New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 64 65 66 ... 97 98 99
By Rubenator 2021-05-12 17:21:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks, I'll have a look to see if I can find the bug.
[+]
By Rubenator 2021-05-13 10:22:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Just updated hovershot to detect when a monster dies and hides the interface (since your stacks will reset anyway)
(same link) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CFdYz9ibP3K9XMzK-dKOoLqTsfxwvbkq/view?usp=sharing

Asura.Icilies said: »
Rubenator said: »
Plenty of improvements to be made but, here's the first iteration of the hovershot addon.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CFdYz9ibP3K9XMzK-dKOoLqTsfxwvbkq/view?usp=sharing

Shows current stacks, and distance from last location shot, and if that location is far enough away.

I'm not the best at figuring out why but right now this addon UI just goes away and stop working after a while.

Unloading and reloading does not resolve the issue.

Actually I did fix it.

Clearing Hover Shot and re-applying resolved my issue
I'm really not sure how to reproduce this as, as long as the addon detects when the buff is up and/or gets applied it should show up after your first shot while hover shot is active.
Afaict even in the worst of circumstances, reloading and shooting should have made it show up again, or re-using hover shot and shooting also should have made it show up again.
If you find a way to reliably reproduce the problem with the new version, let me know.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2021-05-13 12:17:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
So Gandiva is going to get my killed and laughed at twice as fast now huh
So I know I seen your post but have you tested out Gandiva yet? Legit feel like its gonna be super strong now would love to see what you find out.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
Server: Asura
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2021-05-13 13:05:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I wonder if capped hover shot makes fail not have some use. Wonder how apex arrow fairs now.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 13:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

What's to wonder? How much did it do before? Double it. That's how it fairs now.

Am actually curious about how it applies, exactly. Does Last stand get a double boost? JR a triple boost?

aka; is it applying to all hits of a multishot ws (especially flaming and hotshot)
By SimonSes 2021-05-13 13:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
aka; is it applying to all hits of a multishot ws (especially flaming and hotshot)

Early test shows its something similar like damage bonus on goblins in Dynamis Jeuno. So it doubles everything, but it doubles hybrid WSs twice it seems.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 13:18:29
Link | Quote | Reply

The new meta is gonna revert to hotshot. you only need to do 25k to hit 99k then... and you can probably hit that with ease.

With the weird enmity reduction on hotshot it'll be better than TF/LS (that's not exactly worded correctly, but you know what I mean)
By SimonSes 2021-05-13 13:20:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
So I know I seen your post but have you tested out Gandiva yet? Legit feel like its gonna be super strong now would love to see what you find out.

Gandiva is the same as Arma really, but weaker if you have exactly same buffs. Gandiva advantage is that you are safer at it's Ture Shot range. That being said, afaik (correct me if Im wrong), you can be at Guns True Shot range on medium/bigger mobs while having hate on you (so shot from true range while tanking).
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-05-13 13:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

The new meta is gonna revert to hotshot. you only need to do 25k to hit 99k then... and you can probably hit that with ease.

With the weird enmity reduction on hotshot it'll be better than TF (that's not exactly worded correctly, but you know what I mean)

Hybrid WSs are hybrid WSs. They very often wont work in endgame. You need mob that is weak/neutral to both physical damage and fire and thats often not the case. Look at NIN. It has 3 elements on its hybrid WSs and when they work you can also hit 50-99k depends on buffs and without any stacking or limitation to one target, not to mention other benefits of NIN. Do you see NIN being DD gods because of that? Not really, because Hybrids often dont work.

EDIT: Not to mention you have Wildfire, which is also fire element and it was already possible to cap damage with it using Bolster Malaise and magic buffs on something like Zerde. It's easier to apply just magic debuffs/buffs (For Hotshot you will also need capped or at least good ratt and racc) if fire works and Wildfire will easily do 99k then too with Hover and will also chain with itself.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 13:31:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If they had a 4x modifier.... that'd be different.

And now they do. So........ yeah.
By SimonSes 2021-05-13 13:37:33
Link | Quote | Reply

If they had a 4x modifier.... that'd be different.

And now they do. So........ yeah.

No it wouldnt. You still are limited by the fact that you need capped ratt and mob that doesnt resist fire or have massive MDB like 90% of Ambuscade or HTMB. Not to mention you are limited by Hover shot alone (single enemy and needs stacking) which takes out lots of fodders that could be good target for hybrid WSs otherwise.
 Fenrir.Melphina
Server: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-05-13 13:47:56
Link | Quote | Reply

So I have a question unrelated to the current discussion. I'm gearing up my ranger and I'd like to know what the proper way to set up a ranged attack macro using console commands is. My intuition tells me that the syntax should be this

/console exec "Preshot set"
/ra <t>
/wait 1
/console exec "Midshot set"

However, that raises the question as to whether or not the 1 second delay is too long. If I complete the builds outlined in the sticky, then by the time I'm using the optimal Flurry 1 and 2 sets will the extra rapid shot push the delay below 1 second to the point I'd end up shooting in my preshot set? And if so, is there a more efficient way to go about macroing for this? I don't use gearswap, just straight console commands and equipment macroes here. Thanks for the help.
By SimonSes 2021-05-13 13:52:54
Link | Quote | Reply

You pretty much cant do it in Vanilla afaik. Thats why Vanilla people were so happy about Ikenga set, because its great pre and midshot set.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-13 13:57:12
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using windower macros, and order of execution is guaranteed, you can do it by using /equip prior to /ra and /equipset after /ra, with no wait. The client will not send 2 equip packets for the same slot in the same outgoing packet interval, but it will gladly send an equip for every slot and an equipset afterwards. So, make an ingame equipset for midshot, and set up the macro by doing /equip for preshot, then /ra, then /equipset with no waits. I think you'd want it all in the same script to ensure windower doesn't mix up order of scripts.

I wouldn't call windower macros vanilla, but that's just a nitpick.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-05-13 14:45:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Melphina you would swap the /ra <t> and the /wait 1 honestly. So

1. /console exec "Preshot set"

2. /wait 1

3. /ra <t>

4. /console exec "Midshot set"

This way, similar to blm, you can deal with short delays because your midshot gear equips right as you start aiming.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-13 15:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
You need mob that is weak/neutral to both physical damage and fire and thats often not the case.

Is Arebati actually weak to fire (dmg)? We know piercing, but I have never seen fire nukes on him so i am not sure. Flaming Arrow with Gandiva could be a fun, if so.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-13 15:21:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You pretty much cant do it in Vanilla afaik. Thats why Vanilla people were so happy about Ikenga set, because its great pre and midshot set.

I use it in vanilla without any scripts. Might seem clunky, but it works just fine.

41 is preshot, 12 is midshot

/equipset 41 <wait 1>
/ra
/equipset 12

As long as you account for the wait in your timing of your shooting animation, you don't even notice it. I hit the macro a split second before it actually fires. The animation shows me putting my weapon away and then immediately pulling it back out for the next shot. The /ra and the /equipset 12 happen simultaneously, but due to order of operations you will aim in your preshot and shoot in midshot.

You can also use this same macro, but by adding a swap to your preshot AFTER your /ra. Something like

/ra
/equipset 12 <wait 1>
/equipset 41

That way your wait is after you shoot but you will always be in your preshot set after every shot.
By SimonSes 2021-05-13 15:35:52
Link | Quote | Reply

In first macro Hover shot will be even more clunky, because if you hit it too early you might shot too fast and get interrupted and if you click it too late, you lose on dps. In 2nd macro you have terrible survivability while standing idle in your preshot set.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-13 15:42:34
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't need the wait if preshot is /equip and midshot is /equipset, or vice versa.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-13 15:45:32
Link | Quote | Reply

if you hit it too early you might shot too fast and get interrupted and if you click it too late, you lose on dps

It's all about timing and getting a rhythm down. The DPS loss is very minimal if even any at all, given that the vanilla way of doing it is so antiquated. I have parsed on par with other RNG who use automation just fine, so that doesn't seem to be much of an issue in my case.

In 2nd macro you have terrible survivability while standing idle in your preshot set.

Survivability is only relevant when you need it, and is kind of moot since you will be shooting from range anyways. I have never been in a situation where I needed survivability while shooting, because I'm out of range of anything harmful. If it happens where the monster turns his attention my direction, it's a simple macro click to DT/Idle set. If that weren't enough, there's already plenty of items that cover survivability and snapshot all in one, so if it was truly a problem, I could make a set that covers both just as easily. I have never needed to play RNG with that kind of set, so I don't foresee it becoming an issue.

Just saying, it is very possible to create a vanilla macro entirely with equip and equipsets. Whether you think its clunky or outdated or dangerous is another story.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-13 15:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
You don't need the wait if preshot is /equip and midshot is /equipset, or vice versa.

I am aware of this. The thing about this is that vanilla macros only have 6 lines, so you use at least 3 just prepping with preshot/ra/midshot. That only leaves 3 slots for gear swaps using /equip, which is not enough SS swaps. Scripts is another story because you're unlimited, but I was responding to Simon's comment where he said it wasn't possible with Vanilla (which would be 6 lines in a macro).
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2021-05-13 16:19:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're using windower macros, and order of execution is guaranteed, you can do it by using /equip prior to /ra and /equipset after /ra, with no wait. The client will not send 2 equip packets for the same slot in the same outgoing packet interval, but it will gladly send an equip for every slot and an equipset afterwards. So, make an ingame equipset for midshot, and set up the macro by doing /equip for preshot, then /ra, then /equipset with no waits. I think you'd want it all in the same script to ensure windower doesn't mix up order of scripts.

I wouldn't call windower macros vanilla, but that's just a nitpick.

^^ This is right on. Mix one windower macro and one equipset and it works without a delay/wait.

As Melphina suggested, a 1 second wait between /ra and equipping midshot set will very often fail and you'll end up shooting in preshot gear (due to rapid shot procs, and RNG's low delay from Velocity Shot + snapshot + Empy body). Additionally, you'll get in a vicious loop of the wrong gear equipping if you mash a macro too early if you have a /wait.

If you're using Windower and no GS, just choose /equipsets for preshot and Windower macro for midshots. Or vice versa, either way works - but I prefer /equipsets for preshot sets because I have less of those than I do midshot sets.

Personally, my setup for RNG is:
(1) Three different preshot /equipsets (in-game /equipset): one for Flurry 2, one for Flurry 1, one for no Flurry.
(2) Windower macros with full swaps for several different midshot sets: STP, Double Shot, Empy AM3 up (crit focused), max Racc.
(3) I do all my shooting from the Macro bar and I simply do three "pages" of macros that are identical except for different preshot set, and a macro for each midshot option.

So, my Macro page 1 Ctrl# row (or Alt#, whatever works for you) is for when I have Flurry 2, and has macros set up like this:
[STP] [Double] [Crit] [Racc] [macro5] [macro6]...

The STP macro looks like this:
/equipset 40 (where 40 is my "Flurry 2" preshot set)
/ra <t>
/console exec rng/stp.txt (full Windower macro for my midshot STP set)

My Macro page 2 Ctrl# row has the exact same structure and syntax, except changing the macros to use my Flurry 1 preshot set (/equipset 41) . And Macro page 3 is again the same thing except using 'no Flurry' preshot sets (/equipset 42).

This setup is reliable even in laggy zones. Easier to see on other jobs, but for instance I do the same thing on BRD for precast/midcast sets. And that's a job where it is very easy to tell by sight whether your precast set was on for a song, and you could instantly tell if midcast set wasn't on due to big difference in song duration. It just works - even when you get casting time reduction from like Nightingale insta-cast proc.

Moving up/down between the three pages for Flurry level is essentially the same thing as using a toggle in a LUA. It just doesn't auto-detect Flurry level like some LUAs, but like.. big deal? It's not hard to just look to see that you have Flurry, and simply manually adjust if, say, Flurry drops for a few and you need to pop over to the Flurry 0 macro page to fire off some shots before it's re-applied. I don't mind actually playing the game instead of automating everything.

As you may be able to guess, I'm also not into auto-RA addons, react, or similar. Yeah, Windower is still third party tools so we're all "cheaters" here to some level unless playing 100% vanilla FFXI blah blah blah. That's just my personal take on what I feel is "too far".

I am aware of this. The thing about this is that vanilla macros only have 6 lines, so you use at least 3 just prepping with preshot/ra/midshot. That only leaves 3 slots for gear swaps using /equip, which is not enough SS swaps. Scripts is another story because you're unlimited, but I was responding to Simon's comment where he said it wasn't possible with Vanilla (which would be 6 lines in a macro).

And yes, this is obviously correct too. So for 100% vanilla, my approach doesn't work. I rely on Windower for that QOL ability to put gear for every slot in one single line in an in-game macro, paired with the vanilla FFXI functionality to put a separate /equipset set in another single macro line.

My response was more to Melphina - who never asked for "Vanilla" and gave examples showing Windower macros - asking how to set it up without GS (but with the ability to use a Windower gear set in a macro).
[+]
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-13 16:21:12
Link | Quote | Reply

You actually get 4, and you can keep shared slots if you flip it. Equipset your midshot set, with 4 snapshot swaps, then /ra, then 4 /equips to move them back. 4 may still not be enough for perfect results, but I think it is better to sacrifice an additional midshot piece than use waits in a macro you're likely to be hammering.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-13 16:48:44
Link | Quote | Reply

You actually get 4

You mean like this?

/equipset "Midshot" (includes 4 snapshot items)
/ra
/equip 1 (midshot piece)
/equip 2 (midshot piece)
/equip 3 (midshot piece)
/equip 4 (midshot piece)

So this can work, like you said, you limit yourself on preshot speed. Multiple ways to do it with vanilla, but all of them have issues. You either build the waits into your rhythm of firing, or you deal with suboptimal swaps, which may not necessarily cap you out in non-flurry situations. What it comes down to is if that 1s wait is more inhibiting than slightly slower shots ever /ra. They both hold you back.

You have to move for Hover Shot, and stop briefly after getting to the right spot before you can ra. I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if I could time my shot so that the wait in my macro occurs during the same time I would normally delay for server latency. That would minimize how impactful the wait between macro lines could be to overall DPS.
 Odin.Demhar
Server: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-13 18:39:08
Link | Quote | Reply

You need mob that is weak/neutral to both physical damage and fire and thats often not the case.

Is Arebati actually weak to fire (dmg)? We know piercing, but I have never seen fire nukes on him so i am not sure. Flaming Arrow with Gandiva could be a fun, if so.

I used Wildfire on it in numerous set ups with Armageddon R15 it doesn't do much.
 Odin.Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-13 18:55:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »

We tested here on Apex Toad (lvl 131-133) The boost is very significant on Jishnu's Radiance and overall white dmg.
https://youtu.be/IIEqaSYJweA
[7:27] on timestamp
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-13 19:03:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Topace said: »
I wonder if capped hover shot makes fail not have some use. Wonder how apex arrow fairs now.
Apex Arrow Not. But Fail-Not will definitely not fail on Flaming Arrow!
Tested here:
[5:08] on timestamp
 Odin.Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-05-13 19:32:41
Link | Quote | Reply

What's to wonder? How much did it do before? Double it. That's how it fairs now.

Am actually curious about how it applies, exactly. Does Last stand get a double boost? JR a triple boost?

[4:18] and on you will see all the WS's preformed on lvl 131-133 Apex Toad. Apex Arrow got the least boost from this. Hybrid applies on magical and physical side of the WS. JR is crit base and overall crit dmg has been boosted by the hover shot.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2021-05-13 19:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Demhar said: »
Asura.Topace said: »
Apex Arrow Not. But Fail-Not will definitely not fail on Flaming Arrow!
Tested here:
[5:08] on timestamp
Thanks! Time to make Fail-not!
First Page 2 3 ... 64 65 66 ... 97 98 99