LUA is just a file that gearswap uses, not realizing that lua is what the language is called, short for load unload action.

Pretty sure it's moon in portugease.

this is correct, it is named after the Portuguese word for the Moon, also it is NEVER supposed to be spelled "LUA" as it is not an acronym

it says as much on the languages web site
Quote:
"Lua" (pronounced LOO-ah) means "Moon" in Portuguese. As such, it is neither an acronym nor an abbreviation, but a noun. More specifically, "Lua" is a name, the name of the Earth's moon and the name of the language. Like most names, it should be written in lower case with an initial capital, that is, "Lua". Please do not write it as "LUA", which is both ugly and confusing, because then it becomes an acronym with different meanings for different people. So, please, write "Lua" right!
-lua.org
[+]
By Jetackuu 2022-05-27 19:40:17
Link | Quote | Reply

what about your LUA?

edit: sorry, not sorry. I'll go now.
By Jetackuu 2022-05-27 19:46:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there?
Yes.

Musashi232 said: »
actually is
nope

Asura.Yottaxa said: »
This was a legitimate post requesting am3 gs logic

It literally wasn't as it was requesting a bot.

Bahamut.Ayasha said: »
Gearswap allows for bots, yes, but it isn't what it was designed to do
Gearswap was designed for automating certain actions. As is the code OP was asking for. I just find the fact that people happily tolerate and use certain kinds of automating tools, but then go ahead and write these faux indignant posts about others, on a forum devoted to automating addons of all places, to be some somewhat comical, to say the least.

I find it comical that people can't tell the difference between a legit action and a blatant bot then get indigent and elitist about it.
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
Server: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2022-05-27 20:54:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerison said: »
Did CDC get buffed?

Gleti's set.
 Asura.Essylt
By Asura.Essylt 2022-05-27 20:59:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
legit action
a script automating a button press (an equipset macro)
Jetackuu said: »
blatant bot
A script automating a button press (a WS macro)

Hm, yes, much different, wow.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-05-27 22:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, you won't ever catch me saying that any addon isn't cheating so don't get me twisted here but...
There's a difference between "when I press my WS macro, or use a JA, gearswap pretends I had included an equipset" and "without doing anything at all, my character executes an action".

If you put in the code above, your character can execute a WS while you're making a drink in the next room. That seems slightly more botty than your average gearswap.
First Page 2