Forum » FFXI » General » Dense Cluster from Macrocosmic Orb Campaign
Dense Cluster from Macrocosmic Orb Campaign
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2019-12-22 17:15:46
Link | Quote | Reply

How sure are we that TH effects the 6th drop slot?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-12-22 17:21:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aquatiq said: »
Still could be fake, to prove it's real drop it and show the throwaway confirmation

Or use it in a trade to complete the empyrean hmp portion. You know, the sensible thing
[+]
By Aerix 2019-12-22 19:36:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Asura.Aquatiq said: »
Still could be fake, to prove it's real drop it and show the throwaway confirmation

Or use it in a trade to complete the empyrean hmp portion. You know, the sensible thing

That requires actually being on the HMP step of an Empy weapon and to record it for proof. If he were to start another weapon right now it could take him weeks or months to get to that point depending on playtime.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2019-12-22 21:09:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »
That requires actually being on the HMP step of an Empy weapon and to record it for proof. If he were to start another weapon right now it could take him weeks or months to get to that point depending on playtime.

And, it's still easily faked with packet modification. Nothing he does will be good enough to satisfy a skeptic. I would just take it as fact at this point, SE outright hinted it had a bonanza element to it and there was the prior(also criticized) SS of the cat's eye.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2019-12-22 21:34:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Who the *** would go out of their way that much to fake 90m? Sleep with your bare *** pointing up so the skeptics can kiss it. Grats on the drop.
By Chimerawizard 2019-12-22 21:42:01
Link | Quote | Reply

To prove it's real, use it for its intended purpose.
fire up guildwork so AH shows you going from 85 to 95 in the same day; will be enough for me.
 Asura.Arico
Server: Asura
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2019-12-22 22:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Chimerawizard said: »
fire up guildwork so AH shows you going from 85 to 95 in the same day; will be enough for me.

Couldn't he just buy 1500 hmp?
By fillerbunny9 2019-12-22 23:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Arico said: »
Chimerawizard said: »

Couldn't he just buy 1500 hmp?

shhhh, logic is not allowed in an online discussion
[+]
By Sidiov 2019-12-23 15:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Give me access to your account, and I will verify.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-12-23 16:48:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Devaraja said: »

Dropped with TH4 on BLU.

I contacted the FBI they are currently verifying this photo for authenticity !
[+]
By fonewear 2019-12-23 16:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I counted all the pixels to verifying the authenticity. It's definitely real.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2019-12-23 17:40:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Well that hint from SE was 2 years ago... so hey everyone keep farming this and we can continue to get 1 a year across all servers
[+]
By Pantafernando 2019-12-23 17:52:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I contacted the FBI and they decided the guy must be banned for usage of third party tools.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [1545 days between previous and next post]
 Valefor.Kriz
Server: Valefor
user: Kriz
By Valefor.Kriz 2024-03-16 14:27:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Apologies for the necro. I was going to post a seperate topic until I realized I'd literally be using the same title.

Anywho, I'd like to present more confirmation that the Dense Cluster is a possible, albeit ultra rare, drop from Macrocosmic orb campaign.

I have been running Macrocosmic Orb campaign for a long time (you can see my edits on the area on bgwiki). I have run a considerable number of runs over the last few years (easily 2,000 plus as I have burned through over 40k seals). I had two goals.

1) Validate myself if a Dense Cluster/Cat's Eye/Other dropped from any other the BCNMs
2) Build an Empyrean weapon from the drops alone.

In that time, I focused my attention on the particular fight "Demolition Squad II". This is because bgwiki had notes that the Sahagin fight could drop the Cat's Eye and that the Kindred fight could drop the Dense Cluster. Looking at the potential gil drops of the fights that remained "unconfirmed", the Gigas fight was the most optimal choice for me to spam due to the value of Delve items.

So I ran that BCNM over and over and over, every campaign. This was made easier recently when SE split the Seal Drop Rate Campaign and the Macrocosmic Orb Campaign to run on different months, allowing me to build up huge stockpiles of seals for the recent Feb-March campaign.

Finally, this last campaign, I got a Dense Cluster from the Gigas BCNM. This was great, while a Cat's Eye would have been lovely as well, I personally preferred getting the Dense Cluster as I could use it to upgrade the Empryrean I'd get from the campaign as well.

Remembering how bgwiki denotes the existance with a large "this is potentially a fake rumor" and the forum here remarked with understandable skepticism, I figured when/if the day happened, I'd be ready. As such, for your validation, I present my evidence. I hope to use it as a reference when I edit the wiki.

1) To start, I wrote a lua to alert when drops occurred based on the item id, and it fired on id 9010 - the Dense Cluster. Here is a snippet of that code (and yes, I also alerted on Cat's Eye, Balyd Crystal, and the Apademak Horn, the very odd drop that isn't included in the Abyssea drops from Macrocosmic BCNMs but is used for JSE Reforges (SAM)):
Code
notify_ohlawdy_items = S{3289,3443,9010,8799}
    if (notify_ohlawdy_items:contains(item_id)) then
		log(res.items[item_id].english)
		local item_name_big = res.items[item_id].english
		windower.add_to_chat(123,'OH LAWDY! A '..item_name_big)
    end

2) Obviously, that is all client side and isn't proof, so here is the drop occurring on screen from slot 6 as expected. By the way, running over and over helped me independently confirm the Slot 6 drop rate on VD as ~28% for any slot 6 drop.

3) Of course, I could just be editing my client to show that or photoshoping the picture. However, thanks to running the BCNM thousands of times, I built up quite a collection of Abyssea trophies used for reforge/weapons.

4) So, not only was I able to accomplish my #1 goal, I was able to accomplish my #2 goal of building an Empyrean weapon. I chose the Staff because who would build a Staff from grinding alone (also Staff is unqiue in the drops for stage 1/2 are only used for Staff - Kukulkan Fangs and Sedna Tusks).

5) Okay, but that could be using a dressup command. So, as future evidence, I screenshotted my actual usage of the Dense Cluster to upgrade the weapon

6) At this point, I used my Guildwork sync to confirm the creation of the level 95 tier of the weapon. If you check GMT vs. EST, you can see the times line up as well. This syncs to my FFXIAH profile still, so again I lean on the hope that this is sufficient proof, alongside whatever "reputation" I could point to from my years being around.

So, I'm now satisfied any of the BCNMs for Macrocosmic Campaign can drop either Cat's Eye or Dense Cluster, depending on the BCNM.

I'll continue to run Macrocosmic in the future, as I still have the following to figure out:

• Could I potentially get a Cat's Eye from Gigas? (I don't think so. If I get a second Dense Cluster I expect that will be enough proof to me that each BCNM gets one type)

• What do the other fights drop? (Tonberry looks to be a good option to make gil, the abjuration ones even I may say I don't care to find out if they do)

• Don't I have anything better to do? (No, I think I enjoy FFXI for the mysteries more than anything else atm).

I hope this satisfies the burden of proof. Personally, given a 28% chance of getting slot 6, and a dense cluster being Ultra Rare, unmodified by TH (assuming you think this is like DRing, Lilith/Shinryu drops, etc.), getting one drop after 2k+ runs seems... lucky actually.

Hope people find this data useful. And yes, running hundreds and thousands of runs getting 5k direct gil and all those Delve/reforge/misc. items fills up your gil quite a lot. I expect the crafters and currency buyers enjoy when I unload after the campaign.
[+]
 Cerberus.Dekar
Server: Cerberus
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2024-03-16 14:40:31
Link | Quote | Reply

I salute you for your dedication. The fact that you made Hvergelmir makes this even better. Thank you for this testing. Is there anything in particular you found to streamline the process of doing these fights as quickly as possible?
[+]
 Valefor.Kriz
By Valefor.Kriz 2024-03-16 15:03:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fei'yin to Qu'bia Arena zoneline being so close to the HP Crystal was a huge help.

In addition, going /BLM to warp out was big.

The Treasury addin to autolot made getting through the trash, gil, or loot drops was also very helpful.

The Gigas are only dangerous if they charm you, which happens maybe 10% of the time to one character. Otherwise a modern team will make extremely short work of them. You could technically warp out without opening the chest, or "Run Away" and switch orbs, but I decided I wanted to open the chests just for completionism.
[+]
By jubes 2024-03-16 15:10:38
Link | Quote | Reply

was this VD? I've done almost as many orbs on various difficulties with and without TH and usually resort to D going for quantity over quality.
By Nariont 2024-03-16 15:13:51
Link | Quote | Reply

6th slot drop % is based on difficulty, possibly TH too but its 28%~ at VD, atleast based on jp wiki
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2024-03-16 15:17:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks fake to me. Only kidding! Thanks for clarifying. Crazy dedication. I like doing this campaign, but only for so long each month. I switch between Kindred Spirits and Demolition Squad to get a good mix, because Vagary stuff sells nicely on my server. I don't think anyone can ever expect to get one of these, or a Cat's Eye. It is literally winning the lottery, and the odds are very much against us, lol.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2024-03-16 17:33:09
Link | Quote | Reply

If anyone doubts it after that write up, I don’t even know what to say. Grats on the drop!
By Felgarr 2024-03-16 18:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I absolutely love your dedicated and thank you for sharing this with us. Just ...wow! and congratulations! :D

1.) Which BC are you targetting next?
2.) Do you have any intrinsic instincts that any of this may be affected by TH? (I personal use THF during campaign, but folks will say it's a placebo).
 Valefor.Kriz
By Valefor.Kriz 2024-03-16 19:17:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Felgarr said: »
I absolutely love your dedicated and thank you for sharing this with us. Just ...wow! and congratulations! :D

1.) Which BC are you targetting next?
2.) Do you have any intrinsic instincts that any of this may be affected by TH? (I personal use THF during campaign, but folks will say it's a placebo).
I appreciate all the kind responses!

As for next BCNM, I will probably continue to spam Gigas, then move to Jungle Boogymen II if I get another Dense Cluster (in my mind, proving that it's always Dense Cluster for Demolition Squad II).

I am quite certain, based on my LS and friends, that most people spam either Sahagin (Amphibian Assault II) for Cat's Eye or Kindred (Kindred Spirits II) for cluster. And as many others noted, they probably never get it (though I believe an LS member did get a drop from Kindred, but I never saw any proof).

As for TH, I do not believe it impacts it. One way I'd be convinced it would impact it would be if a picture came up of 7 slots vs. six. That would make me think TH matters to up the drop rate.

Per my understanding now, I believe the 28% slot 6 drop rate on VD (which I had confirmed myself by... actually having 985 slot 6 drops over 3500 mobs over 875 runs - a 28.1% drop rate - from my first run documented campaign in August 2023.) to be static and not impacted by TH.

And if the slot 6 drop rate isn't impacted by TH, then TH wouldn't make one drop more like (this is why I made the reference to Defending Ring and Malignance drops- boy is getting that last Malignance piece hard when you know you are getting the other drops each time which you already have).

I would note that I ran almost 90%+ of my runs without a main THF. Only TH4 from other jobs.

In my opinion, the most critical thing is to win fast and just brute force the drop. Originally I brought a RUN to tank and prevent Charm, but in the end I just had the RUN run a DPS set instead- but if I have a THF around, hey whatever, can't hurt to run with max TH.

Also, it continues to baffle me why the Samurai Empy Reforge item, the Apademak Horn, doesn't drop. The very rare login campaigns that offer Abyssea trophies are designed for Empy Reforge do offer it, but I've not seen one from Gigas. I guess that means no stage 3 Sword/Katana Empyrean weapon, gotta grind Apademak the old fashioned way (same as the login campaign/Macrocosmic campaign lacking Fistule Discharge - Axe/Club/Bow Stage1 material - & Harp/Shield stage 1/2 drops).

Also, I must again point out that if you are sitting on capped seals, please consider not grinding Kraken Club over Macrocosmic. Since we get most of our seals via CP/ML, we get tons of Sacred Crests. The idea of converting them (even during campaign at 2:1 vs. 3:1) for Kraken runs at 60 seals (120 if conversion) per vs. 20 seals for Macrocosmic without conversion... Lawdy. I'd take Macro in a heartbeat.

That being said, getting a rare drop like Kraken legit (vs. buying it) is a great feeling, I'm sure. But I'll take more Empys instead.
[+]
By Hopalong 2024-03-16 20:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

I had no idea Dense Cluster existed. All that time might have been better spent just earning gil but I'm super pleased you got the drop! That's fantastic investigating and dedication to an idea that we all benefit from.

I have thousands of seals but for me, the campaign is so tedious to run. Appreciate the tips to make it more streamlined and I'm inspired to go again.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-03-16 21:30:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopalong said: »
All that time might have been better spent just earning gil

So like it isn't as if Macrocosmic orbs aren't worth gil. Considering this is about the campaign, depending on which one you're doing you get high value materials such as 100 pieces, heavy metal pouches, vagary boss materials, etc etc. not to mention the usual oboro stones and sometimes even a decently valuable scroll. Not making HTBF/Delve money off of it but it isnt a complete waste of time (ignoring the fact that just playing the game as an efficincy monry printing simulator gets *** boring). Personally prefer the much more steady return on these over the tiny copium chance of a kraken club (more realistically, just a couple oxbloods)
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-03-16 21:59:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, he also got a billion gil/hundreds of hours worth of ***farming empyrean boss items.

Time spent pretty well, considering. Anything is better than glavoid or chloris farming.
[+]
 Valefor.Cinzia
user: Mipha
By Valefor.Cinzia 2024-03-16 22:07:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's definitely worse than Crep Cloak, Kriz knows I tracked those runs and it's about 1/500 to 1/750 for it to drop, compared this dense cluster.. Good job on your drop!
By Chimerawizard 2024-03-16 22:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

what I'm reading is that I need to do every AF quest so when that rolls back around I can just make af109 for all the gear while hoping for empy weapon upgrade mats and maybe a dense cluster, cat's eye, bayld crystal, or some hq abjurations.
[+]
By jubes 2024-03-16 22:44:57
Link | Quote | Reply

consider posting your data to official forums, who knows they might admit to lack of apademak horns and fistule discharges being an oversight.
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
By Asura.Dexprozius 2024-03-17 22:05:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Obviously nothing is concrete, Dense and Cats eye and w/e the bayld one is could be from ALL of them, or specific ones. That being said, I'm curious why you chose the Gigas one, the charm thing seems like it'd slow down clear speed alot. It's by no means a real threat, but just an inconvenience. Just seems like if you were to brute force a few thousand runs there'd be more convenient ones to pick from.

Did you by any chance test charm resist gear once you went full melee? Also, does there being fewer mobs impact drop rates/slots?
This may be an already well established understanding but I'm not aware.
By jubes 2024-03-17 22:21:16
Link | Quote | Reply

the ones that have 6 mobs can still drop a 6th slot item even though only 4 mobs drop slots 1-5
[+]