What's Good About FFXI.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » What's good about FFXI.
What's good about FFXI.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-10-21 08:08:27
Link | Quote | Reply

The server has organized e-brothels:
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/12/inside-the-brothels-of-final-fantasy-xiv/

My friend group was initially on Balmung in the early days, just by coincidence, and everyone who's reactivated has ran into the same thing. If you make lalafell or female of any race in Limsa, you're accosted by multiple people within minutes.

The specific 30% number is hyperbole, but that server has a huge issue with pedophiles trying to prey on any new players. It's probably because FFXIV is the most likely game to contain young girls, if you look at the other offerings out there.
By Fribbit 2021-10-21 08:23:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »

My friend group was initially on Balmung in the early days, just by coincidence, and everyone who's reactivated has ran into the same thing. If you make lalafell or female of any race in Limsa, you're accosted by multiple people within minutes.

The specific 30% number is hyperbole, but that server has a huge issue with pedophiles trying to prey on any new players. It's probably because FFXIV is the most likely game to contain young girls, if you look at the other offerings out there.

I have actually heard of the brothels, though I hoped it wasn't as widespread of an issue as it apparently is. Thought it was more of a, "yeah, that happened once" kinda thing.

That's really horrible. I sincerely hope it gets addressed sooner than later.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2021-10-21 08:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
Odin.Creaucent said: »
No cash shop? Mog wardrode 3 and 4 are cash shop items and are pretty much mandatory because XI's invent system sucks.

This is a cash shop from ff14, it has had masses of additions since this of course (including a new 30 dolla mount). This is from 2020.

Most of the XIV cash shop are old seasonal event items that you can no longer get in game that most people don't care about anyway. You have rare dyes that can be bought with gil or retainers can bring them back from ventures for FREE. That then leaves a handful of mounts, race change potion(obviously going to have to pay for that) and some outfits and emotes from the Chinese/Korean version of the game(a different company runs the Chinese/Korean version and they also make these outfits). I saw some where in your post about paying for a baseball cap glamour item, that hat isn't on the cash shop its obtainable in game.
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2021-10-21 08:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Fribbit said: »

I have actually heard of the brothels, though I hoped it wasn't as widespread of an issue as it apparently is. Thought it was more of a, "yeah, that happened once" kinda thing.

I play a female character and not once have I been approached by anyone. In fact I picked up a stalker on discord because of my voice, I'm a bloke, during one the big alliance runs i was doing call outs for. Apart from messages on discord nothing really happened in game and nothing dirty.

I don't play on Balmung but I've never once seen or even heard of an ingame brothel.

Edit: im not surprised this thread eventually turned into a XI vs XIV/WoW ***show.
By Draylo 2021-10-21 08:36:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course when you are one of the first ones to come out and defend anything XIV related on an XI forum. Like clockwork, youre there
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-10-21 08:54:15
Link | Quote | Reply

No cash shop? Mog wardrode 3 and 4 are cash shop items and are pretty much mandatory because XI's invent system sucks.

This is a cash shop from ff14, it has had masses of additions since this of course (including a new 30 dolla mount). This is from 2020.

Most of the XIV cash shop are old seasonal event items that you can no longer get in game that most people don't care about anyway. You have rare dyes that can be bought with gil or retainers can bring them back from ventures for FREE. That then leaves a handful of mounts, race change potion(obviously going to have to pay for that) and some outfits and emotes from the Chinese/Korean version of the game(a different company runs the Chinese/Korean version and they also make these outfits). I saw some where in your post about paying for a baseball cap glamour item, that hat isn't on the cash shop its obtainable in game.

Point is, FFXI does not have one and that's a good thing.
By Draylo 2021-10-21 08:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Well there are countless nude mods for the game. I stumbled upon that hell hole when trying to look into a reshader program to enhance graphics. Pretty creepy, can only imagine what they doing with those mods. Those random emotes might not be so innocent lol.
By Fribbit 2021-10-21 09:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I play a female character and not once have I been approached by anyone. In fact I picked up a stalker on discord because of my voice, I'm a bloke, during one the big alliance runs i was doing call outs for. Apart from messages on discord nothing really happened in game and nothing dirty.

I don't play on Balmung but I've never once seen or even heard of an ingame brothel.

Edit: im not surprised this thread eventually turned into a XI vs XIV/WoW ***show.

I've heard of them on Balmung, but not on any other server. I have five different chars of all different races and such on three different servers(none of them Balmung) and have also personally never come across anything like this. It's clearly a very small(in comparison to the rest of the community/population anyway) group of people participating in it, but it's still awful and shouldn't happen.

You may not be speaking about me, but for the record, I'm not against FFXIV. I enjoy XIV a lot same as I do XI and am very glad they both exist. The whole brothel thing and predatory behavior wouldn't be OK in any game and should be dealt with though.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-21 09:02:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Final Fantasy XI is nearly 20 years old. Many games have come since then, and a few of those are more popular. It's literally impossible to talk about what aspects you like about it without comparing it to those games because it boils down to justifying why you're still playing it when you have other options.

Most people didn't even mention Final Fantasy XIV. The first utterance of that game didn't even happen until nearly halfway down the first page. By getting defensive about XIV you're effectively admitting that the comparisons being made are a problem in that game.

I can't find it, but I remember seeing a viral picture where someone was describing the internet by using two people in conversation. One says "I really love (thing)" and the other suddenly gets really defensive "OH! SO I GUESS YOU JUST HATE (opposite of thing) DONT YOU!" That's what this topic is. Can we stop?
By Fribbit 2021-10-21 09:09:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Final Fantasy XI is nearly 20 years old. Many games have come since then, and a few of those are more popular. It's literally impossible to talk about what aspects you like about it without comparing it to those games because it boils down to justifying why you're still playing it when you have other options.

Most people didn't even mention Final Fantasy XIV. The first utterance of that game didn't even happen until nearly halfway down the first page. By getting defensive about XIV you're effectively admitting that the comparisons being made are a problem in that game.

I can't find it, but I remember seeing a viral picture where someone was describing the internet by using two people in conversation. One says "I really love (thing)" and the other suddenly gets really defensive "OH! SO I GUESS YOU JUST HATE (opposite of thing) DONT YOU!" That's what this topic is. Can we stop?

I mean OP mentioned cash shops in the second paragraph of the post. While obviously not exclusive to FFXIV, it is clearly included in the reference.

However, things are getting off-topic, I agree.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-21 09:24:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean OP mentioned cash shops in the second paragraph of the post. While obviously not exclusive to FFXIV, it is clearly included in the reference.

However, things are getting off-topic, I agree.
It's not, though. He doesn't mention any specific game in that paragraph, or at all through the whole post. Almost every MMORPG I can think of has a cash shop: WoW, GW2, PSO2, XIV, you name it.

And why do we like FFXI? Because it isn't like other MMORPGs. That's literally the whole point. The fact that it's so different in comparison to other games in the genre is why it still has any population at all.

FFXI doesn't have global cooldowns, either (except SP abilities, I guess). And I'm extremely happy for that fact, because one of the things I don't like about other MMORPGs are GCDs. But that's not a sting at WoW or XIV or any other game that uses them. It's just the only way to describe it. lol I remember watching a guide for a job in XIV where the guy was talking GCDs and OGCDs and I had literally no idea what he was talking about XD
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2021-10-21 09:31:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Point is, FFXI does not have one and that's a good thing.

FFXI does but the only things that are on it are mog wardrobe 3 and 4 which is a lot more predatory than anything on other sub based MMOs. You get to a certain point in the game that you either need to limit what jobs you play or spend 20mins getting equipment out of slips and putting others back on the slips. I have both paid for on my main account and I couldn't play the game without them because I have that many sets for the 7-8 jobs I regularly play. I'm limited to 4 jobs on my alt account with only the free ones available.

XIV also has this feature on the cash shop that you pay for extra retainers to hold more items which is one of the things you are so passionately against.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Server: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2021-10-21 09:53:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Things I like about FFXI:
-It always feels like home despite the myriad changes it's received over the years. I first played a JP client version at friend's house that his dad had somehow gotten ahold of in late 2002. My own copy and journey began on the PS2 version in November 2003, though due to poor internet connection/location, wouldn't really really kick off with serious progress until April 2004. I've seen a whole lot of this game over the years, and I still remember some crazy stuff from back in the day. I remember Samurai prior to Hasso, prior to 2-handed update, prior to Group 2 Merits. I remember the level cap was actually raised to 75 in December 2003. That era would last for 6.5 years.

-I like the Notorious Monster term, names, locations, and vibe. Something about their names, regardless of which one it is always gives me a big brain shock alert.

-Bastok. I'm still unsure why people meme disdain of it, but in my eyes it's always been the #1 town.

-The players. When you meet the good players in FFXI, and I mean those that are good people, they will fill your cup up until it overflows. The good players are nearly selfless. It's inspirational. I met many of them throughout my time in FFXI. I'll remember those good ones forever!

Things I don't like about FFXI:

-It's far too addictive. I didn't think I'd ever put it down, and it took joining the military as well as getting a severe break up with a woman who played with me for a couple of years to even get me to look away from it for a few years. It's a world you can lose yourself in. If ya didn't need to eat/sleep/drink IRL I'm sure we'd have all disappeared inside.

-It has a lot of systems that will/can waste your time. If you're not relaxed about progressing, then it can feel like forever, but also a lot of the skill up quotas for stuff like healing/enhancing/bell/geomancy magic or slower swinging weapons just feel really taxing. I know there's Sparks books to bypass that a bit now, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. There's a lot of stuff that dangles a carrot on a stick, and unless you look the carrot up, it's extremely possible to sink a weeks'/Months'/years' worth of your personal playtime into getting an item that you didn't need or only had a marginal effect.

-The players. This time the bad ones. The ones from the old days that traded IRL money/sex/etc. for HNM drops/LS officer positions/to get people kicked etc. The ones who insist that cheating is OK. The ones buying botted Master stars, then saying they're aces at their jobs. The ones always pushing the envelope on third party stuff to enhance their performance. Also justifying it to themselves while pushing away the natural state of play, so much so that it's nearly unrecognizable to them. They can't play the base game, and love it for what it is.

Something something Raogrimm line post Shadowlord 5-2 fight.

As far as FFXIV goes, Creau's just trying to stick up for stuff y'all are mostly talkin' bout secondhand.

FFXIV's main problem, imo, is that WoW players have been slowly taking over its playerbase since mid 2016 or whatever. It's only gotten worse. SE Corpos love the new money, but they come in swinging their WoW cudgels around like it's the new WoW, saying crap like, "My Toon" and referring to glamour as, "Transmog." Only a tiny subsection of the game are familiar with FFXI, which is sad, since many many things from XI get reused in XIV. But I'm legitimately more bothered by the WoW youtubers and streamers that jumped ship, and are now XIV streamers/tubers. Not just the most recent ones. Even the ones who came over in one of the earlier, "refugee waves." They now act like they've been in the FFXIV and FF MMO landscape all along, when they haven't. Heck, some of them weren't even in the WoW landscape all that long, from what I've gathered.

Cash shop is also a legit problem, but the official stance is that its money went to new servers and stuff like that... I've bought some stuff from it, and it never feels good after, especially when something cooler than what you just bought comes out relatively right after.

I love both games, but I have things I dislike about both of them.
[+]
By Starbucks 2021-10-21 09:55:09
Link | Quote | Reply

PEDOPHILES? ON THE INTERNET?? ON VIDEO GAMES??? NEVER!
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-21 10:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
-It's far too addictive. I didn't think I'd ever put it down, and it took joining the military as well as getting a severe break up with a woman who played with me for a couple of years to even get me to look away from it for a few years. It's a world you can lose yourself in. If ya didn't need to eat/sleep/drink IRL I'm sure we'd have all disappeared inside.
I don't know if that's a problem with the game, though. Not only is "addiction" a term that can be used to describe every online game with FOMO and sunk-lost, but it's not impossible to enjoy FFXI (especially currently) on an extremely casual level.

Any game worth playing is going to be more fun if you can play for longer stretches at a time. It's part of the immersion.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-21 11:59:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Another thing to like about FFXI? How badass Corsair's equipment looks.

And how easy it is to use Altana Viewer to make little Photoshop works. :D
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-10-21 12:50:55
Link | Quote | Reply

If you make lalafell or female of any race in Limsa, you're accosted by multiple people within minutes.
99% of Lala's and female chars are dude incels so yeah, they deserve it.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-10-21 13:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you ever used any armor mods in FFXI Jessikah?
By Starbucks 2021-10-21 14:15:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So if I make a female character on FFXIV I can get everyone to give me gear and carry me through everything?
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Server: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2021-10-21 14:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Starbucks said: »
So if I make a female character on FFXIV I can get everyone to give me gear and carry me through everything?
IDK but you are welcome to join my brothel.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-21 14:18:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Have you ever used any armor mods in FFXI Jessikah?
A long time ago, yes. But I didn't like how a lot of them looked in-game so I didn't keep any of them for long. Otherwise, I've used the Windower addon DressUp once when I was leveling Geomancer and wanted to play it with the AF before Lv.99. I'll probably do the same with Rune Fencer when I get there. Sucks that the armor isn't 52~60 like with every other job in the game.
[+]
By alamihgo 2021-10-21 14:21:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Starbucks said: »
No. The game is designed to do that for you regardless of gender.
[+]
By SanjoTitan 2021-10-21 15:25:04
Link | Quote | Reply

FFXI has Puppetmaster, only reason I keep coming back.
[+]
 Asura.Viska
By Asura.Viska 2021-10-21 16:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

SanjoTitan said: »
FFXI has Puppetmaster, only reason I keep coming back.

Never seen Beastmaster, spelled that way before. (I totally feel the decades long love of a job though.)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-21 16:02:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Beastmaster, Puppetmaster, what's the difference?

*trollface*
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2021-10-21 16:18:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I will admit, do miss the thrill of being able to solo content and seeing how far one can take a job.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-21 17:02:46
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder

The fan creations <3
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2021-10-21 23:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Ghishlain said: »
I will admit, do miss the thrill of being able to solo content and seeing how far one can take a job.

*nudges FFXIV BLU towards you*

Pssst, you can solo normal mode Stormblood raids and even Lakshmi Extreme. Dungeons too!
[+]
By alzeerffxi 2021-10-22 01:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Radical is right about the store stuff except its just glamour to be honest who cares about gpose just the casuals, But than again we have a new scheme in FFXI the new mog bonanaza every 1-3 months they keep you subbed to get a chance on getting one of the weapons without adding new stuff to the game lol, on top of that they literally *** the players who play ninja, FFXI has good ***but the bad ***outweighs the good ***now they may as well be a cashop items.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15