Worst REMA?
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-01-25 11:14:42
Link | Quote | Reply

There is a lot of talk about people looking for the "best of the best" weapons. So I ask, what is the >Worst< REMA?

I would probably say Tishtrya.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-25 11:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Nope, Khatvanga.

Not even a good lockstyle. Melee GEO and WHM are occasionally a thing at least
 Asura.Valguard
user: himself87
By Asura.Valguard 2018-01-25 11:33:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Srivatsa is a contender.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
Server: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2018-01-25 11:45:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Khatvanga can be used to make a powerful occult acumen set allowing you to get 1k tp in few nukes. Then the TP bonus will help with Myrkr. In other words, it has a use. There is no situation where you'd say "hmmm, I could really use a Srivatsa right now." My vote is Srivatsa.
[+]
 Cerberus.Resetti
Server: Cerberus
user: Freezepop
By Cerberus.Resetti 2018-01-25 11:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd have to say Srivatsa as well. :(
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-25 11:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Khatvanga can be used to make a powerful occult acumen set allowing you to get 1k tp in few nukes. Then the TP bonus will help with Myrkr. In other words, it has a use. There is no situation where you'd say "hmmm, I could really use a Srivatsa right now." My vote is Srivatsa.

It's a novel idea but no /actual/ use.

At least Srivatsa gets used as a lockstyle
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-25 11:54:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say Claustrum is still pretty high on the list of ***REMA's. The only use I can possibly see is a Manawall tanking set with it's Aftermath, and even that's sketchy as hell.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-01-25 11:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Srivatsa is nice for Enmity, so if you're facing a mob whose damage is trivial on you, but you still want them off the DDs, it's got a tiny niche. Plus, it's kind of good for mobs where breath damage is literally the only threat (since it has 8% BDT and 5% damage annul). It really should have been the Status Effect shield, with like Resist All Status +30-50.

My vote is Redemption; inferior weapon linked to a crappy WS, of an inferior weapon type for the job that can use it, on the second most expensive REMA path (Riftcinder Empyrean) after Ergon. You can get a better scythe from the auction house for 2% of the price.

It's Chloris path, too.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-01-25 12:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Funny, I've seen an AG'd Redemption possibly once in my career. Immediately said "wtf is that ***?". It looks cool at the very least. Argument can be made that you can still use it with Cross Reaper (which is both STR/MND mods) for the occasional triple damage, so it's probably not the worst option in practice. In terms of effort:reward, probably.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-01-25 12:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Even an NQ Raetic Scythe will do better with Cross Reaper spam than AG Redemption (and Anguta beats them both at it).
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2018-01-25 12:31:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Nirvana is pretty awful, I mean who uses Summon.... Oh wait.
[+]
 Cerberus.Logical
Server: Cerberus
user: cronix
By Cerberus.Logical 2018-01-25 12:58:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Nirvana is pretty awful, I mean who uses Summon.... Oh wait.

[+]
By Hlifhildr 2018-01-25 13:23:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Srivatsa has the highest Enmity+, HP+ and MP+ in slot. I don't think it is completely useless.

What about Guttler?
There are better Pet: stat weapons BST could be using?
 Sylph.Gobbo
Server: Sylph
user: Gobbo
By Sylph.Gobbo 2018-01-25 13:23:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »

It's a novel idea but no /actual/ use.

At least Srivatsa gets used as a lockstyle

Get a load of this guy not making Occult Acumen builds on SCH to conserve Strategems by substituting a Weapon Skill instead of an Immanence Nuke to create a Skillchain.
[+]
 Asura.Biglovin
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2018-01-25 13:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Funny, I've seen an AG'd Redemption possibly once in my career. Immediately said "wtf is that ***?". It looks cool at the very least. Argument can be made that you can still use it with Cross Reaper (which is both STR/MND mods) for the occasional triple damage, so it's probably not the worst option in practice. In terms of effort:reward, probably.

No AM procs on WS with empys. Lockstyle though! IT is gorgeous imo
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-01-25 14:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh wow that's pathetic. Yikes.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Server: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-01-25 14:42:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Relic:
Claustrum I guess? Like Saevel mentioned, the Aftermath is kinda novel - but man that would be such a super-niche thing to actually use in practice. I'm no PLD expert, but Excalibur also seems kinda bad - though I guess it's conceivable that it's a sort of hybrid decent offense and decent defensive AM (with a bad WS) weapon, if that's ever a thing?

Mythic/Ergon:
Nagi is pretty bad! In theory, people might say there's a niche for tanking due to the high enmity (and a reeeeeal stretch would be saying Macc for ninjutsu). In reality, it's garbage DPS, attached to a garbage WS, and not used for anything NINs have done this decade. Even in the rare instances you're straight up tanking mobs in a party on NIN: (a) in areas where old enmity mechanics still apply, you might want enmity more... but you really hold damage by DOING damage, which Nagi massively gimps, and (b) in the post enmity-change world, Enm+ on weapon won't make a difference anyway if your other DDs are capping CE.

Also, worst enhances JA/trait effect on any mythic. Enhances Mijin Gakure... (which already removes weakness, so the enhancement is just a free RR effect and full HP instead of partial HP on raise)

Empyrean:
Farsha? Could this really be useful for anything but BST master-only melee, which is pointless? And even that's prob worse than Aeonic axe (and maybe other non-RMEAs). Perhaps a different story back when pets sucked, but it seems totally obsolete now.

At least Redemption looks cool.

Aeonic:
I'd prob say Tishtrya, since even for the meleeWHM niche I can't imagine it being better than a mainhand Mjollnir or Gambanteinn (and WHM's JSE club DA+9 and massive acc should demolish it offhand). But, GEO can't use those... so I guess it has a melee GEO niche. That's pretty weak though!

It's really hard for me to pick between the four as the worst of the worst! Prob Tishtrya... no wait, Farsha... no... Nagi... AHHHH.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-25 14:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Farsha has dat MND for Reward bro.
[+]
By Taint 2018-01-25 14:55:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Excal isn't bad at all. The added effect stacks with Enlight now and I've used KoR many times for the refresh effect alone. Probably more middle of the pack for relics.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-01-25 15:01:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Farsha can be used by Warrior fencer build with shield+7% wsd. I wouldn't call it completely the worst. It also gives Warrior a magical ws option if something is resistant to physical (though they have tomahawk). I've seen a Farsha WAR on Asura and it's actually not that bad at all in terms of dps, considering all the fencer and wsd gear WAR gets to use with Mistral Axe/Calamity.

Nagi on the other hand is pretty bad. They tied a 45min-1hr ability enhancement to an ultimate weapon, meaning you get a free reraise once per hour. That's a pretty shitty incentive for a weapon that took you quite a bit of time to create.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2018-01-25 15:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

The enmity on Nagi is at least kinda neat. There are instances where I would have used it (even if only as a macro item) if I happened to have it in my inventory.

I'm pretty amazed that no one has mentioned Glanz.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-01-25 15:16:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Glanz has spikes. can't be the worst when you can pair it with abyssea buyable ex models for lockstylez
 Asura.Highwynn
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2018-01-25 15:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Excalibur was awesome on my RDM/NIN when I was soloing job points back in the day. Haste II, + Enspell + Temper II, Haste/DW and DA/TA gear = tons of attacks on ***. Because of the fast attacks, I had tons of procs on mainhand hits for like 600-700 damage, which was nice.
[+]
 Asura.Biglovin
user: Monko
By Asura.Biglovin 2018-01-25 15:40:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Dont rip on farsha, Sivard will see it and post his cloudsplitter pics that outdo most wars résolutions.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-01-25 15:40:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Farsha can be used by Warrior fencer build with shield+7% wsd. I wouldn't call it completely the worst. It also gives Warrior a magical ws option if something is resistant to physical (though they have tomahawk). I've seen a Farsha WAR on Asura and it's actually not that bad at all in terms of dps, considering all the fencer and wsd gear WAR gets to use with Mistral Axe/Calamity.
It doesn't really give war that option they already do have it. I've seen it be not terrible but if going that route wouldn't it be better to use something like raetic or Barbarity?
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-01-25 18:21:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Biglovin said: »
Dont rip on farsha, Sivard will see it and post his cloudsplitter pics that outdo most wars résolutions.

LOL fair enough! Sivard BST shenanigans are probably a major exception from the general rule though. I've seen so few Farsha in the wild though, that I guess it's mostly speculation on my part. In the hands of an expert Fencer WAR or strong BST, maybe there's something there.

Asura.Highwynn said: »
Excalibur was awesome on my RDM/NIN when I was soloing job points back in the day. Haste II, + Enspell + Temper II, Haste/DW and DA/TA gear = tons of attacks on ***. Because of the fast attacks, I had tons of procs on mainhand hits for like 600-700 damage, which was nice.

That can't possibly be better than an Almace ODT if you're just using for offense though, right? Though, to be fair, I'll admit that doesn't mean Excalibur is necessarily bad, just that it's not as good as Almace (or probably Sequence). So I get that it's still one of the top handful of good offensive RDM PLD options, even if it's not #1.

And Claustrum exists, so I'm fine making that my pick from the relic category anyway.

Nagi on the other hand is pretty bad. They tied a 45min-1hr ability enhancement to an ultimate weapon, meaning you get a free reraise once per hour. That's a pretty shitty incentive for a weapon that took you quite a bit of time to create.

It's even more glaring when compared to some of the truly incredible enhance effects on other Mythics.

Many are downright spectacular for key aspects of the job:
- Yagrush AoE spells
- Burtgang enmity retention (AND PDT II -18%)
- Epeolatry's PDT II -25%
- Carn major song duration+
- Aymur Sic/Ready buff
- Nirvana being Nirvana
- Vajra large buff to SA/TA damage (regardless of whether the weapon is amazing overall, that's clearly a very nice weapon-specific perk)
- Tizona at least situationally being a game-changer for MP management
- Pet jobs' OA2-3x AM applies to the pets (pretty huge for BST and PUP in particular)

Others are at least a significant neat addition that's undeniably of some value:
- Conquerer's boosts to Berserk Atk and Crit rate
- Some nice-to-have but not game-changing buffs with weapons like Gastra, Ryuno, and Death Penalty improving regularly used offensive JAs like Barrage/Jumps/Quick Draw, Epeolatry making Liement an AoE ability, or Murgleis boosting Convert
- Quirky changes to frequently used abilities like Terp adding more finishing maneuvers to steps, or Kenkonken making it near impossible to Overload (in addition to a massive Martial Arts buff which is sometimes useless, but when not getting sufficient buffs is amazing for offense).
- Even something mediocre like Glanz added a JA enhancement that you can't argue isn't a positive, with a frequently used offensive JA in Focus gaining additional Acc/Atk/Crit rate (which was laughably nerfed in the Aug 2017 MNK update that reduced Focus uptime and gave away Glanz's unique crit rate buff to Focus for ALL weapons, but I digress...)

And what does NIN get from Nagi, you ask?
YOU CAN EXPLODE ONCE EVERY 45~60 MINUTES AND NOT NEED TO HAVE RR ON OR A PERSON TO RAISE YOU.

Are you freaking kidding me? Feels like straight up trolling when compared to the vast utility benefits granted by other Mythics. Was it a reflection of the TOAU-era dev team being kind of bitter about NIN's popularity (and the unexpected ways that players were using the job) at the time and giving it something weak out of spite?

And you know, they COULD make Nagi useful by revising it to give some job-specific enhancement on the level of some of the other game changer Mythics. Want to make it the ultimate defensive/tanking weapon - how about making a single (or even a couple) Utsusemi shadows absorb AoE magic, or at least slap some DT II on there like PLD and RUN get? Or maybe at least not troll the players, and give them some buff to JAs like Innin/Yonin. Give Innin some sort of offensive buffs like significant additional crit dmg and WSD, and Yonin some serious defense with DT-/Meva/MDB?

But no. YOU CAN BLOW YOURSELF UP ON SP TIMER AND SAVE YOURSELF A RR ITEM OR MAGE CASTING A RAISE SPELL ON YOU. Let that truly sink in.

Yeah, Nagi is my pick for worst RMEA.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-01-25 18:33:28
Link | Quote | Reply

COR, GEO, NINx4 for incredible shena-mijins (or she-nagi-ans?) where the four NINs blow up, get up, receive WC and then blow up again, only to get up and continue fighting?

Why has no one brought up Mandau? It isn't even acceptable as an off-hand.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-01-25 18:37:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
COR, GEO, NINx4 for incredible shena-mijins (or she-nagi-ans?) where the four NINs blow up, get up, receive WC and then blow up again, only to get up and continue fighting?

For literally DOZENS of damage per Mijin!
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2018-01-25 18:39:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »

For literally DOZENS of damage per Mijin!

Their power level is over... A DOZEN!!!
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-25 18:58:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Why has no one brought up Mandau? It isn't even acceptable as an off-hand.

Because Mandau is loved as most of our first relic, even if we don't currently use it, it's never to be disrespected.
[+]
First Page 2