users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Fudo Masamune? Pros/Cons
Fudo Masamune? Pros/Cons
 Ragnarok.Haxetc
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Haxetc 2019-01-07 18:33:00
Link | Quote | Reply

who needs tp bonus off hand when you're spamming metsu anyways? :^)
[+]
By Taint 2019-01-07 18:34:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Haxetc said: »
who needs tp bonus off hand when you're spamming metsu anyways? :^)

/thread
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-07 19:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Lilmartio said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I don't have any Su5 weapons so asking for someone who knows: can you switch paths on a current weapon to another (i.e. you are Path C tanking but want to go Path B for whatever reason)?
No you can't switch paths.

This is absolutely absurd. REMAs have one but these have 3(1). Would have been more appealing if either: augments could be used in offhand or the paths could be changed at will
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2019-01-07 19:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Cerberus.Shadowmeld said: »
On a straight melee job though, the amount of extra time to get to 1000 TP and use the TP bonus should be more than balanced out by using a weapon that doesn't require you sacrifice atk buffs for acc buffs to make it work and will get TP faster.

At least in the case of blu, this is false. Tp bonus offhand does come out higher in terms of theorical dps and real parses. Several people that I know of have been using them and parsed. It's real strong.

On other job it can be more tricky because of lower acc.

I know some people can't understand the concept of using a lv 99 weapon in ilv 119+++++ era. But that's just how it goes.

Double Madrigal should be the standard buff for any semi high lv pt with Rema brd, imo. Acc songs are far more potent than attack songs. If you can't cap attack, stack attack+ def- from other sources such as debuff ws. There are tons of debuffs gives straight % for def-, by comparsion static attack+ from songs rarely worth the song slot, especially when dd sacrifice 1000 tp bonus or MA/stp(stats that you can't get anywhere else) for it.

So, I have a question then. Do you cap atk with just geo buffs and honor march, because at the same time you're talking about dropping atk brd buffs for madrigals, wars and drks are talking about how with brd buffs and geo you don't need chaos roll.

Obviously, ideally you don't want to mix dd types in a pt, but there are a lot of assumptions and ifs in the argument.

It's basically saying "Yeah, it's great.... as long as these 5-6 things are true."
By Afania 2019-01-07 23:16:49
Link | Quote | Reply

wars and drks are talking about how with brd buffs and geo you don't need chaos roll.

Even if that's the case Id still take 1000 tp bonus using chaos/sam over no tp bonus + sam/da roll all day everyday. 1000 tp bonus is bigger gain than da roll.

Obviously, ideally you don't want to mix dd types in a pt,

The DD type will always be mixed because cor takes permanent spot in high lv pt. So double madrigal will benefit someone regardless.
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-01-08 01:29:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Snapster said: »
For Ambuscade, unless some buffs fall off I have had 0 less than 100k Blade: Shuns on this month using Kanaria.
Not sure january's ambuscade is worth mentioning.
Damage is like, what, multiplied by 10?
I could reach 99k with Exenterator on BRD lol, says a lot xD

Acc songs are far more potent than attack songs.
Not trying to deny what you wrote because it's absolutely true.
The "price" to pay for Madrigals being so potent is that, unlike most other Acc+ buffs, it only affects melee accuracy but not ranged accuracy. This ultimately sorta hurts NIN, moderately, because of Daken.

One thing to point out about Minuets (att songs) is that sure, they are by comparison less powerful than acc songs compared to other jobs.
The good part though is that they are static values, not %.
This means they are calculated BEFORE other att% buffs and as such multiplied by them.
Stuff like Smite, Berserk, Chaos roll, Fury, all indirectly make Minuets stronger and viceversa Minuets make those buffs stronger simply because they affect your base attack before the att% bonus is applied.

Again, not to deny what you said, but it's something to keep into consideration.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2019-01-08 01:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

This is absolutely absurd. REMAs have one but these have 3(1). Would have been more appealing if either: augments could be used in offhand or the paths could be changed at will
I can understand the aug not working offhand.
We're all in pain for that, but at the same time I'm sure we can all understand why augs don't work offhand.

The fact Aug can't be swapped though is absolute ***. I'm confident and positive they're gonna patch at least that in the future.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2019-01-08 08:24:36
Link | Quote | Reply

wars and drks are talking about how with brd buffs and geo you don't need chaos roll.

Even if that's the case Id still take 1000 tp bonus using chaos/sam over no tp bonus + sam/da roll all day everyday. 1000 tp bonus is bigger gain than da roll.

This is my point actually. It's a bigger gain, for you, not for the group as a whole.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2019-01-08 11:06:43
Link | Quote | Reply

So, I have a question then. Do you cap atk with just geo buffs and honor march, because at the same time you're talking about dropping atk brd buffs for madrigals, wars and drks are talking about how with brd buffs and geo you don't need chaos roll.

He's doing low level content, magian off hand is 200~300 loss in accuracy which is crippling on anything worth discussing.

BRD songs are base attack which has an astronomical effect due to attack buffs being percentages of that base.

For a WAR
Smite: 19.9%
Berserk: 35%
Idris Fury: 61.7
Chaos: 53.12

Total: 169.7% increase.

+Attack
Honor March: 232 * 2.697 = +625 Attack
Min V: 233 * 2.697 = +628 Attack

1100~1200 is about what most jobs have for base attack prior to the percentage multipliers so HM and VM basically double your attack value. The attack cap is really high now, especially with PDL.

DRK Previous (just example since theirs is the highest)
Before 3.75 pDiffMax for a 4.125 attack cap.

Now (3.75 + 0.5) * 1.10 = 4.675 + 0.375 = 5.05 attack cap.

That means over 5x the monsters defense is needed to cap attack and anything worth discussing has a few thousand defense, which makes it functionally impossible without lots of defense down. Bolster isn't a 24/7 ability regardless on how some people like to pretend it is and SE's has been creating boss's that are resistant to Geomancy.

So attack buffs are still needed for serious stuff, we don't go all in but we don't ignore them either.
 Ragnarok.Haxetc
By Ragnarok.Haxetc 2019-01-08 11:11:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Just get kikoku and OH fudo. Ez attack
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2019-01-08 11:14:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
base attack prior to the percentage multipliers

Asura.Saevel said: »
so HM and VM basically double your attack value

Uh... no. If you're talking base attack, then HM and Min5 are 465 and add maybe 1/3. You can't take the post-multiplier value of songs and compare it to the pre-multiplier value of everything else, that is silly.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-08 11:45:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Haxetc said: »
Just get kikoku and OH fudo. Ez attack

This appears to be the most sensible Katana combination that covers most of a Ninja's needs when it isn't able to be buffed out the bandwidth (missing a GEO or COR). Attack (loads of it), Accuracy and Ranged Accuracy. In the ideal situation where you're getting full buffs, you'd default to Heishi/Kanaria(Ochu) and spam Ten. More often than not, I've found myself in a less-than-ideal buff scenario on NIN, unless I'm in an event that is low on DD or catered to my NIN specifically (this month's ambuscade).

I don't have the cash right now to delve into Making Kikoku and R15 it, as well as buying a Fudo Masamune, but in the future for me, its a nice goal to have both sets of Katanas ready for whatever buff situation you find yourself in.
 Ragnarok.Haxetc
By Ragnarok.Haxetc 2019-01-08 12:20:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Best part about offhand fudo is you don't even have to augment it. Unless you really want that extra base damage lol
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2019-01-08 12:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

All augments are active only when the weapon is in your Main Hand. This includes the +7 damage.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-01-08 12:35:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually if you don't plan on tanking or using it as a main hand option in place of your REMA, there is no reason to augment it. It becomes the perfect offhand option for most needs.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-01-31 16:06:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually if you don't plan on tanking or using it as a main hand option in place of your REMA, there is no reason to augment it. It becomes the perfect offhand option for most needs.

Way late to this reply, but what the heck...

Why forego the ability to have a top tier tanking mainhand for minimal additional effort? Unless you truly can't ever conceive of a niche for NIN tanking (which seems kinda weird, since it does occasionally have its moments), there's really only one compelling reason to avoid augmenting - and that's to preserve the ability to re-sell the unaugmented weapon.

If you're not planning to sell, might as well open path C to make your situationally excellent DD offhand pull double duty as one of the two most significant mainhand tanking weapons (along with Nagi). It doesn't even take maxing out the augment, once you get to like rank 8~10ish with Fudo the tanking benefits start to become very significant. That's only a couple of good Divergence farming runs, even if you refuse to spend any Heroism items with Oboro.

No, it's probably not going to be your usual mainhand choice. But it sure is nice to have the option when NIN tanking is handy on an NM (various Ambuscade mobs, Halphas, etc.), or when a tank dies and you jump in on the fly on a temporary basis and instantly change to "tanking mode" by popping Yonin and swapping your DD mainhand out.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [362 days between previous and next post]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Server: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2020-01-28 11:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

Why forego the ability to have a top tier tanking mainhand for minimal additional effort? Unless you truly can't ever conceive of a niche for NIN tanking (which seems kinda weird, since it does occasionally have its moments), there's really only one compelling reason to avoid augmenting - and that's to preserve the ability to re-sell the unaugmented weapon.

If you're not planning to sell, might as well open path C to make your situationally excellent DD offhand pull double duty as one of the two most significant mainhand tanking weapons (along with Nagi). It doesn't even take maxing out the augment, once you get to like rank 8~10ish with Fudo the tanking benefits start to become very significant. That's only a couple of good Divergence farming runs, even if you refuse to spend any Heroism items with Oboro.

No, it's probably not going to be your usual mainhand choice. But it sure is nice to have the option when NIN tanking is handy on an NM (various Ambuscade mobs, Halphas, etc.), or when a tank dies and you jump in on the fly on a temporary basis and instantly change to "tanking mode" by popping Yonin and swapping your DD mainhand out.

Fudo Masamune with Nagi offhand is ridic enmity, but is it necessary to hit the +200 enmity gear cap? How much can NIN get a hold of and does enmity+ ninjutsu count towards gear cap? (I think it's 30 enmity)
By fonewear 2020-01-28 11:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Once ninja is great again I'll consider getting this weapon.

Or to win a lockstyle contest which is also important.
[+]
By fonewear 2020-01-28 11:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Also my pros and cons:

Pro it looks cool

Con it is overpriced for an off hand.

There is my expert analysis of this weapon.
[+]
 Bismarck.Lilmartio
Server: Bismarck
user: Lilmartio
By Bismarck.Lilmartio 2020-01-28 12:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

Fudo Masamune with Nagi offhand is ridic enmity, but is it necessary to hit the +200 enmity gear cap? How much can NIN get a hold of and does enmity+ ninjutsu count towards gear cap? (I think it's 30 enmity)
Nagi's enmity only works in the main hand slot.
[+]
 Bismarck.Gippali
user: Gippali
By Bismarck.Gippali 2020-01-28 12:43:09
Link | Quote | Reply

But Nagi style points work in every slot /shrug
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2020-01-28 12:44:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Gippali said: »

True
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-01-28 14:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Too bad we can't dual wield them, like in the official SE pics.

Lakshmi.Avereith
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2020-01-28 14:12:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »

Too bad we can't dual wield them, like in the official SE pics.

Start an equipset for lockstyle, put the weapon on the first slot, switch the inventory location where the weapon is, put the weapon on the second slot, marvel as you can now lockstyle two of the same ra/ex weapon
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2020-01-28 15:16:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerison said: »
Bahamut.Shozokui said: »
This post has nothing to do with Fudo or Masamune. The ***'s up with the title?
I honestly can't tell if troll or dumb.
Lol
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [929 days between previous and next post]
By Hopalong 2022-08-14 19:32:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Was just browsing through Nin weapons since staging to be able to solo some odyssey early levels to pop stuff later.

Looks like Kikoku > Fudo is best for uncapped attack party play?
Is that still true? Or Aeonic I'm sure would be fine but I'm working on flute atm.

In my case, wouldn't path B be best when I solo and just switch it to mainhand? What would be a solid offhand for solo nm hunting?
By mhomho 2022-08-14 20:34:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hopalong said: »
What would be a solid offhand for solo nm hunting?
Do you get to use trusts? Are they going to be in range of the monster you're fighting?
Yagyu Darkblade
 Bahamut.Kacil
Server: Bahamut
user: Kacil
By Bahamut.Kacil 2022-08-14 20:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I went with Heishi when I saw it outperforms the other Katanas in situations where I find myself in. You can do quick solo light SCs and double magic burst as long as your aftermath is up.

For offhand, Gleti's Knife if you're not magic bursting and Kunimitsu when you are magic bursting.

Here is a good video Logical did comparing Katanas

https://youtu.be/Tz3YKEYzdd4
[+]
By Hopalong 2022-08-15 07:43:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Do you get to use trusts? Are they going to be in range of the monster you're fighting?
Yagyu Darkblade

Yeah that answer is like if I asked what's the quickest route to downtown and you said, just warp there...

Quote:
For offhand, Gleti's Knife if you're not magic bursting and Kunimitsu when you are magic bursting.

Awesome, thanks!