When Is Doing AFB To Much, To Much?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » When is doing AFB to much, to much?
When is doing AFB to much, to much?
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow 2009-10-23 07:22:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Aaralynn said:
Maybe I just have bad luck finding the not so fortunate ones then. But I doubt that. As it's not just Gilga. I'm originally from Shiva. Until moving to Gilga with some friends and becoming as involved in end game as I am, all I did was help out new people. Between those 2 servers, there's not much of a difference in that area.

The ones who leveled mostly in Qufim at least still had sneak and invis. It was amusing. An AFB RDM didn't even know sneak and invis came as spells, until I started casting it on them. Then to see someone who leveled mostly in Qufim try and educate them about it, it was kinda cute.

i lol'd hard aara lets claim NIDHOGG today w000t lol
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-10-23 07:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

My personal opinion would be, when you are skipping prime levels that really teach you a lot about your job, or give you vital skills that will help you play it at 75. You don't pick these things up if you Astral Burn the job because there's no experience!
 Gilgamesh.Aaralynn
user: Aaralyn
By Gilgamesh.Aaralynn 2009-10-23 07:24:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sad, but true. They were used to being given sneak and invis oils.
 Titan.Xantavia
Server: Titan
user: xantavia
By Titan.Xantavia 2009-10-23 07:26:44
Link | Quote | Reply

So where do you draw the line of what is "easy mode". Don't you think fighting colibri from 37ish-75 is also going the easy mode route? A weak mob with only 1 potential damaging attack. I think people over-do it on these mobs and don't learn all the mechanics of their job (like hate control, SC/MB, or even SATA).

Sure, that is an extreme example, but I don't really get why people seem to think that astral flow burns are the only thing that seems to gimp the playerbase? There are many things out there that can be seen as taking the easy way to 75, I guess it's up to the individual to decide what is too much.

That being said, I don't understand how it affects your play, unless you are trying to xp in the tunnel. If doing this is seriously gimping the player when they get into an endgame scenario, I'm sure it will come out pretty easily. And at that point, it is up in the air whether they will be kicked or not.

tl;dr - Who cares how others get their xp if it doesn't effect how you get yours.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-23 07:57:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:

If you do it at all.
[+]
 Caitsith.Blurr
Server: Caitsith
user: blurr69
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-10-23 08:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Quote:

If you do it at all.

keep passing them 100k/30m parties up, more for the rest of us.
and the whole debate about skill can be summed up by this: if you suck you suck, if your good your good. burn parties are not making or breaking that.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-10-23 08:22:48
Link | Quote | Reply

heres a story that kind of applies. long while back there were ppl shouting for a pick up diabolos prime fight. i generally DONT join in on anything pick up, for needless to say reasons, but i was bored enough to wanna join/help. the whole groups together, and its decided we go with the typical stunlock zerg. the rdm in group is asked to sub dark, other jobs are figured out, and we all head out/meet there. before we enter, its gone over one more time, and everyone says their ok np ready. we go in, open with a nuke, get drawn in, and 5-10 secs go by with no stun or chainspell. everyone is wtf face at the rdm, and sure enough we get a sleepga or nightmare and we start dropping. after the wipe everyone is like WTF. the rdm says... "oh, sorry. i guess i didnt know what you meant by chainstun". this rdm had morrigan pieces/relics too mind you (not that it matters). whether this was a product of flow burning (it wasnt), a bought account, or someone that really just was that stupid to not even say "what?", makes no difference to me. my point is, for every thousand ppl i play with, theres only 1 or 2 every once in awhile "ruining the game for everyone else".

astral flow burns arent makin or breakin anything like i said before. if your a good player, your a good player. if you suck, you suck. literally a billion+ ways to end up becoming either or.
 Ramuh.Zangada
Server: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2009-10-23 08:31:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally hate ABs', ppl hurry to 75 just to suck at thier job. It effects everyone when ppl dont know what to do.

I enjoy working for what i have, if ppl feel special because they Ab 10 jobs to 75 then enjoy ur fantasy world.

It's againt the rules to exploit normal means of gameplay, so if training the entire zone, syncing to 15 and AF them all is normal game play then idk what to say.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow
By Gilgamesh.Deathsshadow 2009-10-23 08:33:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Zangada said:
I personally hate ABs', ppl hurry to 75 just to suck at thier job. It effects everyone when ppl dont know what to do.

I enjoy working for what i have, if ppl feel special because they Ab 10 jobs to 75 then enjoy ur fantasy world.

It's againt the rules to exploit normal means of gameplay, so if training the entire zone, syncing to 15 and AF them all is normal game play then idk what to say.

i sense jealously? lol
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-23 08:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

When somebody takes a job to 75 by astral burn, never uses it ever again, and leaves it dead, then its ok.

When somebody take a job to 75 by astral burn and actually tries to use with with level 13 skills, then it becomes a problem.

Thing that people don't realize is, especially the haters, is that 90% of the people who do astral burn fall into the first catagory. Its the 10% of the people who fall into that second catagory that is the problem.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-10-23 08:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Zangada said:

i know what you should say..
nothing. at all. ever again.
 Caitsith.Blurr
By Caitsith.Blurr 2009-10-23 08:50:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
When somebody takes a job to 75 by astral burn, never uses it ever again, and leaves it dead, then its ok.

When somebody take a job to 75 by astral burn and actually tries to use with with level 13 skills, then it becomes a problem.

Thing that people don't realize is, especially the haters, is that 90% of the people who do astral burn fall into the first catagory. Its the 10% of the people who fall into that second catagory that is the problem.

same goes for you.

that shits so contradictory.. its ok to level 15jobs to 75 however and never use, but leveling 1 and being underskilled from campaigning/synching/burning isnt ?
ill say it again, if you suck, you suck, if your good, your good. your jobs/gear/status/experience dont matter jack ***considering everyone is going to have varying levels. it all comes down to, your either at least decent, or your not. burn parties, campaign, ppl buying accounts, ppl not playing as much as others....
theres no single reason for 90%+ ppl out there being a normal average players, and the remainders not.
 Valefor.Zolan
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-10-23 08:50:58
Link | Quote | Reply

You also have to understand though. Some people have spent alot of time in the same AF group with the same guys everyday and Have burned up their summoner and meritted all their jobs they currently can 100% Also used up all their low level job for leeche spots. Then you have all this time invested in this af burning linkshell that you are useless to! However if you leeche up a job to 75 and then switch back to summoner and merit it out 100% Yea you might be gimped on skill but you got to get another job to 75 while still enjoying the game the way you like while hanging out with people you like.

Unless you really want to play the job its most likely going to sit unused anyways where no one has to see your although fully merrited gimpness, and if your going to use it most burners pay the price and spend many early mornings or nights in the tree skilling up lol.
 Asura.Endelig
user: endelig
By Asura.Endelig 2009-10-23 12:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

If this is anywhere near as common on Asura as other servers I feel like I'm missing out.
 Garuda.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2009-10-23 12:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate the *** that will astral burn all their jobs to 75 and then lot against someone's main job on items that drop in an event.

If you astral burned your ranger to 75 and you haven't even used it, but then you turn around and out-lot the two people that have been ranger main for 2 years on several ranger items, well then you are a ***.
[+]
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-23 12:35:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Moldtech said:
I can see afb a job that can be a pain to level like BST

I stopped reading at this point.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-23 12:36:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Endelig said:
If this is anywhere near as common on Asura as other servers I feel like I'm missing out.

It doesn't happen on Asura.

We are:
A) Too lazy
B) Too greedy
C) Too dramawhored
D) Don't give a ***.
 Ifrit.Arawn
Server: Ifrit
user: Arawn
By Ifrit.Arawn 2009-10-23 12:42:59
Link | Quote | Reply

AFB. Astral Burn. Whatever you want to call it. Just creates people with shitty skills who can't even handle the dunes. Ever party with someone at level 60 who asks how to set a party target <bt> macro? *Shrugs* I suppose its not the end of the world and if you want to play like that more power to you; but just realize if you do it often and you get a reputation for it... people are just going to consider you a joke. Your Maat cap(not saying this is your goal AFB'ing), should you ever get one AFB'ing, will also be a joke.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ashido
Server: Lakshmi
user: Ashido
By Lakshmi.Ashido 2009-10-23 12:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Arawn said:
AFB. Astral Burn. Whatever you want to call it. Just creates people with shitty skills who can't even handle the dunes. Ever party with someone at level 60 who asks how to set a party target <bt> macro? *Shrugs* I suppose its not the end of the world and if you want to play like that more power to you; but just realize if you do it often and you get a reputation for it... people are just going to consider you a joke. Your Maat cap(not saying this is your goal AFB'ing), should you ever get one AFB'ing, will also be a joke.

Even with out AFB's you still have retards at 75 . and sporting a maats cap none the less.
[+]
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-10-23 13:00:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Ashido said:
Arawn said:

Even with out AFB's you still have retards at 75 . and sporting a maats cap none the less.

Exactly Ashido you hit the nail on the head. Arawn You think just because you grind your job up you have higher skills? Its a PLAYER BY PLAYER situation Some people that level up in Level Sync parties that ding 75 have less skills then the people who Leeched up in a AF burn and spent their off time skilling up. However the same could be said vice-versa so to make a broad generalization like that is rediculos.

When it comes down to it people that want to say AF is so terrible are either Jealous they dont have 6 friends to burn with. Upset they arent smart enough to figure out how to do it. Or pissed they spent all the time leveling old school while their ls mates and people they hate by pass them on total Exp.

Edit: ANYONE who lots for a item for a job they do not play AF burned or Leveled without syncing once is equally wrong and it makes them an a$$ no matter how they got 75
 Fenrir.Mugeded
Server: Fenrir
user: bert92020
By Fenrir.Mugeded 2009-10-23 13:05:54
Link | Quote | Reply

generally i wanted to get in to astral burn,
1. so i can get my sub job to 37, or merit some of the jobs that i wanted to merit, and get my exp buffer, due to end game events, and RL ***that is going on.

i can see why people use astral burn to get maat's hat faster, that's why you have to set your primary job and secondary job
 Phoenix.Jile
Server: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-10-23 13:06:08
Link | Quote | Reply

It's interesting reading the constant debate.

Everyone feels their side is right, to the point of insulting eachother on here >.>...

The reason people who do not AB dislike it isn't because they're jealous - they've prolly ran into the same lol-skill-less people everyone has.. gotta love whm's with lvl 10 healing accepting an invite to a 75pt with cure's doing basically nothing.

If a capped 75WHM that also has a 75BLM were wanting to take their 10SCH to 75 - then I could understand doing an AB because for the most part they're already competent with the job and other than learning a few spells and some relatively minor skilling it's not going to make them a lolSCH.

So regardless of a constant low level sync or AB as long as the person has some skills relative to the job in question, more power to them..

I will say though - the main thing that annoys me is AB'ing does destroy some of the good ol camps - sure there are alternates but it's definitely killed some camps.

So I guess I don't care how people get their xp - but Jesus..... please go immediately to into a static skillup party and cap your skills before trying to bring a skill-less job into Dynamis or a pt 50 levels above your skills, lol. If you cant survive solo'ing a bunny in Cape Terrigan, even as WHM with your new 75, you're not ready to pt with it heh..
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-10-23 13:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Arawn said:
AFB. Astral Burn. Whatever you want to call it. Just creates people with shitty skills who can't even handle the dunes. Ever party with someone at level 60 who asks how to set a party target <bt> macro?

...why the *** are you using <bt>? /assist and the <st__> commands are much better. <bt> leads to somebody waking links far too often.

I know people who have been playing for years and have multiple 75s, not one of them SMNburned. They play healers on a regular basis... and complain when people blink because they can't cure them.

C'MAAAAAAAAAAN

Seriously, the BLM in the back is doing a better job curing than you because he's using <stal> and never losing targets due to blinking. DERP.

If you can't get the basics of your job down by the time you've gone out and capped your skills at 75, leveling it in EXP won't get you any further. If you're not making an active effort to cap your skills before you take the job out, that's a whole other problem that exists independent of SMNburning. Level Sync and Campaign can have the same result.

SMNburning is the latest scapegoat for people not understanding their jobs, but people keep forgetting or ignoring that the same people didn't understand their jobs when they weren't SMNburning exp.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-23 13:18:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Help me out with this list. I read the posts and making a pro/con list for AB just to see the negative and positive effects to gameplay.

Pro:
SJ leveling
Fast EXP/Merits
Maat's Cap

Con:
Skills underleveled
Mob hording
Inexperience with job(s)
 Valefor.Zolan
By Valefor.Zolan 2009-10-23 13:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Mob hording? Who kills mobs in tunnel seriously??? Level 18 people and people farming jelly. I can't speak for all AB groups But My Ls has two rules. Jellys are not pulled except for the 2 by camp. And No mobs before the first bridge on the Bastok side are pulled for the low level people.
If all Ab groups did the same Most people in tunnel don't even care.
At the same time though if you watch careful in /sea all There will be NO one in Tunnel then when a smn group gets there a few trouble makers will come just to cause trouble.... i dont see why everyone cant work it out so everyone wins.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-23 13:32:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Well someone bitched yesterday about not being able to farm in the tunnel so I was being nice.
 Phoenix.Jile
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-10-23 13:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish, like on second life, I could just rent my own world that I allow just the people in my ls to come to lol... no competition for nm's, never a pt coming and camping on top of you... such a thing would allow AB'ers to do their thing away from mainstream as well..

Then again, this IS SE... so, /end dream

>.<
 Asura.Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-10-23 13:35:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Any idiots who rely on AB for exp should go die in a fire.

They can't get anything done that way, and they are wasting everyone's time when they want to be "helpful"
[+]
 Phoenix.Jile
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-10-23 13:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Korpg said:
Any idiots who rely on AB for exp should go die in a fire.

They can't get anything done that way, and they are wasting everyone's time when they want to be "helpful"

lol! I love reading your posts.. I don't like AB's either but... You have an eloquence about the subtle way of expressing your opinions that I'll never quite be able to match.. lol
[+]
 Odin.Roark
Server: Odin
user: Roark
By Odin.Roark 2009-10-23 13:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally have burned 4-5 jobs (that I never intend on leveling seriously) from 10 to 20ish as a sync. I have also taken my smn from 10 to the low 40s in burns.

I don't think less of people who do it, but I would never do it on a job that I intended to take to 75 outside of Smn. Burning Summoner to 75 is more legitimate in my opinion. I have friends that do it all the time and it does irk me to see people use their AF then leech on another job until they can AF again. Its just cheap... I level jobs because I enjoy the job and like to learn them well along the way, not for the epeen of having it at 75.

Level sync and the expansion of viable camps has made getting to 75 a joke.
[+]