People Of Asura - Time To Switch Servers.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Asura » People of Asura - Time to switch servers.
People of Asura - Time to switch servers.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Asura.Suteru
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2019-09-14 11:49:17
Link | Quote | Reply

The only people who transfer because of the AH are crafting mules.
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2019-09-14 12:27:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn’t come for AH, I came to play with people, then found a great group to do things with, and have never looked back.
[+]
 Bahamut.Hismena
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Hismena 2019-09-14 12:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Elazar said: »
I didn’t come for AH, I came to play with people, then found a great group to do things with, and have never looked back.

You know, I left Asura to go play with a great group of people. Groups and Asura aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kaoriasada
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Kaoriasada 2019-09-14 12:50:07
Link | Quote | Reply

You can have Vize off Bismarck. He's a real team player.
[+]
 Asura.Elazar
user: Elazar1
By Asura.Elazar 2019-09-14 13:10:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Hismena said: »
Asura.Elazar said: »

You know, I left Asura to go play with a great group of people. Groups and Asura aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
Agreed, but I spent probably close to 7 years on baha and at the time was literally two end game ls’s there and none within my time zone. There is no such problem here, each to their own.
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2019-09-14 13:59:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
If anyone says they're on asura for any reason other than AH one of two things.

They're legit HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, no ***, they like stupid *** drama yells and dipshittery.

Or they're there because "this person is there", and if you ask "that person" why they're there, you'll either get "AH" "HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE" or "this person is here" And you follow the chain until you hit "AH" or "HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE" this covers the entirety of the population.

(not willing to waste another $18 to server transfer is also a valid answer*)((mercing counts as "this person is here"))

For the slow folks... Everyone is here because of the AH, or they're linked to someone here because of the AH.
You can say this here, you can say it there, you can say this wherever the *** you'd like I guess but it's not correct.

For a majority of players, the well stocked AH is just a nice side benefit to going to a more populated server.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-14 14:09:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I can guarantee if they made world wide ah people would spread out. It's literally never going to happen so there's really no point for you to bother losing an argument.

The current system makes money. There is absolutely no reason to change it. If they could get away with it they would raise the transfer price.

I watch the same guy make 2 6 box parties every week and sell them. That's $30x12 then $20x12 that square gets. And that's one guy. They're not going to stop that.
 Asura.Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2019-09-14 14:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

They're never going to do it because it'll do jack ***for population spread.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-09-14 14:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I left Valefor (Kujata native, but that was merged into Valefor) because all of the friends I had made over a dozen or so years had stopped playing. I wanted to go somewhere that I could make new friends, but the addition of Trusts and the fact that I am constantly warping via homepoints or Survival Guides (meaning my screen is blacked out and I miss chat) means I've not had the chance to make friends like I used to.

Before, you could spend several hours (or all day) in a party getting to know people while watching your linkshell for chat and keeping up that way. No missing things because constant "sorry, zoning".

Honestly, the draw of possible future friends to adventure with and get things done with enticed me. The full auction house is a nice side-benefit, but all AH items that come to the top of my head can be found via a shout/yell if the price is high enough for a crafter or grown/obtained by someone with patience. Even Gobbie-bag items can be skipped on low-pop servers when the Mog Garden campaign comes around and you can buy Gobbie-stews to circumvent the individual items.

On the other hand, there is a drawback of having a high population Auction House. The increased demand causes inflated prices. AF for jobs like DNC, BLU, COR, PUP, THF, SMN, and SCH that require at least some AH items... the prices on that stuff is scary here.

Anyhoo, I came for the chance to meet people, but never really ever found any group of friends that could compare to the closeness I had with others from early FFXI life. It's so bad that I consider this to be a single-player RPG in nearly all content (and have forced myself to solo content that /should/ have been done in a party, just for the challenge sometimes).

I kind of like to defend Asura yells as not really THAT BAD. Maybe I spend more time out of yell zones though doing things. Due to the relatively still high population, you're going to have some trolls, drunks, and general people looking to bait and bamboozle chat. There are people with severe mental illness around as well. I've seen my share of aspergers-like personalities. I've seen people use the /yell feature to obtain a captive audience for them to spout of their social justice warrior, basement-dwelling, and general trolling comments.

You're pretty much going to have that in every MMO where the GMs have abandoned it.

For what it /could/ be, I don't think it's as bad as people really make it out to be. It's almost a joke now, as if it's like "Oh, that's classic Asura with another stupid comment". I'm not exactly going to defend people from Asura that ***-post on these forums because I don't lurk in every job forum and who can even keep up with threads with tens-of-thousands of posts. There have to be some dumbasses that deserve the reputation they build on here, but don't bundle us all together.

Let's put it this way. I recognize more people from the few forum threads I do get to read on these forums than I recognize by name on Asura. There are maybe ten or so names I'll recognize instantly on linkshell and about 3~4 trolls from yell I recognize there compared to around 10~15 people I recognize by avatar/name on these forums. It's pretty neck-and-neck.

Wall-'o-text later, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be and it could be worse.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-09-14 15:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Wall-'o-text later, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be and it could be worse.
That's because you weren't around during the HNMLS days.

Asura's rep was ***then, it never improved since, even though the drama is lame today.
 Asura.Dibble
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2019-09-14 15:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

EVERYONE come to Asura, then SE can close ALL the other servers and give us a discount on the sub.

That's how it works, right?

Right?

Guys... ?
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-09-14 15:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
That's because you weren't around during the HNMLS days.

Asura's rep was ***then, it never improved since, even though the drama is lame today.

Much like "backwater" places like Bismark, Valefor, Quetzalcoatl, etc... nobody knew Asura drama outside of Asura unless they were bringing it outside-of-server via ancient dead KI or Alla forums. "What happens in Asura stays in Asura". At least until the population/migration boom

The one thing that confused me was why "Asura" of all servers somehow got big. Whoever instrumented the server-migration boom back in the day should be working in mass communications marketing. Asura is an avatar/eidolon/summon that is so... rarely used in the series. Based on name recognition alone, I was shocked we all didn't end up on some place named after a more series-recurring server like Bahamut, Odin, or Phoenix. Nearly ever FF game has had them. The only Asura that comes to mind for me is from IV (granted I never played 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, or side series since PS2 era).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-09-14 15:36:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The one thing that confused me was why "Asura" of all servers somehow got big.
It was all me.

I'm so awesome that people had to flock to Asura to get a glimpse of the majestic might that was me.

Let me radiance shine down on your poor, pitiful soul! May you find salvation in the epicness that is me.
[+]
 Asura.Frod
By Asura.Frod 2019-09-14 15:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

It's at the top of the list.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-09-14 16:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

It's actually not the top of the list. It's not one specific thing that made asura the biggest server. (it is one specific thing keeping it the biggest server, there is a difference)

The reddit push probably helped the most. Offers of free help to new players and what not in 2012-14. (y'all got conned)
Coupled with always being primarily NA. I know that being on a mostly JP server originally I would've moved to somewhere with more NA.

All it takes is a couple, then their friends go and their friends and it snowballs.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-09-14 16:30:07
Link | Quote | Reply

It's also a newer server so there's less crashes. Not many crashes compared to the original servers.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-09-14 17:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

It was all me.

I'm so awesome that people had to flock to Asura to get a glimpse of the majestic might that was me.

Let me radiance shine down on your poor, pitiful soul! May you find salvation in the epicness that is me.
Bs it was me, ask any guy on the server.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2019-09-14 18:09:20
Link | Quote | Reply

You're the only reason I stay... and the reason I came. Oh. I see what you did there.
[+]
 Asura.Beatsbytaru
By Asura.Beatsbytaru 2019-09-14 19:26:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You're not going to get a real population push away from Asura to other servers with this dead gay game by this point. I think a lot of people have made Asura their final resting places like geezers and Florida.
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-09-14 19:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »
You're not going to get a real population push away from Asura to other servers with this dead gay game by this point. I think a lot of people have made Asura their final resting places like geezers and Florida.

100%, I've noticed that people try Asura as a last attempt before quitting the game. If they don't enjoy Asura, they just leave.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-09-15 00:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Senaki said: »
Asura.Beatsbytaru said: »

100%, I've noticed that people try Asura as a last attempt before quitting the game. If they don't enjoy Asura, they just leave.
My death struggle has been going on for a couple of years then. Although atm its getting really close lol
[+]
 Asura.Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2019-09-15 09:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I still think they either don't know how to merge servers or just plain don't have the resources.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-09-15 10:11:20
Link | Quote | Reply

It's also a newer server so there's less crashes. Not many crashes compared to the original servers.

No server has a significant history of crashing, and I'm not sure what evidence you have that it's newer. Asura certainly has worse performance in instanced areas than anywhere else.

Asura is the biggest server because we've had 5 years of threads where Asurans told everyone to come to asura. It went from 10-15% bigger to 300% solely because of the impact of those kinds of threads all over.

Asura.Suteru said: »
I still think they either don't know how to merge servers or just plain don't have the resources.
Neither SE nor the players on small servers want more Asura-sized servers. They have all sorts of issues with their instancing code, and the amount of players on Asura creates more work for them trying to work around it. If people wanted to go to Asura, they would've paid and done it.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-09-15 13:15:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Asura certainly has worse performance in instanced areas than anywhere else.
That's because the servers do not share each other's space. Especially in instanced areas. So if you have 500 people trying to get into one instanced area vs. 5, of course it's going to be a worse experience.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-09-15 13:20:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I know why it happens, but trying to claim Asura has any sort of performance advantage is entirely unsubstantiated as far as I can tell. There's no reason to believe it has newer hardware unless you have inside info, they've changed out hardware a half dozen times in the last 2 years and taken down all servers to do it each time.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-09-15 13:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
I know why it happens, but trying to claim Asura has any sort of performance advantage is entirely unsubstantiated as far as I can tell. There's no reason to believe it has newer hardware unless you have inside info, they've changed out hardware a half dozen times in the last 2 years and taken down all servers to do it each time.
Ehh, I guess I should have stated that this was a theory.

But of course I have insider info. My father works for Nintendo Square Enix!
 Odin.Senaki
Server: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2019-09-15 16:35:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Suteru said: »

I'm kinda along those lines too. I think they aren't really encouraged to find a means to do it either, given that people pay to swap. But I will express that some of the lower population servers do desperately need a merge. Even just if they merged 2 servers with an average player base of 300, it would still be less then Odin lol.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-09-15 16:59:43
Link | Quote | Reply

They quite obviously know how to merge servers, they've done it before and it isn't a terribly complicated process. They choose not to, because bulky servers are not great with how limited much of their content is. Real instances quickly develop packet loss, and the 'fake' instances like older HTBC only have 3 copies, resulting in them filling up very easily.

Players are more than capable of paying for a transfer, nobody on FFXI is still a kid. The truth is that the people who want a bigger server badly enough have already moved to a bigger server. A merge hurts those of us that do not want a bigger server, and we have no choice in the matter.