Windower... Can Anyone Tell Any Pro Or Con??

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Windower... can anyone tell any pro or con??
Windower... can anyone tell any pro or con??
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-10-30 13:30:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Tbest said:
I guess you won't be playing XIV then. >.>

I am, however, considering a PS3.
[+]
 Sylph.Otsego
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 13:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Only thing I find PS3 good for is God Of War 3 when it releases, and the blu-ray player. Waste of money for me, my laptop has a blu-ray player. As for FF XIV, meh. I have too much time invested in XI to play a second game online.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Titox
Server: Ragnarok
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2009-10-30 14:49:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Otsego said:
I used to have to run the 6 line macro setup on BLM, as I used to play on 360. After coming back to PC, I could never do it again. As with BLM gear, when you're running HMP, Sorc Swap, MND set, enfeeble set, nuke set, weather set, enhance set, it kills the macros, but with books it really isnt as bad as it used to be. I've been a BLM for going on 3 years, and never once did it occur to me to actually consider a haste build for Dark Magic. Thanks to you, now I am going to have to work on a haste/dark magic build when I go back to playing, just to see if its actually worth it :D I like the idea though, so seriously, thank you for mentioning it.

you're welcome XD having drain,aspir and stun with the lowest recast and still high dark magic+ gear can save your life in some situation ^^ ....mentioning that i should do it too since i haven't it lol(still working on merit on my blm...not even AM2 yet...i am 75blm since 3 weeks ago and i like it ;D )
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 15:05:07
Link | Quote | Reply

A haste set shouldn't be too hard to set up for BLM, already use Loquacious Earring as it is on dark magic. Turban, Swift Belt, not sure if BLM can wear much other haste gear tbh. BLM meriting is a pain, potencies, AM II (Freeze & Burst II). I've had BLM 75 for 3 years, I dont even have my BLM capped on merit yet. Good luck capping it.
 Ragnarok.Titox
user: Titox
By Ragnarok.Titox 2009-10-30 15:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Otsego said:
A haste set shouldn't be too hard to set up for BLM, already use Loquacious Earring as it is on dark magic. Turban, Swift Belt, not sure if BLM can wear much other haste gear tbh. BLM meriting is a pain, potencies, AM II (Freeze & Burst II). I've had BLM 75 for 3 years, I dont even have my BLM capped on merit yet. Good luck capping it.

Goliard body give haste too so ;o thats the only beside the gear you mention...i guess i will have to make Windower macro for the change gear lol since 6 line per macro for blm sucks so bad

right now i am 3/5 Ice and 4/5 lighting...but thats it at the moment...thinking of getting beside freeze2 & burst2....flood2 since i like the animation and sound of it lol <3
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 15:23:58
Link | Quote | Reply

My potency merits are laughable, I wont even list them. 1/5 Freeze & Burst II, 3/5 INT. The only issue I see having a haste set on blm for stun and crap is having to overuse it because it will almost always be ready. In my opinion though, no BLM should be spamming stun anyway, massive resist rate builds, and so does the hate. Though it is kinda hard to play the only stunner when youre doing Sandworm, and wind up landing Serket. That fight is never fun as a BLM, almost always die there.
 Quetzalcoatl.Makochild
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: makojr
By Quetzalcoatl.Makochild 2009-10-30 15:49:16
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 Spellcast
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-10-30 16:15:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bottom line for windower and all third party programs and apps is "use at your own risk." If just thinking about the possibility of your account getting banned makes you want to kill yourself, you might want to reconsider using it. Although a very slim chance of ever happening, it is possible to get banned if you openly admit to using it. So I guess "use as your own risk" should be revised to "use at your own risk and don't be a *** idiot."
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-10-30 16:32:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
"use at your own risk and don't be a *** idiot."

I dont think anyone could have said it better. If you openly talk about running 3rd party programs in game, I think you deserve to be banned. We all know there are people that run them, and we probably know most of those people in some way. If you openly discuss it, and get banned, you have no right to cry over it. Best bet as you said, dont be a *** idiot. Keep your mouth shut about it in game, keep it to vent or forums.
 Gilgamesh.Aaralynn
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Aaralyn
By Gilgamesh.Aaralynn 2009-10-30 18:37:36
Link | Quote | Reply

My con is it made avatars look funny. ;(

Other than that, nothing.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-30 19:05:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Aaralynn said:
My con is it made avatars look funny. ;(

Other than that, nothing.

Change your settings D:
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-10-30 19:14:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Blurr said:
gms dont care about windower, and im confident the majority of them would capitulate with what im saying here >.>

GM cares about policy, nothing more, nothing less. Therefore they do care about Windower. But there's a difference between banning someone who's saying publicly in-game "I'm using Windower" (or let's say a stupid person giving url on where to download plugins in /sh @ whitegate) and searching for every single player using Windower.

It's exactly like illegal downloads, you can be fined, you can be jailed, the police/judge do care, yet nobody is gonna try to catch every single person downloading stuff from the internet.

Quote:
I would bet most GMs that play on PC probably use windower themselves, unless they have access to a special POL/FFXI client for their own personal use.

GM are people like you and me, usually FF XI player (so that include Windower user too). When a GM is playing as a player (i.e : not during his work time), he's just like every individual out there, have the same rights and the same rules to follow. His choice to use Windower or not, except that getting banned will certainly make him lose its job.

Quote:
4. Type /console exec Folder name/txt document name w/o the .txt in the macro.

Actually just use // instead of /console. //exec = /console exec. Type less, save time.
 Remora.Belius
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-01 08:55:17
Link | Quote | Reply

v.v I can get windower to launch on vista, but was totally unable to load the scripts. I wish I could see TP.

Wah.
 Remora.Belius
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2009-11-01 08:57:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Azulmagia said:
Fairy.Tbest said:
I guess you won't be playing XIV then. >.>

I am, however, considering a PS3.

Don't consider.
Get one. It's the best thing since.. God, I don't know how to express how much love I have for the machine.
 Fairy.Azulmagia
Server: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-11-01 09:02:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Remora.Belius said:
v.v I can get windower to launch on vista, but was totally unable to load the scripts. I wish I could see TP.

Wah.

I've had TParty running on Vista fine.

Remora.Belius said:
[quote=Fairy.Azulmagia]Don't consider.
Get one. It's the best thing since.. God, I don't know how to express how much love I have for the machine.

Don't have $300 right now :V
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-01 11:02:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
Actually just use // instead of /console. //exec = /console exec. Type less, save time.

:o more shortcuts! yay! I've used /con exec folder/file for a long time, so this made it that tiny bit shorter! thanks!

(There's a couple scripts that I manually type out due to rare usage)
 Ragnarok.Psyence
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-11-01 11:19:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard this story about a guy asking a GM "How come us non japanese are unable to type special character like a heart for example? :("

The GM replied he had no idea what the guy was talking about...

So the guy said: "There! I copy/pasted it for ya!" and showed him the character...

And the GM gave him a warning for using Windower because the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE normal version of the FF XI windower has no paste option.

Now maybe it's just an urban legend, but if it's true, it's pretty funny
 Ragnarok.Psyence
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-11-01 11:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Chupacabra said:
I'm a BLM main... been that way for 3 years. I manage just fine without windower scripts.

Don't insult everyone who doesn't need it simply because you do.

Windower is fine if you feel the need to swap 30 pieces of gear to cast a spell. That's cool, and I respect your dedication to making your spells land the best they possibly can.

However, to those of you that land spells just fine with 5 gear swaps, or even (Gasp!) manually swapping a gear piece or two then hitting a macro before casting, bravo.

Windower simply makes swapping gear easier. It isn't absolutely needed, and by no means are you a moron if you don't use it.

This is a little bit like saying "You don't need utensils to eat most food, I use my hands and I do just fine." Ok ok just teasing... Seriously, the simple fact SE has never cared to improve the basic windowed version (even V-sync doesn't work due to some stupid bug they never cared to fix) makes it hard to justify not using windower. You could use windower even without the macros if it makes you feel like you're cheating, with just drawdistance and the v-sync patch on and it would already be a good reason to dump the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE "normal" client >.>
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-01 11:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
I heard this story about a guy asking a GM "How come us non japanese are unable to type special character like a heart for example? :("

The GM replied he had no idea what the guy was talking about...

So the guy said: "There! I copy/pasted it for ya!" and showed him the character...

And the GM gave him a warning for using Windower because the HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE normal version of the FF XI windower has no paste option.

Now maybe it's just an urban legend, but if it's true, it's pretty funny

I'd have to go with urban legend, because while anything official doesn't allow paste, not even windower will let you copy text from the chat-log.

As for most symbols though, I believe they're all part of the Japanese type-set, which is called IME, or is provided by IME or something like that. But basically allows the use of kanji and... that other one within the program. SE has to pay IME for every single copy of the game sold with that feature, so only the Japanese version of the game gets it, which makes sense considering that 99.9% of the people wanting to type in Japanese will be in Japan (weird huh).

That's the basic out-line of it as I understand, Jaerik explains it a lot better, and has so a few times... somewhere.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-11-01 11:46:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually it's not copied from the chatlog when using IME. I've done this and you have Notepad open to make your JP text to copy/paste. Mostly useful for getting the slanted W for lolz at people.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-01 11:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm gonna assume that the vast majority of Japanese players don't type into notepad and then paste into FFXI every time they want to say something <_<
 Lakshmi.Kitrah
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kitrah
By Lakshmi.Kitrah 2009-11-01 11:49:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Most people are ok with Windower (which is an advantage over people who can't use it), yet *** about other ways to take advantage, like gil buying. I'll never understand that.

It's like saying lying is wrong, but a 'little white lie' is ok.

Yea yea, I know most are gonna disagree, but I'm taking personal opinion out of the equation, and just basing my post on facts: Regardless of getting away with it or not, SE considers Windower as a 3rd party program and a violation. SE considers botting and gil buying as violations.

A violation is a violation is a violation is a violation, no matter how you twist it.

Either be cool with the various ways to take advantage of FFXI or don't. But, to accept one way but not another is just plain hypocrisy.

....And, that's one to grow on! :D
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2009-11-01 11:51:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
I'm gonna assume that the vast majority of Japanese players don't type into notepad and then paste into FFXI every time they want to say something <_<

naw, he did say non-japanese people, which is what non-jp people have to do..
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-01 11:52:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kitrah said:
Most people are ok with Windower (which is an advantage over people who can't use it), yet *** about other ways to take advantage, like gil buying. I'll never understand that.

It's like saying lying is wrong, but a 'little white lie' is ok.

Yea yea, I know most are gonna disagree, but I'm taking personal opinion out of the equation, and just basing my post on facts: Regardless of getting away with it or not, SE considers Windower as a 3rd party program and a violation. SE considers botting and gil buying as violations.

A violation is a violation is a violation is a violation, no matter how you twist it.

Either be cool with the various ways to take advantage of FFXI or don't. But, to accept one way but not another is just plain hypocrisy.

....And, that's one to grow on! :D

Yeah, but that argument isn't fully foolproof either.

Ie;
"I killed him because he broke into my house and tried to rape my wife" = murder.
"I chopped him up after raping him because he was a scientologist" = murder.
Different degrees of the same action are different degrees of 'wrong'
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-01 11:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, if Kitrah uses windower than I think we can all safely assume he also buys gil <_<
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-11-01 11:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Kitrah said:

Raping little girls is a law violation. Downloading copyrighted material is a violation too.

Seriously I wonder why people are ok with piracy but not with raping :]

That's basically what you are trying to say :)
 Sylph.Otsego
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-11-01 12:01:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
[quote=Lakshmi.Kitrah]Most people are ok with Windower (which is an advantage over people who can't use it), yet *** about other ways to take advantage, like gil buying. I'll never understand that. It's like saying lying is wrong, but a 'little white lie' is ok. Yea yea, I know most are gonna disagree, but I'm taking personal opinion out of the equation, and just basing my post on facts: Regardless of getting away with it or not, SE considers Windower as a 3rd party program and a violation. SE considers botting and gil buying as violations. A violation is a violation is a violation is a violation, no matter how you twist it.Either be cool with the various ways to take advantage of FFXI or don't. But, to accept one way but not another is just plain hypocrisy.....And, that's one to grow on! :D

Here is my opinion. I use windower, I will not lie about it, just never ask me in game, as I will be forced to ignore you. I also approve of people buying gil, I do not personally, but if you want to be dumb enough to spend your hard earned money on fake currency, by all means go for it. I also approve of people using 3rd party programming, for 1 simple reason. It's their account on the line when they get caught, not mine. I do not personally care what anyone does in this game. Yes, I hate being beat by a bot, without proof what am I going to do, call a GM anyway? Probably, wont do any good though. Not all windower users disapprove of gil buying or 3rd party programming, but most disapprove of one or the other. But I do agree, a violation is a violation, so on and so forth.

Lakshmi.Kitrah said:
Yeah, but that argument isn't fully foolproof either. Ie;
"I killed him because he broke into my house and tried to rape my wife" = murder.

Now as to this quote. "I chopped him up after raping him because he was a scientologist" = murder. That is not murder, thats called self-defense, at most an assault maybe. No way any judge would convict on murder if the evidence points to him protecting his wife. Just throwing that out there, the other part of it, abosolutey right.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-11-01 12:04:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I should have said "killing" for both of those, come to think of it.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-01 12:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
Odin.Blazza said:

naw, he did say non-japanese people, which is what non-jp people have to do..
Without a JP version of POL/XI with built-in IME or using the IME plug-in with Windower, yes this is what you'd have to do. Easier to use IME if you use this stuff frequently, but if just occasionally it'd be preferable to use notepad since IME makes you essentially confirm every word types which can get a little tedious.
 Lakshmi.Kitrah
Server: Lakshmi
user: Kitrah
By Lakshmi.Kitrah 2009-11-01 12:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Blazza said:
Also, if Kitrah uses windower than I think we can all safely assume he also buys gil <_<

I'm on Playstation, so I can't use Windower. As for gil, I cherish my character way too much to risk losing her due to buying gil. BUT, if buying gil was SE-approved, damn straight I would!
At least I have the balls to admit it.

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Yeah, but that argument isn't fully foolproof either.

Ie;

The degree of which is more wrong is a matter of opinion. Also, they are under two different statures of Law. One is defense and the other is homicide. There are no separate levels of SE-violations. Whether GMs do their job or not, gil buying and Windower are on the same level of 'wrong' according to the people who make the rules. I'm only basing it on facts.