WHM Merits
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-06 11:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
We got no White Magic and no Ninjutsu on same floor, F80 Cerberus... Yeah, that's pretty brutal. We managed to get it down to about 15% even with that happening. our BLU had to change spell-set and try to do what she could to keep people alive.

Ouch, we've had ninjutsu restriction twice and white magic restriction once on bosses, one of the ninjutsu's we wiped very *** fast, the other one we pulled through, but the first time I think we just got a lot tougher boss (beats me why nyzul bosses vary in strength so much on the same floor).

The white magic restriction the plan was to have me main heal on blu, but I just popped a fanatics and threw myself at it like I always do, think I cured someone once <_<

But yeah, both of those at once would be horrible.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 11:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
Argettio said:
It depends what you use your WHM for, but a general purpose EG WHM should look something like:

Group 1 (HNM)
5/5 Regen
5/5 Bar spell

Group 1 (Event shell)
5/5 Regen
5/5 Cure cast

Group 2
5/5 Shellra V
3/5 Martyr
1/5 Devotion
1/5 Protectra V

Group 1
Regen is great. The most efficient way to cure some one in the game (sans SCH AOE)

Cure timer vs bar spell depends on what you do. With HNMs there is likely to be big magic attacks, so bar makes sense. In events like dynamis/limbus etc you are more likely to need to through out fast cures as the fight moves and changes.

Group 2
Protect V is cool, but defence isn't a realistic way to reduce damage against the high level mobs, unlock it, but don't waste points on upgrading it.

5/5 Shell is essential for all those working out their MDT builds (they aim for 25% and assume their WHM has enough merits to cover the other 25%)

Martyr and Devotion are pretty subjective, you can go 2 on each or 3 and 1 (either way). Your call based on how you play the job.
I agree with this for the most part.

If you're not fighting HNM's or Ultima, you don't really need the Bar Spell merits and can go Cure Cast time instead. Remember, the Bar spell merits gives an added overall Magic Defense Bonus +2 for each level for a max of +10 when it's at lvl 5. This is GREAT for Ninja Mijin Gakure in Dyna as well.

Shellra V is similar to your Bar Spell merit. It's very situational and only useful on big HNM's or Ultima with a 'semi-usefulness' in Dynamis. Shellra V going from lvl 1 to 5 isn't THAT big of an increase tbh. You get ~24.2% with lvl 1 Shellra V and ~27.34% with lvl 5 Shellra V. If you're taking a 1000 dmg hit, you're going to take 758 dmg w/ lvl 1 Shellra V and 727 dmg w/ lvl 5 Shellra V. That's a difference of a whopping 31 dmg for a 1000 dmg hit. If you really want to max it, go for it. It's not going to be a huge difference that you'll notice though.

Protectra V is similar as well. You get 60 defense with lvl 1 and 68 defense with lvl 5. Get lvl 1, don't really worry about maxing it.

I do agree that Regen is very useful and maxing it is a good idea.

As for the Devotion/Martyr merits... I'd unlock both first and decide later how each of them impacts your play style / events you do.

For general merits... I wouldn't bother throwing anything in Mnd unless you're Rdm and focus primarily on enfeebling with Para/Slow/Silence/etc. A couple extra Mnd will NOT be useful on your Whm. If you do lvl Blm and Sch to 75, maxing your Int will be MUCH more valuable.

Looks like you're primarily focusing on jobs that could benefit from Enmity -, so that would be a good idea.

I'd stay away from the Combat / Magic skills until you have other jobs that can use them. Whm doesn't really benefit from them.

Haseyo said:
You know, I just thought of it...why isn't "Cure Potency" a merit. >.>;
Because if it were a merit all Whm's would have it maxed at 5% along with Regen at 5hp/tic. Then you'd have people choosing Whm over other mages for healing! /gasp!

umm barspell has no effect on mijin gakure and + mnd has a big effect on cure 5 potency.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 11:00:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, next question.

I am currently 12k/44k XP. I have Dyna-Windy tomorrow. I plan on XPing today.

The question is: Should I go ahead and switch to limit points and earn merits today? If so, which should I be able to get today that would benefit tomorrow? Say I get at least 3 (aiming for ~5) hours worth of PTing.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 11:04:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Depends how much you usually die and what events you do.

If you're capped exp, it's not hard to recap it again.

However a lot of people think 10k is good enough buffer to start getting merits. Because merits make you 75.

Well I'm talking about just for today. When I XP Thursday / Friday I'm going to switch to XP if I'm not capped.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if there's anything worth focusing on today that will help with Dyna tomorrow.

Edit: I typically die once during Dyna. Worst run I died three times.
 Odin.Aramina
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-10-06 11:05:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Techincally, as WHM, you should always be able to keep RR3 on yourself, so your personal EXP loss shouldn't be bad, but then again, 12k is not a huge buffer for Windy...

Then again, I was on BLM for Dynamis most of the time once I got it to 75.

Since you can do dynamic LP/EXP changing nowadays, I'd say take at least 3-5k EXP, then switch it. Continue to do that every time you merit until you're capped EXP.

If you get at least 3 merits, I'd say your best spent merit for Dynamis will be Devotion, even if it's just 1/5 for now. Regen merits will help, as would CCT, but being able to refill a PLD's MP in an endurance event like Dynamis is huge, even if it's only every once in a while.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-06 11:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Heimdall said:
umm barspell has no effect on mijin gakure and + mnd has a big effect on cure 5 potency.

No but the added MDB with merited barspell potency DOES have an effect on mijin.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-06 11:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Trust me, with a constant RRIII, you will not need more than 5k exp to be honest. I've had 40~44k exp/44k buffer on Whm for months; it's never dropped below that. 12k is more than enough. I just fully capped it so I never would have to worry about it again.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 11:06:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Aramina said:
Techincally, as WHM, you should always be able to keep RR3 on yourself, so your personal EXP loss shouldn't be bad, but then again, 12k is not a huge buffer for Windy...

Then again, I was on BLM for Dynamis most of the time once I got it to 75.

Since you can do dynamic LP/EXP changing nowadays, I'd say take at least 3-5k EXP, then switch it. Continue to do that every time you merit until you're capped EXP.

If you get at least 3 merits, I'd say your best spent merit for Dynamis will be Devotion, even if it's just 1/5 for now. Regen merits will help, as would CCT, but being able to refill a PLD's MP in an endurance event like Dynamis is huge, even if it's only every once in a while.

Devotion is PT only, right? I typically don't have a PLD in my PT so unless it works on alliances I don't see it being a lot of use tomorrow. Unless I wanna fill a DRKs MP or something.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-06 11:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah it's PT onry, but it's still nice to know you have it.
I don't know what linkshells die in Windy so often. Most I've died in Windy is once, out of 3 linkshells.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 11:11:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Heimdall said:

No but the added MDB with merited barspell potency DOES have an effect on mijin.

hmm wiki says it doesnt and in dynamis peeps keep saying not bother castign it
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-06 11:12:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know about MDB, but I know for sure Barfira has no effect on Mijin.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 11:12:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
Yeah it's PT onry, but it's still nice to know you have it.
I don't know what linkshells die in Windy so often. Most I've died in Windy is once, out of 3 linkshells.

2/3 deaths on the worst run (Jeuno) was because I misjudged healing aggro range. I would be kneeling and suddenly BAM dead when the pull came running through.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-06 11:14:13
Link | Quote | Reply

There are too many rumours and not enough fact about mijin gakure. Personally I believe that it's non elemental damage, but MDB should definitely reduce it even though barspell won't (even though it's non-elemental, it's still magic).
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-06 11:14:51
Link | Quote | Reply

That Thf pull macro that says "PULLING TOMBSTONE NO RESTING!" shouldn't be tested, lol. Get yo *** up!
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 11:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so hoping that I can get at least 6 points today.

3 points for devotion

Should I put the the other 3 points into shellra V?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 11:19:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Haseyo said:
That Thf pull macro that says "PULLING TOMBSTONE NO RESTING!" shouldn't be tested, lol. Get yo *** up!

Eh, I was warned ahead of time, but I wasn't familiar with the pull / kiting paths. Now I always double check the location of our puller before taking a knee.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-10-06 11:19:33
Link | Quote | Reply

regen might be more usefull if sub is /blm
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-06 11:27:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Depends. In my other linkshell, I had a Whm that would never use Regen and only used Cures, and she always would cure my party when they had Regen, so my relic body + Regen merits were a waste. =/

I like teh shinieee buffz so I went with Shellra/Protectra V first.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-06 11:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Meriting enfeebling magic could be useful too, especially if you want to level rdm sometime. BLM could always use more enfeebling, and whm uses it sometimes.

Is repose enfeebling or divine?

divine
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-10-06 12:00:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Enfeebling merits come in handy for little things like Nyzul, Assaults, Campaign, or ISNM. A whm shouldn't be used for landing enfeeb magic on anything higher lvl. And if you lvl blm most likely do Elemental first then Enfeebling magic.
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-06 12:57:39
Link | Quote | Reply

tl;dr like, everything but.... what I would do is...

5/5 Cure cast time
5/5 Devotion
5/5 Shellra V

Protectra V is really meh, and Devotion is really yummy. Any mage you party with will love you for Devotion.

I haven't decided if I want to merit Regen or Barspells but since the only thing I use my WHM on are things that need Shellra/Barspells, I'm probably going to merit Barspells. Regen would be nice for Salvage (I really, really need to level RDM =.=) but I'd really level another job if you want to heal in salvage.

Merit MP.

Don't waste Stat and Magic merits on WHM, use those for BLM. Put INT all the way, and do Elemental/Enfeebling....

As for DNC... I really love my DNC merits and I suggest you merit it sometime in the future...
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-10-06 13:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

The more I think about it just do some backasswards goofy merits so you don't have to share the same fate as me..Im always stuck on whm!
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-06 13:14:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Zorander said:
The more I think about it just do some backasswards goofy merits so you don't have to share the same fate as me..Im always stuck on whm!

Level BRD and you'll never see WHM again. Just saying. :< (Or RDM, or BLM...)

Edit: You have both RDM and BLM and you're still WHM? Sucky.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-06 13:18:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Or do what I did - tell the linkshell you're quitting Whm; watch them get pissy; leave to another linkshell that takes you as another job! :D
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2009-10-06 13:20:19
Link | Quote | Reply

lately I have been going blm to stuff which I find very entertaining..only done Limbus Dual, KS99, and a few Dyna's so far but at least its a change from the same old same old.

For the most part I love whm, it's never been my "Main Job" and never will be but I enjoy doing most things on whm. Dynamis on the other hand is the exception, dynamis on whm is awful and insainly boring.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-06 13:29:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Zorander said:

It's true, once a whm always a whm. Your only hope is to level pld, but then you suffer the same fate.

Who brings WHMs and PLDs to things really .____.;

Anyway, WHMs are nice for the things it's good at, but I kinda wish I leveled RDM instead. :s