New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Phalanx + 102% SIRD Set
Phalanx + 102% SIRD Set
By SimonSes 2022-01-14 14:58:00
Link | Quote | Reply

soralin said: »
In what world does your phalanx last 5 minutes...? How are you achieving ~+70% increased phalanx duration...?

ehh.. really?

You cast phalanx before pull. It lasts 3 min base. It's about to wear off. You use Sentinel and recast phalanx. You go kill mobs, you cast Phalanx WITHOUT sentinel before next pull with fresh 3 min duration. Before it wears off, you have Sentinel again. You don't need Sentinel for each Phalanx cast, only the one mid pull.

Another fact that makes SIRD set during cleave pointless. Merit Iron Will for 95% SIRD during Rampart. Its pretty easy to Merit something before cleave session. Rampart has less than 3 min cooldown. Btw Rampart -25% SDT would probably also force 0 damage hits, so even without Iron Will it would let you cast uninterrupted.
By soralin 2022-01-14 15:10:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Well considering one of the primary cases of when I go out and do a quick cleave is specifically for the purpose of refilling merits so I can spam HTBF, the suggestion of dumping merits is a non starter.

But also the idea of constantly juggling my merits just so I can be lazy and avoid making a proper Phalanx SIRD set is bonkers.

I mean its literally Final Fantasy XI we are playing here.

The entire point of this goddamn game is making yet another niche gearset for your jobs.

Telling someone "dont bother making <gearset> because you can just do <obnoxious and annoying workaround>" for this game is bizarre.

Lets set aside the discussion of whether you can do obnoxious unreliable ***so you can be lazy and avoid grinding for gear in a game where the entire point is grinding for gear.

Lets just focus on discussing the min-max sets for reliably keeping SIRD up during Phalanx

If you don't want to make a SIRD phalanx set for your character, thats your prerogative.

But you can keep that to yourself and stop clogging up the thread with workarounds like "just juggle your merits and blow sentinel and rampart CDs to cast phalanx"

I'm not gonna dig into whether thats even a good idea. Its not worth the energy.

This is about discussing the set options themselves and min maxing the gearset.
By SimonSes 2022-01-14 15:21:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Im not questioning Sird Phalanx set in general. I think it can be cool for some niche things like farming something that spams dispel etc. I'm just trying to say it's not required to cast phalanx during cleave. The discussion is that long, because you try to find
soralin said: »
bajillion
false reasons for those other solution to not work, instead of simply acknowledging them, but say that you want Phalanx Sird set anyway.
By Hopalong 2022-01-14 21:52:07
Link | Quote | Reply

There's infinite ways to specialize. Sometimes a Paladin just wants Phalanx to work across the board.

Sometimes, Sentinel shouldn't be tied to Phalanx to be able to use it independently.

Sometimes (always) I never want to change merit points on a job unless I get a wild hair.

Sometimes (usually) smart SIRD use during a cleave is never pointless. I love my SIRD Phalanx and SIRD CureIII and IV for during the pull. Are you kidding me, should I let myself die? To be fair, I use the hell out of Sentinel during the pull as I enter camp and need everything to be solid, and Rampart is better used immediately after the first AE to solidify hate.

All these things are nonspecific for how specific we can get.

Definitely respect the hell out of all you posters, just giving my pov. I could be wrong, learning from FFXI-AH/BG-Wiki is the best we got right. One thing I've read and seen, is what y'all were saying about being in Phalanx set before the pull and getting improved phalanx from Rdm or King which is the way to go. That's not always feasible to be fair.
By SimonSes 2022-01-15 03:37:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok maybe I used wrong words.
My point was that Phalanx SIRD set is NOT REQUIRED for cleave. It's one of the alternatives, that can be used to cast Phalanx during cleave. I wanted to provide other alternatives. The problem was Soralin provide tons of invalid (excuses) reasons why those other alternatives can't be used. They are all valid and can be used, same as SIRD Phalanx set, but the SIRD Phalanx set is the hardest to acquire of them all.
[+]
 Asura.Jinbe
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Jinbe 2022-01-15 03:48:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Just add toggle to your phalanx midcast & add as much as u want from deferent sets, i do have 3 phalanx set that i use when needed, i have the normal with full potency and SIRD one for shitty situation and i made i duration one which give me 4min12sec just for the lol
[+]
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2022-01-15 04:59:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I cleaved a lot for my PLDs CP my alts CP and friends CP.

With Ochain and reprisal on I never needed to cast Phalanx in SIRD equipment. Even if 1 mob goes off to your side you can cast Phalanx between their hits.

If you actually read what Simon said about the 5min Phalanx you would see he said King's Phalanx II has 5min duration.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [483 days between previous and next post]
By Galkapryme 2023-05-13 08:42:27
Link | Quote | Reply

For the sake of clarity for someone trying to tighten up his PLD, what is the Phalanx + number we're aiming for (or at least a range)? I'm currently sitting at

Phalanx +22
SIRD Capped
PDT I Capped

ItemSet 391220

sets["PLD_Phalanx_SIRD"] = {
main="Sakpata's Sword", -- Phalanx +5/DT 10
sub="Priwen", -- Phalanx +2/DT 6
ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1", -- SIRD 11/DT 3
head="Souv. Schaller +1", -- SIRD 20
neck="Moonlight Necklace", -- SIRD 15
ear1="Knightly Earring", -- SIRD 9
ear2="Chev. Earring +1", -- DT 5
body="Chev. Cuirass +3", -- SIRD 20
hands="Souv. Handsch. +1", -- Phalanx 5/MDT 5
ring1="Defending Ring", -- DT 10
ring2="Moonlight Ring", -- DT 5
back="Rudianos's Mantle", -- SIRD 10/DT 3
waist="Audumbla Sash", -- SIRD 10/PDT 4
legs="Sakpata's Cuisses", -- Phalanx 5/DT 9
feet="Souveran Schuhs +1" -- Phalanx 5/PDT 5
}
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-05-13 09:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think there's a target phalanx value. It's not like it caps or anything. It's just get as much as you can reasonably get. The higher the phalanx, the higher dmg hits we can 0.

And while I do see value in a SIRD phalanx set so you can get phalanx back up uninterrupted, I'd be recasting over that in a full potency set once the "Phalanx is gonna wear then I'll die" emergency is over.
[+]
By Beau 2023-05-13 09:28:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well you should have 1) a maxed +Phalanx set without regard to capping SIRD completely for times when you don't expect to be interrupted, and 2) this set to toggle into if you are getting interrupted. Don't forget you can get phalanx+3 on yorium head/body before attempting for 4/5 on valorous/odyssean Dark Matter augments.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-05-13 09:31:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Yorium can actually be particularly useful for a SIRD/Phalanx set, as you can get +3 phalanx, and SIRD -10% augs on the same piece. Although, Yorium is rather... defensively painful these days.

Sear SE, I'd like some more new SIRD gear please.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
Server: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-05-13 09:45:09
Link | Quote | Reply

It's also worth noting that times you're definitely going to be interrupted should be extremely rare these days. If you can keep mobs in front of you then you can block an extremely high % of their attacks, with Reprisal it will be essentially 100% for anything you'll be fighting more than one of, and for a lot of content you'll get hit for 0 even if you don't block. A lot of content (Omen, Dynamis, Vagary, etc.) you can reset Phalanx in between pulls, or have a mage in party to cast a longer duration Phalanx on you.

I can't think of the last time I was trying to cast Phalanx on myself while being attacked by multiple enemies who had a risk of interrupting me.

I'm not saying it's impossible or that you guys aren't playing with different group compositions which necessitate this or something, but I just don't see the need for this in the stuff I do. I guess if you're doing Odyssey seg farms and a pull lasts longer than ~3 minutes, you don't have a SCH, you can't keep the current pull in front of you, and your group doesn't BRD sleep the mobs after you pull? IDK we don't bring tanks to Odyssey seg farms anymore.
By Galkapryme 2023-05-13 10:28:23
Link | Quote | Reply

For me, the one area I'm struggling with is Oddy-C farming with PLD/BLU. Trying to be a badass, I attempt to pull 2+ groups. Sometimes, I do all right, and sometimes I get my *** handed to me.
 Bahamut.Belkin
Server: Bahamut
user: Belkin
By Bahamut.Belkin 2023-05-13 10:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Galkapryme said: »
For me, the one area I'm struggling with is Oddy-C farming with PLD/BLU. Trying to be a badass, I attempt to pull 2+ groups. Sometimes, I do all right, and sometimes I get my *** handed to me.

Almost assuredly an issue where one of your sets is not capped DT. Probably when you cast BLU spells. I ended up adjusting my BLU magic sets for less enmity and more DT for the sole purpose of not getting trucked by 3 Sheol C packs at once.

When you get your salad tossed 'randomly' it is because you aren't capped DT in a set, you are wearing the wrong shield, OR you forgot Phalanx.
By Galkapryme 2023-05-13 11:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I do have a regular Phalanx set that is not SIRD, but that only adds 4 Phalanx.
By Galkapryme 2023-05-13 11:11:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Belkin said: »

Almost assuredly an issue where one of your sets is not capped DT. Probably when you cast BLU spells. I ended up adjusting my BLU magic sets for less enmity and more DT for the sole purpose of not getting trucked by 3 Sheol C packs at once.

When you get your salad tossed 'randomly' it is because you aren't capped DT in a set, you are wearing the wrong shield, OR you forgot Phalanx.

Hmmm...interesting, considering I'm always capped DT (and PDT II when using Burtgang). I wanna do a test run, but I don't wanna waste anyone's Oddy-C KI just so I can play around with PLD.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-05-13 11:23:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmm. Well there's definitely room to improve. I tend to pull entire floors in one pull, depending on mob types. Avoid casters, etc. The lag is nuts though.

A few things to help with pulling.

Outside buffs. It's possible to buff outside of Sheol in Rabao, and many buffs will be retained on entry. Things like protect, shell, regen, etc. So you can have someone SCH and cast a really long lasting regen. Perhaps even have them Tabula Rasa for even more potency. Can also have a cor us naturalist's roll for increases duration. The regen is a huge deal for surviving long pulls. I think my alt's regen V is up to like.. 26 minutes? Lasts most of the run.

Having the BRD give you a minne can help a lot. One notable property of Sheol C mobs is that they have wtf high atk. Making def a lot more valuable than you'd normally see pre-Sheol.

And as a follow up to this tidbit on def... gearing for more DEF can help with surviving.

I use this set in Sheol C. Although I swap in Srivatsa, and change the cape to a VIT/DEF cape during actual pulls. Swap shield again once lined up at camp.
ItemSet 383030
I'm at just over 2k DEF unbuffed and before food in this set. Capped PDT, 49% DT(with Srivatsa)

I also use two pieces with enemy critical hit rate-. Fortified Ring and eluder's Sachet for -12% enemy crit. Since many regular hits hit for 0(but by no means all) the thing that tends to really hurt is the crits. These pieces make make mob crits very rare. It's possible to push mobs down to the hard floor of 1% crit rate.

And of course, Burtgang is gonna be a big deal for this. Not sure whether you have one or not.

Phalanx. Phalanx is huge for this. If phalanx wears before you're at camp, you're probably dead, barring using an oh ***JA like sentinel. So uninterrupted recasting is pretty important.

There's also the matter of potency. My self cast phalanx is at -31 base(ML36), and +37 phalanx gear. So -68 dmg. This potency assumes sword/shield swaps. -61 without.

But, if I have a RDM or SCH to cast on me, I get 35 base from their 500 skill, then stack my phalanx gear on it for -72 dmg. And perhaps most importantly, the Phalanx can last over 10 minutes, making it possible to never need to recast mid pull. Barring dispels, and such. Not having to recast mid pull makes things much safer.

That's all that's coming to mind at the moment.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-05-13 11:25:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Also, I do have a regular Phalanx set that is not SIRD, but that only adds 4 Phalanx.
Only +4 more? Even without DM augs, you should be able to get +3 more on the head and body, so 6 between the two, then another +5 from Weard mantle. So +11 over your SIRD phalanx.
By Galkapryme 2023-05-13 11:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

@ Ragnarok.Martel, thanks for the feedback.
[+]
By Galkapryme 2023-05-13 11:30:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Only +4 more? Even without DM augs, you should be able to get +3 more on the head and body, so 6 between the two, then another +5 from Weard mantle. So +11 over your SIRD phalanx.

I should re-acquire a Weard mantle. My Yorium head and body each only have +2. I was trying for +3 and just pissing myself off with all the missed augs.
By Galkapryme 2023-05-13 11:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

And just like that...I got them both to +3.
[+]
 Asura.Otomis
By Asura.Otomis 2023-05-13 11:36:48
Link | Quote | Reply

For the sake of clarity for someone trying to tighten up his PLD, what is the Phalanx + number we're aiming for (or at least a range)? I'm currently sitting at

Phalanx +22
SIRD Capped
PDT I Capped

ItemSet 391220

sets["PLD_Phalanx_SIRD"] = {
main="Sakpata's Sword", -- Phalanx +5/DT 10
sub="Priwen", -- Phalanx +2/DT 6
ammo="Staunch Tathlum +1", -- SIRD 11/DT 3
head="Souv. Schaller +1", -- SIRD 20
neck="Moonlight Necklace", -- SIRD 15
ear1="Knightly Earring", -- SIRD 9
ear2="Chev. Earring +1", -- DT 5
body="Chev. Cuirass +3", -- SIRD 20
hands="Souv. Handsch. +1", -- Phalanx 5/MDT 5
ring1="Defending Ring", -- DT 10
ring2="Moonlight Ring", -- DT 5
back="Rudianos's Mantle", -- SIRD 10/DT 3
waist="Audumbla Sash", -- SIRD 10/PDT 4
legs="Sakpata's Cuisses", -- Phalanx 5/DT 9
feet="Souveran Schuhs +1" -- Phalanx 5/PDT 5
}

Using Dark matter to get +5 Phalanx on Odyssean greaves is worthwhile. Swap 2nd Ring to Gelatinous Ring +1, Swap Body/Head to Yorium with +3 Phalanx/+10 Sird/+25 Def. Hands are Path C.

+33 Phalanx.
+103 Sird.
+50% PDT.
Over capped MDT with Shell V.

ItemSet 391224
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-05-13 11:51:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Otomis said: »
Using Dark matter to get +5 Phalanx on Odyssean greaves is worthwhile
Bonus points if you can get phalanx+5 AND 10% SIRD augment at the same time. rofl. god the R.N.G...

My best on feet so far was a 3.
[+]
By Galkapryme 2023-05-14 14:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Otomis,

I can stand to get my Phalanx up more, I suppose (will cost a small fortune). Some items, I still don't have, like the Gel ring, and the magnetic earring. Having the hardest time getting a Weard mantle (or any mantle, since I have 2 at present) from rieves.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-05-14 14:49:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Do an infailsion you'll get 20 then trade em in for pld
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2023-05-14 16:25:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Do an infailsion you'll get 20 then trade em in for pld
I had to stare at this for an embarrassingly long time before I realized it's referring to Incursion. But yeah, that's a good way to get some capes to trade in.
Otomis,

I can stand to get my Phalanx up more, I suppose (will cost a small fortune). Some items, I still don't have, like the Gel ring, and the magnetic earring. Having the hardest time getting a Weard mantle (or any mantle, since I have 2 at present) from rieves.
On the off chance that you weren't already aware, the DM aug campaign is currently up. The good one, so 12 'Technique' augment chances per day. Good time to try for +5's on head and body.
By zixxer 2023-05-15 13:56:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Behold! I got the god roll!
[+]
 Sylph.Pve
Server: Sylph
user: zsky
By Sylph.Pve 2023-05-15 14:40:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Asura.Otomis said: »
Using Dark matter to get +5 Phalanx on Odyssean greaves is worthwhile
Bonus points if you can get phalanx+5 AND 10% SIRD augment at the same time. rofl. god the R.N.G...

Maximize your chances!

Level all 16 characters in your account

Progress with missions on all of them up to RoV where you unlock Reisenjima access

Farm 16 Odyssean Boots (so you save time dboxing the same boots to each mule)

Curse at Oseem 16 x 12 times daily!

Still won't get the god roll, but hey, this is the way!
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2023-05-15 14:59:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I like some of these sets but you really don't need SIRD in a phalanx set even during a cleave. I want max potency phalanx at all times. I used to have a duration phalanx set, a SIRD phalanx set, not worth it.....

You cast before pull and the mobs are dead before the next pull 95% of the time.

If you're in a situation where you need to apply the buff during engagement, shield blocks with reprisal and priwen on, should allow you to cast uninterrupted.

If you're in a situation where they are hitting you from all sides, put sentinel on and you will be able to cast uninterrupted as long as you aren't getting knocked back.

In extreme emergencies, there's also the "oh ***" invincible button that will let you get phalanx up easily.

Most importantly, don't let your existing phalanx drop before you reapply it. That's what gets most people killed.

I personally would rather have the 5+ more potency and/or hp these sets are losing during cast but that fits my playstyle, ymmv.