First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 67 68 69
 Asura.Geriond
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-08-22 07:05:26
Link | Quote | Reply

DirectX said: »
Yet it was still not killable, until KC DRK exploit which was patched.
Sure it was. Just because no-one did it (without using KC DRKs or pinning) doesn't mean it wasn't killable.

It doesn't matter, anyway, as the coffer isn't even remotely similar to AV.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-08-22 07:31:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Because, statistically, theres no possible way it can KEEP being in the same box. If I keep using the same pattern, eventually It should stop being there.
The chances of it being in box #9 10x in a row are ***, if you haven't done any of the runs yet. If you've opened it in box #9 9x in a row already, it's still the same 1/10 chance it's in box #9 the tenth run. Dice(Random number generators too) don't have memory, this is false logic.

So it was winnable in theory but not winnable in practice. What brilliant logic to support the belief that this is intended to be killed.
Every mechanic so far has been easy to deal with, any decent group can take it to 40% effortlessly and survive the rest of the 30 minutes. The only thing stopping people from producing a win is figuring out what removes the DT again after 40%. Once that's figured out, it should be no problem for a solid group.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-22 08:00:42
Link | Quote | Reply

False logic or not, if you get a 1 in 10 and its the same wrong choice 10 times in a row in the same damn spot you're going to start thinking it's rigged.

If you're betting on coin flips and you get HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH HHH

Your immediate response is "that's a two headed coin you ***"

But it isn't so you keep picking tails, because there's no way it could be heads 46 times in a row....
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-22 09:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Strategy involves using Migawari NINs spamming elemental Hybrid WS/ninjutsu in a wheel to find the weakness. 3 NIN BRD GEO SMN. Next month when everyone has vouchers, I'll test it out with maybe Ruau and another competent NIN.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-08-22 09:51:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Strategy involves using Migawari NINs spamming elemental Hybrid WS/ninjutsu in a wheel to find the weakness. 3 NIN BRD GEO SMN. Next month when everyone has vouchers, I'll test it out with maybe Ruau and another competent NIN.
The issue isn't surviving it's moves. Ramzus, myself, and presumably other groups have already taken it to sub-40% easily. It's no problem to stay alive with damn near any setup including a BRD for the full 30 minutes. You can use any DPS that can do light/dark chains.

Migawari is unnecessary(scherzo is enough), the weakness straight alternates so swapping light/dark SCs effectively removes DT. The issue is that the DT removal mechanic changes entirely under 40% and nobody has figured it out yet.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-22 09:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for Ninja to put it's Andartia's cape on and come save you all.

I might come with a sword, h2h, dagger, etc and see if differing damage types causes it to get lowered. Perhaps it's a balance between weapons, or elements, which is why I partly suggested NIN for Blade Yu/Teki, To, Chi, Ei. Can throw in AE from dagger, and some light/fire ***from sword. NIN is prime for outlasting the mimics, given their damage mitigation, safety nets in miga, and even the Mijin-RR undead trick they can use to their advantage.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-08-22 09:59:59
Link | Quote | Reply

My point was that outlasting isn't an issue. You can stay alive uninterrupted for 30 minutes easily with even a halfass multibox setup, as long as you understand to use scherzo/reraise for ka-thwack and lullaby for death. The only thing that's needed to be able to clear it is understanding of the later mechanics.
By clearlyamule 2018-08-22 10:12:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
clearlyamule said: »
Then why do you keep hitting those same chests in your first 4!?!

Because, statistically, theres no possible way it can KEEP being in the same box. If I keep using the same pattern, eventually It should stop being there. And I guess I want to see how many times I'll let it *** me before I stop bothering to collect silvers.
Statistically your statement would still be true if you take out all the sames in there. If we assume it's random wont matter if there is some tomfoolery going on it might be worse. But good to see how often I guess.... maybe there is some kind of pattern. Maybe not something 100% but pretty likely?
By clearlyamule 2018-08-22 10:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Geriond said: »
Yet it was still not killable, until KC DRK exploit which was patched.
Sure it was. Just because no-one did it (without using KC DRKs or pinning) doesn't mean it wasn't killable.

It doesn't matter, anyway, as the coffer isn't even remotely similar to AV.
I mean technically you are right saying just cause it wasn't done doesn't mean it was impossible... but you also can't exactly state for certainty it was when no one could either
[+]
By Staleyx 2018-08-22 13:05:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought I saw a new title for killing the mimic like mimic masher.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-22 13:15:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be hilarious if the key to breaking the Mimic's DT was Monk Chi Blast...LOL
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-08-22 13:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be hilarious if the key to breaking the Mimic's DT was Monk Chi Blast...LOL

I can totally see SE doing that too lol.
By clearlyamule 2018-08-22 13:26:17
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's just a matter of DT there are brute force ways around that. Not sure if they will provide enough dps to get the last 40% off in time though
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2018-08-22 13:31:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Or the H2H with Colossal Blow and praying for a proc lol
 Fenrir.Snaps
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2018-08-22 13:58:44
Link | Quote | Reply

With capped attack I think our fist damage per strike was able to get over 150 or 200 when it had the DT on. I can't remember exactly, but it might be possible to white damage it to death if you reach 40% quickly enough. That said it's certainly not the path of least resistance. Finding out the remaining mechanics should open up many viable setups and strategies. Our group only tried this for a few hours on a single day and we got to 40% and haven't returned since due to scheduling. It's laughable to compare this fight to AV although I guess at this point AV is like the Godwin's Law of FFXI.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-08-22 13:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Or the H2H with Colossal Blow and praying for a proc lol

With capped haste it actually procs fairly often; not that Mnk will ever get any fame for it.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-22 14:00:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Interestingly enough, DT mechanics stop colossal blow from working.

I tried it on Acuex, they take very small amounts of damage from it. Instead of the 95% Hp it only takes off 2% or so. Played with them when I was mastering PUP like 3 years ago.

Quote:
Does not ignore Damage Taken enhancements, such as physical damage against Slime monsters.
Activates 1~3% of the time.
Never activates on Notorious Monsters, within Salvage, during High-Tier Mission Battlefields, BCNMs, or Apex monsters.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-22 14:55:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Colossal Blow was a neat ability that had potential, but they decided to ruin it by locking it behind a shitty, but cool looking weapon, and then giving monk the same watered down version of the ability by readjusting "Boost". Since the beginning, that trait has never worked on anything meaningful. The highest monster I could find to get that to work on was fodder in Reisenjima/Omen.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Afania 2018-08-22 15:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Dev probably didn't pull "AV is killable" statement out of their ***. They already knew the gimmick since they designed it, and played/tested in a completely lag free environment, in their office. Those 2 were the biggest obsticles for the community to clear AV.

So dev could successfully overcome the gimmick back then because manpower/lag could not stop them in their testing environment. But community couldn't bypass the difficulty of getting enough man power AND overcome lag.

The reason why mimic fight can't be compared with AV is because what's stopping the community to clear AV back then isn't whats stopping the community to clear mimic now.

Manpower is no longer an issue these days. It's a 6 man fight and difficulty isn't balanced for hnm ls with 32 people per event. So far there are no evidence that mimic gimmicks requires playing in a lag free environment to bypass as well.

tl;dr: "Community can't beat AV but SE said they can" and "community can't beat mimic but SE said they can" are basically 2 completely different scenerio and I don't understand why people keep comparing them.

Quote:
Or do you think the devs are highly competent players that know everything about the game?

In terms of how to solve gimmicks/mechanics of an NM, of course they do. They designed it, after all.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-22 15:50:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
In terms of how to solve gimmicks/mechanics of an NM, of course they do. They designed it, after all.

I don't know about that one Afania. This was the same development team that said and I quote "We don't know what Almighty Apkallu is and why it isn't spawning".

It would not surprise me if they deliberately created a Mimic that has such formidable gimmicks and mechanics with the purpose of just pissing players off who were trying to kill it. I know they did say that it could be killed to proceed onward and i do think it will be killed eventually, but knowing SE, you'll take the mimic to 1% and it will use five Mijin Gakures back to back with a "You Lose, baddie!" popup on the screen and the Moogle from ASA pops up and snickers with his shades on and arms folded. It's a typical "*** you" moment just lying in wait.
By clearlyamule 2018-08-22 15:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You're forgetting some major factors in there. Devs thought they could beat AV under these perfect conditions and gave us a time for it... and then whoops couldn't and came out with the vid months later. And then when they did it took an unknown amount of hours but based on the video they went thru over a full game week and said it should take iirc 14+ hours. Really taking this possible to it's fullest technically at this point.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-08-22 15:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about that one Afania. This was the same development team that said and I quote "We don't know what Almighty Apkallu is and why it isn't spawning".
Yeah, when they were asked many years later on a minor NM that was likely envisioned and coded by a single guy that likely didn't work there anymore. That's a heck of a lot different than the battle gimmick of a major NM.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-22 16:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Sarcasm
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2018-08-22 16:26:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If people spent the same amount of time trying the fights as they bitching about them, this ***would've been on farm mode ages ago.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-08-22 16:28:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
If people spent the same amount of time trying the fights as they bitching about them, this ***would've been on farm mode ages ago.

Sounds like effort, this isn't the right game for that.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-08-22 16:39:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Ramzus said: »

Except for the fact that everyone has used most/all of their orbs, so the only thing we can do is ***/complain/theorycraft until....next month.
[+]
 Asura.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Asura.Warusha 2018-08-22 19:07:03
Link | Quote | Reply

I haven't had the energy to level mules to 99 just for orbs. Can they be dboxed?
By Afania 2018-08-22 19:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Warusha said: »
I haven't had the energy to level mules to 99 just for orbs. Can they be dboxed?

Should be able to dbox the items I think, just do Trove BC on mule and dbox drops, not like it has any gear requirement to open boxes.
First Page 2 3 ... 15 16 17 ... 67 68 69