Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 178 179 180 ... 424 425 426
 Asura.Sechs
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-11-28 08:19:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Aside from serious lag/packetloss issues, I don't think Odyssey is as bad as some people want to make it look.
There's potential in Odyssey.
Granted it lacks some long term goal (other than MM) but that could be solved if they add new weapons that require a shitton of segment (or whatever else) with the next NM path patch.

My main issues with Odyssey are
1) It goes to extreme lenghts to promote solo play. I don't think this was their intention. I think they wanted to make a content that was good and efficient to do as a group, but that gave something cool to do even to solo players. In the end I think they didn't balance things out too well alas, it's extremely unefficient to do this as a group.

2) The KI system, "forces" you to log every *** day. Most people I know that run things with groups want to meet like once or twice a week and do several runs of a certain content all in a row.
You can't do that with Odyssey, max is 2x runs and only if you remembered to login and gather another KI in advance 24hrs before.
That's extremely inconvenient, why can't they make several KIs store up automatically like Omen? Would really change things.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-11-28 08:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

To compare with other things take Omen. It took them a few patches to balance things out, but you had a content that allowed group to tackle interesting foes, challenging at start even, and farm stuff for everyone (personal drop cards + drops from monsters). It was fun.
Then they even allowed alliances to enter, and gave something to do for soloers too (farm cards on your own, farm detritus alone).

That was pretty good balance. Maybe not perfect but pretty good.
Compared that to Odyssey and see how Odyssey could've been very good for everyone but atm it's totally not, alas.

The problem here is not much with the fact they did something wrong, I've got no issue with that.
The problem here is that they're doing absolutely nothing to make things better.
Do they acknowledge something is wrong? Do they think everything is perfectly as they meant it to be?
Do they even care or check how the community make use of their content? I dunno...
By Pantafernando 2020-11-28 08:42:51
Link | Quote | Reply

They are just chewing more than what they can bite.

They started the year with the plan of making odyssey the grand content of the year. Then they promised the voracious surgence. Then they slightly started to revamp ambu bosses v1.

We can see now they should have focused on a single major goals instead planning too much and creating too less. Currently, just one new ambu v1, just 5 very short missions from TVR and odyssey with a feel like its incomplete.

EDIT: also creating the UNM gear augmenting, what, at least, they managed to be sucessful as all those gears now have an augment path.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-11-28 08:44:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think "feeling incomplete" is the main issue in Odyssey.
After all it *IS* incomplete and the last part is coming next month.
But, again, I feel like that's not the main issue at all.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 08:56:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Odyssey lacks a reason. It exists solely as a replacement for sparks.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
Server: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-11-28 09:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
Odyssey itself is great. Its fast

So *** fast you can bypass the entirety of the event and still reap the rewards!
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-11-28 09:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Odyssey lacks a reason. It exists solely as a replacement for sparks.

It would be true only if we had a major amount of people clearing adds then moving to goal.

But as its more lucrative to avoid fights, not so much.

Cash generated by seelling mats isnt exactly a replacement to sparks.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 09:24:24
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a way for a new player to make gil, disguised as an event. That just so happened to come out when sparks were nerfed.... That improves the strength of trusts as you go making it easier for new players to earn more gil...

On the nose.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-11-28 10:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If Odyssey didn't have dumb lag, discourage group play, cap it's KI storage at one a day, have monsters hit players for 1k through -50% DT, have a meaningless progression bar that only benefits trusts...

Then yeah, maybe it would be good content. But as it stands now, lol at calling it good content.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-11-28 11:32:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
If Odyssey didn't have dumb lag, discourage group play, cap it's KI storage at one a day, have monsters hit players for 1k through -50% DT, have a meaningless progression bar that only benefits trusts...

Then yeah, maybe it would be good content. But as it stands now, lol at calling it good content.

"Odyssey would be good if it was nothing like it currently is." LMAO
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-11-28 11:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lunafreya said: »

Seriously guys, what the hell are we talking about? How are people defending Odyssey as content? The concept and idea was cool, and it would have been fun if they fleshed it out early, but they dragged it along for way too long and the idea behind izzat and Moogle Mastery, though interesting, is dumb. The only thing the event dropped was materials which a solo player could just buy and skip everything. Or key.

I did the grind literally every day for several months, but then I had to admit that basically Eiryl was right; they can decide at any time to invalidate all of your Moogle Mastery progress, and they totally did by creating the segment point system. Now, the most optimal way to farm is in a group, and you'll get 3x as much segments with players than you would solo. So the lvl45 MM is largely irrelevant besides an ego goal. Also, when they get to the new boss area, they've clearly mentioned it would be high level content, so your MM would be meaningless there because you would be taking real players. Lastly, a new player would have to invest about 5 full months before they could get a high enough level of MM to get efficient segments solo (I can reach around 1800 on monk in Sheol C), so unless you were grinding Odyssey for months, you're so far behind that MM useless to you; you're better off using a group to get clears and caught up. Fam, that system is so screwed up in it's implementation that it's indefensible. And I'm very high on MM tiers, but just illustrating a point about how bad it is for these so called "solo" players. A mindless grind with nothing translatable into the rest of the game

You can slice it whichever way you like. Odyssey was a great idea, horrible implementation, and because of that and how long it took for them to get it delivered, players got burned out of the grind because certain elements made no sense. Now they can decide to extend MM the rest of the game which imo would be a huge bonus and would make the content worth it. But until then, the rewards don't match the grind.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-11-28 12:12:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh no I completely agree, I just thought the comment was hilarious. Basically saying for it to be good it has to be exactly what it isn't currently, which is accurate.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-11-28 12:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

That was the point, yes, lmao.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 12:16:59
Link | Quote | Reply

It's like all fine except for lack of purpose. There's no reason to do it. There's no new 1% body or 1DPS drop or trust level +1 (outside).

Mob place/type is fine. Drop rate is fine. ilevel is "fine". Multi-floor, new mechanic (invisible mobs) all fine.

You can get 10 things right and one thing wrong and it's a total failure. It's like the loading bar is 99% and no matter how long you stare it'll never finish.

Look at meeble burrows, objectively bad content, but at the end there's bosses that drop stuff. You still get worms that you can trade for "junk" and it has in-event rewards. But without drops, no one would've done it.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-11-28 12:19:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh no I completely agree, I just thought the comment was hilarious. Basically saying for it to be good it has to be exactly what it isn't currently, which is accurate.

I agreed with your point. My first statement was not directed at you
[+]
By Aerix 2020-11-28 12:44:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Now, the most optimal way to farm is in a group, and you'll get 3x as much segments with players than you would solo. So the lvl45 MM is largely irrelevant besides an ego goal.

I haven't been keeping track of Odyssey lately, but when did group farming become better? Last time I read discussion about this people were saying the exchange ratio was bad and key farming was still preferable for mats.
By Taint 2020-11-28 12:50:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »
Now, the most optimal way to farm is in a group, and you'll get 3x as much segments with players than you would solo. So the lvl45 MM is largely irrelevant besides an ego goal.

I haven't been keeping track of Odyssey lately, but when did group farming become better? Last time I read discussion about this people were saying the exchange ratio was bad and key farming was still preferable for mats.

For gil solo is definitely best. For MM (and points) groups will net more per run.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-11-28 12:51:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Group would net you more segments in preparation for the new buyable things. ....5 years from now when it comes out.
By SimonSes 2020-11-28 13:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Aerix said: »

He means to farm segments for future rewards that they plan to add, completely ignoring scales/hides/wings.

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's like all fine except for lack of purpose. There's no reason to do it. There's no new 1% body or 1DPS drop or trust level +1 (outside).

Mob place/type is fine. Drop rate is fine. ilevel is "fine". Multi-floor, new mechanic (invisible mobs) all fine.

You can get 10 things right and one thing wrong and it's a total failure. It's like the loading bar is 99% and no matter how long you stare it'll never finish.

Yeah and with segments, they might give it purpose. Just make some ex rewards from it and its done.

So the lvl45 MM is largely irrelevant besides an ego goal. Also, when they get to the new boss area, they've clearly mentioned it would be high level content, so your MM would be meaningless there because you would be taking real players.

You dont know that. 45MM rank might actually be what will make trust enough there instead of real players. Afaik ArkEE has -40%DT with 45MM and massive meva.

Lastly, a new player would have to invest about 5 full months before they could get a high enough level of MM to get efficient segments solo (I can reach around 1800 on monk in Sheol C), so unless you were grinding Odyssey for months, you're so far behind that MM useless to you

This is nothing new. Afaik you need 42 days on new char to even finish RoE and go beyond Sheol A. You need 6 months of grind to get coallitions for Ergons. You need 1 year to get Monberaux etc.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
By SimonSes 2020-11-28 13:33:13
Link | Quote | Reply

endxen said: »
Problem with MM45 Trusts is they are still dumb as ***. They really need to tweak the AI of trusts...

Some trusts for sure, but most of them are fine if you dont try to intentionally play against their weakness.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-11-28 13:59:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought Meeble Burrows were pretty fun, actually. I wish I had been around when people were actively doing it. Though the progression for gears sounds like it would have been quite slow back then.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-11-28 14:22:42
Link | Quote | Reply

SimonSes said: »
You dont know that. 45MM rank might actually be what will make trust enough there instead of real players. Afaik ArkEE has -40%DT with 45MM and massive meva.

That point is largely irrelevant because no trust is going to be better than having real players. Why would you take a MM45 Trust if you have access to real players? They are sturdy but the tanks can't hold hate which is what ultimately matters, because if YOU pull hate and die, it's game over. They also get bogged down with commands that conflict with each other, MM45 doesn't fix that. It's good for them to stay alive, but I highly doubt they would release high level content with MM45 in mind, because most people who have that high can't do it solo anyways.
By SimonSes 2020-11-28 14:48:54
Link | Quote | Reply

because if YOU pull hate and die, it's game over. They also get bogged down with commands that conflict with each other, MM45 doesn't fix that.

You wont pull hate unless you try to zerg it. Trust tanks keeps hate very well in high ilvl content, because hate from doing damage is highly nerfed there.

Why would you take a MM45 Trust, if you have access to real players?

For the same reason you use trust in other scenarios? Except with MM45 they are even better, than outside. Idk do I really need to point the obvious and start listing things like
- because you want to play solo
- because you dont have access to other players
- because you dont have much time to play and you prefer to jump in for 30min, do it and logoff
- because you want to chellange yourself
etc.
 Cerberus.Aerandir
Server: Cerberus
user: aerandir
By Cerberus.Aerandir 2020-11-28 15:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

You know... all they have to do is bring Cornelia back with MM45 as the requirement and Odyssey is going to be called content of the year
[+]
By Taint 2020-11-28 15:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Aerandir said: »
You know... all they have to do is bring Cornelia back with MM45 as the requirement and Odyssey is going to be called content of the year

100% Agree. I said that a few months ago, it would make MM45 actually worth the grind.

Edit:
The Odyssey - || Strategy and Discussion ||
By Taint on 2020-08-27 16:18:10
FFXI ยป Odyssey
SE will troll us all:

MM45 unlocks Cornelia Trust.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2020-11-28 15:23:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Taint said: »
MM45 unlocks Cornelia Trust.

Calm down, Satan, they might be listening
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-11-28 15:33:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The way SE's braindead thoughts work is that they'll unlock Cornelia with MM45, but inside Odyssey only.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-11-28 16:56:08
Link | Quote | Reply

People out here really defending odyssey as if its meaningful content

Joking aside you can bypass this whole event and reap the rewards without even hitting MM1.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-11-28 17:01:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
People out here really defending odyssey as if its meaningful content

Joking aside you can bypass this whole event and reap the rewards without even hitting MM1.

You can do it too with almost any content in the game with Merc. You are totally focused on reward, instead of enjoying the game.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 178 179 180 ... 424 425 426