SCH Gear Suggestions And Discussion. (Large Post Warning)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » SCH Gear Suggestions and Discussion. (Large post warning)
SCH Gear Suggestions and Discussion. (Large post warning)
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 21:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
I think Goliard is better than Numerists, but don't quote me.

I'm 4/5 goliard >_> of course the hands are the ones i'm missing Q_Q lmao.
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
Server: Carbuncle
user: okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-14 21:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes it's a great set! But I would want to use an Insect Ring and a Balrahn Ring from ToAU if I could, but sadly don't have either. But it needs more INT sometimes imo.
[+]
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-14 21:40:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Ninian said:
I think Goliard is better than Numerists, but don't quote me.

I'm 4/5 goliard >_> of course the hands are the ones i'm missing Q_Q lmao.

Ouch ; ; /comfort I reaaaaally need to do Nyzul sometime. .___.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-14 21:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

If you do Einherjar, Omega Ring's really really sexy for pretty much everything. I also need a Balrahn's.... (/cry)
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 21:48:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
If you do Einherjar, Omega Ring's really really sexy for pretty much everything. I also need a Balrahn's.... (/cry)

Omega would be considered along with Morgana's Choker.

So back on topic for feet, stick to AF1? I don't like the idea of Rostrums for the -HP, which in turn hurts sublimination.
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-14 21:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Scholar's Loafers are great piece to use. Might want to switch to Goliard Feet when you pop Dark arts though.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 21:53:17
Link | Quote | Reply

So goliard feet instead of yigit for nuking? I had asked a few people who answered yigit as better for nuking. Either way i'm totally ok with that for the fact i HAVE goliard feet already and DON'T have yigit just yet.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-14 21:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say Goliard are better, but I'm not a nukin' mage. :<

Edit: I'd use them since you have them anyway.

Another Edit because I'm a scatterbrain: I idle in Rostrum for the fastcast, but I can see where the -HP would be an issue.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 22:05:18
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM set on the OP updated with Argute Bracers Hands, and Scholar's Loafers.
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-14 22:06:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:

Another Edit because I'm a scatterbrain: I idle in Rostrum for the fastcast, but I can see where the -HP would be an issue.

Idling in the AF feet would be a better option because they give 10% Casting speed and 5% recast timer reduction for that fast cast =X
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 22:08:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Okamiwolf said:
Ninian said:

Idling in the AF feet would be a better option because they give 10% Casting speed and 5% recast timer reduction for that fast cast =X

But for sheer nuking, which would you recommend. I fixed the WHM set based on suggestions from others, now it seems to be Goliard vs Yigit. If you need to separate them based on High Resist vs Standard Nuking thats fine as well since i will have two sets for that.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-14 22:09:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh duh. Sorry, I'm not a SCH and forgot. I idle in those on BRD WHM and SMN @____@;
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-14 22:11:22
Link | Quote | Reply

It would depend on the mob you're up against. Yigit Crackows would be the best piece to get damage from, and Numerist Pumps for more resisty type mobs. Goliard feet put you at a nice even standpoint. Giving you some of both without sacrificing too much mag acc or mag attack.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-14 22:18:45
Link | Quote | Reply

But the single most horrible problem I've found with my SCH is that when you're in full MP gear for Light Arts, and then just dump all of that MPfor when you jump into nuking gear. I have about 980 something MP in Light Arts and the moment I jump into nuking gear you see that MP drop to a small 720.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 22:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=115339

Sufficient to be posted as a high resist set? Multiple opinions would be great.

Okamiwolf said:
But the single most horrible problem I've found with my SCH is that when you're in full MP gear for Light Arts, and then just dump all of that MPfor when you jump into nuking gear. I have about 980 something MP in Light Arts and the moment I jump into nuking gear you see that MP drop to a small 720.

I actually was wondering about the draw backs of going back and forth, small price to pay i suppose.

I still don't know what to use for standard nuking feet. I would probaby go for the Numerists during high resist.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 22:28:17
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=115026 This is enternius's high resist set for SCH. There are quite a number of differences.

This is where choices and differences get tough i supppose ><

discuss :D
 Bahamut.Rydiya
Server: Bahamut
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-10-14 22:28:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a fairly solid set, but I will say this.
Do NOT cast nukes in elemental grips. Bugard Strap +1 or nothing at all.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 22:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Rydiya said:

It's a fairly solid set, but I will say this.
Do NOT cast nukes in elemental grips. Bugard Strap +1 or nothing at all.

Interesting reply because i thought the same thing until people TOLD me to use elemental grips that match the nukes. This is why i am bringing SCH to the discussion table and making a accurate post because this is the one job i want to get actual fact finding and prepare for.

I can admit before i started taking SCH past 37 i didn't know a ton about the job or know what to expect. I'm not afraid to admit i'm unsure about several things. I've been samurai so long i feel out of the loop on many things.
 Remora.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-10-14 23:04:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Uhm Macc +2 > 1int....so yea grips are better
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 23:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah when matching the staff element+matching element grip i assumed it was better than +1 INT as well. >< so confused lol.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-14 23:08:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I heard Bugard+1 is better, and I use it to debuff on BRD.

Edit: Not really helpful, but I used to use an Earth Grip and was corrected. :s
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-10-14 23:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm aside from it giving mp..I dont see how it could be better x.x lol
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
Server: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-14 23:12:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
Aaroca said:
Ok lets start with healing since for some reason I can't see your nuke set. Laggy internets.

I would use errent cape, would not use af1 hands OR argute boots. Otherwise the set looks decent.

For hands I use Argute bracers+1 or Devotees+1. AF1 hands really give you no bonus in my eyes. Oddy enough AF1 feet are better than Argute simply because you have do be using celerity and whatever the other JA is to use, and for AF1 you only have to have grimiore on to activate the 10% casting speed.

I macro in argute gown and AF1 head instead of goliard head and body to get the 4 tick sublimation. But when I do use a cure or AoE magic, I macro in goliard head/body.

I figured since the Relic boots had Healing Skill+7 and MP+20 that they would be much better than rostrums (which i also have if that's an option).

Errant cape is 1 million gil on my server and is not worth it compared to the altruistic if i can actually land a lot on it.

The only reason i put AF hands over Devot+1 is that i'm not huge on MND+ for curing, i have some from that set which i feel is decent (not counting for stoneskin) and i am more into MP+ and emnity-

I figured i would need an alternative to AF hands. The Relic hands look like the answer i was wanting, same MP with MND and Emnity- so that's right up the alley i just mentioned thanks.

Also in concerns to the sublimination gear (I didn't mention it but i should have) I had already planned to macro in those pieces during that time it's charging.

so....

now concerning the Dark Arts (Nuking) comments this far, That was my plan to gear as a BLM and then just add in a high resist set where i need more Elemental Magic Skill+.

Keep the conversation going i'm more than open to suggestions or more alternatives. I am on a huge budget at this moment in time as you could tell with what i do have.

Well hey you didnt say budget you said you loved the job :P!
Okamiwolf said:
You might also want to look into a 50% casting speed build for SCH. For SCH it is a very easy thing to do.

-15% /rdm
-10% Light/Dark Arts
-10% Scholar's Loafers
-10% Argute Mortarboard
-5% Royal Redingote
-2% Rostrum Pumps
-2% Loquacious Earring

Those are the sources of fast cast that I can pull off the top of my head, but as you can see getting to the -50% casting speed is very easy, and eliminates the need for Celerity and Alacrity unless you're doing it for the recast timers or if you have the Argute Loafers (casting time and recast to 40% of original timer with corresponding weather)

you cant wear Rostrum pumps and scholars loafers at the same time :<
Honestly I would rather use AF1 over af2 because its a mix of -ENM and -10% spellcast. 7 Healing skill wouldn't really do much, would you wear healing torque? Plus they are free!
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-14 23:17:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Aaroca said:
Clinpachi said:
Aaroca said:
Ok lets start with healing since for some reason I can't see your nuke set. Laggy internets.

I would use errent cape, would not use af1 hands OR argute boots. Otherwise the set looks decent.

For hands I use Argute bracers+1 or Devotees+1. AF1 hands really give you no bonus in my eyes. Oddy enough AF1 feet are better than Argute simply because you have do be using celerity and whatever the other JA is to use, and for AF1 you only have to have grimiore on to activate the 10% casting speed.

I macro in argute gown and AF1 head instead of goliard head and body to get the 4 tick sublimation. But when I do use a cure or AoE magic, I macro in goliard head/body.

I figured since the Relic boots had Healing Skill+7 and MP+20 that they would be much better than rostrums (which i also have if that's an option).

Errant cape is 1 million gil on my server and is not worth it compared to the altruistic if i can actually land a lot on it.

The only reason i put AF hands over Devot+1 is that i'm not huge on MND+ for curing, i have some from that set which i feel is decent (not counting for stoneskin) and i am more into MP+ and emnity-

I figured i would need an alternative to AF hands. The Relic hands look like the answer i was wanting, same MP with MND and Emnity- so that's right up the alley i just mentioned thanks.

Also in concerns to the sublimination gear (I didn't mention it but i should have) I had already planned to macro in those pieces during that time it's charging.

so....

now concerning the Dark Arts (Nuking) comments this far, That was my plan to gear as a BLM and then just add in a high resist set where i need more Elemental Magic Skill+.

Keep the conversation going i'm more than open to suggestions or more alternatives. I am on a huge budget at this moment in time as you could tell with what i do have.

Well hey you didnt say budget you said you loved the job :P!
Okamiwolf said:
You might also want to look into a 50% casting speed build for SCH. For SCH it is a very easy thing to do.

-15% /rdm
-10% Light/Dark Arts
-10% Scholar's Loafers
-10% Argute Mortarboard
-5% Royal Redingote
-2% Rostrum Pumps
-2% Loquacious Earring

Those are the sources of fast cast that I can pull off the top of my head, but as you can see getting to the -50% casting speed is very easy, and eliminates the need for Celerity and Alacrity unless you're doing it for the recast timers or if you have the Argute Loafers (casting time and recast to 40% of original timer with corresponding weather)

you cant wear Rostrum pumps and scholars loafers at the same time :<
Honestly I would rather use AF1 over af2 because its a mix of -ENM and -10% spellcast. 7 Healing skill wouldn't really do much, would you wear healing torque? Plus they are free!

Points well taken and LOL @ rostrums and AF feet both listed and i didn't catch that, i'm going to call it a night but check back when i wake up tomorrow and start on more research while seeking.

Thanks for everything this far guys, i'm not ignoring or looking past anything at this point.
 Carbuncle.Okamiwolf
By Carbuncle.Okamiwolf 2009-10-14 23:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Aaroca, I was just naming gear items that have Fast Cast on them.

Ninja Edit: well gear that SCH can wear that has Fast Cast or some related to it on it.

Super Ninja Edited to fix name
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-14 23:25:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Worst butchering of my name EVER!
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-10-14 23:26:51
Link | Quote | Reply

If i spell it right, will you come live a week with me? ;)
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-10-14 23:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Thats an oddly specific amount of time
[+]
 Remora.Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2009-10-14 23:31:13
Link | Quote | Reply

lol >.> i have my reasons
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-14 23:31:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
If i spell it right, will you come live a week with me? ;)

wat
[+]