Free Campaign Isn't Actually Free...

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Free campaign isn't actually free...
Free campaign isn't actually free...
 Fenrir.Wynnia
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Wynnia
By Fenrir.Wynnia 2017-11-10 21:40:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
It's classic SE ineptitude, which almost nostalgic for me.

What if their goal was to make you so nostalgic for their ineptitude that you felt compelled to come back?
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2017-11-10 21:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Yup. In the same boat. Very SE like so I can't complain.
 Lakshmi.Igadget
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Igadget 2017-11-10 22:19:18
Link | Quote | Reply

A better tortured car analogy would be if you went to a used car lot that you have bought a lot of cars from previously and they told you to take any car you wanted out on a test drive for free but neglected to fill any of them with gas.

Even that is a bad analogy because providing the FFXI service to additional players costs SE almost nothing and there is virtually no risk. Free login campaigns are a marketing ploy designed to re-hook old players and this one is not making me want to come back because they flubbed the execution. The worst part is that they flubbed the execution in a way that preferentially affects their highest value returning customers.

well at least for me I can sell off some more of the voidwatch items that I have stashed for almost a year now which may or may not go up in price due to the Relic +2/+3 update so if I ever do come back I can get some progress made on my Carn.

PS, holy *** Lakshmi is even deadder than it was before I left, which is saying something.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-11-11 05:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Igadget said: »
PS, holy *** Lakshmi is even deadder than it was before I left, which is saying something.

Apparently Gene transferred his crew to Asura and Hammel/Diaboli/Vijara quit. I'm pretty sure that was half of the active server.
By Jetackuu 2017-11-11 07:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Really?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2017-11-11 07:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm exaggerating a little, but I think Hammel&Co were 7 characters and Gene&Co was up to ~8. It's only 15 characters, but I think they were at least 50% of the NA Aeonics on Lakshmi (aka 50% of our 2016/2017 endgame players.)
[+]
 Lakshmi.Igadget
By Lakshmi.Igadget 2017-11-16 07:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Igadget said: »

Apparently Gene transferred his crew to Asura and Hammel/Diaboli/Vijara quit. I'm pretty sure that was half of the active server.

Poor Gene. I'd rather quit permanently than transfer to that cancerous server. But yeah looks like all of old EJ save for Reddwarf are gone.
By Foxfire 2017-11-16 08:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Why'd you store all your endgame ***in wardrobes that cost extra money/are optional paid services

That's on you, SE fulfilled their part of the bargain by letting you get online without having to pay $12.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-16 09:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

While we're complaining, I have an account that once had 15 mules, so it has all 16 slots shown on the playonline website. Had 7 mules paid for, and 4 in use, so I had 3 paid slots remaining.

Made a new mule to transfer, went to transfer it and it took one of the 'free' slots so I couldn't transfer without paying for it despite having open slots I already paid for.

Stop defending SE for their ineptitude.
[+]
By Foxfire 2017-11-16 09:17:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
While we're complaining, I have an account that once had 15 mules, so it has all 16 slots shown on the playonline website. Had 7 mules paid for, and 4 in use, so I had 3 paid slots remaining.

Made a new mule to transfer, went to transfer it and it took one of the 'free' slots so I couldn't transfer without paying for it despite having open slots I already paid for.

No, this is clearly *** on their part, that's true, but I still stand by OP's problem being self inflicted lmao
[+]
By fonewear 2017-11-16 09:32:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

That sounds exactly how SE would do things.
By zaxtiss 2017-11-16 10:49:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm exaggerating a little, but I think Hammel&Co were 7 characters and Gene&Co was up to ~8. It's only 15 characters, but I think they were at least 50% of the NA Aeonics on Lakshmi (aka 50% of our 2016/2017 endgame players.)
andruil is still pretty alive and well an GTT is about to finish their first run of aeonics too.
 Odin.Gimpers
Server: Odin
user: Gimpers
By Odin.Gimpers 2017-11-16 13:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Foxfire said: »
No, this is clearly *** on their part, that's true, but I still stand by OP's problem being self inflicted lmao
Didn't the OP try to pay for wardrobe 3 & 4, but, couldn't without activating the full subscription? Not getting it all for free is fine. Not being able to pay for just the locked content is stupid.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-16 13:42:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Gimpers said: »
Didn't the OP try to pay for wardrobe 3 & 4, but, couldn't without activating the full subscription? Not getting it all for free is fine. Not being able to pay for just the locked content is stupid.
Kind of a package deal really. Pretty sure they put out long ago something to that effect
By Foxfire 2017-11-16 14:28:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Gimpers said: »
Okay, to illustrate my point - when steam makes a free weekend for a game, you can't just buy the dlc. You need to buy the game, in order to buy the dlc (or redeem it to your account).

Something similar applies here. The optional services are extensions of your primary payment, and can only be enabled by having an active subscription (read: paid).

so we go back to my point
who the *** puts all their Good ***™ on wardrobe 3 and 4 instead of 1/2
By ltantonio 2017-11-16 16:38:42
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread is still going... wow.
People need to reread the OP. The poster just stated a fact. They said wardrobes are not included in the free trial and you can't pay for only wardrobes. They even ended the post with "Guess I'll start a new job!" showing there's no bitterness.
Yet people just went off on them. Seriously, everyone needs to relax. The OP did not ask for free wardrobes, nor did they ask for a free mythic or Ferrari. They just stated a fact for people who might not have known.
The truth is that anyone who thinks the OP is a whining baby is just projecting their own attitudes onto someone else. Whiners see the OP as a whining post. Everyone else says "thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have thought of that." You can look at the first 2 replies and you'll see exactly what I mean.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-11-16 16:46:46
Link | Quote | Reply

While the OP wasn't whiney... some of the following posters were
By Foxfire 2017-11-16 17:08:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm just trying to make jokes, man
[+]
By aeonova 2017-11-16 19:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I had let my account lapse because I thought, due to the timing, that I'd have a few days off and then come back with about 10 or 14 days freebie time.

Even after the campaign had started, it took me a few days to bother reviewing the instructions that I had read over well before to ensure I even could play. I have 4 accounts with 16, 5, 2, and 16 characters on each. I used to triple-box on Valefor. The fourth was a completely new fresh one on Asura since I wanted to get a feel before I paid 3x server jump fee.

Anyhoo, I read up. Felt my accounts were all in order. Waited.

Finally, decided to begin the process. Opened the relevant SE pages with the campaign directions and then my account management system page.

What a ****-load of ****. I still havn't figured out what I was missing, but every time I'd go through the process as stated, or at least as I understood, at the end, it wanted me to pay with a CC or Crysta. It was my understanding that you wouldn't have to pay at the reactivation.

The game PokeMMO just came out with a new "expansion" (Black1/White1) that I've been playing. I'll come back to FFXI. I always come back. However, I'm in no hurry.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
Server: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2017-11-16 20:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

aeonova, all you have to do is launch POL and login like you would normally do if you had a paid account to participate in the free campaign, that is if you met the requirements of being "inactive"

No need to get on the account management or anything
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2017-11-16 20:41:59
Link | Quote | Reply

The problem is that you let your accounts lapse. If you cancel your account before stopping rather than just letting crysta run out or something you would be able to do the free campaign. Letting lack of funds cancel you're account for you locks you out of the free campaign.
 Siren.Stunx
Server: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Stunx 2017-11-16 21:07:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Randomly decided to check up on ffxi related ***and read the liked comments... So cute to see people still take such pride in a dead game.
By Foxfire 2017-11-17 09:24:58
Link | Quote | Reply

wtf does that even mean stunx lmao
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-11-17 10:23:39
Link | Quote | Reply

A better tortured car analogy would be if you went to a used car lot that you have bought a lot of cars from previously and they told you to take any car you wanted out on a test drive for free but neglected to fill any of them with gas.

Even that is a bad analogy because providing the FFXI service to additional players costs SE almost nothing and there is virtually no risk. Free login campaigns are a marketing ploy designed to re-hook old players and this one is not making me want to come back because they flubbed the execution. The worst part is that they flubbed the execution in a way that preferentially affects their highest value returning customers.

For years you've always had a way of saying the most with less words. This is mainly what I was getting at when I said that it wasn't actually free for certain players. Now I went out and levelled PUP and just used holdover gear until the campaign ends/i decide to pay up, but the way they went about doing the campaign was really... idk...scummy?

It was 100% planned this way no doubt. I'm not upset, I just think the rotten way they went about delivering the campaign was somewhat deceptive, when it didn't need to be since it's no loss to them.

But thanks Byrth
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-11-17 10:35:02
Link | Quote | Reply

ltantonio said: »
This thread is still going... wow.
People need to reread the OP. The poster just stated a fact. They said wardrobes are not included in the free trial and you can't pay for only wardrobes. They even ended the post with "Guess I'll start a new job!" showing there's no bitterness.
Yet people just went off on them. Seriously, everyone needs to relax. The OP did not ask for free wardrobes, nor did they ask for a free mythic or Ferrari. They just stated a fact for people who might not have known.
The truth is that anyone who thinks the OP is a whining baby is just projecting their own attitudes onto someone else. Whiners see the OP as a whining post. Everyone else says "thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have thought of that." You can look at the first 2 replies and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Thanks. It was a heads up. While i do think the delivery was pretty scummy, whatever, it is what it is. I was willing to pay for the warddrobes, but went back and read the free campaign rules: paying for an account voids all free campaign eligibility.

I want you to understand what that means:
If I have 10 mules, they are all free for the campaign, plus my main. My wardrobe 3/4 is locked yes, but i get free access to my mules. It does suck because i can't really do much endgame content, but whatever. If I opt to pay for my account, I actually would have to reactivate every single mule as well to retain access to them. Whereas, if I just eat the loss, I suffer from not accessing 160 slots, but still have the ability to acquire login points etc on 11 characters.

All I'm saying is, the delivery is backwards, and glaringly shady/incompetent. People can say I'm a whiny complaining *** but words don't hurt me and that's their opinion. There are other players who have noticed the same shitty tactics, which are pretty underhanded if you ask me. I'm fine with not being able to access the wardrobes, but someone has to tell others that their 160 end game items are locked.

And for those of you who are saying "who puts their good ***in 3/4?", you clearly either play one job, have very few sets, or knew of this beforehand. I didn't, but others might not either, so I mentioned it. No harm no foul.
By Foxfire 2017-11-17 11:40:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Buuk I love ya I do but
1) I can log into all my inactive mules right now, and I am subbed
2)it wasn't "100% planned this way"; wardrobe 3&4 were scrapped together into the game in probably a very archaic way to comply with the optional service thing. refer to the comparison i made a few posts ago. I'm not defending the system being bad, but you gotta understand that half of these things are duct-taped together. It's an old game lol
3) it's not that I don't understand the necessity for wardrobe 3/4 but their argument was "all my good endgame gear" is on those two wardrobes. Why wouldn't you put them in the wardrobes that wouldn't be tied to the optional service? Just shove your "non endgame" or "not as good" gear into 3/4 instead. If your argument is "I have so much ***that I'm screwed anyway", then yeah I get you, I do

but this wasn't the case, lol

again you're playing this game for free for whatever amount of time we were granted with no restrictions in terms of gameplay. You can do ambuscade, Dynamis D, omen, etc, with no concern about being locked out of the latest thing

SE, regardless of their business practices, did what they advertised
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-11-17 11:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The point is that locking your gear behind the wardrobes is very anti-consumer. The idea is that once you pay for them and put things in them, you'll never stop paying for them. Forcing you to reactivate them just to get the gear is a bit draconian, especially if a customer is on a fixed budget or a teenager(unlikely in this game, but not impossible).

I don't object to them not providing the wardrobes on a free campaign, nor do I object to them requiring you to pay for your account to pay for wardrobes. If you've chosen to spend money on the game, the campaign accomplished what it wanted.. no need to give you the free days if you're coming back anyway.

However, not having any way to remove the gear from the wardrobes once they are no longer paid is insulting. You should not be able to equip, lockstyle(you can do this I believe), or add items to wardrobes once they are no longer paid for. However, you should be able to get your items back out.

This is a game where single items can have a profound impact, and the rare marker means that you don't even have the option of refarming some of them if you wanted to. You need to pay for the wardrobe or never again use that item.
[+]
By Foxfire 2017-11-17 11:56:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, you're totally right, but that's just not how they designed it and—honestly I wish y'all would—going to complain to SE devs could work. Good luck with that tho rly
That said, this is being dramatized a bit too much. They offered the free campaign to play, that much is true. Optional services are optional, they never will be free. If you really cared that much about "not ever being able to use the gear again" you'd probably be subbed. Following this reasoning, you'd probably be either a) willing to get/able to afford that extra wardrobe (it's a dollar? two?, come on) or b) dependent on that extra space, so you'd be paying for it regardless

Okay back to joookes
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-11-17 12:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Stunx said: »
dead game

Things scrubs say who couldn't cut it in todays ffxi~

Really cute your still on these forums too
[+]
By Justuas 2017-11-17 12:37:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Stunx said: »
Randomly decided to check up on ffxi related ***and read the liked comments... So cute to see people still take such pride in a dead game.
Nah it's just your server.
[+]