Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition
Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition
First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 55 56 57
By Nausi 2018-01-22 23:25:33
Link | Quote | Reply

They aren't incompetent, they we're (likely) caught off guard by a president that fights back instead of one that just sits back and takes their bullying.

The public does not like policies that favor more illegal immigration. Washington likes to pretend that isn't so and they like to tell everyone that, but it just isn't true.
[+]
By Viciouss 2018-01-22 23:37:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski deserve the credit for bringing the Senate together just to reopen the gov't, no concessions were made. Trump did nothing but shout really loud at the GOP to nuke the filibuster, which was completely ignored.
I also liked how Ted Cruz tried to come out and say he has "always" opposed shutdowns, even the Republicans were laughing at that whopper.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-22 23:41:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Viciouss said: »
Seems like a test run, I'm guessing the shutdown next month will be a lot longer. I actually think the Senate can pass a DACA fix, the House is the problem, Paul Ryan will have to ignore the tea party.

If the "test run" has millions of Democrats livid at Schumer, I'd love to see what a "real" shutdown would do for him and his Senate buddies.

I'd bet anything that they would overcompensate, demand way too much, and come out looking even worse than they do now.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2018-01-22 23:54:53
Link | Quote | Reply

sorry for posting a pic that contained the F word. mods thank you for your service.

My deleted post said

Quote:
"What was the point of shutting down the government if a verbal promise to vote on DACA was the best you were gonna settle for.

What literally is the f**king point in being the opposition party in a Republican controlled government where the president is highly unpopular and the Congress is so divided they need your votes to pass a necessary appropriation bill and you can’t even eke out one political concession to resolve a problem created by the president in the first place

After which I said "because dems are incompetent."
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2018-01-23 00:32:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
If the "test run" has millions of Democrats livid at Schumer, I'd love to see what a "real" shutdown would do for him and his Senate buddies.

-The Onion, of course.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2018-01-23 07:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If the "test run" has millions of Democrats livid at Schumer,

Trying to figure out why they weren't livid first.

Full disclose, I only became a Dem in the past two years for the purpose of voting in the primary. I registered as Republican in high school because I lived in rural *** nowhere and Ike Eisenhower was still what Republicans were to us there, Regan was still the new kid on the block*.

That said, I'll probably either go back to Republican or switch to independent. The DNC is ***. I was only ever "with her" because I wasn't "with him," and frankly at this point I don't think it would have made any difference. Neither was fit for office, imo. Hell, Bernie probably wasn't either if we're being honest.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and dislike change.

*Video related:
YouTube Video Placeholder
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-23 09:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »
Zerowone said: »
So like when is Nunes going to release his lolmemo?
When the process finish's, they've already begun it. It's currently classified so kinda need to declassify it, and everything involving congress takes forever. The President ~could~ declassify it instantly but then Dems would lose their ***about him getting involved.
They not only need to declassify the memo, they admit they need to declassify some of the underlying intel that it is based on.

Remember, the memo was written by a subset of the republican side of the intel committee. Something the dems will be sure to point out.
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-23 09:59:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
When the process finish's, they've already begun it. It's currently classified so kinda need to declassify it, and everything involving congress takes forever. The President ~could~ declassify it instantly but then Dems would lose their ***about him getting involved.
They not only need to declassify the memo, they admit they need to declassify some of the underlying intel that it is based on.

Remember, the memo was written by a subset of the republican side of the intel committee. Something the dems will be sure to point out.

It wasn't written by the committee, they are a bunch of old incompetent idiots who couldn't write themselves a shopping list. This was an internal investigation ordered by congress of the FBI's handling of FISA warrants, it was written by the justice department. The democrats didn't want it investigated at all but they aren't able to stop it as that would look extremely bad all things considering.

The central question is, was the Steele dossier, funded by the DNC as anti-trump campaign material, used as source justification for collecting intel on a Presidential candidate? Did the FBI, at the time of the request, know the Steele dossier was funded as such and did they misrepresent it to a federal FISA judge? What are the FBI's policies and practices regarding FISA warrants and source material?

These are questions of how a government office in the executive branch works. Due to their nature much of the information surrounded the answer would be classified and thus needs to be declassified or redacted prior to public release. I'm very interested in the answers.
By fonewear 2018-01-23 10:07:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks like the Russians hacked our profile pictures.
By Zerowone 2018-01-23 10:29:20
Link | Quote | Reply

fonewear said: »

All the pictures. Except yours and mine...hey maybe we’re the Russians.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-01-23 11:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello comrades
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-23 12:18:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Seems like a test run, I'm guessing the shutdown next month will be a lot longer. I actually think the Senate can pass a DACA fix, the House is the problem, Paul Ryan will have to ignore the tea party.

I'd bet anything that they would overcompensate, demand way too much, and come out looking even worse than they do now.

Given Schumer's rhetoric today, he's already set off on a quest to prove me right.
By Viciouss 2018-01-23 12:20:38
Link | Quote | Reply

And given Scalise's rhetoric, its easy to see why the gov't was shutdown.
By Nausi 2018-01-23 12:23:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Given Schumer's rhetoric today, he's already set off on a quest to prove me right.
Yeah dude, what is he doing? Capitulating to his rabid base today, and hope they just forget in 3 weeks?

Its gonna be funny when dems try running through the brick wall again.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-01-23 12:26:41
Link | Quote | Reply

clearlyamule said: »

Hello comrades

I trust you have the nuclear weapons I sent you ? I mean the Russian vodka...wait not the nuclear weapons.
By clearlyamule 2018-01-23 12:47:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Hello comrades

I trust you have the nuclear weapons I sent you ? I mean the Russian vodka...wait not the nuclear weapons.
Those toys? Psh I've already built better
By Ramyrez 2018-01-23 12:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Those toys? Psh I've already built better

*snickers*

He thinks he gave us the good stuff!
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-23 13:28:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It wasn't written by the committee, they are a bunch of old incompetent idiots who couldn't write themselves a shopping list. This was an internal investigation ordered by congress of the FBI's handling of FISA warrants, it was written by the justice department. The democrats didn't want it investigated at all but they aren't able to stop it as that would look extremely bad all things considering.

The central question is, was the Steele dossier, funded by the DNC as anti-trump campaign material, used as source justification for collecting intel on a Presidential candidate? Did the FBI, at the time of the request, know the Steele dossier was funded as such and did they misrepresent it to a federal FISA judge? What are the FBI's policies and practices regarding FISA warrants and source material?

These are questions of how a government office in the executive branch works. Due to their nature much of the information surrounded the answer would be classified and thus needs to be declassified or redacted prior to public release. I'm very interested in the answers.
Sorry Saevel but ....

Quote:
Top House Republicans are considering publicly releasing some of the underlying intelligence behind a memo spearheaded by Rep. Devin Nunes that alleges FBI abuses of surveillance laws.
Nunes, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, met with Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte and Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy while the House was in session during the shutdown this weekend to discuss the prospect of releasing some of the intelligence to support the findings of the classified memo, which was prepared by Nunes and Republican committee staff, multiple Republican lawmakers told CNN.
From: GOP considers releasing intel behind memo alleging FISA abuses
CNN

Although I do agree with your "they are a bunch of old incompetent idiots who couldn't write themselves a shopping list" That is why they have staffers.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-23 15:28:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh this just gets better and better Saevel.

House GOP won't show secret Russia memo to Justice Department

Claiming abuses by Justice Department and FBI officials, Republicans say they should not be shown the document.

Politico

Quote:
House Republicans have refused to share with the Justice Department a secret memo alleging misconduct by federal officials investigating the 2016 Trump campaign’s Russia ties, even as they build a case that President Donald Trump should authorize the memo's public release.

An official at the Justice Department, helmed by Attorney General Jeff Sessions and his deputy Rod Rosenstein, confirmed to POLITICO on Monday that the department has requested access to the classified document but has not been able to see it. The FBI, too, has been denied access to the document.

Sources familiar with the memo, which was compiled by aides to House Intelligence Committee chairman Devin Nunes, say it claims that senior FBI officials abused a secret surveillance program, commonly known as FISA, to target the Trump campaign last fall....
By fonewear 2018-01-23 15:32:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Something something Republicans evil something something. Yawn.
[+]
By Viciouss 2018-01-23 15:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess Nunes is just going to keep his allegations to himself then?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2018-01-23 15:37:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Vic is always so quick with Rachel Maddows's talking points.
[+]
By Viciouss 2018-01-23 15:40:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Aman is always so dumb.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-23 16:40:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Such comeback. Many wit. Wow.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-23 16:51:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Something something Republicans evil something something. Yawn.
No Fone, its something something Republicans hilarious have some popcorn.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-23 17:43:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Although I do agree with your "they are a bunch of old incompetent idiots who couldn't write themselves a shopping list" That is why they have staffers.

Read it very carefully instead of just copy pasting and listenign to the person on TV.

Quote:
the classified memo, which was prepared by Nunes and Republican committee staff,

The memo is about the investigation. The investigation was done by the FBI & DOJ at the behest of the Intelligence committee.

Congressional committee's just stand around talking all day they are incapable of doing investigations, only ordering them. If you had been paying attention you'd remember all the talk about the FBI "stonewalling" congress about investigations into how it handled the Steele dossier.

But like fone said, something something Republicans bad, something something.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-23 17:59:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Read it very carefully instead of just copy pasting and listenign to the person on TV.
I never watch TV. Its hard to copy and paste from TV.

Quote:
Quote:
the classified memo, which was prepared by Nunes and Republican committee staff,

The memo is about the investigation. The investigation was done by the FBI & DOJ at the behest of the Intelligence committee.

Congressional committee's just stand around talking all day they are incapable of doing investigations, only ordering them. If you had been paying attention you'd remember all the talk about the FBI "stonewalling" congress about investigations into how it handled the Steele dossier.

But like fone said, something something Republicans bad, something something.
I beg your pardon. Congressional committees can and do investigate things. Its part of why they have subpoena powers. Of course politics almost always means they can't effectively investigate anything.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-23 18:15:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Congressional committees can and do investigate things.

Your using a different definition of "investigate". They just have people come up and answer questions. Everyone else use's investigate to mean going through documentation and digging around records for actual information. The GAO being the most notorious of the alphabet letter agencies for doing this.

But hey keep buying the party line of Democrats Good Republicans bad, see where it leads.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-23 19:10:37
Link | Quote | Reply

First Page 2 3 ... 35 36 37 ... 55 56 57