SCH Gear Suggestions And Discussion. (Large Post Warning)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » SCH Gear Suggestions and Discussion. (Large post warning)
SCH Gear Suggestions and Discussion. (Large post warning)
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-15 11:26:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I would never get that lucky lol.
 Asura.Chefm
Server: Asura
user: Chefm
By Asura.Chefm 2009-10-16 09:01:22
Link | Quote | Reply

"Elemental Magic Skill lowers the resistance rate and spell interruption rate for Elemental Magic spells. It does not affect the damage of direct damage spells."

"INT: A stat that helps determine the effectiveness of Elemental Magic spells, Black Magic Enfeebling Magic spells, Black Magic Enhancing Magic spells, Ninjutsu and some Blue Magic magical spells"

SCH as never had a problem with Macc. the 320/120 Idea is good, but only if you want to have spell like:Direct Damage (DD)
Example: Thunder, Blizzaga II, Freeze.
Elemental Debuffs
Example: Shock, Frost, Choke.
Helix
Example Hydrohelix, Cryohelix, Luminohelix
Stick and only stick.

But the thing is SCH have NOO Matt. SCH suck at Matt.Helix Need MAB your nukes need MAB .you cant make something better if something is already top...A sch needs INT+MAB
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-16 10:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry I missed this thread for so long, Clin. My birthday was the 14th so I haven't been on until just now. Lol.

Now to go back and read up on this thread >.>
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 10:09:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Chefm said:
"Elemental Magic Skill lowers the resistance rate and spell interruption rate for Elemental Magic spells. It does not affect the damage of direct damage spells."

"INT: A stat that helps determine the effectiveness of Elemental Magic spells, Black Magic Enfeebling Magic spells, Black Magic Enhancing Magic spells, Ninjutsu and some Blue Magic magical spells"

SCH as never had a problem with Macc. the 320/120 Idea is good, but only if you want to have spell like:Direct Damage (DD)
Example: Thunder, Blizzaga II, Freeze.
Elemental Debuffs
Example: Shock, Frost, Choke.
Helix
Example Hydrohelix, Cryohelix, Luminohelix
Stick and only stick.

But the thing is SCH have NOO Matt. SCH suck at Matt.Helix Need MAB your nukes need MAB .you cant make something better if something is already top...A sch needs INT+MAB

Yeah the only time i would use the high resist set would be for if i actually went onward to endgame HNM or whatever high level mobs.

I feel as if my main nuking set with the +20MAB (while Ugg in effect) and IN+51 WITHOUT food or SS/Hailstorm (+66 INT WITH) will be my bread and butter for most things i do, be it manaburn, solo, or minor events.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 10:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Sorry I missed this thread for so long, Clin. My birthday was the 14th so I haven't been on until just now. Lol.

Now to go back and read up on this thread >.>

Oh it's all good and happy birthday. i feel as if i built up the gear sets pretty decently, i know theres little trivial things that are preference such as Forest Rope vs Hierarch for Curing. Price vs performance is a big factor to me.

I'm about to hit 69 in the next 30-40 minutes in this PT :D
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-16 10:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Chefm said:
But the thing is SCH have NOO Matt. SCH suck at Matt.

This isn't necessarily true.

Yes, SCH does not have as much MAB as, say, a BLM. But to do some comparisons:

--BLM/anything has 32 base MAB.
--SCH/RDM has 20 base MAB and SCH/BLM has 24 base MAB.

--BLM can get a maximum of +52 MAB in gear.
--SCH can get a maximum of +42 MAB in gear.

Altogether, that means BLM has 84 MAB, and SCH has 66 MAB. In theory, that's a difference of 18% per nuke.

Then if we factor in Ebullience, which adds anywhere from 20 to 50~ MAB, depending on your current gear, or even going with a straight 20 across the theoretical board, no matter how good your gear is, SCH would have more MAB than BLM.

I would like to point out here that I do realize BLM can merit an additional 10 MAB for a certain element. However, in the example used, the Helix line of spells was taken into account. SCH can merit 10 MAB for ALL Helix spells. So just for continuity's sake, I'll disregard merits for the time being.

Anyway, where was I?

It should also be noted that at 75, a BLM/nosub has only 2 more INT than a SCH/nosub. Similarly, BLM has 276 Elemental skill (Again, disregarding merits) and SCH has 256. This is almost made up for by the fact that BLM can get a total of +60 Elemental skill, whereas SCH can get a total of +64.

When you think of all the things SCH gets that BLM doesn't (Forced weather, +7 INT from Stormsurge, JAs that enhance not only potency, but Accuracy of nukes, and a spell that enhances Spell accuracy by 25-40), you begin to realize that SCH not only works just as well, if not better than BLM in theory, but also in practice.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 10:28:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Chefm said:
But the thing is SCH have NOO Matt. SCH suck at Matt.

This isn't necessarily true.

Yes, SCH does not have as much MAB as, say, a BLM. But to do some comparisons:

--BLM/anything has 32 base MAB.
--SCH/RDM has 20 base MAB and SCH/BLM has 24 base MAB.

--BLM can get a maximum of +52 MAB in gear.
--SCH can get a maximum of +42 MAB in gear.

Altogether, that means BLM has 84 MAB, and SCH has 66 MAB. In theory, that's a difference of 18% per nuke.

Then if we factor in Ebullience, which adds anywhere from 20 to 50~ MAB, depending on your current gear, or even going with a straight 20 across the theoretical board, no matter how good your gear is, SCH would have more MAB than BLM.

I would like to point out here that I do realize BLM can merit an additional 10 MAB for a certain element. However, in the example used, the Helix line of spells was taken into account. SCH can merit 10 MAB for ALL Helix spells. So just for continuity's sake, I'll disregard merits for the time being.

Anyway, where was I?

It should also be noted that at 75, a BLM/nosub has only 2 more INT than a SCH/nosub. Similarly, BLM has 276 Elemental skill (Again, disregarding merits) and SCH has 256. This is almost made up for by the fact that BLM can get a total of +60 Elemental skill, whereas SCH can get a total of +64.

When you think of all the things SCH gets that BLM doesn't (Forced weather, +7 INT from Stormsurge, JAs that enhance not only potency, but Accuracy of nukes, and a spell that enhances Spell accuracy by 25-40), you begin to realize that SCH not only works just as well, if not better than BLM in theory, but also in practice.

Lets leave it all at that, i don't want to muddy this thread up with an argument based on that lol. So i want to stick to a conversation on the 320/120 build idea, as well as get more input for other gear sets such as Enfeeble.

Also what should i get on the Royal Redingote? Macc+4 and Matt+4?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-16 10:30:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Lets leave it all at that, i don't want to muddy this thread up with an argument based on that lol. So i want to stick to a conversation on the 320/120 build idea, as well as get more input for other gear sets such as Enfeeble.

320/120 is less relevant for SCH, with all the M.ACC-boosting we can get.

And yeah. M.ACC/M.Attack. There aren't really any other options for good nuking pieces, I don't think.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 10:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Clinpachi said:

320/120 is less relevant for SCH, with all the M.ACC-boosting we can get.

And yeah. M.ACC/M.Attack. There aren't really any other options for good nuking pieces, I don't think.

Well the 320/120 is for high resist only, the second nuking set (standard one) would be my priority. (And because i based it off of yours somewhat i can only assume its correct for things such as manaburns ect).
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-16 10:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Well the 320/120 is for high resist only, the second nuking set (standard one) would be my priority. (And because i based it off of yours somewhat i can only assume its correct for things such as manaburns ect).

Pick up some Haste gear, ask a mage for Haste spell (Preferably RDM since they can't refresh you anyway), and *** Klimaform. Seriously lol. 1 minute duration, 1 minute 30 second recast. It's up more often than it's down.

Should be enough M.ACC to get you to an acceptable high resist status without much devotion toward specific M.ACC/Elemental skill gear.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 10:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Clinpachi said:

Pick up some Haste gear, ask a mage for Haste spell (Preferably RDM since they can't refresh you anyway), and *** Klimaform. Seriously lol. 1 minute duration, 1 minute 30 second recast. It's up more often than it's down.

Should be enough M.ACC to get you to an acceptable high resist status without much devotion toward specific M.ACC/Elemental skill gear.

What haste gear can you put in that wouldn't hurt the INT or MAB?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-16 10:56:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:

You have spellcast, right? I'm saying just equip the gear for Klimaform casting. Get your recast down to 1:30, then swap back to your nuking gear.

(For best results, use it with Manifestation. Your BLMs will love you.)
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 11:00:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Clinpachi said:

You have spellcast, right? I'm saying just equip the gear for Klimaform casting. Get your recast down to 1:30, then swap back to your nuking gear.

(For best results, use it with Manifestation. Your BLMs will love you.)

Oh ok gotcha, and yeah spellcast is auto loaded but i need to completely write an XML from scratch or find one for SCH. I'll worry about that when i get closer to 75.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-16 11:07:19
Link | Quote | Reply

On a related note, consider putting a few merits into Focalization when the time comes. M.ACC Stratagem. +5 per merit, up to +25 with just a stratagem.

Bear in mind that it does use two charges, but it's really nice for shorter NM fight situations where a good Helix will do a majority of your damage anyway. Hailstorm >> Manifestation+Klimaform >> Focalization >> Ebullience >> Cryohelix.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 11:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
On a related note, consider putting a few merits into Focalization when the time comes. M.ACC Stratagem. +5 per merit, up to +25 with just a stratagem.

Bear in mind that it does use two charges, but it's really nice for shorter NM fight situations where a good Helix will do a majority of your damage anyway. Hailstorm >> Manifestation+Klimaform >> Focalization >> Ebullience >> Cryohelix.

Yeah i plan to merit like I've never merited before upon completion of SCH to 75 within the next week or so. Do you get decent invites on SCH75 for either manaburn or normal nyzul colibri?

If not i can simply switch to my 75DRG which has very decent gear and max polearm merits and just go haywire otherwise.

Either way doesn't matter.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 13:34:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds good to me, a drakesbane to the face sounds much funner anyhow :D
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-16 13:54:17
Link | Quote | Reply

You'd be surprised how many invites SCH gets to merits.

Enspells (Though not as effective as Haste) do up your DoT, though they're better if you have MNK, NIN, THF, that kind of thing for lower delay.

Stoneskin-ga (My personal favorite, both as SCH and as DD) gives you the obvious 350 Stoneskin, which allows you to have more fun and hit some JAs you wouldn't normally hit (Looking at you, Souleater).

Sublimation means you can actually participate in sleeping mobs incase your BRD had an unlucky pull and started getting owned, something like that. You can't get slept with Sublimation charging.

Throw on Helix and a few nukes for Wivres, otherwise save it for the killing blow on Colibri, and you'll find you'd up your exp-per-hour by that little bit.
 Seraph.Zoey
Server: Seraph
user: ZoeyofS
By Seraph.Zoey 2009-10-16 14:05:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Enternius said:

Yeah i plan to merit like I've never merited before upon completion of SCH to 75 within the next week or so. Do you get decent invites on SCH75 for either manaburn or normal nyzul colibri?

If not i can simply switch to my 75DRG which has very decent gear and max polearm merits and just go haywire otherwise.

I applaud your choice to raise SCH. While it is not the best merit job like brd,rdm,sam... it is very usefull.

If you want to buffer your sch I find it best to take the blm road of manaburn>solo>campaign however if you /sea all invite 75 you may see if your SCH is maybe the only healer around. Merit the same way really. Even as blm the best way to get into manaburns aside from starting one is to go to puddings and solo them. If a team is there and short one you should join it. SCH on Ebony pudding is about as fast as solo xp can get just get your macros in order.

Drakesbane DRGs are soooo welcome in merit parties.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-16 18:41:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Zoey said:
Clinpachi said:
Enternius said:

I applaud your choice to raise SCH. While it is not the best merit job like brd,rdm,sam... it is very usefull.

If you want to buffer your sch I find it best to take the blm road of manaburn>solo>campaign however if you /sea all invite 75 you may see if your SCH is maybe the only healer around. Merit the same way really. Even as blm the best way to get into manaburns aside from starting one is to go to puddings and solo them. If a team is there and short one you should join it. SCH on Ebony pudding is about as fast as solo xp can get just get your macros in order.

Drakesbane DRGs are soooo welcome in merit parties.

Well the reasons were listed in the OP so i really feel that if i'm going to be screwed into a mage job for eternity i may as well put some fire into it (literally lol).

Enternius said:

Enspells (Though not as effective as Haste) do up your DoT, though they're better if you have MNK, NIN, THF, that kind of thing for lower delay.

Stoneskin-ga (My personal favorite, both as SCH and as DD) gives you the obvious 350 Stoneskin, which allows you to have more fun and hit some JAs you wouldn't normally hit (Looking at you, Souleater).

Sublimation means you can actually participate in sleeping mobs incase your BRD had an unlucky pull and started getting owned, something like that. You can't get slept with Sublimation charging.

Throw on Helix and a few nukes for Wivres, otherwise save it for the killing blow on Colibri, and you'll find you'd up your exp-per-hour by that little bit.

True, plus i would assume SCH over WHM for better sublimination and more stratagems in the long haul.

Thanks guys for the awesome thread this far, i'm sure it will slowly fall down the ladder until i pick it back up with more sets or macro discussion.

Just hit 70 a little bit ago.
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-16 21:54:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:

What?

Enspells are mitigated to 2Handed weapons like GA too, in fact most of the time Enspells parse more DMG on 2Handed rather than dual weild.

You dont magically hit 350 Stoneskin. It requires a pretty nice MND build. At 256 Enhancing, You only need 95 MND (total), to maxed out stoneskin potency.