users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Windows 11
Windows 11
 Shiva.Liam
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Liam 2023-09-03 14:03:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I have had the game installed on whatever pc/os I have owned since release, and this is my first time installing under windows 11, and the first time I've ever seen this issue. it is a new machine, so *could* be a hardware issue. but wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this.
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2023-09-03 14:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Melucine said: »
Long shot but maybe it's a DPI setting? Or add the game to nvidia settings (if you have a nvidia card).

I'm on Windows 10 right now but building a new rig in the next 1-2 weeks and will go for Windows 11 on that one. But when I was on 11, I can't say I had the issues you're describing.

thanks i'll give that a try!
 Shiva.Devastation
By Shiva.Devastation 2023-09-03 18:48:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a power mode were the game changes from iGPU to the actual gpu. Once that is set up, you can drop the d8x9 ddl to remove that flickering as well. It was on one of the guides for D9/D10. Easy method was the dll one. ' ReShade d3d8to9 '

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Graphics_Enhancement_Guide
[+]
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2023-09-03 20:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for this, appreciate the responses. I had missed this bgwiki page. in the process of trying the alt dgvoodoo versions now. can't tell if any of these are actually doing anything to POL though, or whether things only kick in once the game loads?

recorded an example here. (apologies for not starting with this :D)it seems to be something with the buttons/menus loading, as the flicking stops on each page once all menu items have loaded, and once they are in memory, you can go back and forth and it wont flicker the 2nd time. odd huh?

Fenrir.Jinxs
Server: Fenrir
user: Jinxs
By Fenrir.Jinxs 2023-09-03 20:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

That is a smooth recording.
You can try turn off GPU scheduling
Check power management settings
Check nvidia or and power management in their console
Might not be power related
[+]
By Wordspoken 2023-09-04 07:22:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to get flickering with nvidia card while recording. What fixed it for me -> go to nvidia server settings-> display configuration -> advanced tab. -> click "force full composition pipeline".
[+]
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2023-09-04 15:25:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for all the help everyone, Changing some of the system /power configs to ensure the gpu was always controlling the primary display seems to have sorted it. cheers!
[+]
Server: Asura
user: Raytheon
By Asura.Clintbeastwood 2023-09-04 19:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been having all kinds of problems since upgrading to Win 11. Really wish I would have stayed on 10, not sure what compelled me to upgrade. I did have the occasional crash/client freeze issues, but now I get random PC resets, browsers just exit, and clients disappear, it's been a real shitshow since upgrading.

I think at least some of it is hardware-related. Trying to run 128gb of ram has been a real challenge, do not recommend, at least not with the board I'm running. In the time I've posted this, 2 of my clients have crashed to desktop.

At one point, I was playing with some OC settings and when pushed as hard (and stable) as possible, windower wouldn't even boot up, just insta-crashed. Looks like I'm the minority with Windows 11 causing issues in XI though so /shrug.

Edit: My hardware: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2gNRmr
 Asura.Yottaxa
Server: Asura
user: Yottaxa
By Asura.Yottaxa 2023-09-04 20:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

No real issues on 11 here, and very stable. 13.7k (No OC) + 4080 here. Using latest version of dgvoodoo2. It took forever to figure it out, but HAGS was enabled by default? and that would cause my client to randomly disconnect back to the char select menu. Disabling HAGS fixed that issue completely.

If its enabled, you could try turning HAGS off to see if it helps at all. I dont think it plays well with FFXI.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-09-04 20:11:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Havent had any problems w/ HAGS and XI myself. Maybe it's an Intel thing.
 Bismarck.Voight
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Voight 2023-09-04 20:45:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Been playing on Windows 11 x64 since the update was rolled out for my laptop. The only problem I've ever had with it, (Aside from just being an older pc that is seriously in need of upgrades/replacement itself). Was after upgrading to 11 initially neither windower nor POL would work, both would load up for maybe 5 seconds and then CTD. Changing settings didn't help, dgvoodoo2 didn't help I ended up having to do a full system wipe/reinstall. since then I have had no trouble out of XI playing on windows 11 at all.
By Imilky 2023-09-07 00:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Humpo said: »
I'd rather not ask or find out but its only a matter of time so might as well get the ball rolling...

Anyone running XI on 11.... gdi... Anyone running this game on windows 11 yet? Any issues?

No issue so far.