Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-06 13:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Ninian said:

Who brings WHMs and PLDs to things really .____.;

Omega/Ultima, HNM stuff I guess, dynamis, umm stuff...

Going back to topic, devotion would be nice for all those fancy nin/drks out there.

Stop poisoning the minds of young impressionable children with your ideals. D:<

ON TOPIC... yeah Devotion's pretty much great for anything. Especially if you have windower to remind you to use it. Pretty awesome. >:3
 Odin.Aramina
Server: Odin
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-06 14:50:27
Link | Quote | Reply

a healthy amount of CCT + Cure Clogs + anything else that boosts Fast Cast is sweet (Loquacious, etc.)

As far "once a WHM, always a WHM" I think it works out more like...

If you have WHM, and you don't mind coming WHM, you'll always be able to come WHM (someone else that has WHM will gladly come something else most of the time).

As far as Dynamis, probably the jobs that people get pidgeon-holed into the most are:

WHM, RDM, BLM, BRD, PLD, SCH

If you have any of those and any degree of proficiency and decent gear, there's a chance you'll never see Dynamis on any other job. I know that I was Tank Party WHM for 2 different Dynamis shells, and other than AF2 pants, I really didn't care for any of the gear (other than the Belt, which I never got).

I did it because it was somewhat challenging and I enjoyed the chaos. If I'm on WHM, there's no place I'd rather be than Tank Party. I did bring PLD to Dynamis for a while when we really needed it, and that was fun too (and I think I was damn good at it, to be honest). However, once my BLM hit 75, that's what I brought because that was what my shell needed the most.

My Devotion will fill most PLD except Tarutaru, and most NIN/DRK don't have nearly as much MP in their other gear, so you end up wasting a lot. If I have a NIN/DRK, I try to warn them before Devotion so that they can swap to a gear set that has more MP. It's good to know how much their max MP is, so you don't bother with an HP Setup if you don't need it to fill them, too. Any good NIN/DRK, PLD, RDM, BLM etc. should know exactly how much MP they have in their Max state.

In Dynamis, if you have Devotion coming ready soon, and you have people capable of swithcing members smoothly, ask around who needs MP. WHMs can help each other out, or help a RDM who's between Converts and maybe a bit low, or toss a BLM who's soloing a statue a Devo.

Honestly, if you get into the Tank party on WHM, and you can get a SCH/RDM in the Tank party with you, you can do very very well with mostly Regens and cures on the main tank only.

If you get 6 merits, I'd say... Probably CCT 1, Regen 1, and Devotion 1 for starters, save the last one toward next Devotion merit. However, if you can hold out or somehow squeak another merit, I'd say Devotion 1 & 2.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 14:57:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:

If you get 6 merits, I'd say... Probably CCT 1, Regen 1, and Devotion 1 for starters, save the last one toward next Devotion merit. However, if you can hold out or somehow squeak another merit, I'd say Devotion 1 & 2.

Thank you, and everyone else in this thread for your suggestions. I'll post again tomorrow.
 Cerberus.Quipto
Server: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-10-06 17:03:43
Link | Quote | Reply

an easy way to maximize your devo/martyr's is to make a macro that swaps into all your hp gear, c4 on yourself, then hit the JA. as for sublimation, i have a hp build that i will cap sublimation in before we get started on anything that doesnt wipe before we enter. takes about 9 minutes to cap sublimation in this way, but all i do is keep hp build on with stoneskin up on the way to whatever we're going to do. nets me around 360 mp return. works well for einherjar, limbus, sea/sky farming.

also, on the sublimation, it is calculated on CURRENT HP not max hp. it does a check every few seconds. so if youve taken some damage and it has been charging for a few minutes, it will check its percentage to what your hp is at that second.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-07 07:33:30
Link | Quote | Reply

So much for the 6 merits I expected to get yesterday. I was LFP for way too long. The 'merit party' I got was slow (had PLD and THF. Not hating on them, but I think you should only have one of them in a merit PT for good speed), and ended up accepting a level sync party when nothing else came around. 2 merits and about 4k until the next.

Tonight I'll do some campaign while LFP to try to get my third.

I talked to the dyna shell leader and he told me he'd rather me get pro/shell before anything else. So my first 3 merits will go into shellra V. If I manage to get a 4th I'll probably toss it into either CCT or MP.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-07 07:40:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Krizz said:
So much for the 6 merits I expected to get yesterday. I was LFP for way too long. The 'merit party' I got was slow (had PLD and THF. Not hating on them, but I think you should only have one of them in a merit PT for good speed), and ended up accepting a level sync party when nothing else came around. 2 merits and about 4k until the next.

Tonight I'll do some campaign while LFP to try to get my third.

I talked to the dyna shell leader and he told me he'd rather me get pro/shell before anything else. So my first 3 merits will go into shellra V. If I manage to get a 4th I'll probably toss it into either CCT or MP.

Yeah, I unlocked Shellra V and Devotion first, capped Shellra V then CCT, then capped Devotion and someday I'll merit Barspells but I don't feel like I use WHM enough to justify putting merits into it at this point in time. MP merits are really nice, too. Good luck with your Meripos for the next time! D:
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-07 08:40:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The difference between Pro 4 and Pro 5 (1 Merit) is 5 Defense, so it's more about the e-peen of having the spell than anything else. Honestly, that's why I got it when I did >.>

I guess go with what your Dynamis leader says, but seriously, Devotion would probably be a bigger benefit for the LS (if you're in a tank party or a party with any other mage, at least).

Nice that last night, while I was EXPing BST in Sky, I had a nice WHM conversation with someone who had been reading this thread. I really miss big-event WHM, but my schedule just doesn't let me do it much anymore.

BTW, people on Odin, there is someone looking to put together a Melee WHM LS for Burns, so be thinking about it if you'd be interested in it. I did some ages ago in KRT and they were terrific fun (and that was before Mystic Boon!)
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-07 08:50:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Well the only PT members I've had during Dyna with MP were DRKs. That being said, I hadn't even thought of switching out party members just for when Devotion is up (someone suggested it earlier in the thread). I really like that idea. Once I have the ability I'm going to bring it up with the Dyna group to see what they think.

I want Pro V simply for completion. Besides that and shellra V I'm only missing the recall scrolls and shell II.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-07 09:40:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm very accustomed to dynamic personnel swapping during events, since I'm very often a party leader.

My one most memorable event was during JoL when I was tank party WHM (only WHM there) and rotating 3 Chi Blast MNK and a stray BLM in through our last party slot, while also doing all of my WHM duties.

I set /pcmd add and /pcmd kick macros for all of the people I'd be swapping so I could invite them and boot them without text commands or menus.

I know that for TP Burn Kirins (when I've been BRD every time), I used macros for all of my party swapping, including /t to party leaders to let them know I was leaving and who was to follow me.

Anyway, even if it's just popping out to the BLM party to drop one of them 300 MP quick, just ask them who needs it most, drop pt, get in theirs, Devotion, and get back. Should be able to do it all in 30 seconds or less very easily.

Honestly, I really feel bad for you being stuck in a DD party (probably without a refresher). I'd say /SCH if you can for Sublimation, or /SMN for 2/tick refresh.

FoV Refresh WILL carry into Dynamis (also Limbus), but it will only last for the first hour or until you die. That's something that your DRKs may want to think about if they can run outside town and go get it fast just before start time.

Tank Party for Life!!!
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-10-07 09:50:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Chiblast mnks are so old school.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-07 10:46:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe so, but when you have 30 people show up for an event, it's nice to find a way to involve as many as you can, and some people have spent a lot of time on their Chi Blast setups, so why not let em do their thing?

Granted it's not constant damage, but having a MNK like Ceri drop 1500 Dmg Chi Blasts on the Behemoth in Horns of War is handy. Something like JoL or Kirin they can just sit outside Ally boosting and get popped in for those few seconds needed to do their thing.

Besides, it's kinda fun to hear them whimper when they get missed and their Boosts wear off...
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2009-10-07 11:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

having capped Regen, in theory is nice, but, in an imperfect world, after you Regen 3 someone(like a DD) and wait for it to cap em off.... only to be capped off from a Rdm/Brd or another whm in alliance.

edit: someone mentioned it before, seems i skipped the post =P

ShellraV is a must, will save Most of your pt during say... Kirin AstralFlow, when the rest of alliance drops dead (i have seen it)
1/5 ProV because otherwise ppl would call you gimp. gives em a lil more security too, like being well protected =P And its shiney!
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-07 11:25:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Misao said:
having capped Regen, in theory is nice, but, in an imperfect world, after you Regen 3 someone(like a DD) and wait for it to cap em off.... only to be capped off from a Rdm/Brd or another whm in alliance.

That's one of the main reasons I don't use regen a lot. I'll use it on the DDs that randomly get hate and only take minute amounts of damage. (and then it's never more than a regen II used)
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-10-07 11:31:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Then Barspell merits are the way to go for sure..Trust me you won't look back and regret it..ever.

Barspell 5/5 and since you don't regen a lot then CCT is the next clear option.
[+]
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-10-07 12:09:23
Link | Quote | Reply

*Shrugs.* 28HP/tick is nice when anyone's tanking.
 Odin.Aramina
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-07 12:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

What Tbest said...

Keep Regen III on the tank and then use small Regens to top off other people who are down a little from AoE, but not down so far to draw the attention of a major cure.

Especially in something like Dynamis or Sea/Sky farming where there's a pretty good chance that your tank is PLD/WAR.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Halleth
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Halleth 2009-10-09 22:30:30
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Cure Cast 5/5
Bar Spell 5/5
Shellra V 5/5
Protecra V 1/5
Devotion 4/5

White Mages Magic Defense Bonus is its best asset to endgame.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-09 22:35:15
Link | Quote | Reply

To all those who 1/5 Protectra V! Stand up to your LS leaders, explain to them why they're silly and why it's such a horrible merit!! 5/5 Devotion is where it's at! D: Don't let others pressure you into meritting silly things that make them feel safer without actually making them that much safer. :<
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-09 22:38:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Halleth said:

White Mages Magic Defense Bonus is its best asset to endgame.

QFT. Its the main area they pwn schs and rdms in as far as terms of support since really anyone can cure
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
Server: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2009-10-14 22:47:38
Link | Quote | Reply

5/5 cure cast
5/5 barspell
5/5 shellra5
5/5 devotion

you'll never regret it.

Regen merits ARE nice, but they can't compare tocure cast and barspell imo. You just cant beat them for anytime you'll need them. You can already get a mini-regen merit through af2 body.

Don't get me wrong though. If I could have a 3rd spot for even just 1 job forever, I'd get regen merits and never look back.
[+]