You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 ... 97 98 99
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: gymj1m
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-08-28 23:51:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone notice hovershot stack doesn't disappear doing UMNs? Did a few to help my brother tonight and every respawn was still fully charged..
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-08-29 00:31:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hahaha interesting. I bet it's because it's the same target ID every time you pop it and since you don't zone or do anything else to break the stack count, it stays.
[+]
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-08-31 15:24:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So I tried playing around with the DPS spreadsheet for RNG, but my inferior human brain couldn't figure it out..

With r20 Nyame and the abundance in WSDMG+ gear, does anyone have any thoughts on swapping low tier WSDMG+ like Ishvara earring, for say, a Sherida in Savage Blade sets?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-08-31 18:30:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Lobivopsis said: »
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
There wasn't much talk about this like ever. So for new rangers who need a hold over/good weapon until your Aeonic is done: There is the O-bow on Steroids.

I've been messing around with this thing. Honestly Imati+1 deserves an honorable mention. The thing is a beast of a weapon that is often overshadowed due to RMEA.

On my server it costs 7m to augment that and I can think of a lot of better uses for 7m gil than a stopgap weapon

TBH, the augments (DMG+17, Racc+40, Snapshot+10 at R15), while nice to have, aren't that vital if you're considering it as a stopgap weapon before RMEA. Imati +1 still has strong enough unaugmented base stats to make it a pretty great "free" option if you need a non-RMEA ranged marksmanship weapon to hold you over. Good dmg/delay, a little bit of AGI Racc Atk.

A couple caveats:
1) You also miss out on RMEA ammo, so you'd prob want to invest in a few quivers of Voluspa Bolts (80 Domain Invasion points per quiver) for more "serious" fights, and maybe go with something like Eminent Bolts (or just meleeing for TP/WS if you don't really need to be at range) for lower stakes stuff.

2) You might lean more toward getting some good MAB/WSD Doomsday augments if you want to make something that pulls double duty on COR and RNG, as opposed to a RNG only crossbow.

Edit: and honestly, though I kinda agree that Imati +1 is a solid pre-RMEA choice, part of the reason we don't see a lot of discussion is that for people who want to start getting serious about RNG, even on a budget you can get a 119 Annihilator (R0 augs) fairly painlessly these days thanks to dirt cheap relic currency. Then you have a good starting point with a weapon that retains endgame utility (even if relic has more of a niche of being the enmity control option, it puts out solid enough DPS too). Or just go straight into Mythic/Empy/Aeonic.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-08-31 19:09:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Gotta admit, first thing I think of when someone suggests a crossbow is varying your ammo to help the situation. Abrasion Bolts are always a lovely TP'ing option, and the status bolts, while not amazing, can at least help a little if lacking magical enfeebles. No matter the crossbow or ammo, the white damage (non-WS dmg) just isn't that appealing, so the enfeebles do give a little more value to it.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-09-01 03:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I used R0 Annihilator during my last Arebati, because with Armageddon white damage setup I pulled hate 3 times around 30% mark. With Annihilator I used normal mid shot set. Holy ***I was really surprised how much white damage I was actually doing with Annihilator >.> Think I even did 47k with triple shot once. That's still significantly lower on avg than Armageddon setup, but Coronach was doing really good damage too, especially for R0. It was more balanced between white damage and WS damage and Coronach being fixed low enmity prevented from ever grabbing hate. Overall we finished with like 5-6min remaining, so I see no reason to ever use any other gun for that fight tbh.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-01 03:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
I used R0 Annihilator during my last Arebati, because with Armageddon white damage setup I pulled hate 3 times around 30% mark. With Annihilator I used normal mid shot set. Holy ***I was really surprised how much white damage I was actually doing with Annihilator >.> Think I even did 47k with triple shot once. Coronach was doing really good damage too, especially for R0. Overall we finished with like 5-6min remaining, so I see no reason to ever use any other gun for that fight tbh.

I freakin LOVE Anni post-Ikenga. That "Ranged Attack +10%" aftermath finally gets to matter with extra +PDL we didn't have access to prior to the gear, and really shows with that gun more than others. Not often to the point of exceeding the damage of Arma, but enough to be able to never worry about pulling hate and putting up really great numbers. Glad you had the same experience on that particular mob I had with the old standby.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-09-01 03:13:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I used R0 Annihilator during my last Arebati, because with Armageddon white damage setup I pulled hate 3 times around 30% mark. With Annihilator I used normal mid shot set. Holy ***I was really surprised how much white damage I was actually doing with Annihilator >.> Think I even did 47k with triple shot once. Coronach was doing really good damage too, especially for R0. Overall we finished with like 5-6min remaining, so I see no reason to ever use any other gun for that fight tbh.

I freakin LOVE Anni post-Ikenga. That "Ranged Attack +10%" aftermath finally gets to matter with extra +PDL we didn't have access to prior to the gear, and really shows with that gun more than others. Not often to the point of exceeding the damage of Arma, but enough to be able to never worry about pulling hate and putting up really great numbers. Glad you had the same experience on that particular mob I had with the old standby.

It was all before Ikenga too (We started Xevioso, but I'm doing katana first :P). I use mix of Malignance and Oshosi with relic body for double shot and Malignance with relic head for double shot down.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
Server: Asura
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2021-09-02 11:22:17
Link | Quote | Reply

For Last Stand/Coronach do you all use Nyame body when not Atk Capped and Ikenga when atk capped? Or would ikenga be better all the way?
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-09-02 11:37:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »
For Last Stand/Coronach do you all use Nyame body when not Atk Capped and Ikenga when atk capped? Or would ikenga be better all the way?

I believe it is Ikenga when capped, nyame when not (assuming r0 Ikenga).

Not sure how augmented Ikenga's tp bonus compares to Nyame, but pretty sure LS would use Ikenga's augmented, while Coro would use Nyame.

I could be wrong though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-02 14:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »

Last Stand: Definitely that configuration. Ikenga body is damn near perfect for that WS. Depending on your other gear, you may find yourself in a situation where Ikenga Body wins more often than you'd expect.

Coronach: I personally find that a lot harder to nail down, as Coronach doesn't benefit from TP scaling. It may depend greatly on your other Nyame options for WSD, because the +PDL still does wonders for Coronach (esp with Annihilator's aftermath of +ratk 10%). But here's where I find it can get difficult-

Coronach is the only Marksmanship WS that isn't a 100% AGI modifier, its split AGI/DEX.

Nyame Body: DEX+24, AGI+33 (total WSC stats of +57)
Ikenga Body: DEX+43, AGI+39 (total WSC stats of +82)

That's a hefty difference in my book, and while not equal to 10% WSD on Nyame, it does make up for a lot of it.
[+]
 Asura.Aburaage
By Asura.Aburaage 2021-09-02 15:02:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone tried using Detonator on non atk cap situation? I find it doing more damage than last stand on arebati while using annihilator on TP overflow situation.
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-09-02 18:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Aburaage said: »
Anyone tried using Detonator on non atk cap situation? I find it doing more damage than last stand on arebati while using annihilator on TP overflow situation.

I do. It's pretty nifty at 3k TP
[+]
By Vaerix 2021-09-07 22:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all, looking at building/busting out ye old KC and was wondering if reiki yotai/eabani with STP cape would be better or worse than Olseni/odr/DW cape?

Caps DW completely rather than -1, but -10dex, -20acc, and +11 STP.

Mostly looking at using this for Wave3 Dyna and idk how the acc/dex loss would stand up against it.
 Bahamut.Greyfawkz
By Bahamut.Greyfawkz 2021-09-07 22:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Vaerix said: »
Hey all, looking at building/busting out ye old KC and was wondering if reiki yotai/eabani with STP cape would be better or worse than Olseni/odr/DW cape?

Mostly looking at using this for Wave3 Dyna and idk how the acc/dex loss would stand up against it.

Rng can't use yotai, unfortunately
By Vaerix 2021-09-07 23:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Greyfawkz said: »
Vaerix said: »

Rng can't use yotai, unfortunately

Complete oversight thanks a bunch :-D
 Asura.Essylt
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-09-20 07:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming I have 5/5 R20 Path B Nyame, what I should be replacing in my weaponskill sets? I get that hands replace Meghanada Gloves +2 across the board, but it seems less straightforward for other slots.

Does Nyame helm+body, for example, beat cohort cloak +1?

Also, am I correct in assuming that Nyame does not replace our existing JSE WSD gear?
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-09-20 09:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

TF/Wildfire:
5/5 Nyame or 3/5 Nyame (not sure about cohort cloak)

Last Stand:
Hands (maybe, meg has better AGI, might be important, might not), feet (for sure), body (if no Ikenga)

Hot Shot:
5/5 Nyame for sure

Coronach:
Body/Hands/Feet

Savage:
5/5 Nyame imo (technically, AF head/Relic legs have more WSD), but no other melee focused stats.

Jishnu/Decimation:
None?

Lol Apex Arrow:
Mix of Ikenga/Nyame for body/hands/feet (PDL probably shines here)

Edit: these are opinions, based on no actual math.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-09-20 09:27:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
Savage:
5/5 Nyame imo (technically, AF head/Relic legs have more WSD), but no other melee focused stats.

Nah, Orion Beret is imo still better. 2%WSD, but also +7STR and +3MND. RNG has massive accuracy and Savage has 95% damage on first hit and first hit has +100 accuracy anyway. So its basically 2%WSD 7STR and 3MND vs 48att/acc. Obvious win for capped attack and maybe even for uncapped too (no time to calculate this now, just eyeballing).
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-09-20 09:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

That's why I said imo on those two. I generally assume on anything that matters that I don't have capped attack. It's not as ubiquitous anymore due to geo debuffs getting nerfed on all new content. 130 (+65 on each piece) extra melee attack is significant. It could very well go either way though.
By SimonSes 2021-09-20 12:10:07
Link | Quote | Reply

130 (+65 on each piece) extra melee attack is significant.

Its not +65, but +55 on Nyame and also because of 7 less STR on head its +48 attack more on Nyame head like I wrote. I wasnt talking about Nyame legs at all, because thats whole different story. Nyame legs has 4 more STR and 5 more MND and only 1% less WSD than Relic, which makes Nyame better always. I was only talking about head slot.

Also

Coronach:
Body/Hands/Feet

Coronach is 40%DEX/40%AGI
Meg gloves has 1% less WSD but +6STR, +8DEX and +7AGI. Meg gloves should easily win here.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-09-20 12:43:15
Link | Quote | Reply

130 (+65 on each piece) extra melee attack is significant.

Its not +65, but +55 on Nyame and also because of 7 less STR on head its +48 attack more on Nyame head like I wrote. I wasnt talking about Nyame legs at all, because thats whole different story. Nyame legs has 4 more STR and 5 more MND and only 1% less WSD than Relic, which makes Nyame better always. I was only talking about head slot.

Also

Coronach:
Body/Hands/Feet

Coronach is 40%DEX/40%AGI
Meg gloves has 1% less WSD but +6STR, +8DEX and +7AGI. Meg gloves should easily win here.

My bad on the math, apparently I can't add 30 + 25 today.

With regard to meg. gloves, you're right, but if you're pulling it from other sets, and you have an interest in inventory management (like trying to gear 3 jobs simultaneously for a run). The difference should be pretty negligible. I only say that because the Meg. Gloves probably only stay in for this one set, if you don't keep them in, you can store them.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-20 18:00:05
Link | Quote | Reply

it doesn't take much these days in terms of "typical" buffs for RNG to be able to make use of a piece or two of Ikenga over even R20 Nyame. Not saying dump all +WSD gear in lieu of +PDL, but there are moments where you want a little more +PDL than just the JSE neck.

I'm using the Ikenga Body pretty much 100% of the time for Last Stand, and even was using an R18 Ikenga Jerkin over a Nyame R20 (wsd path) on Coronach on Schah (not talking the adds- Schah himself) under 2hr'ed buffs with about an 9% increase in damage with the loss of 10% WSD from the Nyame body. Both attempted under same buffs and same buff quality, with zero stacks of Hover Shot to see how it fared. And with Coro not scaling with TP, I'm confident in saying that it is very worth checking situations where maybe a lil' +PDL ends up in better results than all +WSD.

I'll also mention I do believe Coronach can benefit from this earlier than other WS's due to Annihilator's aftermath- it makes the +ratk needed from buffs for us to benefit from +PDL even smaller, not to mention Ikenga Jerkin's DEX+AGI=81, and Nyame Mail's is only =57.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-20 18:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

kusaregedo77 said: »
how often do you get interrupted when doing the hover shot dance? is that even a thing? the bonus is amazing but moving is a real turnoff, seems so easy to add unneeded delay to shooting.

There's a rhythm to it, no doubt, but on any target where you can really lock in and build stacks, the benefits far outweigh the annoyances. Sure- many of those battles you're only building stacks on WS's (say a wave 3 dyna-D boss, meleeing for TP and using Trueflight), but the way our group does Schah is a perfect time to really build crazy stacks, and then keep your damage up by maintaining them. It also works great if you do a RNG+SCH Kei Strat, or Arebati V15 in Gaol.
By Spookyfish89 2021-09-21 08:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

but the way our group does Schah is a perfect time to really build crazy stacks

I'm always looking for a reason to throw my RNG at HELMs, how do you guys do Schah?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-21 10:31:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Spookyfish89 said: »
but the way our group does Schah is a perfect time to really build crazy stacks

I'm always looking for a reason to throw my RNG at HELMs, how do you guys do Schah?

Our LS typically brings 12-18 for Aeonic runs (in house, so sometimes there's a party of mules just sitting there, sometimes the 3rd party is LS members' main chars and contribute), as with many strats a ranged Schah is scalable.

Standard Schah Tank pt for us is: PLD RUN BRD RDM WHM, GEO if a larger group. PLD pops, holds Schah proper and the popping adds, while RUN tags adds in the killing order (see BG-wiki and other sources for different concepts, not gonna review that aspect). WHM is only there in phase one to babysit the PLD, and RDM is doing basic enfeebles on the adds (Dia3, Distract3, others on the beefier ones), token cures on RUN as needed, and cross-party Flurry2 on all shooters.

Shooting parties are this: Healer, GEO, BRD, COR, COR, RNG. Can also drop the healer and add 2nd RNG to that party if desired and your tank pt RDM+WHM combo is really on their game with cross-party duties. This is a physical damage fight- Leaden and Trueflight aren't gonna bring home the bacon here.

Buff array for the Adds phase:

RDM- Flurry2
shooting party GEO- Fury/Frailty/entrust AGI
BRD- Honor March, Minuet5, Archer's Prelude(mostly for the CORs), Adventurer's Dirge, AGI etude as 5th if using Clarion Call.
COR#1: Crooked Chaos, Miser's
COR#2: Crooked Samurai, Tactician's
tank-party GEO(mostly during Schah itself after adds)- Attunement, Wilt or Vex

CORs ride with Fomalhaut is the natural choice, though Armageddon is massively effective if they're geared for its proper use. On RNG I've tried all 4 (Arma, Foma, Gandiva, Anni) and seriously prefer the Annihilator. Always chains with any Last Stand, not just ones with Foma AM on it, can go full bear right from the start due to its hate nature, and the white damage ain't too shabby :)

The secondary rolls (non-crooked ones) definitely show their strengths in the first half of the fight (pre-Schah, the adds) during all the dead time between kills.

Buff array for Schah Proper:

RDM-Flurry2
shooting party GEO-no change from above
BRD- no change from above
COR#1- Crooked Chaos, Miser's
COR#2- Crooked Samurai, Allies (2nd roll can be hunters if needed)
tank party GEO- Vex, Torpor, entrust Attunement

If bringing a 3rd party, attempt to match the shooter party setup as best as possible. If a 3rd geo present due to that size setup, the shooter party GEOs will do Fury/Frailty and Fury/Torpor, and then the tank pt GEO would do Vex/Attunement with a free choice based on tank(s) needs for the Entrust. If only 1 COR and 2 RNGs in a party (very workable), use Crooked Chaos, Samurai as the rolls, dropping the others. We have done an 18 man setup with as few as 3 shooters, but prefer 4 in that size.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-09-21 10:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG is the only strategy I have ever done on Schah I think, unless I forget some melee zerg once. You basically have 2 tanks, one holding Schah, one pulling adds for RNGs and CORs to kill them. When all adds are dead (still can't remember the exact mechanic with adds until now lol) RNGs and CORs kill Schah.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-09-21 10:40:45
Link | Quote | Reply

RNG is the only strategy I have ever done on Schah I think, unless I forget some melee zerg once. You basically have 2 tanks, one holding Schah, one pulling adds for RNGs and CORs to kill them. When all adds are dead (still can't remember the exact mechanic with adds until now lol) RNGs and CORs kill Schah.

Yuppers. We use pop #2, though others work as well, and create a Triangle where one corner is the pop ??? where the PLD will hold Schah and adds pop, another is the RUN and where he pulls the adds to (also where you deploy the bubbles), and the 3rd corner is down the hill where shooters and support hang out. WHM typically stays within range for the PLD, RDM in range of the RUN+backline.

I doubt this needs said, but for posterity if anyone ever searches for this- no one touches Schah until the adds are dead, the PLD is supertanking it, allowing the PLD to just survive not engaging and the WHM is then free to curebomb without pulling hate. If any action is performed on Schah early, then the PLD will have to "fight" for hate vs just sitting there. A big difference.
 Ragnarok.Ragingmonkey
Server: Ragnarok
user: Merritt95
By Ragnarok.Ragingmonkey 2021-09-21 11:48:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll have to give this a go next time. I've always used 2 heavy melee dps, cor, brd, geo, whm then in a 2nd party tank and whm.
Can expand this to another party mirroring the first, add things like rdms, geos, or leechers in the tank party.

Same deal except DDs typically pull the adds off with either voke or stun and kill them.

I can definitely see the usefulness in a ranged method as all that dispel and amnesia sucks.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 73 74 75 ... 97 98 99