Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 357 358 359 ... 430 431 432
 Asura.Bynebill
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2023-03-22 13:57:04
Link | Quote | Reply

They mentioned master trials, though that could be the prime weapon content or they could still intend to turn some fights into master trials and serve it as content periodically.

My money is on the master trial fight being the prime weapon fight.
By Allego 2023-03-22 13:59:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Drumskull said: »
Additionally, we are working on replacing the backend hardware which supports FINAL FANTASY XI's ongoing operations. This may cause maintenance to take longer than usual for some version updates, and I'd like to ask for your understanding as this is necessary to ensure the long-term stability of operations.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?

I think this means that they will be introducing and replacing the hardware during the monthly updates - (when the servers are down).

I.E. It is an acceptable time to minimize downtime outside of monthly updates. However, they may require additional testing/time when installing the physical hardware. That's my understanding.
[+]
By SimonSes 2023-03-22 14:06:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Negan said: »
Horizon has it right, good job balance, same with XIV

Isn't BST like super OP on horizon?

It's also much easier to balance around exp parties than what we have in FFXI retail end game.
Bahamut.Justthetip said: »
This right here pretty much wins its for me and is semi same way I feel. Also I'll add to it before anemone says it no people aren't asking for these jobs to be op and ***it's just asking for updates and assistance in these jobs. Gotta be honest when was the last time PUP got updated with stuff for the pet itself. Same with smn hell smn gear has been the same for about 10 years?

Oh for sure update for some jobs would be really cool, but thats not only a desire coming from pet jobs. BLU, THF at least. It's something different what you are saying to what Mcdoogle says. You want updates, he wants pet jobs to be viable everywhere AS DPS, which just won't happen, because it would require giant overhaul, which this game won't get anymore probably.

Also if you make pet jobs like SMN or PUP even slightly behind normal standard meta composition then it will be OP, because pet jobs are so much safer. Unless you want BST treatment and you will be able to BP every 10 sec, but only if you want 5 yalms away from avatar :D (I would actually be happy about it, but I can see 95% of SMN players rage :P).

Asura.Mcdoogle said: »
My big question is if you weren't forced to have job diversity with Ody, would you still want pet jobs/DD mages?

This ultimately doesn't matter. The end goal is to use them and play them. Reason doesn't matter. Unless you want people who doesn't use them to like them? Because for people who like them (pet jobs) already it shouldn't matter why they can play it in end game.

It's great that BST can TP reset and has ooze but would we even think about using it as a debuffer if GEO wasn't nerfed?

Ofc. GEO cant TP reset, cant take away 10% HP. Tbh I don't see where BST replace GEO as a buffer/debuffer? Even at Ongo you don't use BST over GEO. Neither in Sortie. Am I missing something?

SMN is in a ***place, lets be honest here, outside of niche TP reset and hate reset. 20 seconds on a BP timer is horrible for both rage/ward and you can't even use Apogee in new content because of the halfbaked wall.

I dont think it's in shitty place at all. If you use different pet for BP ward and BP rage you don't feel BP timer that much. You can use Apogee to give buffs to party. Again you seems to only care about DPS coming from those jobs. I think Papesse used SMN for majority of content in past several years and was able to make it work for a lot of things. If you are good at it and you are open minded about it, then you will make it shine. You can also now just melee DD on SMN with all the gear we got recently, but probably purist will say it's not an experience they are looking in playing pet job (same as BSTs after SE changed a concept for that job to be melee alongside it's pet, rather than command it from save spot). Oh well..

BST's pets don't get any master buffs but BST is expected by SE to melee along side their pet.

I think the concept for BST is Master to provide majority of DPS if you play in party with buffs, pet to provide majority of DPS if its old content that you can AoE and DPS to be kinda split and you take advantage of skillchain if it's soloable new content.

SMN avatars get no master magical/physical buffs when they're apart of ranged/magical strats.

Well, again it's not only about doing damage on pet jobs. Also what you expect could probably happen years ago, but not now. It's too big thing now for avatar to get buffed with master buffs. Wyvern got it, but Wyvern can barely do any damage, so it doesn't really matter offensive wise (avatars, auto or even pets with master buffs would need to be rebalanced), it just gives Wyvern better survivability and that's fair too, because you can resummon wyvern as easily as avatar or automaton. Call beast should definitely be reduced to 60sec cooldown though.
PUP automatons get nothing when they're apart of turtle tank strats or want to melee along side their automaton or want their automaton to MB with mages.

This is not entirely true. Melee automatons can do pretty solid damage alongside master. Especially with Kenkonken AM3.

The MB wall is pure trash until they implement the dyna WS wall on all content, and you'll never change my opinion on that.

It's not MB wall, but magic wall in general and it's not nearly as strong as people make it to be. Many nukes now hits for 99k+, so they are still at capped damage or close even while being reduced and 30% reduction isn't THAT gamebreaking to make magic/MB strat valid or not. Many use-cases for BLM wouldn't change without MB wall and there wouldn't be many more use-cases either without MB wall.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-22 14:14:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Idiot Boy said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
My belief is that Matsui was very positive for the game overall, most of our complaints are relatively minor in the grand scheme f things. For once the various jobs are mostly balanced and the only real sore point is that there are only 2 sets of "content" worth doing, one strips a core game component away and the other is very mage heavy. Hopefully a third set of content comes out that is more melee friendly so we can get a triumvirate.
This is more or less my thought on the matter. He didn't have a great hand to play, but other than one really massive misstep (remember that Golden Week where people rioted because RMEs were getting deprecated?) he played it about as well as he could have.

Also, the "worst balance ever" bit is *** hilarious. I see someone didn't play a melee job prior to ToaU.

(Also, I know people are going to take this as an opportunity to throw more dirt on Tanaka's grave. He definitely made some mistakes, but don't forget that it's his vision that's ultimately lasted two decades as a subscription game. He got the big stuff right more than he got it wrong, too.)

The balance right now is pretty solid, both RDM and SCH can competitively main heal (provided they have access to subjobs) and it's been a blast healing on RDM/WHM and SCH/WHM. All the major DD's are very well balanced with each giving a different set of benefits. There just isn't currently "end game" content yet that lets us fully express this balance. I'm hopeful the next set will let us do this.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-03-22 14:19:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Master levels helped a lot of jobs in that regard
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-22 14:21:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Asura.Eiryl said: »
he took the role, he gets the blame. Good riddance.
Hard to disagree with this, he deserves to be getting the blame (even if in truth it wasn't really his fault, we'll never know it) because of the role he covered.

Regardless of that though, I'm not sure how many of the "bad" things that happened to FFXI ever since are truly to blame on him or if he simply couldn't have made anything better given the small instruments/budget SE insisted on presenting to his staff.

The only one who can entirely be blamed for that is Tanaka I think. Back when he was still there, FFXI was still in his prime and had full (or close to full) budget and attention from the high floors.
For Matsui instead we'll never be able to know how much he's to praise for what it could've been much worse without him, or to blame because he's been incompetent in not being able to make his voice strong enough as to force SE into deserving the FFXI project more funds.

Personally I think that, in spite of all the plentyful bad choices he took, it's quite a miracle he managed to complete SoA and even RoV which I personally truly loved.

My belief is that Matsui was very positive for the game overall, most of our complaints are relatively minor in the grand scheme f things. For once the various jobs are mostly balanced and the only real sore point is that there are only 2 sets of "content" worth doing, one strips a core game component away and the other is very mage heavy. Hopefully a third set of content comes out that is more melee friendly so we can get a triumvirate.

Imagine thinking melee is getting shafted after all the MEVA gear and everything else that the game has been for yearrrrssss.

Meanwhile, mages/pet jobs have been in the dumpster forever and outside of very few content for mages, they both still are...

but boohoo sortie comps are mage focused and not mewee focused

That is a weird way to interpret that.... as though players only one play one or something...

Currently there is two "end game" events, Odyssea and Sortie. Odyssea demands a wide variety of approach's, but due to no SJ everyone's new found flexibility is heavily restricted. Sortie allows us to explore all the new flexibility that Master Levels introduced but the content is extremely mage / caster orientated.

The ask is for the next event to allow melee's to stretch and experiment with the new abelites and tolls that Master Levels have granted them. For example, NIN/RUN is an epic level tank now, but there is nothing for them to tank as sortie favors RUN so much more.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-22 14:25:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

There are so many things I want to experiment with right now, just the current content doesn't really support them. I want to see setups that involved THF/DRG's stealing hate off other DD's then super jumping it away. Having a RDM/WHM healing a usual DD party while altering the buff selection. Using more BLU's or MNK's in various configurations. The extra SJ levels from Master Levels really expand what is possible now. Just Dynamis D is the only "content" that lets you experiment with these new choices, and it's kinda dated now.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Boposhopo
Server: Leviathan
user: Boposhopo
By Leviathan.Boposhopo 2023-03-22 14:42:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »

There are so many things I want to experiment with right now, just the current content doesn't really support them. I want to see setups that involved THF/DRG's stealing hate off other DD's then super jumping it away. Having a RDM/WHM healing a usual DD party while altering the buff selection. Using more BLU's or MNK's in various configurations. The extra SJ levels from Master Levels really expand what is possible now. Just Dynamis D is the only "content" that lets you experiment with these new choices, and it's kinda dated now.

I've done the enmity wiping to an extent in Dyna-D. DD caps hate on wave 3 boss, SCH caper's either a DRG or someone /DRG and super jump the hate away, works amazing.
[+]
By Rips 2023-03-22 14:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

You can tell that message was crafted... carefully.

They want to milk FFXI as long as they can "medium to long term." I guess he couldn't commit to the extra sentence of having plans in store for 2024.

If we do get Valhalla content, or whatever that is, that's about it, probably.

Happy this went as long as it did.
[+]
Administrator
Server: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2023-03-22 14:46:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Bahamut.Drumskull said: »
Additionally, we are working on replacing the backend hardware which supports FINAL FANTASY XI's ongoing operations. This may cause maintenance to take longer than usual for some version updates, and I'd like to ask for your understanding as this is necessary to ensure the long-term stability of operations.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?
In order to reduce costs even further, they're swapping to crappier hardware on their end of things so patching the game will take longer. That probably won't affect us much (if we're not getting any new content), but it'll mean anyone running the game from a fresh install is going to take more time to patch.
(That's my understanding, anyway)

More likely it's the opposite; consolidating logical servers on to fewer physical servers (but newer, beefier ones) mean lower maintenance costs and don't necessarily degrade performance (and may improve it!)

Also, patch speed is a function of network bandwidth. No hardware produced since the Obama administration is going to throttle download speeds more than the actual network pipe will.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-03-22 14:47:25
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been playing since NA day 1(2 it took a full day to install) and RL has not let me play continuously so I have had many forced breaks. The things I really like about this game is that I do miss it and when I come back, it is better than it has ever been. There are parts of Eras I miss, but I'd rather play today than go back as far as jobs are concerned.

The announcement does sound like a coffin nail on one hand and mild hope on the other. Pretty standard for FFXI. Switching out Hardware means they could choose to do proactive things that could increase the longevity of the game. On the other hand, if it's full maintenance mode and we never get to play with jobs with Mastery Levels in a meaningful way, then this game will rot from the inside.

I think we all hope there is enough life in this game that we could take another break and come back to new surprises. But if it's not true, then all things come to an end and at least this one was fun for a long while.
 Odin.Danial
Server: Odin
By Odin.Danial 2023-03-22 14:48:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Now if only the subscription cost would reflect a game in maintenance mode! Though I suppose making it free or cheap might lead to an influx of players beyond what the servers can handle, so meh.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-03-22 14:50:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Stayfresh said: »
Someone have chatGPT make post about how awful FFXI is and how to balance it properly.

As an AI language model, I cannot provide opinions on video games or any other subjective matter. However, I can provide you with some general information about Final Fantasy XI.

Final Fantasy XI is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) that was released in 2002. The game has gone through many changes and updates over the years, with the latest expansion being released in 2015. Like any long-running online game, Final Fantasy XI has had its fair share of issues and criticisms over the years, but it has also developed a dedicated fanbase that enjoys the game's unique world and gameplay.

Some of the criticisms of Final Fantasy XI include its steep learning curve, slow pacing, and somewhat dated graphics. However, fans of the game argue that these elements are part of its charm and contribute to the game's immersive world and challenging gameplay.

Overall, whether or not Final Fantasy XI is "bad" is subjective and depends on personal preferences. While the game may not be for everyone, it has developed a dedicated fanbase that enjoys its unique features and gameplay mechanics.

Balancing jobs in a game like Final Fantasy XI is a complex task that involves many factors. Here are some general tips that could help balance the game's jobs:

Evaluate Job Abilities: One of the key factors in balancing jobs is to evaluate their abilities and make sure that each job has a unique role to play in the game. Developers can examine the strengths and weaknesses of each job and adjust their abilities to ensure that they are not overpowered or underpowered.

Focus on Player Feedback: Developers can gather feedback from players to understand how they feel about the different jobs and make changes accordingly. This feedback can be obtained through surveys, social media, or other channels.

Create Synergy Between Jobs: Developers can also create synergy between different jobs by ensuring that each job complements the others in some way. This can be achieved through abilities or equipment that enhance the abilities of other jobs, making them more effective when working together.

Regularly Update and Patch: Regular updates and patches can be used to balance jobs by making adjustments to their abilities or equipment. These updates can be informed by player feedback or data on how different jobs are being used in the game.

Avoid Power Creep: Power creep is the gradual increase in the power level of characters, abilities, or items over time, which can make previously balanced jobs seem weak. Developers can avoid power creep by carefully balancing new additions to the game and ensuring that they do not overshadow existing content.

Overall, balancing jobs in Final Fantasy XI is an ongoing process that requires careful consideration and a willingness to listen to feedback from the player community. With the right approach, it is possible to create a balanced and enjoyable gaming experience that keeps players engaged and coming back for more.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Server: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2023-03-22 15:27:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Also real discussions about balance in a 20 year old game when you can change jobs and subjobs is kind of odd. I get we all have a main or a soft spot for jobs, but it's hard for me to believe you don't play multiple jobs and that none of them are relevant since most of them are very playable.

In the same post I will say to also delete GEO because I'm a hypocrite.
By Rips 2023-03-22 15:38:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay. Let's settle it now.

Where are we all meeting on the final countdown? Port Jeuno? It's gotta be Jeuno somewhere. Ru'lude?
[+]
By Rips 2023-03-22 15:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

By the way, I noticed Draylo hasn't posted since this news broke.

Someone go do a health check on him please lol
[+]
 Bahamut.Galakar
Server: Bahamut
user: Galakar
By Bahamut.Galakar 2023-03-22 15:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Metalworks, next to the best female protagonist in this game - Ayame.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Stepth
Server: Lakshmi
user: Stepth
By Lakshmi.Stepth 2023-03-22 16:30:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Does this mean the Matsui-P trust will never come back? I've grown a bit fond of the little guy...
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2023-03-22 17:39:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Danial said: »
Now if only the subscription cost would reflect a game in maintenance mode

yep
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-03-22 17:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Stepth said: »
Does this mean the Matsui-P trust will never come back? I've grown a bit fond of the little guy...
On the contrary, maybe it means Cornelia for life :P
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-03-22 18:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Lakshmi.Stepth said: »
On the contrary, maybe it means Cornelia for life :P

If only we could all be so lucky.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-03-22 19:16:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe they'll introduce a Trust called Fujito-P.

He'll have a TP move called, "Lights On." And it'll give you 50 tic Regen/Refresh/Regain.

But then he'll have a spell called, "Lights Off." Casts it after 10 minutes of combat. Instantly KOs you and the mob.

Works on everything, oh, but it wipes Reraise as it kills you.
[+]
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2023-03-22 19:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lights out with a chance to proc the servers going offline permanently. You take out FFXIV servers as well if he double attack procs.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Meliorah
user: DatGoose
By Asura.Meliorah 2023-03-22 20:03:10
Link | Quote | Reply

fanfest in july will give a title and some information, also 10th anniversary of ARR release this year.
By Draylo 2023-03-22 20:35:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Rips said: »
By the way, I noticed Draylo hasn't posted since this news broke.

Someone go do a health check on him please lol

I'm perfectly fine lol, I'm preparing for a big month long trip to Europe and have been really busy and the "news" broke only less than a day. Truthfully most of us have seen this a while now due to how stupid SE has been acting as a company. I've been saying it on the forums for a while now, but they are horrible. I don't really blame Matsui because I really think he would have loved to continue the game and keeping it healthy with expansions and new content, he even said so in a recent interview when they asked what he would do with an unlimited budget. Maybe that is a big reason he decided to retire, he just knew SE wouldn't let them do almost anything. They were probably complaining about the tiny budget the game was already getting to do the most basic of things. The 20th anniversary "announcement" was the biggest slap in the face to wake up to how they were treating XI.

They are just really screwing themselves as a company, I really hope 16 fails and they just get a big wake up call. When all their games are failing left and right they are taking it out on some of the only games that have made them stable for a long time. I can't claim to know the numbers behind the profit the game has, but it cant be so tiny that they willingly throw it into maint mode when the average player would literally pay triple for a new boxed expansion for their 5 characters lol. Just another stupid move by SE as usual. They would rather dump millions into something like Forsaken than give any kind of stable budget to XI.

So realistically they will just continue to bleed players. I always kept telling people that quit every other month that one day they won't have something to return to and its more true than ever. All the dummies commenting in a smug manner, you aren't hurting anyone but yourselves because there was a reason you kept coming back around here. You still cared about the game and had interest in it, but a lot of yall were part of the driving force that also helped put the game where it is now.

What a shame because there is still a lot of potential for the game and where it could go. Admittedly I find myself not even caring about new games anymore. I don't know if its just getting older but I find myself going back to the games that I loved and especially this one. It's like they lost the soul for game making, its just another game they churn out. I find myself playing them once and barely touching them again, not even that excited for new stuff like RE4 or anything. I would rather play a new XI expansion... Oh well, in another timeline we are waiting for the expansion and excited and speculating on what new jobs or summons are coming.
[+]
By Minaras84 2023-03-22 22:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Im actually ok with the "cruise" mode really.
I was hoping for SE to adjust naegling but meh, whatever.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2023-03-23 02:11:38
Link | Quote | Reply

You should probably look at XII.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 357 358 359 ... 430 431 432