By RadialArcana 2020-05-18 04:59:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks better but she still looks off, all the faces do >.>

The artists normally does pokemon it seems

http://mitsuhiroarita.com/category/gllery/
[+]
By Draylo 2020-05-18 05:14:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That carbuncle looks like a child did it.. jeeze.
 Asura.Aeonova
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-05-18 05:49:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Sechs said: »
Do I see a male AA EV there? Or is it just me?

Virtue signalling creeps into SquareEnix by way of transgendered Ark Angel Elvaan. It's all about "diversity" now. Gotta have your token trans in your fantasy game about swords, dragons, and magic.

[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Server: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-05-18 06:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

ya that wallpaper looks like trash unfortunately. =/
By RadialArcana 2020-05-18 06:12:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I bet they paid a lot of money for those to be made too.

They just need to do art competitions, another mmo I play does that often and they get some great artwork.
By Draylo 2020-05-18 06:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Probably got a huge paycheck and was like here daughter, sketch this blue fox thing for me.
By ksoze 2020-05-18 06:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
They just need to do art competitions, another mmo I play does that often and they get some great artwork.

And you can always pm me for adding some extra boobs
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-05-18 06:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Aladeus said: »
ya that wallpaper looks like trash unfortunately. =/
It looks good to me! I Love it!
It's just that some things are wrong or borderline wrong.

Other than that I love the art direction/design, personally.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-05-18 06:18:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I like the wallpaper, I have it as my desktop image now but without the 18 anni logo
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-05-18 06:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

The artwork itself is great ofc but because the characters mean so much to many of us them not looking correct is annoying.
By Pantafernando 2020-05-18 06:51:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Its quite good, imo.

Whats it? Ark Angel vs a random pick up ally with SMN, WHM, BST, DRG, COR and SAM.

Seems like those yells with <Any job is welcomed>, everyone comes DD and someone else mules is their WHM. At least the SMN can still conduit the Ark Angels.

EDIT: and a NIN. Probably for tanking
[+]
By Pantafernando 2020-05-18 06:56:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Whos the artist that makes the game and expansions covers?

He could be the artist. His art is kinda different than the game itself but its quite unique characteristic
 Shiva.Xelltrix
Server: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-05-18 08:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty good artwork to me, FF artwork usually looks drastically different from the in-game appearances since it's generally concept art. This one is a lot closer to in-game than most, though AATT and AAHM kind of blended in to the other AAs for me at fist and I couldn't see them at all lol.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-05-18 08:47:19
Link | Quote | Reply

RadialArcana said: »
I bet they paid a lot of money for those to be made too.

I've always been surprised they don't do more of that, seems like doing a competition giving away a free year of FFXI and some glamour in-game item would be a helluva lot cheaper than paying employed artists.

Then again, there's probably a ton of copyright issues that bringing in non-contracted artists when dealing with copyrighted images that I'm not thinking about.
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-05-18 09:56:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »

He could be the artist. His art is kinda different than the game itself but its quite unique characteristic

it doesn't look like an Amano at all and it literally has the artist's name at the bottom
By RadialArcana 2020-05-18 15:22:10
Link | Quote | Reply

https://hardcoregamer.com/2020/05/16/discussing-18-years-of-success-with-final-fantasy-xi-developers/378347/

Quote:
[Hardcore Gamer] Let’s travel back in time to 2002. What was it like launching an MMO on PC and PS2 in that time period? Looking back, was there anything you would have changed about the process?

[Yoji Fujito] Back then, everyone — including developers and players — were not as familiar with the internet as we are now. It was already interesting that we had this new internet infrastructure with which people could exchange information on. On top of that, we had FFXI making its entrance as a game with its own story, world and themes — all of this combined felt like an important event, even for me on a personal level.

Looking back today, there isn’t anything I completely regret, or anything I think on and wonder if I could have done it. On the contrary, I want to pat myself on the back for getting through it.

[Akihiko Matsui] First and foremost, let me explain how the development team was originally formed. It was actually three teams that were originally developing titles for the PlayStation who were brought together to develop FFXI. Even when we transitioned from creating Super Nintendo games to PlayStation games, the number of staff on each team grew drastically; but with the FFXI team we had three times that number.

Having so many people on the team was one of the reasons why the development was challenging, and I also remember it was difficult to exchange and align our views since each team had its unique development culture. Ultimately, most of the members from the Mana series team — which I was a part of — left the FFXI team for other projects, and most of the new designers ended up coming from the Chrono Cross team. Looking back, I wish we had communicated a little better amongst the staff, including talking about personal matters, too.

---

Final Fantasy, at the time, was entering a brand-new era with the release of PS2. Final Fantasy X’s 3D environments, voice acting and realistic character models forever changed the way players perceive a traditional Final Fantasy game. XI would take that further by bringing the experience online. What was going through your head at the time while developing the series’ first MMO?

[YF] “What exactly is an MMORPG?” — that’s a question that I repeatedly asked myself, over and over. In the FINAL FANTASY series, most of the installments follow a story in which you control a character with special powers to save the world. On the other hand, in FFXI, players controlled an “ordinary” character for the first time in the series.

It seems players felt the game was quite different from past titles in this regard, and they were also faced with some anxiety arising from the fact that there were a large number of other people with them in the same world. They may have thought, “How does this character go on to achieve greatness?” or “How do these other players that I’ve formed parties with come into play in the storyline?”

The Vana’diel that you’re experiencing right now is the answer to these questions.

[AM] Though the PlayStation 2 has higher specs than the PlayStation, due to the nature of MMORPGs, the maximum number of players that could can potentially be on screen in the same space is quite high, making it difficult to have total control over any given situation. This is why the number of graphic resources we would use for a single character ended up being much lower than what the designers had anticipated for a PS2 game. I can imagine the designers were quite disappointed by this, but they made it work within those boundaries, and we were able to create a game with the level of quality that’s still relevant today, even after 18 years. I think this is quite amazing.

On a personal note, with the transition from Super Nintendo games to PlayStation games and the increase in the amount of data we could use, the time and cost it took to manage the graphic resources became quite significant. It was nice to be put in an environment in which I could focus on the planning and production of the game itself by taking on the challenge of working on this fairly new MMO genre.

--

Final Fantasy XI made quite a few waves for being the first mainline title to hit an Xbox platform. Released on Xbox 360, PS2 and PC, one of the greatest mysteries is why XI never appeared on PS3. Was there ever a plan to bring it to Sony’s seventh-gen platform?

[YF] During that time, I wasn’t in a position in which I would have known about this matter, so I’m not sure why that decision was made. I would have to imagine it was very much a business-related decision.

[AM] I also wasn’t part of making that decision at all, so this is pure speculation, but I believe it was because they were planning to release FFXIV — which was to be the successor of FFXI — on the PS3.

Though it’s been four years since the service shut down on PS2 and Xbox 360, the game still maintains a healthy player base on PC. What gameplay and design elements do you think have kept players online all this time?

[YF] As an MMORPG, FFXI is a game that requires cooperation and playing with others more so than almost any other game. Simultaneous play with others might make any game fun, but in FFXI you fight against monsters over many days and weeks with party members, and players must support each other to succeed. Spending time with those comrades is very fun and valuable, and it also creates a strong connection between those people.

In FFXI, that connection between people — in other words, the bond — contributes to shaping Vana’diel. Personally, I feel that having this kind of environment that easily allows for these bonds to be formed is what has helped up maintain what we have.

[AM] First, I believe that the time players spent playing FFXI and the characters that they leveled up have become so precious that they can’t easily forget about them. Additionally, I believe that not all gamers are looking for games with battles that require you to have good reflexes and react in direct and intuitive ways.

--

Throughout Final Fantasy XI’s life, the game has remained a subscription-based service. Will it ever go free-to-play or will you be retaining the current model for the foreseeable future?

[YF] At one point in time, we did research on free-to-play and considered the planning of actual operations if a switch was made. We tend to consider this kind of matter more so from a business perspective, but we also felt it would have been very likely that the community might also be hard hit if FFXI was to make such a massive change to the model.

Similar business model changes had a tendency of changing the game from “time-to-win” to “pay-to-win” from a gameplay perspective — you have to wonder how the players would feel if this transition actually occurred. Additionally, the player base has changed drastically over the years, so implementing that new model would probably not have worked without making any changes to the game itself. In the end, we aren’t considering making any particular changes to the business model at this point in time.

[AM] We actually did consider transitioning to a F2P model, but by that point, most of the in-game elements that we would have provided for purchase based on the F2P model were already being provided to the players for free. If we were to change the game’s operation to a F2P model without putting in a tremendous amount of effort in adjusting in-game content, we likely would have had to reset the game data and take away all of the players’ achievements to make a fair transition.

We concluded that we couldn’t do such a thing — the FFXI community is still very much alive, and we still feel the same way today.

--
Do you think we could ever see Final Fantasy XI return outside of PC? Maybe a remaster, a remake or even a potential XI-2 for current or next-gen consoles and PC?

[AM] Currently we are focusing on using our resources and somewhat limited number of staff to reinforce and improve our current service. However, I don’t want to rule out a possibility if we have overwhelming support and requests from our players.

Now that its been 18 years, what, in your mind, has been a lasting legacy of XI on the Final Fantasy franchise and MMO genre?

[YF] In terms of depicting a narrative, I believe FFXI was the first MMO title that used cutscenes to tell a story. Within the FF series, I believe the game presented the importance and effects of the bond created between people through an online network, as well as an everyday-life atmosphere.

[AM] I think it would be arrogant of me to mention any legacies — I’m not sure we’ve even left our own footprint on MMORPG history. That said, and this is within Japan, but I’ve started to hear stories of game creators working on other titles who used to play FFXI for many hours. If we are able to see even a glimpse of FFXI in the games that those people create, I don’t think it’s a stretch to call them FFXI-2, and that’s something I would be proud of.

--

The Final Fantasy franchise has a rich history of referencing previous titles in the latest entries. What characters, settings, enemies, weapons or items from XI would you like to see pop up in future Final Fantasy projects?

[YF] Hmm… I would probably say Chocobo Chick and Chacharoon…

[AM] It would be great if Lilisette and Aphmau made appearances as the quintessential dancer and puppetmaster, respectively. I would also be happy if some of the gear that was famous in FFXI, such as Ridill, Kraken Club and Vermillion Cloak, made appearances as well (featuring appropriate specs, of course).
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-05-20 00:09:29
Link | Quote | Reply

This maintenance to fix the relic gear augments from deeds or address the exploit? Everyone cleaned out the Orb+1 supply in expectation of the price climb, but I didn't see anything where they confirmed the bug report of the exploit.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2020-05-20 00:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
This maintenance to fix the relic gear augments from deeds or address the exploit? Everyone cleaned out the Orb+1 supply in expectation of the price climb, but I didn't see anything where they confirmed the bug report of the exploit.

Not sure anything specific has been said- but let's be honest, when you close a gaping loophole in a situation, you don't give advance notice of doing it.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-05-20 00:42:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Well of course... Not what i was saying

All bugs reported go through a process. They either get moved to "this is actually a bug" section, moved to the "this is not a bug" section, or deleted. They did this with the last exploit and even with the BST pet buff glitch I submitted a few months back. I am saying I did not see this particular bug moved or even accepted as a bug, so it may just be a fix to the relic armor from deeds, since they acknowledged that issue the day before in a notice
 Siren.Kyte
Server: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-05-20 01:40:24
Link | Quote | Reply

They don't necessarily make that process transparent via the forums.
By RadialArcana 2020-05-22 04:22:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't know if people are aware of this but the developers are actively removing files from the game and have been doing this for well over a year now. I assume they are doing this to make installation quicker and reduce install size.

When I say files I mean they are deleting dat files, many hundreds of files have been deleted from the game. What they seem to be doing is removing duplicates of monsters mainly and redirecting the game to use those files from other locations. Optimization basically.

Updates have also changed, they used to always force you to download monsters for new content even if they were already in the game in another location. They no longer do this and instead tell the game to load monsters from current files instead, which makes updates far smaller.

This is obviously a good thing but I didn't see anyone else mention they were doing this so I thought I would, I have installs from years ago and comparing them it's very obvious mass numbers of files have been removed.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Server: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2020-05-22 08:35:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Final Fantasy XI made quite a few waves for being the first mainline title to hit an Xbox platform. Released on Xbox 360, PS2 and PC, one of the greatest mysteries is why XI never appeared on PS3. Was there ever a plan to bring it to Sony’s seventh-gen platform?

[YF] During that time, I wasn’t in a position in which I would have known about this matter, so I’m not sure why that decision was made. I would have to imagine it was very much a business-related decision.

[AM] I also wasn’t part of making that decision at all, so this is pure speculation, but I believe it was because they were planning to release FFXIV — which was to be the successor of FFXI — on the PS3.

Though it’s been four years since the service shut down on PS2 and Xbox 360, the game still maintains a healthy player base on PC. What gameplay and design elements do you think have kept players online all this time?

[YF] As an MMORPG, FFXI is a game that requires cooperation and playing with others more so than almost any other game. Simultaneous play with others might make any game fun, but in FFXI you fight against monsters over many days and weeks with party members, and players must support each other to succeed. Spending time with those comrades is very fun and valuable, and it also creates a strong connection between those people.

In FFXI, that connection between people — in other words, the bond — contributes to shaping Vana’diel. Personally, I feel that having this kind of environment that easily allows for these bonds to be formed is what has helped up maintain what we have.

[AM] First, I believe that the time players spent playing FFXI and the characters that they leveled up have become so precious that they can’t easily forget about them. Additionally, I believe that not all gamers are looking for games with battles that require you to have good reflexes and react in direct and intuitive ways.[/b]

Only, they did have FFXI playable on the PS3. While it wasn’t a direct version, but rather the first few PS3 models being backwards compatible enough to allow it to be played. After the model that came bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4, I think Sony opted not to make the systems able to play it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-22 09:17:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kyte said: »

it doesn't look like an Amano at all and it literally has the artist's name at the bottom
Definitely not amano, not whispy enough. Also the AAGK's GK is going limp.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-22 09:18:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Its quite good, imo.

Whats it? Ark Angel vs a random pick up ally with SMN, WHM, BST, DRG, COR and SAM.

Seems like those yells with <Any job is welcomed>, everyone comes DD and someone else mules is their WHM. At least the SMN can still conduit the Ark Angels.

EDIT: and a NIN. Probably for tanking

I speculate adjustments to those jobs, /conspiracytheory.
By Pantafernando 2020-05-27 08:29:40
Link | Quote | Reply

New (old) ambuscade: dullahans.

Just saw a vid with SMN burning. Description in Bg says this one is a pita to deal with it.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-27 08:31:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Ugh
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-05-27 08:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Different than Orcs? Better charge 50,000,000 per VDV1 merc on Asura the first week!

#inflation
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-05-27 09:11:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Dullahan can be done with SMN or PUP or ranged. It's not the worst month.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-27 09:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

What's the ranged strat? Quick someone make a thread!
 Pandemonium.Zeto
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-05-27 10:12:48
Link | Quote | Reply

1) You bring jobs that use guns.
2) SHOOT IT WITH THE GUN

I just remember the gimmicks were dumb but its an easy fight overall.

Also you can just stun castigation so there's that.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 132 133 134 ... 409 410 411