Discussion: how to make BLM more relevant
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 20 21 22
 Sylph.Cossack
Server: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: sandman16
By Sylph.Cossack 2021-05-13 06:20:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how everyones idea on how to fix BLM is to turn it into something other than BLM. Blackmages nuke ***. Our most reasonable solutions are to give it roles filled by other jobs instead of giving it its own roll back.

Remove the wall, period.

Undo the aga nerf.

Native Comet would be nice.

A slightly better staff rating and better melee gear would be nice, but also completely unnecessary.

Drainaga, aspiraga, warpaga.

The boon to elemental debuffs was very nice to be honest, but with as obviously broke as BLM is, it was insulting to give us better elemental debuffs and call it a job adjustment. Give us Blackmage back, or just take it the *** out of the game so we can have closure.
 Asura.Bixbite
Server: Asura
By Asura.Bixbite 2021-05-13 06:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

No need for resist wall anymore. Odyssey you cant even stack black mage. Melee groups are ignoring the mechanics with Savage blade zerg.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 06:38:18
Link | Quote | Reply

If they take away the resist wall groups will take 14 blms to dienamis and kill wave 3 bosses with 12 death volleys. And any new content they add after.

Not. Gonna. Happen. Ever.

Why put any effort into anything when you can just stack blms and death everything.
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-13 06:42:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Andret said: »
This is sort of cool but an army of Blms/Rdms with manafont, manawell and convert plus a bunch of Myrkr and Conserve MP equipments could bring back the Blms artillery barrage which I don't think SE wants at the moment.

I don't really see the problem, tbh. Melee are firing off 50k+ WS every 6 seconds as is, with the time making skillchains BLM is only going to be a little ahead of that. Could make it so that manafont and manawell only pay the base spell cost and any penalty MP is still removed.

I don't think straight removing the resist wall is ideal, but without some sort of bypass you can't make BLM viable, and players downright dislike the nerfed damage just for not being first. When RNG and COR can sit at the same distance and do better magic damage, there's an obvious problem in need of addressing. Not saying my solution is the only viable one, but resist wall needs to be changed in some way, rather than just adding new buffs.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
If they take away the resist wall groups will take 14 blms to dienamis and kill wave 3 bosses with 12 death volleys. And any new content they add after.

Not. Gonna. Happen. Ever.
This wouldn't even be overpowered. Death has a best case recast of 18 seconds with alacrity, COR and RNG are already doing more than 100k in 18 seconds with leaden/tf spam. You probably won't even cap m.acc with only 2 buffers(+tank/healer), and that requires all your BLM to have 1200 JP and death sets. Every complaint about BLM being overpowered without resist wall can also be applied to RNG/COR, but we don't see them dominate meta.

At 20,000,000 HP, you're only getting 7% out of a 14x death volley. Without temp items, getting 2000 MP back takes minutes(or everyone has to spam hi-elixirs and hope they don't aspir the mob dry). It'd be so much slower than existing options that nobody would even consider it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 06:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Not about "overpowered" it's about effortless.

While people resort to the zerg because it's faster, they'll default to blm because it's easier. It's just the way they're wired.

Why bother getting tp sets, and ws sets, and dt sets and high acc sets, when you can just get a death set and be done.

And to clarify; It doesn't matter. I couldn't care less if people wanted to do that. They just aren't going to let it happen. Wall is never coming down.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Server: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2021-05-13 07:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Why put any effort into anything when you can just stack blms and death everything.
Can already do what you're fear mongering will happen with stacking death penalties...however it doesnt happen. Hell, doesnt even have to be with death penalty, if you're stacking CORs, you dont need the best guns, just serviceable ones.
 Asura.Bixbite
By Asura.Bixbite 2021-05-13 07:24:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Why bother getting tp sets, and ws sets, and dt sets and high acc sets, when you can just get a death set and be done.

You already need less sets now due to Odyssey equipment having inflated stats and lots of -damage taken.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 07:27:00
Link | Quote | Reply

You've played the same game I have. You know exactly what happens every time.

Every. Single. Time. It never changes. It's the same cycle.
By Onimaru 2021-05-13 07:49:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally wouldn't mind to be able to do the death thing again or have the aoe penalty removed. Used to be what made blm a serious job. As of now it s only used to MB stuff. Most stuff resist magic too, anyways.

Ill take anything at this point.
By Isszo 2021-05-13 08:30:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the idea of taking away the ability of weaponskills to interrupt magic burst windows. When a skillchain of a certain element occurs you should be able to burst for x period of time even if another skillchain occurs within the time limit. Scale down black mage damage output so it does not out damage jobs that take risks like frontline dd. It would be awesome if black mage could be viable in a melee zerg.
[+]
By dennisnedry 2021-05-13 09:30:50
Link | Quote | Reply

You've played the same game I have. You know exactly what happens every time.

Every. Single. Time. It never changes. It's the same cycle.

Can 14 COR's with Leaden Salute currently do what you're proposing will happen if the Nuke Wall is removed? Yes they can.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 09:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

You can argue all day long. Not going to change reality.
By dennisnedry 2021-05-13 09:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

So you admit 14 COR's can do exactly what you're proposing will happen if the nuke wall is removed, you arent denying it, you arent arguing against it. Why isnt it the meta if its so OP and easy?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 09:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Because it's not.

Shooting and magic ws takes double the buffs. (or waiting for tacticians, I suppose) And gives tp

Leaden did 99k just like death did in 2016, yet no one took 14 cors, and everyone took 14 blms.
By dennisnedry 2021-05-13 10:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess that CORx5+GEO party cant put up hunters, chaos, samurai, rogue, wizards, warlock, courser, tact, miser, indi-acumen and geo-malaise/languor, or both if two parties of CORx5+GEO. I dont believe theres a limit on the number of rolls, is there?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 10:19:54
Link | Quote | Reply

10 or 12 I forget, songs and/or rolls
 Shiva.Thorny
Server: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-13 10:35:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Limit is 12 combined songs+rolls, but point remains that 2 parties of GEO+5COR are more than sufficient. One GEO does malaise, one does languor, both do acumen. CORs can cap acc with food, hunters, gear, distract. Don't need ranged attack to build TP.

Fact is, no matter how you split it, you aren't creating a situation where new BLM would be stronger than current COR.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2021-05-13 10:43:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Can have 3rd GEO in tank party for EVA- too if you really need extra acc. Since tank PT is probably RUN RUN WHM RDM and 2 slots for whatever. Heck add in 2 more COR what the hell who cares at this point. Those 2 can do Tact/Sam/Hunter/Gallant or whatever defensive thing runs want. and spam Wildfire to keep leaden damage up.

There we hit 12 cor.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 10:44:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Limit is 12 combined songs+rolls, but point remains that 2 parties of GEO+5COR are more than sufficient. One GEO does malaise, one does languor, both do acumen. CORs can cap acc with food, hunters, gear, distract. Don't need ranged attack to build TP.

Fact is, no matter how you split it, you aren't creating a situation where new BLM would be stronger than current COR.

Which is easier to do. The one they default to. BLMs
 Sylph.Banhammer
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2021-05-13 10:45:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Give it A rank Katana and let it dual wield.
By dennisnedry 2021-05-13 10:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Exactly, what he's worried will happen can already be done, with greater ease since theres no need to time anything with SC/MB, except its not being done.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 10:46:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not worried about it. Square devs are. And they're right.

It matters absolutely zero to me. Just telling you it's wasted effort to examine as an option.
[+]
By dennisnedry 2021-05-13 10:58:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Thorny said: »

Which is easier to do. The one they default to. BLMs

lua l autocor
lua l autows
cor on
aws on

difficulty: 0/10

I'm not even including autora, but as you said:
Shooting and magic ws takes double the buffs. (or waiting for tacticians, I suppose) And gives tp
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2021-05-13 11:04:21
Link | Quote | Reply

God Damn Eiryl, you don't like Blackmage, we get it.
I guess you think taking 14 Summoner's is some how ethically superior, because that's how everyone clears helms, not to mention ambuscade, or taking Xpup's into odin, or lilith htb.
Of all the current exploits in the game, ones that are way more exploity than anything BLM has historically pulled off, you really seem to have a hard on for BLM. Were you touched by a perv in a pointy hat when you were a kid or something? "OMG they're too overpowered, make them cast buffs, or something." Cool story bro.

Sadly you're right. SE isn't going to ever make Blackmage Blackmage again. God listens to pedophiles more intently than SE listens to its paying customer base. No one has played BLM is what 5 years now, I hope you and Tanaka's hateful *** are satisfied.

Gearing up my Blackmage now is like staring at my oldest child, he was once an incredibly gifted, intelligent, alethic, and artistic young man, until he got in a car wreck, now he just stares blankly at the tv while netflixs repeats the same 5 teletubbies episodes over, and over again. Occasionally I go wipe the drool off his face, I have a social worker come over daily and she helps me clean his ***up, and change his diaper.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 11:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell ya what, go here https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/forums/95

Tell them that you special pinky promise that no one will abuse BLM if they take it down.

They will suddenly realize how mistaken they were, and remove it. You'll be the hero and everyone will clap.

It's that easy.

Devs: we had to change the game because you abused it
Players: sowwy, we pwomise not to tho
Devs: oh, ok then
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2021-05-13 11:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Theres only one way to fix Blackmage.
Make it Blackmage again.
Remove the wall, remove the aga nerf.

Its so simple.
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2021-05-13 11:13:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Tell ya what, go here https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/forums/95

Tell them that you special pinky promise that no one will abuse BLM if they take it down.

They will suddenly realize how mistaken they were, and remove it. You'll be the hero and everyone will clap.

It's that easy.

Devs: we had to change the game because you abused it
Players: sowwy, we pwomise not to tho
Devs: oh, ok then

LOL again with how BLMs are so much more abusive then any of the other exploits we currently use. Broken *** record.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-13 11:24:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know where you get that from. Many things are broken.

This one particular thing is fixed. You want them to rebreak it.

"SMN is more broken, so it's only fair you re-break BLM." assbackwards logic. Go forward, not backward.

They don't want you to have the option of taking a blm alliance. They have decided. They aren't smart enough or motivated enough to find any other way. It is set in stone. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp.
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2021-05-13 11:26:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Then just remove the job all together.
[+]
 Sylph.Cossack
By Sylph.Cossack 2021-05-13 11:29:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Blackmage literally does one thing, and only one thing. you're saying what it does is too over powered, yet you seem to take little to no objection to savage blade zergs, astral flow burns, or the exploitive ***show cor and rng have become. God forbid SE lets BLM do BLM ***again. They didn't fix the job, they obsoleted it.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 20 21 22