First Page 2
 Carbuncle.Zitale
Server: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Zitale
By Carbuncle.Zitale 2009-10-07 09:59:29
Link | Quote | Reply

User submitted image
(In case the picture no show correctly: http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=26722)

This is a key item you receive after completing the Lu Shang fishing rod quest, a quest that takes at least 150h to complete(2.5-3m of fishing 2-3h per day for 2-3 months) ... and a rod you are expected to have to be able to skill-up/perform fishing over level 50-60.

I kind of think someone in SE wanted us to think "hey, the message is in game, so it's about in game society", and "It's what Gallijaux and Joulet think, not us!" ... but I take this as way to laugh in our face.
It's like if someone tell a kid that if he put his hand in the fire, he be given a candy, and then tell him "haha! you see, it burn! don't do this again".
(ok, bad exemple, but you get the idea)

Maybe I'm overreacting over this (and no, I did not finish Lu Shang, I just saw this picture, someone posted it), but it's kind of cruel, to expect us to spend all our time playing, and then tell us to be usefull to the society.

What do you think ppls?
 Leviathan.Leonstrife
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Leonstrife 2009-10-07 10:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I personally think we're treading on very, VERY, thin ice sir.
Course, in retrospect, someone could get a bunch of his friends together, start a ls which sole existance is getting a lu'shangs, and have all those friends dedicate all there fishing time to someones lu'shang. when that friend has a lu shang they work on the next guy and the next guy, so on so forth. that COULD make it attainable in a reasonable time frame as opposed to soloing the hell out of the quest. Then again idk i need some graphs for this ***. Wheres that dude that said TH3 is better then TH4? Now THERE's a dude that has some sick graph skills.

But ya to answer the question total slap in the face. Idk how one would recover from that.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 10:11:48
Link | Quote | Reply

It reminds me of quests in Zelda for some reason. Anyone that needs to be told that FFXI is unproductive probably isn't the brightest person around...

Edit: if you have a group of friends all working together on each others Lu Shang's, the first people to get it will get it much faster, the last person to get it will take the exact amount of time as if he solod it, PROVIDED each person does equal work even after they have their rod.
 Carbuncle.Zitale
Server: Carbuncle
user: Zitale
By Carbuncle.Zitale 2009-10-07 10:12:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Leonstrife said:
I personally think we're treading on very, VERY, thin ice sir.

Ok ... it's not a post about "having no life" or blaming ppls spending too much time playing.
It's more about SE wanting us to play more, and at same time sending us this.
You know what I think about this "Testimonial", I wanna know what you think.
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-10-07 10:18:56
Link | Quote | Reply

See my profile comment for straightforward answer. As well as please note the first screenshot of my page. That is all.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Server: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-10-07 10:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's a funny joke. Someone who takes this too seriously needs to take a break.
[+]
 Fenrir.Shindo
Server: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-10-07 10:42:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You'll probably be happier if you don't think about this kind of stuff too much.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tousou
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Toufu
By Gilgamesh.Tousou 2009-10-07 10:50:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilbusta said:
I think it's a funny joke. Someone who takes this too seriously needs to take a break.

I agree... It is hilarious, if not partially ironic.
[+]
 Leviathan.Leonstrife
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Leonstrife 2009-10-07 11:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
It reminds me of quests in Zelda for some reason. Anyone that needs to be told that FFXI is unproductive probably isn't the brightest person around...

Edit: if you have a group of friends all working together on each others Lu Shang's, the first people to get it will get it much faster, the last person to get it will take the exact amount of time as if he solod it, PROVIDED each person does equal work even after they have their rod.

Thats why I'm saying we need a graph! I'm like 69% sure that at some point that last person will be ahead of time as opposed to him soloing it. course im afraid of such a thing because I have a thing with union dues. HNMLS's are scary enough as it is.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 11:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Let's dumb it right down, 5 people all going for lu shangs, you only need 5 carp to get each one.

5 people hand in 1 each, first person gets rod.
5 people hand in 1 each, second person gets rod.
See where this is going? :p
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-10-07 11:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Let's dumb it right down, 5 people all going for lu shangs, you only need 5 carp to get each one.

5 people hand in 1 each, first person gets rod.
5 people hand in 1 each, second person gets rod.
See where this is going? :p

But can't you fish more with rod? lol

I'm sure everyone would end up doing it faster in the end if not only a bit.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-07 11:16:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I didn't think of that :o Does Lu Shang's actually have a better catch rate on moat carp? Even if it does, what's more likely to happen is that those who get their rod first *** off and leave the last people with nothing.
[+]
 Bahamut.Rumaha
Server: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-10-07 11:18:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Actually I didn't think of that :o Does Lu Shang's actually have a better catch rate on moat carp? Even if it does, what's more likely to happen is that those who get their rod first *** off and leave the last people with nothing.

Indeed.
Blazza said:
PROVIDED each person does equal work even after they have their rod.

That.
 Asura.Lysandre
Server: Asura
user: lysandre
By Asura.Lysandre 2009-10-11 15:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You could also misread it as "you have gathered no less than ten thousand crap" which totally fits in the spirit of the joke >.>
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-11 15:59:42
Link | Quote | Reply

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! NOW YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO HANG UP NEXT TO YOUR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA!!!
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 16:03:37
Link | Quote | Reply

You think that's bad try getting 2... just so you can get your ebisus easier.
 Fenrir.Judeau
user: Spoofer
By Fenrir.Judeau 2009-10-11 16:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I just bought the fish from the Auction Houses with my mule army after wasting my time catching the first thousand... Took a couple of weeks.

Catching 15k stack fish, skilling up, then buying the Moats > catching the lesser-valued Moats you're capped out on.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 16:47:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I fished on mules but still skilled up on my main lol
 Unicorn.Halciform
Server: Unicorn
user: halciform
By Unicorn.Halciform 2009-10-11 16:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

There are way too many people that do invest way too much time/effort into a world that is, in actuality, just a game. Whether SE meant that as a slap to the players or as an in-game joke or not, it is an honest statement and I wish more people would absorb it.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 16:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

In all reality you should be able to reach fishing full fatigue in about 2 hours or so if I remember right. So about say about 100 hours worth of fishing over the course of 50 days assuming no buying or muling... and remember back in the day when they first made that you could litterally fish all day with no fatigue or even having to fight the fish. Just /fish /wait /fish
 Fenrir.Judeau
user: Spoofer
By Fenrir.Judeau 2009-10-11 16:56:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I miss Fishing more than anything else from FFXI, lol... Was relaxing, especially when I was watching tv/movies/etc. on a second TV. My one regret is that I didn't take Fishing up 4 more levels. ;_; I had all the GP items and enough bait from 0/infinity'ing the Pirate's Chart quest to get an Ebisu easily enough, I'd imagine. Assuming I had a trustworthy Woodworker to hang out with me.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 17:03:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Judeau said:
I miss Fishing more than anything else from FFXI, lol... Was relaxing, especially when I was watching tv/movies/etc. on a second TV. My one regret is that I didn't take Fishing up 4 more levels. ;_; I had all the GP items and enough bait from 0/infinity'ing the Pirate's Chart quest to get an Ebisu easily enough, I'd imagine. Assuming I had a trustworthy Woodworker to hang out with me.

Oh god yes. Fishing while watching and posting and stuff. Couldn't stand it without lol. Lol that wont make ebisus easy though. Only luck and/or lots of money will.
 Cerberus.Sifridus
Server: Cerberus
user: Sifridus
By Cerberus.Sifridus 2009-10-11 19:00:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
In all reality you should be able to reach fishing full fatigue in about 2 hours or so if I remember right. So about say about 100 hours worth of fishing over the course of 50 days assuming no buying or muling... and remember back in the day when they first made that you could litterally fish all day with no fatigue or even having to fight the fish. Just /fish /wait /fish

I just got my Lu's not very long ago and fishing nothing but moat carp I'd reach full fatigue no earlier than 4 hours... longer if I was distracted by the t.v.

Anyhow even after getting it and reading the Testimonial, I laughed. I thought it was funny and didn't feel like it was a slap in the face from S.E. Even if I felt it was a slap from the NPC, who the hell does he think he is? Yeah I spent time catching them but he wants them... what DOES he do with all them fish? I'm sure I don't even want to know >.>
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-11 19:04:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sifridus said:

I just got my Lu's not very long ago and fishing nothing but moat carp I'd reach full fatigue no earlier than 4 hours... longer if I was distracted by the t.v.

I've never taken more then 4 hours... and at knightwell at worst I had moat carp bite like 70% of the time at best I litterally had 100%.
 Phoenix.Darkodin
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkodin
By Phoenix.Darkodin 2009-10-11 19:31:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it's funny, it's kinda true in a way XD everything u do in a game has no meaning really, it's just something to pass the time just like most hobbies lol. Shouldn't take it so seriously it's just a little joke from SE :P
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2009-10-11 20:18:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a silly joke ... just like that message that pops up every time you goto play that says dont forget about real life
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-11 23:18:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I just hate fishing, so boring.
 Bismarck.Rinako
Server: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2009-10-11 23:22:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Lilbusta said:

^
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-10-11 23:23:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Rinako said:
Lilbusta said:

^

or die, just to weed out the stupid
 Cerberus.Phyrefly
Server: Cerberus
user: Phyrefly
By Cerberus.Phyrefly 2009-10-11 23:55:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I've noticed that most of the npcs in this game are *** to you, no matter what you do for them. That's why I like D&D...you can punch them, or kill them if you want. lol
First Page 2